Target - Up & Up Makeup Remover

3.0

on 3/27/2015 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After Maybelline unjustly discontinued the ultra gentle clean express makeup remover that I loved so dearly, I gave this a shot. I had not previously tried the Neutrogena oil-free remover that this is a dupe of.

This stuff works fine though. It's more liquidy than the Maybelline, which was almost gel-like in consistency, so it does seep into the eye a little but it doesn't really sting eyes so much as it may make them water/blur a bit (like they would normally when you get something in your eye). It removes my non-waterproof mascara and eyeliner with a couple swipes; no having to scrub it off. No irritation to skin with this or loss of lashes; seems fairly gentle.

Sorta pricey for target generic at about $5 but whatever, it does the job.

on 2/9/2015 1:34:00 AM

I normally use Neutrogena's makeup remover (which is also supposed to be oil free, but is not and leaves my face feeling slimy and slick feeling after use) but was looking for a more affordable option. This product worked the same for me as Neutrogena. I wear mostly waterproof makeup and it removed it all without too much scrubbing or tugging on my skin. (The trick there is to let it work for about 10-15 seconds on your skin to break down the makeup first, and then work on removing it.) I really had no issues with this product at all. I will be purchasing it again. The only con to it is the cap which another reviewer mentioned they would not want to travel with it - I would not either. It seems like it would probably leak.

on 1/8/2015 3:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

Removes makeup after significant abrasion but also dries out my skin pretty badly

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Just WHAT is in this stuff?!

I've used many different makeup removers over the years with no issues, but this one, I don't even know what happened. On contact, my eye immediately stung like no tomorrow, turned bright red, and began to swell a little. It was so strange and disconcerting. I have never had an allergic reaction to pretty much anything---skincare product, makeup product, you name it, I'm usually totally fine.

This is marketed as being similar to the Neutrogena Oil-free, which I have used many times before, and although it may be a similar idea, the Neutrogena version NEVER gave me a bad reaction like this did. I thought I would save a couple bucks getting this version instead, but I instantly regretted it, because now I have to pour all of this down the drain. Major disappointment.

FYI: this review is for the remover with the lavender-coloured cap that is marketed as the "waterproof eye makeup remover." Retails for around $6 CAD at Target.

on 9/17/2014 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Love this! Not sure why people complain about the oiliness. I always wash my face right after, or wipe with a makeup remover wipe (I love up&up's sensitive skin wipes comparable to Simple), and the residue is gone. Removes makeup with minimal effort/rubbing. Will repurchase.

on 5/23/2014 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This review is for the Up & Up eye makeup remover with the lavender cap that is marketed as being comparable to Neutrogena. I bought this trying to save $1. It says on the bottle "OIL FREE" (I keep looking at it to see) but what is in the bottle is LIKE BABY OIL. It does remove eye makeup fairly well, but I cannot stand the feeling of oil on my eyelids! It's definitely oily--when I got some on my hands and tried to wash it off, the water just beaded up. I am at a loss whether I got a freak bottle that was mis-labeled, or what.

Anyway, if you buy oil-free expecting it to be oil-free, watch out.

on 4/6/2014 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been using this makeup remover for years now. It's affordable and takes off all my eye makeup. The only complaint is that with really waterproof mascaras, it doesn't take it off completely. But I just use a makeup wipe to wipe off any remainder, after I take off my face makeup. It doesn't leave too much of a greasy or oily residue. For $5+tax I don't have too many complaints

on 1/23/2014 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

I love this product ,it took my mascara off with no problem,I use covergirl lashblast (orange tube) and it came right off, it was very gentle on my eyes , and I always have problems with wipes or liquids because of my eyes been sensitive ,but this was very good .

on 8/2/2013 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This makeup remover is cheap and pretty gentle on my eyes, which I like. As for actually removing makeup, though? It's just OK. In order to get all my makeup off, I have to really soak the cotton pad and rub it across my lid a few times. It's worth noting that I do not wear waterproof eye makeup for the most part, the only waterproof stuff I wear are UD 24/7 liners. I doubt this remover would do much against waterproof mascara. This remover is oil free, but it leaves a slight greasy residue right after I use it. That is gone within a few minutes, and my eyelids actually feel a bit dry afterwards. Even though it's cheap, I doubt I'll buy this one again.

Also, most removers I've used have a press-down-and-turn style cap which is really secure. This one just has a plain old screw cap that doesn't feel too secure, I would not want to travel with it as I wouldn't trust it not to come open.

on 8/2/2013 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I purchased this as I generally like Target Up & Up products.
I was not wearing waterproof mascara but this product did not seem to do anything to remove it... I tried this on several different kinds of mascara- same thing, though, it was just oily on my face.
I honestly feel that my normal facial cleanser works better than this.
Wondering if I got some from a defective batch or something?