EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This sunscreen was definitely worth the splurge. After months of dealing with icky, greasy, sunscreens that burn my skin upon application I decided to shell out the $30 for this sunscreen, and I'm so glad I did. Without a doubt, this is the best sunscreen I have ever used. It is SO light, like water-light, and glides over the skin beautifully with no pilling or white cast left behind (impressive due to the high amount of zinc oxide). This has awesome SPF coverage, and is recommended by dermatologists. This provides a little bit of moisture, but not a lot, so if you have dry skin I would layer this over a moisturizer. Don't buy this product on Amazon, the authenticity cannot be guaranteed.

Love this! Only wish it were cheaper and easier to find. Great sun protection (zinc oxide!), elegant packaging, great under makeup, and does not cause breakouts! My skin actually seems to have gotten clearer since switching to this sunblock. I will continue to repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

HG everyday ss. I use this and the Daily Tinted. It works well under my makeup and over my serums. I have replaced the Olay Sensitive 15 and 30 ss with this Elta MD one. I also think they are reasonably priced. I can only find them at the derm's office or online specialty stores. Highly recommend!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A good, light sunscreen that leaves face with a non-oily 'glow'. I like that it has zinc oxide (9%) in it too, which soothes my skin (although it can dry it too - this is why I use this in the summer).

Taken a lippy off because it can pill badly if you layer it on top of other silicone-based products. But if worn on a bare face, it's quite lovely.

Note: this isn't a 'pure' zinc sunscreen - it also contains the chemical sunscreen octinoxate, which very sensitive skins may find irritating. My skin doesn't react to it, though - and I have very moody skin :-)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I just started on my second bottle of this; I finished up my first bottle at the end of a beach vacation. (No sunburn at all, not even pink, for once in my life!)

I'm really glad I gave it a shot. I have very fair, oily skin that's starting to show sun damage that I assume is mostly from my teenage years as a lifeguard, as I started wearing daily SPF in my early 20s.

The texture of this is very pleasant on my skin. It's light and refreshing — not sticky in the least — and it leaves absolutely no white cast. After it dries completely, I brush a little pressed powder over it just to even out my skin tone, or I apply a very light touch of Bare Minerals, if I'm feeling like I want a bit more coverage that day. I don't have to retouch all day long. I mean, that has never happened before with even just makeup, and with some sunscreens, I want to wash my face an hour after application.

I like the pump bottle; the product isn't exposed to light or air, and the pump dispenses an appropriate amount. I'd love to be able to know how much is left in the container as I get toward the end, but that's not a big deal. I'll keep buying this one.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I normally use Eucerin's daily facial lotion with SPF 30. A little greasy and whitish, but still an OK product. I got this because it's highly rated in Paula's database for being a great sunscreen (especially for the niacinamide which is good for any discoloration or acne scars), it came highly recommended by a derm PA I worked with, and it's also super safe according to EWG. All of these things pushed me to buy the product. I reluctantly handed over my car… $32 for 1.7 ounces. I've been used to paying $7 for 4 ounces of my Eucerin so this was quite a splurge.

I've used it a few times, and here is my opinion so far. It definitely feels nice going on… It doesn't burn, doesn't have a strong smell...doesn't look white...and it doesn't feel greasy. However, as others have mentioned, it is sort of filmy. I can definitely feel that I have the product on… it's not bothersome but initially almost feels like a dried on face mask. Unfortunately the film is a little SHINY. Not tin man shiny, but shiny enough to make my face look greasy when it's not. Since I don't wear foundation or powder, this isn't an ideal situation... But it could easily be fixed with a dab of powder if it bothers me!

I'm also not fond of the packaging… While it is clean and sanitary inconvenient, it will be hard for me to get the last bits of this product out of the container.

This $32 sunscreen will probably last me around one month. I guess I will wait till then to determine if the cost is worth it… Maybe the niacinamide will have an effect.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Thank god i quit using this.

I tried to use up the remainder of the bottle on my neck. My neck broke out like hell (which is very rare for me). After looking at the ingredient list, I see a few major pore cloggers for me. Tocopheryl Acetate & coconut ether. :\

I had acne back when I tried this for my face...........................I had no clue this must have been contributing to it. Ugh.

In the trash it goes.
------------------
I initially really liked this sunscreen. However that was only due to the fact I didn't know any better at the time. I was used to drugstore sunscreens being thick, greasy, and sticky.

Fast forward to now. I've since tried a bunch, and EltaMD UV Clear 46 no longer impresses me. Sunscreen is VERY important to me because I am pale/photosensitive. It helps protect my skin from further damage. Honestly I am willing to pay more for a great sunscreen than any other skincare product.

My skin is oily, acne-prone, and covered in broken capillaries. While I can appreciate this product contains niacinamide (helps with rosacea and acne scars healing), I did not notice any particular results from it.

There was no obvious whitecast. I liked that it didn't ball up and look nasty unlike a few formulas I've tried. This actually played quite nicely with my make up.

I have since made the leap to Japanese sunscreens. My favorite is Biore UV Perfect Face Milk PA++++. The reason I prefer Biore to EltaMD is because the Perfect Face Milk has a much lighter/liquid-y consistency and mattifying properties. Elta MD UV Clear 46 is a bit greasier and thicker than I'd prefer.

EltaMD UV Clear 46 is a good sunscreen but it will never be worth repurchasing to me. I think I will use the remainder on my hands while driving. I would only recommend this product to those out there with normal - combo - dry skin.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Love the spf and coverage! This hasn't balled up on me or caused any breakouts. Only complaint is I wish it was a little cheaper or a bigger bottle for the price. Other than that I will keep buying.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I have been using this sunscreen for nearly 2 years. Finding sunscreen that works for me has always been a struggle. I have oily, acne-prone skin (though less so recently) with large pores and sensitivity. Sunscreen is an absolute must for me as I spend most of the year in Costa Rica and when I'm not there, I'm in the South of the U.S. Lots of sun exposure.

My mom was actually recommended this sunscreen by her derm and gave me a sample to try. I was quite hesitant to try a new sunscreen. They usually do one of two things to me: cause a cystic acne outbreak or leave my face an oil slick.

This product applies smoothly and leaves a light sheen. It provides the perfect amount of moisture (once dried for a few minutes) to allow my foundation to apply seamlessly. I have experienced no white cast but have noticed it does tend to make my skin look lighter in photographs.

No balling up, no flaking, no oil slicks and NO acne!

As for sun protection, I've never gotten sunburned while wearing this product. This sunscreen actually makes my skin look better with regular use. When I run out, I can see the difference in just a few days. My skin looks duller, dryer and more uneven.

My one complaint is the bottle size. I go through one of these in as little as 6 weeks. The price is ridiculous but I'll pay it because my skin needs this stuff. However, why can't they make a big bottle? Buying 2, 3 bottles at a time is annoying.

Still, I'm definitely a believer.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sorry, I know this is a popular one and maybe my skin is just problematic, but this balled up like crazy on me immediately upon application, before I even tried to apply anything over it. I did moisturize liberally and allowed the moisturizer to soak in for 20 minutes before applying this product. It dried quickly so I tried brushing the little bunched-up pills off with a fluffy brush, but there were still a lot of flakey looking patches that were too "attached" to my face to brush off. It also left a significant white cast. To be fair, my bottle was a little on the "old" side, with an expiration date of Aug, 2015, but technically it should have still been good.