October 21, 2014 | 1197 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Sunless Tanning Lotion Self-Adjusting Color

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Adriana265

Why so many bad reviews? I quite like this self tanner. I have it in deep dark & it gives my skin a natural looking colour. I personally don't find it particularly dark though, maybe because I'm naturally pretty tan...but it definately gives me some colour. No streaking when applied properly, doesn't take long to dry, no nasty fake tan smell, not greasy, rubs in well. I like to use this as a tan maintainer mosly, to top up my St Moriz self tanner every 4 or 5 days. But I occasionally use it by itself too and it works fine. Price is decent. I would repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2009 9:37:00 AM More reviews by bettyl0u

This stuff is AWFUL! I bought it from the recommendation of my mom without coming here and regret that. Luckily I only put it on my legs. I am very pale and the color is far from "self-adjusting". It just turned my legs bright orange! So fakey! I compared my arms (which I used my beloved Origins Great Pretender on) to my legs and the difference was scary.
To make matters worse, when it finally started to fade (this stuff does have staying power!), I looked like I had a disease. It was all patchy and no matter how hard I exfoliated it wouldn't come off.
The cheap price is the only good thing about this stuff, but there are much, much better products out there for the price.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2009 6:38:00 AM More reviews by jaya_1981

Good for a cheap selt tanner. Nice colour, the moisturizer is good too- absorbs well but tends to get a little sticky and smelly an hour or so after application. Good staying power. The thing that annoys me most is that the pump disperses very small amounts.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2009 4:29:00 AM More reviews by tbea009

I bought the dark version of this. I found in order to get enough colour I would have to turn the dial on this up to full. I was hoping to replace my more expensive sun laboratories tanning creme with this- however this did not look natural at all- it is too yellow looking for me and it streaks. I prefer the darker brown look I get from sun laboratories. Also, the tan ran out before the moisturiser on this did- I have heaps of moisturiser left. I have given up on creme based self tanners- instead I purchased a mini compressor and spray gun for $130 and have my husband spray me. I now purchase a brand of tanning solution in Australia called Tannacious(sold on ebay)- it has 2 tanning agents Erythrulose and DHA and is infused with Vitamin E, Green Tea, Marine Extracts & Skin Firming Hyaluronic Acid. This is the most natural, non-streaky tan I have ever found- at $20AUS for 250ml it's a bargain- and lasts around 6-7 fully body tans I have tried all the expensive brands too- fake bake, st tropez, sun labs, magic tan and tanacious bets them all.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/29/2008 1:51:00 PM More reviews by ciaobellissimo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

At first, when I tried this sunless tanner, I was in love with it. On my first application, I had a beautiful, dark brown, natural looking tan (note: I am pale). I really loved the moisturizer, too; it came in handy for the knees, elbows, and feet.
Unfortunately, after a couple more applications, I realized that along with the beautiful color, came horrible streaks.
Because I loved the natural color this product provided, I bought it again to give it a second chance. But, I still had streaks after every application (no matter how careful and exact I was when applying it).
This product had amazing potential. But, in my opinion, there's nothing worse then when you take the time and energy to carefully put on sunless tanner, only to wake up the next morning and find you've contracted some kind of skin disease.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2008 11:22:00 AM More reviews by mickeyokc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Im only giving this a 4 because I have only used it once, but so far I'm liking what I see. I used the light/medium and in one application I'm a very nice color. I put a light lotion on all over first, and let that soak in and on my ankles...feet...elbows and knees I mixed lotion and some baby oil gel together and let that soak in. After I was done I went back over the ankles...feet...elbows and knees with lotion. I also wore gloves while applying and used a paper towel to apply to my hands. Hope this helps.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2007 3:54:00 PM More reviews by AFtennisbabe04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is by far the best self tanner ever! I used to go to the tanning bed but decided to stop. My skin of course went back to being pale and I hated it. Determined to not return to the beds, I started trying different self tanners. At first I was scared to because of all the horror stories you hear about people turning orange from them. I tried the Jergens Natural Glow since it was gradual so that if it messed up I wouldnt look totally crazy. It just didnt give me that dark color that I wanted. After going to the store and staring at all the self tanners i finally decided to try the banana boat based on the price (which is a steal at under $6!!!). I came home and applied it everywhere including my face and it looks amazing! No streaking. No Breakouts. I get compliments all the time about how good of a tan I have and everyone is shocked when I tell them its fake and that it is inexpensive. I will definately continue to use this product, I just hope I can still find it when winter comes around and they tend to pull the self tanners off the shelves.
*Edit* Fades really weird and patchy.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2006 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Ruby2003

I have used this product with much success since 1997. Both the non-aerosol spray and the lotion work equally well. Although my preference is the spray as it easier to apply to hard to reach places and does not require any “rubbing in”. This was the most natural looking self tanner that I have ever used. Better than both Lancome and Clarins. The scent is similar to other self tanners, no better or worse. I have used both the light and deep versions and outcome was similar. Highly recommended, and the only self tanner I will use.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2006 3:48:00 PM More reviews by achick

I used this tanner in deep dark and I LOVE it. It looks insanely natural and I have zero streaks. It's been 4 days and it's still on, with no touch ups yet. I think some areas are fading, but it's not splotchy or weird at all. I had no idea what I was doing, yet it came out perfectly! Huge rave for this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2006 12:05:00 PM More reviews by AmyFehr157

I am not usually a self-tan lover. I detest the smell, usually end up orange and streaky or at least spotty, and all-in-all would rather be pasty white. BUT, I'm in a wedding in Jamaica in a week and, even though I've been tanning in a tanning booth (yuck, I know), my legs remain a stubborn fish-belly white, no matter what I do, so I HAD to break down and find a sunless tanner before the wedding. I actually grabbed this one, even after reading all the reviews here beforehand and having my 'recommended' list ready, because this was the only one that was relatively cheap (the cheapest) and actually came with a bonus Quattro razor (nice!) so I just got this one -- Banana Boat Sunless Tanning Lotion Self-Adjusting Color in Deep/Dark. Seriously, though, I LIKE it!! Now, sunless tanning does require some technique in application. I showered, shaved my legs, exfoliated with a non-oily scrub, dried them, applied a layer of skin lotion concentrating especially on my knees and ankles, let that absorb, then applied a THIN, VERY smoothed-out, rubbed-in layer of this tinted gel-like lotion that actually didn't smell as HORRID as most self-tanners smell (even after a few hours when it starts working!) A few hours later, I had nicely browned (not orange, not yellow) streak-free legs! Honestly. I have found that you need to go for the deep/dark color to avoid the orange/yellow tinge and get the brown color (even though I am FAR from deep/dark colored without it!) Also, like I said, applying a lotion to your skin first, helps with minimal absorption and even putting baby oil or vasaline on your knees, elbows, ankles, etc. (problem areas) helps as well at keeping the brown spots to a minimum, and rubbing in your self-tanner until you cannot rub it in ANY more or you'll get some skin chaffing off with it and then letting it sit untouched (by hands or clothes) for 10 minutes or so, really helps. Considering the not-so-good reviews here and the fact that this was THE cheapest self-tanner on the shelves at WalMart (I think I got it for $5.50 or so), I am very pleased and will definately repurchase as my self-tanner needs require since I got such nice results. Now my legs are the same color as the rest of me from the tanning booth and I'm not embarassed to wear my short bridesmaid dress next week (and that was with only one appliction)! Yay!! Go Banana Boat!!