October 21, 2014 | 912 users online

Sunscreen - EltaMD - UV Clear SPF 46

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by JillHamilton

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Amazing sunscreen! I have tried everything out there and it all breaks me out. This has yet to and I've been wearing it for a year. Don't you just love it when you find something that works perfectly on you...especially makeup and such?

rated 1 of 5 on 9/22/2014 5:03:00 PM More reviews by Clarapetunia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

SEVERE RASH w/ white heads took 3 days to go away!!!

Although I have Rosacea I have never had this kind of a reaction to a product. And this is labeled and marketed for Rosacea.

I spoke with someone at the company and was not very impressed with their ownership of the problem. The representative I spoke with said the product as having lots of 'medical' research to back it up...well clearly not sufficient research. They did however offer to replace this product with some body lotion.

Would strongly deter you from trying this product ESPECIALLY you have Rosacea or any sensitivity.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/11/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by zaerma

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

First day using this ss so this is just a first impression. This sunscreen balls up easily. I like applying my ss in layers instead of applying it all at once. Tried that with this suncreen but it balls up easily. Even on bare skin with nothing on top. I had to remove and reapply the ss in one layer (waste of ss :(). We'll see how it goes.

Edit: This leaves a white cast on my medium skin tone :( Also it keeps balling up after drying. Things are not looking good.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by silverlakeconservatory

I try to write all my reviews the same way I'd like to see reviews, so first off here are my stats:
- 18 years old
- Combination skin, oily t-zone and slightly dry cheeks
- Acne prone, especially to black heads
- Some acne scarring (hyperpigmentation)

Ohh my god, this sunscreen is the holy grail. If this ever runs out I'll cry!

PROS
- Love the dispenser, you really do get every last drop (trust me, I twisted off the cap one time to see if there was any left over and there wasn't!)
- Applies smoothly and kind of like a serum
- No chalkiness
- No break outs whatsoever!
- Super lightweight even though I apply two pumps every time (that's how good it is)
- Great broad spectrum protection
- I swear this sunscreen brightens skin
- Looks flawless under makeup, you won't even know it's there
- PRICE IS SOOO GOOD

CONS
- Makes skin a little shiny, but otherwise.. that's it! Just apply some powder if it really bothers you (:

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 11:26:00 AM More reviews by skintherap

Since it's summer, the first thing that comes to mind is wearing sunscreen. Being a girl with super oily skin, most of the sunscreens I've used tend to be a bit gunky, too thick of a formula that it ends up leaving a film over my skin and creating even more oil buildup throughout my day (and welcoming some unwanted acne!). Well, not anymore! Since I started working at Skin Thera P Medical Spa, my eyes have been opened to the beauty that is the UV Clear. This formula is so lightweight, AND it's oil-free! What I love about Elta MD in general is the fact that they have a product for every skin type; it moisturizes the skin as well as protecting it from harsh sun rays. What's also a plus about the Clear is that niacinamide in the formula helps calm and protect sensitive skin, which is a big plus to those who are acne prone. I can definitely see and feel and improvement in my skin, and I love it! I would definitely recommend, and repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My review may get a bit lengthy, as I love this product and want to address some of the comments below and provide my side of the story. I am on my third bottle and this is my HG product! Ever since I started using this I no longer have to use the foundation - that is how this improved my skin (and I know it's this as I didn't change anything else in my routine). I use the Canadian version of this product, which although has a slightly different label (no mention of SPF due to Canada Health regulations) according to my derm is the identical to US product.

My skin: normal to combo - tends to get REALLY oily in the summer. While I did not have tons of acne, in the last couple of years I noticed about 4-5 always present in my chin area. Additionally, years of sun exposure have left a couple of light brown discolorations on both of my cheekbone areas.

My biggest issue with wearing SPF was always that it would clog up my skin - no matter how light (I tried at least 100 different ones over the last 10 years). After a very light enzyme peel at the local derm office, she recommended I try this product and I have never looked back. Since I started using this product, my skin has exponentially improved. I have been using it for 6 months now and my acne went away completely (if I get an occasional one during that time of the month - it heals very quickly) and my cheekbone discolorations have faded by at least 80% if not more (they were noticeable when I wasn't wearing foundation, now you can's see it when you look at me, unless you look under the magnifying glass).

This product essentially made it unnecessary for me to use foundation. It mattifies my skin better than anything else I have used before (primers, etc.), but in a way that is natural. My skin looks really nice and semi-dewy when I apply the cream (as in healthy, moisturized), but not oily. After about an hour or so it starts getting more matte on me, and seems to keep the oiliness at bay all day. These days, all I do is put a bit of concealer under my eyes (and on me, this cream does not cause up any piling with makeup like someone mentioned below) and bronzer and I am done. I get complimented on how my skin looks, all the time and people do not believe I don't wear any foundation. The slight (very slight) white cast from the cream actually goes away very quickly on me as the cream is absorbed. 1 pump is a perfect amount of SPF you need for the face in order for it to be effective.

The price point is ok. It's not super cheap, but also, not too expensive given how much some other creams cost these days. One bottle lasts me about 6 weeks with daily use, so I am ok to pay the price. Lately, I have started mixing it with Philosophy's Turbo C (because I like Vit C in my skin routine), which works really well.

With all this said, I gave my mom the cream to try for a week and it seemed to irritate her skin more than mine. I recall mine being slightly red when I started (and I even went through a bout of light peeling - although this could've been from other things), but since then - nothing. My skin seems to love this stuff.

All in all, I can't sing enough praises for this product and I just hope it does not get discontinued. For me, this is HG and all I can say is that if you have bought a bottle, you try to give it a month at least and try to get over the initial irritation if there is one. You may also see the need to reduce the frequency of retinols or glycolics at night - at least as you introduce this cream and your skin gets adjusted.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to like this, as it seems to contain good ingredients for sensitive, acne-prone skin like mine (niacinamide and ZnO), but it does not play well w/ any liquid foundation I wear, or anything else for that matter, and that's a deal-breaker for me. I can't go anywhere w/o foundation, esp. after a disastrous IPL tx. This balls up and rolls and flakes off whenever I put anything over it (moisturizer, foundation, etc.). Looks like my skin is flaking/peeling. Too bad. Otherwise, its attributes are: thin white lotion, spreads easily, no drag, great pump pkging, slight white cast but not noticeable, no fragrance, does not irritate. Finish: a little too shiny for an oily person like me. Not as shiny as LRP Fluide Extreme, but not as matte as LRP Dry touch gel creme or Cotz spf 40 tinted physical. If you don't wear liquid foundation, your skin is not that shiny, and your skin likes niacinamide and ZnO, you'll probably love this.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/30/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by luciferrouslux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's an okay product. I feel like it might be causing some breakouts or irritation because every time I use it I find a few red bumps at the end of the day. Zinc oxide along with cctinoxate are the active ingredients in this sunblock. Zinc oxide is supposed to be drying, and this product does make your face look a little dry but also oily at the same time, which is why I don't like it. My face ends up looking dehydrated and oily even with moisturizer underneath, and It's too drying to use alone without a moisturizer. I have to use a powder with this to get rid of the shine which is an added step in the morning. Too much powder = even more tight feeling on the face. Too little powder = shiny face. There is a slight white cast, but unless you're quite dark it shouldn't make a huge difference. Overall, I like that it offers physical protection with zinc oxide, but I dislike that it contains octinoxate (I personally don't like chemical spf blockers) and leaves that dehydrated but oily look. It's a bit on the pricey side too considering it's mediocre performance. The plus side is it feels relatively light on the skin for a physical blocker, and the pump dispenser is fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by Anieves19

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Feels lightweight while applying it, my face gets a shiny look right after aplication but after makeup routine my face looks more even and healthy and some shine remains but doesnt look bad at all and I know it is not oiliness because my blotting paper comes out clean, so far I like it but I havent been exposed to the sun as much to confirm it really protects from burning, for my occasional exposure during the day it does the job

rated 3 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by bubbelytoes

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am currently having the absolute worst time finding a sunscreen suitable for my skin. In the past, I've had very oily, acne-prone, sensitive skin. I now have oily, reactive skin and rosacea. Before, I'd been able to use Vichy's Fuide Extreme on a daily basis with no issues. Unfortunately that's no longer the case.

As I use retinol and some skin lightening products, I need to find something for daily use. I've tried Cotz, which I think would be perfect for the beach, but it did not work for me to use everyday. I tested one from La Roche Posay (I can't recall exactly which one) and it burned my skin immediately. So bad, in fact, I ran back to the bathroom to wash my face and slather it with Avene Tolerance. After some research, I ordered EltaMD's UV Clear SPF 46. I've been testing it for about a week now. (With my reactive skin, I can tell pretty quickly whether something is going to work.) It feels so good going on. It disappears perfectly into my fair skin. It has significantly decreased any redness I'm having, whether from the rosacea or minor irritations. For a few days, I thought this was going to be IT for me. As the week's progressed, I've noticed tightness all over my face as well as tiny, dry, flaky patches on my cheeks, forehead, and sides of my nose. Even as I put on cream blush with my fingertips, my skin feels ever so slightly sandpaper-esque. I have never experienced this before on my face. I feel like it has curbed some oil production, which for extra-oily skins would be super-welcome, but with the pop-up flaky spots, I'm wondering if it isn't too much for my skin's current state.

In all, I would absolutely recommend this sunscreen, especially to those with oilier skins. No fragrance, clearing up redness, decent everyday-wear sun protection. However, it just doesn't seem to work with my skin right now. I think next I may try their UV Facial Broad-Spectrum SPF 30 Plus with Skin Actives niacinamide added in. I'm at such a loss for a daily sunscreen. If anyone reading has a suggestion for skin like mine, I'd be much obliged!