April 17, 2014 | 1424 users online

Other - Emjoi - Gently Gold Caress Epilator

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My epilator doesn't say "Gold" in the product name, I didn't see this listed so I am placing my review here incase this is a newer model, mine has 36 tweezer discs, for reference.

I have very coarse and abundant body hair, it is dark and I am fairly light, visible even AFTER a daily shave. If I shave in the a.m. and need to go somewhere bare legged late afternoon / evening, I typically shave again. I need min. four blades on a razor, I go back and forth between brands trying to find the perfect close shave. Between the cost, time, and prep this beauty ritual to be the most oppressive I endure, by far. I wanted to use an epilator after seeing several YT vids on the subject.

My goals are to achieve hairfree legs that are fairly easy to maintain in between various hair growth cycles (unlike waxing), eliminate the dark shadow of growth visible from the surface of my skin, stop dropping money on razors, refills, shaving creams, water from lengthy showers and most importantly stop spending the amount of time needed to achieve results that were barely satisfactory!

I took a hot shower, lathered up real good and exfoliated. There are two settings, I quickly realized using the quicker of the two was easier to handle. It will feel like rapid small rubber band snaps but it wasn't unbearable, just uncomfortable. I could only do my legs.
Fast forward to the next day. I repeat the prep and use the unit on whats remaining on my legs, it doesn't feel so bad, maybe because I know what to expect. I even got the top of my feet / toes and around my ankles. I got my thigh area which I only shave once every 1 - 2 weeks and I could BARELY feel anything. I had to check to see if anything was being removed! Once I did my entire thigh area I went over my knees, carefully, keeping my skin taut around corners.

My underarms were less painful than the bottom portion of my legs. I was surprised since I felt very timid about epilating there. However, several YT users reported their skintone improved as result of stubble not being visible. The awkward part is positioning the unit.

Overall, I am pleased with the results so far. I feel like for the amount of hair I have, I could have used an epilator with more power / speed but I just made more passes and it took longer - I will still save time on my shower and daily hair removal routine so, not a total loss. I did have to clean the area of my bathroom floor where I epilated - it was then I noticed that majority of hairs were same length - as in yanked out by the root!

For anyone cosidering epilating, I have had a good experience with Emjoi Soft Caress. I'm giving it an overall rating of 4, I may bump that up depending on my next several sessions. I want to see how my hair grows back and ensure that ingrowns don't rear their ugly head. Unlike other reviewers, my hair came out by the root - it was neat to see how uniformly this epilator worked! Price point good considering the cost of hair removal over the long run. Packaging quality is a five and on that note, I already forsee that traveling will be much easier without having to carry a razor, travel shave creams, etc.! Just charge this baby up, place it in the bag it comes with, toss into carry-on bag and go!

Update: I am used to using my Emjoi now, I have a few ingrowns on my legs but I get them from shaving too, mine are easy to see and usually just require the tip of a tweezer to free them. I am still satisfied with my Emjoi and prefer this over shaving any day!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2012 10:41:00 AM More reviews by pearl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm taking off stars because this only seems to get half of the hairs by the root, the rest it somehow tears in half so I'm left with stubble. Still, 1/2 stubble feels better than a leg-full!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2011 4:10:00 PM More reviews by senoritadurazno

So this product has changed my life! I used to have very painful razor burn and ingrowns in the underarm area. I have been using the epilator for about 2 years and I have noticed less hair, and thinner hair in the underarm area. Also, it lasts so long, and I only have to do a few touch ups. It does hurt but I got used to it. Sometimes I take a pain pill before epilating and this helps with the pain. I bought it solely for the underarm area but sometimes use it for the bikini line which is painful but so worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2011 4:06:00 PM More reviews by manraynj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have used this epilator for about 7 years! It is wonderful! The first time I used it I did the hair on my big toe, and woooo! Talk about pain! I put it away for awhile, annoyed. I'm not sure why I gave it a second chance, but I am glad I did! It is wonderful for the bikini line because there are no bumps or irritation afterwards. The only thing you have to use it the night before or else the skin can look red. I have saved soooo much money using this! The key is to use it at least twice a month. My hair didn't grow in finer, but it does grow back much slower.I might not be the best case to go by because I have very coarse dark body hair. I have used it on my face and that wasn't a good idea. For the upper lip, okay, but anywhere else on my face made me break out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by BelleSade

This is my favorite beauty purchase in years. I hate shaving and was looking for something to get rid of my arm hair as, being a dark haired Latina I have issues with a bit of excess hair. Did it hurt? The first time... yes. It's not the tear-causing pain I expected, and the little massaging parts helped a lot, but it's like a 3 on a 1 to 10 scale. But it got rid of my arm hair! So then I decided to use it on my legs... there it hurt a bit more (5 out of 10) that first time, but again, very effective, except for my knees and ankles which gave me some problems. Then came my navel hair, and it also worked beautifully there. Then I tried it on my underarms, and wow that HURT badly BUT I can go two weeks without seeing any hair in my underarms (this coming from someone who had to shave every day). Overall I love this product, and it's replaced all razors and wax kits in my home except my tweezers for my eyebrows. My only issue with it is that it's not as effective in my upper lip; I'd say it gets rid of say 75% of the hair there but I have to tweeze the rest off. Other than that, it takes a long time; you'll be epilating over the same area for a while for it to get rid of all hairs. In short, buy this. Yeah it's a bit of a splurge but consider what you'll be saving but not having to wax or shave. I'm extremely happy with it but will get the Bellabe coil thing for my upper lip hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2010 1:55:00 PM More reviews by MsEmilyPark

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOVE my Emjoi! It's small, cute, and gets the job done! I use it on my underarms, arms, and legs. It's fast and (I'm so used it it now that it's also) painless! I would definitely repurchase it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2010 12:55:00 AM More reviews by buttercup16

I have the Emjoi Soft Caress in Purple. I bought the cordless one because it was easier to use in the bathroom or my bedroom & I didn't want the cord to be in my way. First off I will say that I have waxed almost everywhere except my underarms.

PAiN- In comparison to waxing I actually found my first use with the Emjoi to be more painful, on my underarms at least. I find that it doesn't hurt my legs really and I am way to scared to try it on my bikini line, although I will probably test it out in the near future because I'm getting tired of waxing.
It has a slight pin-prick feel to it on the first use, but you eventually get used to it and it won't hurt as much.

RE-GROWTH- I didn't see regrowth for about 1 and half weeks. When the hair did grow back it was sooo much thinner and lighter. I even stopped using it for about a month and continued shaving (out of pure laziness) and the hair is still not as thick or dark as it used to be.

NOiSE- It is pretty loud if you use it in the bathroom, it just sounds like an electric razor. Now I just pop my headphones on and listen to music so the noise doesn't even bother me anymore.

COST- I bought it for about $55 from the main Emjoi website but that's because I recieved 20% because it was Mother's Day weekend.
It is definitly worth the splurge if you are tired of shaving everyday and don't want to pay a salon to get waxed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2010 5:30:00 PM More reviews by siennasr

So I decided to try a epilator after being tired of constantly shaving my underarms and the hair growing back and being noticeable within a few short days. At first I was concerned about the pain as I do consider myself to be sensitive. I bought the Emjoi Soft Caress Pink/Purple version off of Amazon for a much cheaper price than everywhere else and instantly tried it on my underarms (after first washing them quickly and using a loofah to exfoliate and prevent ingrown hairs). The process was sooo easy! It didn't hurt like I thought it would. Waxing is soo much more painful in that area. I actually enjoyed the pulling sensation after a while as the epilator's vibrating motion against the skin felt good. I kept the skin taut to make it easier to pick up all the hair. Oh,I also used quite a bit of baby powder before use to make that area really dry. I was done both underarms within 15 mins and no pinching happened at all on my skin. I didn't get any hair grow back for a week and then only much finer hairs continue to come in making the epilation time quicker each time. The rechargeable option is the best and the clean up is easy with the brush provided (I recommend using an alcohol pad to wipe away any blood on the device). The device is even nice to look at and very girly. Thanks to the reviews on youtube that pursuaded me to try this product, I'll never shave my underarms again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2010 12:11:00 PM More reviews by sgamble777

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Yes, this does hurt, that should be a huge "DUH". You're ripping hair out, you arn't exactly going to be comfortable during this process. So If you have a problem with pain and waxing/plucking/threading, hurts you, I dont sugest you go anywhere near an epilator.
But If you must, get the Emjoi Gently Gold Caress one. I bought a $20 Panasonic one at Target and immediately returned it. An epilator is not something you should skimp on price wise. Trust me, buy this one you wont regret it. I did only give it a 4 because in some areas I had to go over and over and over and over which just irritated my skin but since I only have a very cheap epilator and now this one to go by, I'm not sure if it's just me or the epilator at fault here.
Do this in shifts, especially until you get used to it. And when they suggest you take a bath and exfoliate before hand, do that, it helps.
I've used it on my legs(most pain imo), underarms(pain goes away very quickly and sooo worth it for the few seconds of pain), and bikini line(no pain whatsoever). I haven't worked up the nerve to try full bikini(though that's one reason I bought it for) or my arms or face yet, one day I'll concur that lol
It's easy to clean, and It's really not that loud at all. I live in a crappy apartment and my neighbors can't hear it(I asked them since I was concerned about that) and if the sound bothers you, put some headphones on and go to town.
I will always buy the Emjoi brand epilator, never again will I try to save money on this type of product. I highly recommend this to the nonwusses out there :P

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2009 7:04:00 PM More reviews by cheerz2u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OK My first mistake was using it on my monthly cycle (not brilliant I know) BUT let me tell you. I was scared of it only because I am a total wuss when it comes to pain (LOL) but I needed something where I didn't have to schave every day as it was when I shaved within an hour (no joke) I had stubble like you wouldn't beleive. So in trying this, I did my legs first and absolutely loved the results. It didn't hurt as I thought it would but in my calf area it did hurt but I was fine with it after tasking several small breaks and listening to my ipod. It really wasn't that bad. I could not do under my arm area though. I will def give that a try once my cycle is done, but let me tell you, I absolutely love this and cannot wait for summer!! Would def buy and like I said if I could tolerate the "pain" during my cycle, I am sure it will be all the easier when I am not!!