Kat Von D Tattoo Liner

4.3

Water, Ammonium Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Butylene, Glycol, Alcohol, Beheneth-30, Phenoxyethanol, Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Methylparaben, Polygylceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium Edta, Carbon Black.

on 6/30/2015 12:10:00 AM

Pros: stays on ALL NIGHT, through the rain and wind, nice packaging. Very black after layering the colour. But the real stars go to how it stays put and doesn't smudge all night - especially on my concealer!

Cons: The formula is "stickier" than I'm used to - perhaps this is why it stays on so well so I'm not necessarily deducting points for that. My major gripe is that one swipe over the eyelid is comes off translucent and greyish - not a bold black line upon first swipe. This means I need to go over the line again, which creates a higher chance of mistakes. And since it doesn't budge, it's really a huge pain to have to wipe off the deformed wing with make up remover, wait for the area to dry, and try again.

Overall, I would repurchase it as it is the only liner I've come across that doesn't smudge. Max number of hours I've worn it close to 8 without reapplying necessary.

on 6/28/2015 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Coarse

Wow. I very rarely feel compelled to write a review slamming a particular product but this one is just so horrible that I can't help it. Kat Von D's tattoo liner is one of those cult favorite products that everyone and their mother seems to revere. When it comes to cult products in general, I'm usually able to either a) appreciate the product as much as the impassioned masses or b) understand why it's so popular even if it's not my favorite thing ever. This liner is the first product where I can do neither. I find it so terrible that I'm almost convinced the popularity of this product has to do with carefully planted advertising under the guise of bloggers by the brand itself. (Okay, I know that's probably not true but I can't understand why something this shockingly bad is so beloved.)

When you hear people talk about this liner words and phrases such as "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," "easy to work with" are trotted out. I find this liner none of these things. When applied to my eyelids, this liner is more of a darkened gray, similar in depth to something like MAC's Smut eyeshadow. I find I need to go over any lines or wings I make with it about 2-3 times in order to get it to an acceptably dark shade. As I go over the liner, however, it has a tendency to drag color I just deposited--think goopy nail polish that pulls away from the cuticle as you bring the brush down your nail. If I allow the liner to dry down before going over it, it flakes off entirely and I'm left with an effectively de-lined eye. WTH? Should I finally get the liner on, looking acceptably close to black, then it smudges and/or fades an hour into wearing it. I have oily eyelids but I always wear NARS' primer underneath which keeps my eyeshadow and all other liners I have ever tried bulletproof. Not so for KVD. My wings turn into gray blobs at the corners of my eyes while my eyeshadow still looks as fresh as when I first applied it. WTH?[2] And to add insult to injury, my liner seems to be drying out already and I've had it less than one week. WTH?[3]

I store this thing upside down, like all my other liquid liners, so that the color goes toward the tip. I shake it vigorously before I apply, like all my other liquid liners. I remove any gunk from the brush before application to ensure the color deposits itself on my lid, like all my other liquid liners. I've tried different combinations of products with it--different primers, different eyeshadow bases, different shadow formulas--and the same things happen to me every time. I've tried it every trick and tip I've read from reviews on how to get this thing to work for me and it always fails. I can only surmise that the KVD line has piss poor quality control and I got a dud, or this product is all hype.

If this product is your HG I'm so happy for you and hope you continue to enjoy it. Personally, I'll stick to Stila Stay All Day liquid liner which is actually "bold," "long-lasting," "smudgeproof," "blacker than black," and "easy to work with" for me.

on 6/20/2015 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is the only eyeliner I use. It's amazing. It creates crisp bold lines and it's very easy to use. It's great for thin lines or more dramatic cat eyes. Will be repurchasing

on 6/16/2015 7:19:00 AM

The best liner on the market. I'll never use any other brand now. Perfection.

on 6/14/2015 7:42:00 PM

There is no eyeliner I have ever used that compares to this! My liner is usually a smudgy mess but this stays put!!

on 6/3/2015 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This liner is super black! I found it really easy to apply with a straight line and easy to fix small mistakes. It goes on smooth and rich which makes the application quick. After a day of work, I found the line wasn't as crisp anymore and had faded some. Plus, I had a bit of smudge in the corner of my eye, not really noticeable, but it didn't look "clean." I only gave 3 stars because of it's lasting power, other than that I was happy with it.

on 6/3/2015 9:14:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

Dry after 2 days of purchasing it! I thought it would be worth my money but it wasn't! overly priced and it doesn't even work well! Don't waste your money!

on 5/26/2015 7:38:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've never found a liquid eyeliner pen that I liked. It is probably my lack of expertise, but I was always getting it everywhere and all into my eyes and making smudges and I just -- stuck with a brush and my MAC fluidline. I tried this after a recommendation from a video and honestly? I love it! I can actually get a good wing with this without messing it up! It's a nice, dark black! The packaging is cute and I really like the brush. So, I'm pretty pumped. It makes an easy-to-travel with liner and doesn't fail (:

on 5/22/2015 4:16:00 PM

Come watch me compare this eyeliner to the NYC liquid liner (that is only $3!!)

xoxo

on 5/20/2015 7:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this hoping that this would be my HG eyeliner. This product definitely does not live up to the hype or price point. It is not pigmented at all! You could get more opacity from a knockoff crayola washables marker. This eyeliner is super flaky and very prone to smudging. First time using this eyeliner and I already feel like it's about to run out. I'm very disappointed with this eyeliner and will be returning this because it simply is not worth the money.

Top Rated Kat Von D Products