La Roche Posay Anthelios Xl SPF 50+ Fluide Extreme (for face)

3.6

Euro 2015 version:AQUA / WATER DIISOPROPYL SEBACATE ALCOHOL DENAT. GLYCERIN DIMETHICONE ISOHEXADECANE BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE OCTOCRYLENE SILICA DROMETRIZOLE TRISILOXANE ISONONYL ISONONANOATE ZEA MAYS STARCH / CORN STARCH C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE STYRENE/ACRYLATES COPOLYMER ETHYLHEXYL TRIAZONE PEG-30 DIPOLYHYDROXYSTEARATE BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE ISODODECANE PHENOXYETHANOL ISOPROPYL LAUROYL SARCOSINATE TEREPHTHALYLIDENE DICAMPHOR SULFONIC ACID SILICA SILYLATE LAURYL PEG/PPG-18/18 METHICONE PEG-8 LAURATE CAPRYLYL GLYCOL TRIETHANOLAMINE DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE TOCOPHEROL DISODIUM EDTA DODECENE PROPYLENE CARBONATE POLOXAMER 407 ZINC GLUCONATE PERLITE.

on 2/9/2015 6:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The BEST sunscreen I have ever used!! As simple as that... :)
I have been repurchasing this every summer, as it works perfect for my dry sensitive skin.
I usually do not layer it with moisturiser (mainly in the summer) as I feel I do not need it when I use this product.

on 1/25/2015 7:37:00 AM

Unfortunately, this sunscreen breaks me out. I tried it on and off and I'm really convinced, this is the culprit. For sunscreen efficiency, I think it is one of the best sunscreens in terms of protection and research behind; it leaves a white cast on the face, but I never burnt with this and felt protected. Packaging is great; highly hygienic and pretty small, so you can wear it in your jacket pocket when you are in the mountains skiing, for instance, which is very convenient as you should reapply after a few hours. My current HG sunscreen is ISDIN 50+ Fusion Fluid, which does not break me out, leaves no white cast, it works, it contains hyaluronic acid and I adore and I always repurchase.

To sum up, I won't repurchase this LRP product as it breaks me out.

on 1/24/2015 7:09:00 PM

DO NOT BUY THIS SUNSCREEN!
As someone who, in the past, was constantly complimented on my 'beautiful skin' I am saddened to say this sunscreen has wrecked my skin!
I haven't suffered from acne in the bet part of 10 years (since puberty) but thanks to this sunscreen, my skin has been absolutely annihilated. This sunscreen caused me to get painful, cystic acne all around my mouth, redness and high sensitivity.
Yes it is light weight on the skin, and fast absorbing- perfect for under makeup; but I later learnt that this is due to the fact it is packed full of alcohol!
Stay away form this rubbish. It's been a month and my skin is still healing from the damage caused and I will most likely have to see a dermatologist to restore my skin to it's former state.

on 1/16/2015 8:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is my first day of using this. I'm an NC42, btw. At first when I applied it I really liked how it smoothly slided onto my skin and it had a glow to it. I was thinking yay, phew it works for me. I then just patted it onto my skin. But after, my skin dries to a matte finish and is a bit grey, and it's not glowy like it was when I first applied it. (I like glowy finishes). And my nose has flakes on it. Right now I don't like it, but I will try what the other reviewer said about wetting my hands and then applying it and get back to you. This is afterall my first day of using it, so I want to give it another try.

Edit: Day 2 of using this. I really want to like this sunscreen but I really dislike the white cast it leaves on my face. An NC50 girl said on here it didn't leave a white cast and i'm so surprised since I look grey after applying it, and I'm an NC42. But what works for someone may not work for me. I've tried to somehow make it work by patting it in, putting on a moisturizer first, wetting my hands and then apply it. But it just refuses to let that white cast go. If it didn't leave a white cast it would be my favourite sunscreen since it feels smooth on skin and has a high ppd. However after day 2, and understanding that the white cast won't go away, I can say I won't be repurchasing this.

on 11/3/2014 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

By far the best sunscreen I've used so far, but there is definitely something better out there. I'll continue my search for the HG of sunscreens but I'm content to keep using this one in the mean time.

Pros:
- No break outs or pore clogging
- Very lightweight and once it sinks in, you won't even notice it's there
- No weird sunscreen smells
- Handy portable size

Cons:
- Leaves a white cast
- This product cannot be rubbed in like you would with other sunscreen. Must be applied by spreading the product on your palms then patting onto the face. If you use the rub-in method, you'll very quickly start to rub the sunscreen off as it forms into tiny white balls of product.
- Stings a lot when it gets in your eyes, eg sweat or from rubbing your eyes
- Price for the size

It's definitely worth a try, but only if the cheaper sunscreens are not working for you.

on 11/3/2014 7:39:00 PM

No greasiness, effective as a sunscreen, the only problem is the very noticeable white cast on my medium skin (which I tried to counter with a thin layer of BB cream -- I ended up with a complexion similar to the Wayans in disguise in White Chicks).

on 7/24/2014 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I decided to change my previous sunscreen (Avene Emulsion SPF50+) to this because of the reviews. First of all, I like the fact that it doesn't leave a white cast on my face because I am already TOO pale to look like a ghost. I have oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin. My skin also gets breakouts extremely easy.
Also, I like the texture of this sunscreen because it is not too thick and blends like a dream in my skin, it has a milky consistency (needs to be shaken well).
As for my oily skin, it depends. It leaves a little bit of oiliness (like all sunscreens) but I have never experienced a single breakout till today. The smell is unnoticeable because it's fragrance-free. I have tested it at 38C and full sun exposure in Greece, it stays forever and I am 100% safe from the sun. I would definitely recommend it.

on 7/12/2014 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I'm kinda surprised by the lack of love here after reading some of the reviews, kept checking if I had the right product! I love this sunscreen. Previously I was using Kiehl's, which I also like, but I happened to chance upon this in Singapore and thought, why not. I'm someone who tans easily within an hour and I rarely burn. My daily ritual includes using a AHA exfoliant and retinol at night so sunscreen is a must.Honestly if it wasn't for sunscreens like LRP's or Kiehl's I wouldn't be as diligent with my sun protection as I am now. I use this everyday (except weekends where I use Nars TM) and one bottle lasted me almost a year. It's the texture and SPF that makes it HG for me.

It's very fluid but applies so easily, unlike my experience with Japanese sunscreens like Mentholatum which has a more watery texture. The thin texture makes it perfect for daily use or even at the beach (I detest the feeling of creamy suncreen on my face at the beach). It doesn't leave a white cast on my face ( for reference I'm Nars SG in Stromboli/TM in St Moritz/UD Naked 5.0, Armani Face Fabric 3). I've only experienced balling up on my skin just once. It does leave a bit of sheen upon applying but it's not greasy. Nothing a good loose powder can't handle.

It's also expensive but costs less than Kiehl's. The other con is that I can't get it in Malaysia! So I make it a point to pick up a LRP sunscreen if I come across it. So far the ones I've managed to procure are the same as what you get in Europe (with Mexoryl SX and XL).

On a side note I recently purchased Anthelios XL Ultra Light Fluide 50+ when in Thailand thinking it was the same but in a different packaging/name, but the texture is slightly thicker. Upon comparing the ingredients in Fluide Extreme with Ultra Light Fluide from the LRP UK and LRP HK website respectively, I noticed the ingredients slightly differ. Not sure if it's been reformulated or just different for the market.

Edit 2/3/2015: I happened to go on back to back trips to Singapore and Thailand and decided to stock up. It's not been reformulated, it is a different formula for the respective market.

on 6/10/2014 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product felt very thick on my skin, which I initially didn't mind because that's what physical sunscreens are supposed to feel like, but it left my face very slimy and slippery, and my makeup would always seem to slide off. But what annoyed me the most was even though it was marketed as a physical sunscreen it only contains one physical ingredient, titanium dioxide. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure it takes both titanium dioxide and zinc oxide to make a physical sunscreen? Titanium Dioxide gives extensive protection from UVA and UVB rays but not as much as Zinc oxide, which is more reliable at deflecting UVA rays (the ones that cause wrinkles) than its counterpart. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this product, considering the measly 50ml bottle cost me $30 AUD. I think this would work with dryer skin types, but if you have combination, oily skin I would definitely steer clear.

on 5/25/2014 5:59:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

I'm Asian and like the previous reviewer I found that this lotion left a white residue, for that reason alone I wouldn't buy again.

If you have light skin I would recommend as its economical and comparable to Clarins