Paula's Choice RESIST Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum

3.6

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone (silicone slip agents/suspending agents), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 (cell-communicating ingredient), Ceramide 3 (skin-repairing ingredient), Tocotrienols, Tocopherols (vitamin E/antioxidants), Ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10/antioxidant), Thioctic Acid (alpha lipoic acid/antioxidant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Ferulic Acid, Caffeic Acid (antioxidants), Beta-Glucan (anti-irritant), Superoxide Dismutase (antioxidant), ), Epigallocatechin Gallate (green tea-derived antioxidant), Ergothioneine (mushroom-derived antioxidant), Glutathione (fruit-derived antioxidant), Xanthophyll (antioxidant pigment), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract (anti-inflammatory agent), Lupinus Albus Seed Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract (antioxidants), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (emollient), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 5/11/2015 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I think this is a much better value than PC's Ultra Light antioxidant serum, because it contains no water and a higher concentration / larger # of antioxidants. Just compare the ingredient lists. I can understand preferring the Ultra Light version if you don't like the texture of this one, which is (as others have said) thick and viscous, like honey but less sticky. Luckily the texture isn't a problem for me, and the cyclopentasiloxane doesn't bother my skin. I apply it second after cleansing, after a light lotion-style toner, to one area of my face at a time -- forehead, eyelids, under eyes, cheeks, nose, lips, chin -- using a rice-grain-sized dot on each and spreading till covered. It takes a couple minutes, and when I'm finished, it has absorbed everywhere and my skin feels fantastically smooth. This doesn't moisturize very much (which is why I put on a hydrating toner first after washing), but my skin loves all the antioxidants, and the glowy, healthy look persists. I don't use this daily -- I think the silicones could cause clogging even for me at that frequency -- but it's a great treatment for a few times a week. I use it both in the daytime and at night. It leaves my skin slightly shiny at first, so I apply a little powder afterwards in the daytime. (I rarely wear foundation of any kind, so can't say how this interacts with base makeup.) There is no scent, and the serum's yellow tinge is undetectable on my face. I use it so sparingly that one tube lasts nearly a year. Overall a very good product for me, and well worth the price.

on 1/6/2015 8:39:00 AM

This is an OK serum, if you don't mind the huge silicone content. Its consistency is similar to honey, but it sinks in relatively fast, so it's not uncomfortable to wear. Although the ingredient list is really impressive, I haven't noticed any visible benefits of this product on the short or on the long run. If you have dry skin or normal but it's winter, you'll definitely need a separate moisturizer as well. (The coated feeling in the first minutes after application and the weird texture does not mean providing moisture.)
The best Clinique and Estee Lauder serums, Paula also praises on her website are far superior to this. EL's Perfectionist makes my skin much smoother, and Clinique's Super Rescue for dry to very dry skin gives the necessary antioxidants, but also keeps my skin moisturized now in winter. Both products make my skin look healthier, more radiant and more even-toned, so I'll stick with them. Paula's advantage is meant to be the price I guess, but in Europe this advantage is lost as well, as the whole brand is much more expensive.
EDIT: I've changed the rating from 3 to 4, because compared to the majority of serums available this is still a good product, just not one of the bests.

on 11/25/2014 8:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I am sort of 'MEEE' on this serum, eventhough it does a good job of hydrating my sensitive, acne-prone skin. It lingers on the skin unlike any other serums I have tried, so I actually prefer to use this after moisturizer, which also works well. It hasn't had any visible effect on my skindiscolorations.

on 10/28/2014 5:25:00 PM

Well, I was hesitant to buy this product because of the relatively low rating, but lo and behold!!

I love it!! Instantly, I got a glow ( bec. of the 'cones' or antioxidants?- whatever).

Still have that glow after I woke up.

It didn't feel sticky at all, glides easily. No breakouts so far.

As for it's long term benefits, not sure yet.

I wanted to like this so much but I had a very bad reaction to it. There is somethjng in the product that I am allergic to because I broke out into small bumps every time I used it. Even though it is supposed to be moisturizing, I found that ultimately it was making my skin very flakey. My cantankerous skin aside, I'm giving this product low lippies, because the texture is bizarre. No matter how little I used, my skin felt like velveeta. Sticky, thick, wet. I really wanted to like this based on price point, ingredients and packaging quality but alas, it ended up in the trash.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this product for the past two months and purchased this because of all its super ingredients. On the positive side, it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and my skin feels softer after using it. However, I haven't seen any positive results- no reduction in wrinkles and no improvement of skin tone. With the purported benefits of these ingredients individually, I really expected to see some sort of improvement after this period of time. I also don't care for the viscosity of the product. It's thick in texture and doesn't apply easily.

on 9/23/2014 1:44:00 AM

I've been using this product for 5 months and have had no issues with the product, just nice skin. Despite a setback with the BHA treatment, this has been the shining star in my routine. I love the feel on my skin and the minor moisture the product gives. I mixed it with a tiny amount of light moisturizer during the super-humid summer and that was all I needed before sunscreen.

The packaging is perfect for dispensing the small amount of product you need without over-dispensing.
The amount of product needed is a drop or two for the whole face and neck.
The feel is smooth and not sticky, but emollient and a little thick. Doesn't feel heavy or too light, a light-medium feel on the skin.
The application is incredibly easy and it spreads well before absorbing.
The absorption is great, sinking in within 10 minutes max on my dry cheeks and oily T-zone.
The price is very good for a pre-premium serum, especially with the sales and deals available on the shop website.
The smell isn't even an issue to discuss.

I will repurchase continually. Best serum I've tried yet, and well recommended. Phyrra was right about how great this is.

on 9/17/2014 1:44:00 AM

sort of mixed on this one. i didn't notice it doing much, other than the fact that my skin felt a little more moisturized the morning after using this at night (i used this nightly for the first few weeks, then sporadically after that, 1-3x a week--it's too shiny looking to use during day). it also seemed to calm redness and irritation, though i just might be imagining that part. so... i liked it, but not really enough to repurchase. this has so many "beneficial" ingredients, that i wonder if there is enough of any one to make any sort of a noticeable difference.

the simple "needle nose" tube packaging is perfect for dispensing the gel serum formula. there was no wasted product, so this lasted me a long time.

on 7/30/2014 2:42:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD THE SAMPLE.
Besides the ingredients this antioxidant cocktail feels identical to the 'skin recovery treatment serum' except the star ingredient featured here is vitamin c.

on 7/16/2014 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff is just plain awful. As soon as I applied it my face turned lobster red. I freaked out and washed it off immediately and the redness quickly disappeared. For the short amount of time that it was on my face it felt heavy, thick, and greasy. Threw it in the trash without thinking twice.

Popular Treatments (Face)