EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.8

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

on 4/15/2015 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have dehydrated oily skin and when I first started using this in my morning routine after my Clinique DDMG it would pill like crazy. I gave it another try not using anything underneath it because it seemed moisturizing enough on its own. My morning routine is now wash my face with water and a konjac sponge or microfiber cloth then apply Ulta MD UV Clear. Not only has it stopped pilling but I've also noticed less redness and oiliness. This is probably from the niacinamide in it. I find it leaves me a little shiny looking so I apply a little finishing powder.

In summary, works best on my oily skin if there's no product underneath. It's moisturizing on its own, helps with redness and oiliness. IMO it's pricey ($26 on Amazon for 1.7oz) but something I would definitely buy again since it meets so many of my needs and simplifies my morning routine.

on 4/2/2015 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Purchased packs of samples, and am grateful I did so. I'm continuously seeking a compatible, non-tinted SPF that will harmoniously coexist with my beloved Chantecaille tinted moisturizer. Unfortunately, despite glowing reviews, this is not the product to do so. I did not apply moisturizer underneath. I applied an adequate amount, waited several minutes, and applied my TM over it. The Elta pilled up in balls, and left my skin dry. (I have skin that is drier than not but now that's it is spring, I was surprised by this reaction. To be fair, the previous time I tested this, I applied my moisturizer underneath and found my skin to be more adequately hydrated. However, I am seeking a dual moisturizer and sunscreen.)

Alas, this product did not fare well with my TM and the next day, I found myself with an ample amount of small, skin-colored bumps and several minuscule blemishes. My skin is very reactive due to general sensitivity and a semi-compromised moisture barrier, but even if it weren't for the mild breakouts, I would not purchase. I used this product 2 times, over 2 months.

on 2/8/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a very good sunscreen for oily to very oily skin. I found it to be somewhat matte in finish, not sticky or greasy at all. unscented for the most part except for a light chemical scent. Don't love how it makes certain foundations look after applied over it (cakey?). Some foundations look better over it than others. Expensive for what you get; love the pump. I would repurchase this again since I hate how sticky most sunscreens can be!

on 12/29/2014 9:08:00 AM

Over the last few years, I had been using Japanese chemical sunscreens. After reading great reviews here, I've decided to make a switch to this. The packaging is excellent - no leakage, hygienic, easy to carry around. The texture is quite thick, at least much thicker than the Japanese sunscreen while easily spread on skin as well as absorb quickly.

At first I wasn't sure if this sunscreen is for me as I have combination skin. I was worry it's going to be too oily for my skin especially in hot and humid weather in Asia. However, I was surprisingly on the great outcome. Thought it didn't have a matte finish but I look fine, no oil film, no white cast, no break out, no clog pores. In fact, I look healthy and hydrated. During winter time, I feel the sunscreen has moisturisting effect too.

Overall, it's a great sunscreen. It really protects me from the sun.

on 12/12/2014 1:18:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought this sunscreen on a friend's recommendation and I like it a lot. It has a light consistency that reminds me of Olay Complete, but with a higher SPF. Doesn't irritate my skin and absorbs quickly. It wears well under whatever TM/foundation I'm wearing and also layers well over other moisturizers and serums. Like Olay Complete, it doesn't have an overwhelming sunscreen scent or leave a white cast.

on 12/1/2014 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I really like the EltaMD UV Clear, it's a combo physical and chemical sunscreen that smooths down well. By which I mean, unlike a lot of other sunscreens with physical blockers, I don't get that awful white cast? It does take a minute or two.
The finish on this sunscreen isn't exactly matte, but neither is it an oil slick, just looks nice nice, well-moisturized skin after one lets it sink in for a minute or two.
Seems to deal well with whatever makeup I want to put on after sunscreen, if that's a concern for anyone.
No fragrance, your mileage may vary about the style of pump bottle it comes in, but I like how it makes my application pretty standard from day to day.
Just received my fourth bottle of this stuff today...I do kind of wish it didn't leave my combo skin quite so shiny in certain spots, it is nice to the drier bits of my skin. So, let the fact that I've bought 4 bottles for myself just this year stand as testament to my preference for this sunscreen. :3

on 11/15/2014 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This product didn't give me acne, but if I wear it more than twice a week I begin to get little red spots on my face... not optimal while trying to form a daily sunscreen habit. Also, it tends to ball up if I rub it in too much or wipe my face during the day. On the positive side, the bottle has a good pump that makes the product convenient to apply, and there's no unpleasant smell... but I really don't use it any more since I found Neutrogena's Clear Skin sunscreen.

on 9/28/2014 1:00:00 AM

Amazing sunscreen! I have tried everything out there and it all breaks me out. This has yet to and I've been wearing it for a year. Don't you just love it when you find something that works perfectly on you...especially makeup and such?

on 9/22/2014 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

SEVERE RASH w/ white heads took 3 days to go away!!!

Although I have Rosacea I have never had this kind of a reaction to a product. And this is labeled and marketed for Rosacea.

I spoke with someone at the company and was not very impressed with their ownership of the problem. The representative I spoke with said the product as having lots of 'medical' research to back it up...well clearly not sufficient research. They did however offer to replace this product with some body lotion.

Would strongly deter you from trying this product ESPECIALLY you have Rosacea or any sensitivity.

on 8/11/2014 8:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

First day using this ss so this is just a first impression. This sunscreen balls up easily. I like applying my ss in layers instead of applying it all at once. Tried that with this suncreen but it balls up easily. Even on bare skin with nothing on top. I had to remove and reapply the ss in one layer (waste of ss :(). We'll see how it goes.

Edit: This leaves a white cast on my medium skin tone :( Also it keeps balling up after drying. Things are not looking good.