April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by ishara

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark skin (NC42) which is also dry and dehydrated. This product leaves a horrible white cast on my skin and after a fortnight of persistence left my face with dry scaly patches.

If you don't mix it up properly before applying, it balls up - not what you want when you are in a hurry in the morning. I felt I spent quite a bit on this product and am so disappointed. Definitely not a repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by NuklearWinterWhite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just eight hours ago I was just about ready to write a review on this sunscreen where I would name it the worst product I've ever tried. There is a problem with this product, and that is that it's crazy hard to apply it evenly and smoothly all over your face. You end up getting a white cast and often you get tiny little pebbles of sunscreen gathering up, which really makes this a rather shitty product as is. So you have to be stupidly careful while applying it, often spending at least 5 minutes just to do it once. At least with dry hands.

Though, there is a solution. What I figured is that rather then just apply this normally with dry hands, I wet my hands in warm water for 10-15 seconds before I apply it and I just leave my hands dripping wet. Gather some sunscreen in my hands and mix the sunscreen and the remaining water together, doing it this way allows me to get a perfectly even coating every time and now it only takes me 30-40 sec to apply it. Two minutes later it's already perfectly absorbed in to the skin, it does leave a bit of a white cast but that's okey in my oppinion as long as it's evenly white. Which it is if you use the aforementioned method.

It is also completely non-comedogenic (I can't imagine anyone having problems with this) and is a very good broad specter sunscreen great for day to day use. I've completely changed my mind about it just in the past 8 hours but now I'm really convinced this is a truly great product. Reccomended.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:10:00 AM More reviews by melsville

I bought this on a whim in Priceline to replace my Shiseido SPF55, which I loved but it was already discontinued by the time I discovered it, so I couldn't be bothered to find it on eBay and wait for it arrive when this is so much more accessible and a little cheaper at $25.99.
I wasn't expecting much from this but the french sounding name drew me in. (Cause they've GOT to be good, right?!)
Like another user said, this isn't perfect but it's the best facial sunscreen I've found. I was pleasantly surprised.

The packaging is fine. Nothing special, nothing bad about it. A flip-top cap would've been better but hey, you can't always get your way.
The smell is very mild to me, I didn't immediately notice any smell.
The texture is exactly as described - fluid. I find it absorbs quickly, and honestly, I don't notice an OVERLY white cast. And once absorbed I don't notice any.
Isn't super matte but doesn't make my skin look like an oil slick like most sunscreens do, even in high humidity! Actually, it gives me a little bit of a 'glow', which I like.
Overall, I love this product. It's one I'd definitely recommend and when I run out, I'll be repurchasing. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2013 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Jameswa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is very light however it leaves a horrible white cast on your face that is impossible to remove no matter how hard you rub in the sunscreen. While an effective sunscreen, I would not recommend it unless you are a female who wears make up over the top of it to hide the horrible white cast.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2013 3:15:00 AM More reviews by Kanaria

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As for the first time of my life, I had got sunburns, decide to use a stronger sunblock, and after seeing it recomended by a couple of my favorite youtube gurus decide to pick it.
It have the sunscreen smell but no to strong, and its concistency is quite a runny so is easier to extend (do it quickly because if you don't so, could leave the white cast) an even is recomended for oily skin didn't dry me out, moreover left me a glossy but no too greasy feel that sometimes pleople asked my if I was wearing makeup when not.
I like even the travel friendly bottle, slim and the dispenser is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 2:46:00 AM More reviews by kitchensink01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the best sunscreen product I have tried. I have used Cetaphil, Clinique city block, neutrogena ultra sheer, sunsense daily face matte, cancer council clear zinc face sunscreens. All of which also provided excellent UVA/B protection. LRP Anthelios XL sold in Australia is the same as in Europe so it contains Mexoryl & Tinosorb sunscreens. All up there are SEVEN sunscreens in the formulation for UVA/B coverage. Perhaps that's why it costs $25.95 for 50ml. I reserve this only for the face & ears as this is non-comedogenic. I tested it by sleeping with it on my oily face overnight. No pimples! Quite amazing despite not being oil free. I do find that if I use the correct amount (approx 1ml) for the face, it is not greasy but after a while there's a whitish film that sits on top. It's only noticeable if I rub my face. It clings to the skin very well due to it being water resistant & QV gentle wash does a good job at removing it at the end of the day. There's no strong sunscreen smell or fragrance either. I do wish they would sell a bigger & more economical bottle of this excellent sunscreen.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2013 4:34:00 AM More reviews by yazmin77

This is a thin milky sunscreen that leaves a white caste when you put it on, on my oily skin it glides beautifully and makes my skin look like silk, my makeup goes on beautiful after this, it proves good sun protection and its water resistant so good for me when I sweat, it does leave a slight white caste but it blends nicely on my light skin.
I wish they would sell it cheaper it's like 17 pound for 50ml and if you wear it everyday most liklely it's going 2 last u about a month, so not value for money but still a nice sunscreen, Would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2013 12:04:00 PM More reviews by karencilla9

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this sunscreen for about 2 years since I discovered the french dermatologic brands like Bioderma and La Roche Posay. I would not say this sunscreen is perfect but is the best I have tried. I have used Avene (too greasy), Bioderma (too greasy), City block 40 (no waterproof) and some other that simply do not give very high protection. I have never got burned with this sunscreen but I must say that I'm really prudent when I go out in the sun. The texture is light and milky and spreads easily on the skin (I use it on top of my moisturizer) however most moisturizers will ball up under this sunscren, so you have to try and see what works for you. As other reviewers said, it leaves a white cast. I'm really pale but I still notice the white color on my face, like a ghost, but simply I got used to it. It's not too greasy but because of my combination skin I always have to blot my nose several times a day. I will keep using it until I find something that performs better with such a high level proteccion. I don't like the tinted version because is too dark for my skin tone. It looks as if I had the wrong foundation color.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by jamface17

Apologies, this review is going to have a lot of back story but I just thought I'd share it cos someone may have had the same thoughts/experience : ).

For reference, I have oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin. My skin also clogs VERY easily.

I'm someone who never used to wear sunscreen. I always thought that since I generally just tan instead of burning, that I didn't need it. Several months ago, my skin was in okay condition, I mainly had quite a few acne marks on my cheeks/chin that were just starting to fade. It was the summertime so I spent a lot of hrs outdoors, my skin got a really nice tan so to my joy, my acne marks were becoming less obvious. However, as summer ended and my skin slowly lost its tan I noticed more and more darkened browny-red marks on my cheeks. At first I thought they were acne marks but then thought how strange.. I don't remember having any breakouts in some of those areas... Alas, it was the beginning of some sun spots!! My cheeks which already had existing acne marks were starting to look off-coloured and patchy! My sister was also surprised cos she didn't remember my skin looking that bad -__-

I frantically started researching all sorts of sunscreens but would always be turned off by that one negative review. Since my skin is soooo finicky, I would always conclude that a particular sunscreen wouldn't be worth buying cos it'll probably make me greasy, break me out and clog my pores. Thankfully, after a month or two, the spots and acne-marks started to fade and I got over my phase of needing to buy a sunscreen.

A couple months ago, my skin took a turn for the worst - breakouts and clogged pores galore! I went to the dermatologist and since I was advised to use a glycolic acid solution, I needed a sunscreen too so she suggested La Roche Posay's one. I can't remember how much this cost when I got it from my dermatologist. My sister bought it at a Terry White Chemists here in Australia, however I can't seem to find it on the website anymore! It's possibly around $30 AUD?

Anyway, this sunscreen is supposed to be shaken up before applying. The texture is runny and milky which sometimes makes the opening a little messy. It's fragrance-free too which is a plus. Not a lot is needed to cover my whole face, I use about a 5 cents coin worth.

Now here comes the not so good part. Like a lot of people have already mentioned, what's with the white cast?! After apply this, my face looks noticeably paler and not in an attractive way. I don't turn completely ghost-face but since I have light medium skin, it almost gets a whitish, sallow-grey-dull tinge. Even if I try pressing the sunscreen into my face then massaging it in, it still leaves a bit of a white cast. And I don't think I can just use less because I need that much to cover my face! Of course this is not much of a problem if I decide to wear a light powder foundation but the thing is, I don't wear foundation on a daily basis.

Since it's quite milky it feels light on my skin. I don't get that heavy, thick sunscreen feeling that I've experienced in the past. It's a combo of physical and chemical active ingredients. I also like how the box lists all the ingredients unlike other sunscreens out there. I didn't find that it made me any oilier nor has it clogged my pores. I haven't broken out from this either. I'll definitely update if this changes : ). I also apply this straight onto bare skin, I don't feel like I need any extra moisture cos I have oily skin. However, someone with a drier skin type might want to moisturise first.

I can say after a couple months of wearing this, my acne marks have slowly faded. Yes, it's probably something to do with the glycolic acid I've been using but this sunscreen has really helped in not making marks any darker whilst being outdoors.

I'd recommend this to anyone who's had trouble with sunscreens before. As someone with oily skin, the last thing I want is something heavy. It's light, non-greasy and also aimed for sensitive skins. It's also paraben-free if that's something you look for : ). If you can get past the slight white cast, then it might just work for you too!

This also lasts a long time so I'm nowhere near finishing it. I'm on the fence about repurchasing this when I do though. I probably will though since it's the best sunscreen I've tried so far for my skin type.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/31/2013 12:38:00 AM More reviews by MacMegan33

I like this a lot, despite some bad reviews. I use it as moisturizer/sunscreen/primer. I have comb skin, that has been breaking out lately. When I went with my boyfriend to get a facial at Dermastore, she said it's because the moisturizer(Olay complete, she didn't know what I was using yet.) was to strong for my face, and I have sun sensitive skin. She recommended this, since I've been getting white pimples and more freckles.
This feels really soothing on my face like Avene products do, I guess its the water in LRP products, that really give it that oomph. I use barely any at all. It goes a long way for me, I pay special attention to my nose cheek area, where most of my freckles are. It does cast a white shadow, but honestly I like it, I feel my face is less red and has a nice french girl skin vibe going on. Once I put my make-up on it goes away. If I put to much Athelios on, it feels like it leaves a resides. Less is def. more with the product, I get good results with a thin layer. It's is a good base for my foundations I currently wear-Vichy Dermablend, Mac Studio Fix, and Revlon Colorstay.
What I love about this product is the matte finish, I get a little oily on my cheeks. Not anymore. It's great it works great with my skin, and my dry patches. At first it rubbed them off and left easer like shavings on my face, but it was my dead skin. It only happened once. My face isn't breaking out anymore since stop using Olay Complete, I hope this 8 month phase is over, I never use to break out.
Im happy with this product. I would recommend this to any person with similar skin as mine. Everyone needs to protect their face for UV rays, and sun damage!!!!! I haven't gotten a burn on my face yet, and I live in a hot hot hot tropical climate. Even if you don't burn doesn't mean your skin isn't being damaged so always wear SPF protection. Even if it's cloudy you still can get burned/sun spots!