October 24, 2014 | 1744 users online

Sunscreen - La Roche Posay - Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 8:08:00 AM More reviews by kathykiller

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I decided to change my previous sunscreen (Avene Emulsion SPF50+) to this because of the reviews. First of all, I like the fact that it doesn't leave a white cast on my face because I am already TOO pale to look like a ghost. I have oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin. My skin also gets breakouts extremely easy.
Also, I like the texture of this sunscreen because it is not too thick and blends like a dream in my skin, it has a milky consistency (needs to be shaken well).
As for my oily skin, it depends. It leaves a little bit of oiliness (like all sunscreens) but I have never experienced a single breakout till today. The smell is unnoticeable because it's fragrance-free. I have tested it at 38C and full sun exposure in Greece, it stays forever and I am 100% safe from the sun. I would definitely recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 7:51:00 AM More reviews by ellie179

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of love here after reading some of the reviews, kept checking if I had the right product! I love this sunscreen. Previously I was using Kiehl's, which I also like, but I happened to chance upon this in Singapore and thought, why not. I'm someone who tans easily within an hour and I rarely burn. My daily ritual includes using a AHA exfoliant and retinol at night so sunscreen is a must.Honestly if it wasn't for sunscreens like LRP's or Kiehl's I wouldn't be as diligent with my sun protection as I am now. I use this everyday (except weekends where I use Nars TM) and one bottle lasted me almost a year. It's the texture and SPF that makes it HG for me.

It's very fluid but applies so easily, unlike my experience with Japanese sunscreens like Mentholatum which has a more watery texture. The thin texture makes it perfect for daily use or even at the beach (I detest the feeling of creamy suncreen on my face at the beach). It doesn't leave a white cast on my face ( for reference I'm Nars SG in Stromboli/TM in St Moritz/UD Naked 5.0, Armani Face Fabric 3). I've only experienced balling up on my skin just once. It does leave a bit of sheen upon applying but it's not greasy. Nothing a good loose powder can't handle.

It's also expensive but costs less than Kiehl's. The other con is that I can't get it in Malaysia! So I make it a point to pick up a LRP sunscreen if I come across it. So far the ones I've managed to procure are the same as what you get in Europe (with Mexoryl SX and XL).

On a side note I recently purchase Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluide 50+ when in Thailand thinking it was the same but in a different packaging/name, but the texture is slightly thicker. Upon comparing the ingredients in Fluide Extreme with Ultra Light Fluide from the LRP UK and LRP HK website respectively, I noticed the ingredients slightly differ. Not sure if it's been reformulated or just different for the market.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/10/2014 9:59:00 PM More reviews by tinka10

This product felt very thick on my skin, which I initially didn't mind because that's what physical sunscreens are supposed to feel like, but it left my face very slimy and slippery, and my makeup would always seem to slide off. But what annoyed me the most was even though it was marketed as a physical sunscreen it only contains one physical ingredient, titanium dioxide. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it takes both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to make a physical sunscreen? Titanium Dioxide gives extensive protection from UVA and UVB rays but not as much as Zinc oxide, which is more reliable at deflecting UVA rays (the ones that cause wrinkles) than its counterpart. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this product, considering the measly 50ml bottle cost me $30 AUD. I think this would work with dryer skin types, but if you have combination, oily skin I would definitely steer clear.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2014 5:59:00 AM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm Asian and like the previous reviewer I found that this lotion left a white residue, for that reason alone I wouldn't buy again.

If you have light skin I would recommend as its economical and comparable to Clarins

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by ishara

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dark skin (NC42) which is also dry and dehydrated. This product leaves a horrible white cast on my skin and after a fortnight of persistence left my face with dry scaly patches.

If you don't mix it up properly before applying, it balls up - not what you want when you are in a hurry in the morning. I felt I spent quite a bit on this product and am so disappointed. Definitely not a repurchase.

EDIT:
A few months later, I am ramping up this review. I had a horrible reaction based on a combination of new products I tried. I have rhino skin at the best of times, but the combination was my undoing. My dark skin was red and inflamed around my lips and in desperation (understanding LRP was for sensitive skin) I decided to give it a try again using instructions from the reviewer just before me, ie apply with wet hands. I am not super ecstatic because I think it can still be drying, but I am using a super emollient moisturiser and this sunscreen helps to mattify it. For the moment while my skin is hypersensitive this fits the bill.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by NuklearWinterWhite

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just eight hours ago I was just about ready to write a review on this sunscreen where I would name it the worst product I've ever tried. There is a problem with this product, and that is that it's crazy hard to apply it evenly and smoothly all over your face. You end up getting a white cast and often you get tiny little pebbles of sunscreen gathering up, which really makes this a rather shitty product as is. So you have to be stupidly careful while applying it, often spending at least 5 minutes just to do it once. At least with dry hands.

Though, there is a solution. What I figured is that rather then just apply this normally with dry hands, I wet my hands in warm water for 10-15 seconds before I apply it and I just leave my hands dripping wet. Gather some sunscreen in my hands and mix the sunscreen and the remaining water together, doing it this way allows me to get a perfectly even coating every time and now it only takes me 30-40 sec to apply it. Two minutes later it's already perfectly absorbed in to the skin, it does leave a bit of a white cast but that's okey in my oppinion as long as it's evenly white. Which it is if you use the aforementioned method.

It is also completely non-comedogenic (I can't imagine anyone having problems with this) and is a very good broad specter sunscreen great for day to day use. I've completely changed my mind about it just in the past 8 hours but now I'm really convinced this is a truly great product. Reccomended.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 10:10:00 AM More reviews by melsville

I bought this on a whim in Priceline to replace my Shiseido SPF55, which I loved but it was already discontinued by the time I discovered it, so I couldn't be bothered to find it on eBay and wait for it arrive when this is so much more accessible and a little cheaper at $25.99.
I wasn't expecting much from this but the french sounding name drew me in. (Cause they've GOT to be good, right?!)
Like another user said, this isn't perfect but it's the best facial sunscreen I've found. I was pleasantly surprised.

The packaging is fine. Nothing special, nothing bad about it. A flip-top cap would've been better but hey, you can't always get your way.
The smell is very mild to me, I didn't immediately notice any smell.
The texture is exactly as described - fluid. I find it absorbs quickly, and honestly, I don't notice an OVERLY white cast. And once absorbed I don't notice any.
Isn't super matte but doesn't make my skin look like an oil slick like most sunscreens do, even in high humidity! Actually, it gives me a little bit of a 'glow', which I like.
Overall, I love this product. It's one I'd definitely recommend and when I run out, I'll be repurchasing. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2013 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Jameswa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen is very light however it leaves a horrible white cast on your face that is impossible to remove no matter how hard you rub in the sunscreen. While an effective sunscreen, I would not recommend it unless you are a female who wears make up over the top of it to hide the horrible white cast.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2013 3:15:00 AM More reviews by Kanaria

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As for the first time of my life, I had got sunburns, decide to use a stronger sunblock, and after seeing it recomended by a couple of my favorite youtube gurus decide to pick it.
It have the sunscreen smell but no to strong, and its concistency is quite a runny so is easier to extend (do it quickly because if you don't so, could leave the white cast) an even is recomended for oily skin didn't dry me out, moreover left me a glossy but no too greasy feel that sometimes pleople asked my if I was wearing makeup when not.
I like even the travel friendly bottle, slim and the dispenser is great.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2013 2:46:00 AM More reviews by kitchensink01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is the best sunscreen product I have tried. I have used Cetaphil, Clinique city block, neutrogena ultra sheer, sunsense daily face matte, cancer council clear zinc face sunscreens. All of which also provided excellent UVA/B protection. LRP Anthelios XL sold in Australia is the same as in Europe so it contains Mexoryl & Tinosorb sunscreens. All up there are SEVEN sunscreens in the formulation for UVA/B coverage. Perhaps that's why it costs $25.95 for 50ml. I reserve this only for the face & ears as this is non-comedogenic. I tested it by sleeping with it on my oily face overnight. No pimples! Quite amazing despite not being oil free. I do find that if I use the correct amount (approx 1ml) for the face, it is not greasy but after a while there's a whitish film that sits on top. It's only noticeable if I rub my face. It clings to the skin very well due to it being water resistant & QV gentle wash does a good job at removing it at the end of the day. There's no strong sunscreen smell or fragrance either. I do wish they would sell a bigger & more economical bottle of this excellent sunscreen.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No