EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

on 8/18/2015 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I initially really liked this sunscreen. However that was only due to the fact I didn't know any better at the time. I was used to drugstore sunscreens being thick, greasy, and sticky.

Fast forward to now. I've since tried a bunch, and EltaMD UV Clear 46 no longer impresses me. Sunscreen is VERY important to me because I am pale/photosensitive. It helps protect my skin from further damage. Honestly I am willing to pay more for a great sunscreen than any other skincare product.

My skin is oily, acne-prone, and covered in broken capillaries. While I can appreciate this product contains niacinamide (helps with rosacea and acne scars healing), I did not notice any particular results from it.

There was no obvious whitecast. I liked that it didn't ball up and look nasty unlike a few formulas I've tried. This actually played quite nicely with my make up. I also liked that it wasn't super greasy nor tacky/sticky feeling while wearing. However it did VERY little to absorb the oil I did produce.

I have since made the leap to Japanese sunscreens. My favorite is Biore UV Perfect Face Milk PA++++. The reason I prefer Biore to EltaMD is because the Perfect Face Milk has a much lighter/liquid-y consistency and mattifying properties.

EltaMD UV Clear 46 is a good sunscreen but it will never be worth repurchasing to me. I think I will use the remainder on my hands while driving. I would only recommend this product to those out there with normal - combo - dry skin.

on 8/6/2015 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Love the spf and coverage! This hasn't balled up on me or caused any breakouts. Only complaint is I wish it was a little cheaper or a bigger bottle for the price. Other than that I will keep buying.

on 7/26/2015 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have been using this sunscreen for nearly 2 years. Finding sunscreen that works for me has always been a struggle. I have oily, acne-prone skin (though less so recently) with large pores and sensitivity. Sunscreen is an absolute must for me as I spend most of the year in Costa Rica and when I'm not there, I'm in the South of the U.S. Lots of sun exposure.

My mom was actually recommended this sunscreen by her derm and gave me a sample to try. I was quite hesitant to try a new sunscreen. They usually do one of two things to me: cause a cystic acne outbreak or leave my face an oil slick.

This product applies smoothly and leaves a light sheen. It provides the perfect amount of moisture (once dried for a few minutes) to allow my foundation to apply seamlessly. I have experienced no white cast but have noticed it does tend to make my skin look lighter in photographs.

No balling up, no flaking, no oil slicks and NO acne!

As for sun protection, I've never gotten sunburned while wearing this product. This sunscreen actually makes my skin look better with regular use. When I run out, I can see the difference in just a few days. My skin looks duller, dryer and more uneven.

My one complaint is the bottle size. I go through one of these in as little as 6 weeks. The price is ridiculous but I'll pay it because my skin needs this stuff. However, why can't they make a big bottle? Buying 2, 3 bottles at a time is annoying.

Still, I'm definitely a believer.

on 7/23/2015 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry, I know this is a popular one and maybe my skin is just problematic, but this balled up like crazy on me immediately upon application, before I even tried to apply anything over it. I did moisturize liberally and allowed the moisturizer to soak in for 20 minutes before applying this product. It dried quickly so I tried brushing the little bunched-up pills off with a fluffy brush, but there were still a lot of flakey looking patches that were too "attached" to my face to brush off. It also left a significant white cast. To be fair, my bottle was a little on the "old" side, with an expiration date of Aug, 2015, but technically it should have still been good.

on 7/7/2015 11:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is an amazing sunscreen. Holy grail status for me. I love how it offers strong protection for your skin but doesn't leave your face feeling sticky or greasy, and doesn't leave a white cast or break me out. It's perfection! It goes on smooth, absorbs super quick and has a light, matte feel on my skin. I wear Jane Iredale pressed mineral foundation (powder) and it applies perfectly over this. I also swear this helps my makeup last longer, with very little oil break through. It has almost a primer effect for my makeup. I purchased this because I want more of a physical protection (zinc oxide) because I have a lot of hyperpigmentation, freckles, scars that darken with sun exposure. I think so far this is really helping my skin look better. Great pump too, allows you to dispense whatever amount you want. I am sold and will continue to repurchase for sure.

on 5/10/2015 6:20:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have no complaints with this product thus far! It absorbs quickly, does not leave a white cast, and I have not had any issues with it balling up as others have reported. I apply it after I get out of the shower and then layer Cerave in the tub over it. I apply my make up later and have not had any issues. I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my forehead last year, and I'm only 25, so I need to be diligent about my skin.

on 5/9/2015 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I thought I was going to love this based on glowing reviews from here and from friends (lightweight + nice to dry skin + not super sticky + matte-ish!) but it balls up so badly under everything I've tried with it that it's pretty much unusable for me. I like to layer my sunscreens if I'm going to be in the sun, and I can't find a physical ss that doesn't pill and also cooperates with my dry skin -- I've tried MD Solar Science's tinted, Skinceuticals PF, and Coola's tinted gel spf30 deal, since those are the three that don't give me alligator face.

Liquid foundations over just this have also proven pilly, and I have about a dozen foundations in rotation right now (shameful, I know, but I'm down from three times that so I think I'm doing OK *sheepish face*). I just can't figure out how to use this stuff. Maybe I'll wear it to work in the yard on cloudy days? I have no idea. My life just doesn't have an occasion when I need a light-coverage ss and no foundation. Usually when I need heavier SPF I'll need to layer to prevent freckling because I'm out in the Texas sun all day. Otherwise I'm in an office and wear a liquid foundation so that I look like I tried and am not just a frecklefaced kid in a suit. A single layer of sunscreen and nothing else just doesn't factor into my lifestyle.

If you were oily this might work with powder foundation...maybe i'll try it in the dead of summer, when I can alllllmost get away with just powder on humid days without looking like a scaly reptile creature. I tried it under just my finishing powder yesterday and that was a cakey travesty so I dunno.

Any dry-skinned folk beat the battle of the ball-y sunscreen? I paid too much for this stuff to give up halfway through a bottle. :|

on 4/15/2015 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have dehydrated oily skin and when I first started using this in my morning routine after my Clinique DDMG it would pill like crazy. I gave it another try not using anything underneath it because it seemed moisturizing enough on its own. My morning routine is now wash my face with water and a konjac sponge or microfiber cloth then apply Ulta MD UV Clear. Not only has it stopped pilling but I've also noticed less redness and oiliness. This is probably from the niacinamide in it. I find it leaves me a little shiny looking so I apply a little finishing powder.

In summary, works best on my oily skin if there's no product underneath. It's moisturizing on its own, helps with redness and oiliness. IMO it's pricey ($26 on Amazon for 1.7oz) but something I would definitely buy again since it meets so many of my needs and simplifies my morning routine.

on 4/2/2015 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Purchased packs of samples, and am grateful I did so. I'm continuously seeking a compatible, non-tinted SPF that will harmoniously coexist with my beloved Chantecaille tinted moisturizer. Unfortunately, despite glowing reviews, this is not the product to do so. I did not apply moisturizer underneath. I applied an adequate amount, waited several minutes, and applied my TM over it. The Elta pilled up in balls, and left my skin dry. (I have skin that is drier than not but now that's it is spring, I was surprised by this reaction. To be fair, the previous time I tested this, I applied my moisturizer underneath and found my skin to be more adequately hydrated. However, I am seeking a dual moisturizer and sunscreen.)

Alas, this product did not fare well with my TM and the next day, I found myself with an ample amount of small, skin-colored bumps and several minuscule blemishes. My skin is very reactive due to general sensitivity and a semi-compromised moisture barrier, but even if it weren't for the mild breakouts, I would not purchase. I used this product 2 times, over 2 months.

on 2/8/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a very good sunscreen for oily to very oily skin. I found it to be somewhat matte in finish, not sticky or greasy at all. unscented for the most part except for a light chemical scent. Don't love how it makes certain foundations look after applied over it (cakey?). Some foundations look better over it than others. Expensive for what you get; love the pump. I would repurchase this again since I hate how sticky most sunscreens can be!