April 21, 2014 | 1064 users online

Styling Products - Sebastian - Trilliant Thermal Protector and Shimmer Complex

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:22:00 PM More reviews by Paigiss

Excellent product! I'm going to break it down :)

Smell: 1/5
Sorry, doesn't smell too great. It smells like an alcoholic drink. When used with any heat product, it develops a different smell that is just downright unpleasant.

Amount: 5/5
It is a pretty good amount! I have gone through about 4 or 5 bottles.

Price: 5/5
Very good value!

How it works: 4/5
It makes my hair a little bit dry, but it's definitely better than other protectants out there *cough*CHI*cough*

Random cons:
-you have to shake it every time you are about to spray it. There's like two different substances in the bottle. They don't mix at all.

-smell

-makes my hair a little frizzy

Random pros:
-works well in protecting my hair

-doesn't make hair too dry

-not too expensive

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 2:29:00 AM More reviews by Jaguilar55

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have applied this on my half air dried hair, use a large 2" roller brush blow drier to straighten my hair and it works very well. Makes my hair soft and shiny. I try to apply conservatively all over my hair, maybe 8 sprays. Too much will make it stiff.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by pixeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

My hair stylist uses this on me, so I decided to try it out myself. I've sprayed it on damp hair and let it air dry, and it made my hair smooth like I had used a smoothing serum! I've used it on dry hair right before flat ironing, and it makes my hair look AMAZING. Super shiny and soft. Don't know how well it protects against heat, but it does look good. Oh yeah, it also smells AMAZING!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 6:50:00 AM More reviews by CookieMonstersHoor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Shiz is drying, yo!
Seriously though, I brought this because I heard someone on MUA raving about it and I'm looking for a good heat protectant re flat ironing. The rave reviews are baffling to me. Honestly, I was skeptical when I looked at the bottle and saw that the ingredients are actually separated. You have to shake the bottle to mix them before each use and they separate very quickly after you shake. This signaled either a lot of alcohol and/or water; also, the failure or laziness of a cosmetics chemist to add other ingredients to keep stuff from separating.
I trusted MUA though - opps! This stuff leaves my hair so dry. Doesn't seem particularly protecting either. The smell, which someone was raving about on hair board, is just okay IMO but not as good as, say, PM Super Skinny.
A sham. Would avoid.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by swimflight

Well on a whim I was at Tjmaxx and picked this up. I I have been on a hunt for a thermal spray. I have thin blonde hair ( but a lot of it thank god). I put some rusk thermal in my hair while wet and sprayed some of this on blow dried and wow silky. Went to go flat iron ( I use a chi) and my hair felt amazing not dry still sleek by the end of the day. I only use this on my ends and not my scalp and I do not saturate my hair with this. I will be buying this product for as long as they make it .

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2012 6:48:00 AM More reviews by Aleppanen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have used Trilliant about a year now and I love it! It is my hq hair product. My hair is fine, long and wavy and especially during rainy days it gets frizzy but Trilliant helps keep my hair soft and shiny without the frizz. I apply Trilliant to wet hair after washing with shampoo and conditioner and then either blow dry my hair or let it dry naturally. Even without the blow dry my hair is shiny and bouncy with added volume and not frizzy. The only compalint is the bottle, it runs out very quickly and the plastic bottle is quite thin plastic so you have to be careful not to drop it on the floor too often. But other than that I will definitely keep on buying this excellent product!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2011 11:09:00 PM More reviews by spikester

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This didn't work for me at all mostly because it makes your hair very wet. You're supposed to use it on dry hair before flat ironing but it is like spraying water on it. It became very damp. I then tried it just at the end as a finishing spray but because it wets your hair so much, it takes the style right out and causes it to frizz. I really felt like I was just spraying a water bottle on it. Not good at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 7:20:00 PM More reviews by underage

This stuff is expensive but it works great! $20 a bottle at most places but worth it. I have blonde damaged hair and this makes it soft and more shiny. Smells pretty good too. I recommend brushing your hair out before you straighten tho because if can get a little crunchy.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2010 6:08:00 AM More reviews by Violet333

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this product because of all the reviews, and I must be the one person for whom this spray doesn't work. I wanted a shine/heat protect spray for flat ironing. I have long fine hair that is wavy. I can get it pretty straight with blowdrying, but unless I iron it, I get an attack of the frizzies within an hour. I sprayed this conservatively on my dry hair and there was an overwhelming scent of alcohol. I then flat ironed. Not only did I not notice any particular shine, my hair felt coarser and slightly stiff. The ends were dry and were sticking together when I was brushing. It was much softer PRE spray. I promptly returned the bottle to Ulta.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 9:26:00 AM More reviews by soraya69

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

So far this is the best heat protector I've used. I used to use KS Nectar Thermique, but my ends still got kinda fried when I flat ironed. With Trilliant, I notice less fried strands, and my hair looks and feels healthier. I'm sure there is still damage, nothing can provide total protection, but so far it seems minimal. I hope it continues this way.
I like the bottle, the faint watermelon scent. I only use it on wet hair after my smoothing serum, then blow dry, and my hair is more stiff than it is with KS NT, and a bit more difficult to comb, but that's ok, the stiffness disappears after I flat iron. I haven't tried it on dry hair right before ironing, I use another thermal spray for that.
I cannot say I see more shimmer/shine because of this spray, but I'm mostly interested in its heat protection properties, as I always use a glossing finishing product at the end of it all.
So to sum it up, I love the heat protection it provides, although the texture of my hair is not as silky as it is with, let's say, KS NT.
EDIT October '10 - took off one point, because I found something else that outperforms it in every way.