October 25, 2014 | 1702 users online

Makeup Brushes - Coastal Scents - 3 Pcs Limited Edition Brush Set

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2011 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Classycass01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this set because it was only like 5 bucks which is a really good deal. That said, i think it was worth it. The brushes are okay quality. Coastal Scents brushes are not high end brushes so your know your not going to get the same quality as a MAC brush, but i think these bushes are pretty nice. The Concealer brush was nice and soft but stiff. The Kabuki is nice, not as soft as i would have liked it to be but its descent, does a good job at applying all over setting powder. The Blush brush is probably my favorite, its the softest and does a nice job applying brush. It is kind of stiff so can probably be used for a contour. The one thing i should mention though, is make sure to wash the kabuki and blush brush plenty of times after you receive it because there is going to be alot of bleeding. I had to wash them atleast 3 times to stop the bleeding. I didnt have any issue with shedding but ive heard others say they have so im not sure about that. Overall, i think these brushes are descent.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2010 1:48:00 AM More reviews by jwyl

I hate this set. I hate that I wasted money on it, even though I paid less than $7 for it (excluding shipping).

The eyeshadow/concealer brush has worked out just fine for me. The quality is mediocre, which is to be expected. But it's functional. However...

The blush brush and the kabuki brush (which are made with the same hairs) have been unbelievably frustrating. They bleed a purple-red-brown dye. The blush brush stopped bleeding as much after a few washes, since it's not as dense. But I still don't really like it, as it's not very soft or well cut.

The kabuki brush just WON'T STOP bleeding that reddish dye. I can't believe how many times I've washed it - probably over a dozen. How much water, soap, energy, and time I've wasted. After I wash it, if I swirl it on a piece of tissue, it leaves a red-brown stain there. Undoubtedly it would also leave a red-brown stain on my FACE if I tried to use it there. I will probably ditch this one soon, and never buy dark, natural-hair brushes from Coastal Scents again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2010 11:55:00 PM More reviews by TONFOOLERY

When I first got these brushes, I was really excited because they were some of my firsts. Of the three, I used the kabuki the most. I felt like the foundation and the blush brush were useless. I recently started using the foundation brush and I don't have any complaints.

The first couple of times you wash the kabuki, there is a plum-ish red dye. The brush is really soft but after I got my Ecotools Retractable Kabuki Brush and ELF's Studio Powder Brush, I retired this one and gave it to my sister. I just got tired of it not having a case and the idea of it attracting dust and whatever at the bottom of my makeup bag wasn't appealing.

In my experience, the blush brush became corser over time and it has come to the point where I don't use it on my face. I used it maybe a dozen times. I now use it to dust on dry shampoo powder (which I rarely use). If I had to recycle it, I'd probably paint with it or something.

This set would be good for starters but if you know your brushes, don't expect something like Sonia Kasuk/MAC/Ecotools quality brushes.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2010 4:02:00 PM More reviews by tsd715

OK, I'm the first to say I fully recognize these are not "high end" brushes - That said, 2 of them are still my go-to brushes for everything! The buki and blush brushes hold more pigment and apply it better than any expensive brush I own. I plan to stock up on these.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/11/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by primor2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I like them, dont really "LOVE" them and i dont reach for them as much as i do with other Coastal Scents brushes, but i do like the powder brush for contouring and the concealer brush is good too, the kabuki brush is also good for powder foundation This is a good buy if your starting in makeup or want to play around w/ brushes. worth re purchasing

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2009 11:54:00 AM More reviews by brandsjunkie

these were one of the first sets of brushes i had ordered from coastal scents. i'm definitely in love with the kabuki brush. i use it to apply my foundation and it works great. although like others i found that when i washed the brush for the first time, some brown-ish colours came out of it. i find that the concealer brush works quite well too. i use it to apply my lise watier concealer wheel. the last brush, the blush brush i don't use as much as i don't apply blush daily. but other than that, the brushes are quite soft and does not pickle my face as did some other brushes. all in all, great deal for $10. love the finish of the brushes as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2009 2:06:00 AM More reviews by RvluvsRv

overall I loved all the brushes in the set, the quality is pretty amazing compared to the price!!! They did not shed a lot about 5 hairs in total during the first wash and a brown reddish dye from the kabuki and blush brushes. The conceler brush was just perfect!! I would really recommend this product if you're on a budget looking for great quality!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2008 5:54:00 PM More reviews by sashimigirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great value if you are looking for a basic set of brushes. This was offered beginning Thanksgiving weekend 2008 and as of 12.8.08 is still available though they say quantities are limited.

The set is 3 brushes: a full-size kabuki, a round blush/powder brush, and a concealer brush that could also be used as a fluffy/larger eyeshadow or blending brush. the kabuki and power brush are goat/sable hair and black, the concealer brush is light brown taklon.

All three brushes are decent quality, the bristles are very thick and soft, not scratchy at all. They made it through a washing just fine, no excessive shedding or tangling. The kabuki brush is similar quality to the Ulta Pro retractable kabuki brush I bought for ~$30. The powder brush is way nicer than a basic quality one I bought from the drugstore one day cause I was desperate for $10. Concealer brush is about the same quality as a Sonia Kashuk one I bought for about $7...maybe fluffier.

Maybe they are not the absolute best brushes you can buy (though they work just fine for me), but at $10 for the set? That's a steal!

Coastal Scents shipped pretty quick considering I am on the opposite coast and opted for USPS 1st class shipping. Brushes came packaged with plastic wrapping around the bristles of each brush, the brushes inside an organza drawstring bag, and all in a bubble mailer.

I think these are higher end brushes for Coastal Scents, because they included a free gift of a baby kabuki with brown bristles that was obviously of lower quality.

**EDIT 12/10/08**: okay, on a second wash I got that weird dye-washing-out issue that others have noted in their CS brush reviews, plus once they dried the natural hair brushes (kabuki and powder) got a little rough. I'll still leave the set at 4 lippies cause they are still decent quality and the price is amazing. But you should know about those issues if they are important to you.