NYX Powder Blush - Taupe

4.2

on 8/31/2015 4:59:00 PM

So many people had said that this was a natural looking contour color for fair skin that I had to try it. (I'm an NW15-20). When you look at it in the pan, it doesn't look like much. It's sort of grey-brown-lilac. Yet somehow, magically, it is the perfect contour color. It actually looks like a shadow on my face, which is the idea behind contouring. At $4.99, this is one of those true affordable gems.

on 8/22/2015 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

This makes for an AMAZING contour shade on light skin tones. I can't say it looks completely natural, but only because i have a very round, flat face and bigger eyebags than i do cheekbones (not even joking). But considering i have to carve out cheekbones from nothing, this looks so good. The shade makes it look like a natural shadow, but it's not so grey that it makes my complexion dull. It also has a slight pinky-lavender hue to it when you blend it out, so it blends in seamlessly with my blush. Not a lot of pigment comes out because this blush has a slightly waxier, harder texture than the other colours in the line, but that helps in making it not look too powdery on the face. I use this every time i wear makeup and i'm seriously dreading the day i run out because my face will revert back to looking like a ball.

on 7/31/2015 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I purchased this blush to use as a contour color. It has a greyish undertone that's supposedly perfect for contouring. Bronzer is not recommended as a contour product because it's designed to warm up the skin and often has an orange undertone. A more grayish powder is closer to the actual color of the shadows on the face. Or at least, that's the theory. However, when I applied this blush to the hollows under my cheekbones, it looked very muddy. It looked like I had actually applied mud to my face. It resembled a dirty smudge, which is NOT the look I was going for. Although it's a matte shade and although I will agree that bronzer is not a suitable contour product, I think I'll try the Kevin Aucoin sculpting powder instead. Yes, it's considerably more money but you get what you pay for. I'm glad this taupe powder works for so many people, but it's definitely not suitable for me. I wanted something that would give me the chiseled cheekbones of my youth and something that would accentuate the apples of my cheeks. Instead, I got a dirty face and had to wash everything off and start over!! I definitely don't recommend this color for contouring unless you have darker skin. Mine is light, but not fair, so it looked like I had wiped brown earth across my face. Not a good look, I promise you.

on 7/14/2015 3:25:00 AM

When I bought this last year, it was my first real contouring product. I think it's a great product for beginners because it's not easy to go overboard. With a fluffy contour brush, it takes several layers to get a significant contour. I usually just use this in the hollows of my cheeks and around my forehead, but it's also very useful for nose contouring as well. There may be better products out there, but for now, I'm content with this product. definitely worth trying.

on 6/13/2015 7:24:00 PM

this is a great contour shade for pale girls like myself..its very cool toned and creates the perfect shadow.. its very pigmented not powdery at all nice and smooth and easy to blend out..

on 5/26/2015 3:53:00 AM

It's the most natural product for contouring my check-bone and nose. Being a drugstore product makes this powder becomes a staple items in my everyday makeup routine.

on 5/19/2015 7:44:00 PM

This product only works well on FAIR skin tone for all over face contouring. I have light/medium skin (nc25) and it barely shows up. I have to rub my brush pretty hard to get any color pay off. The product is on my brush, its just the color that doesn't show up. I tried this as nose contouring by using a smaller denser brush and it seems to work good, I like it for this purpose. its very grey with a bit of warmth and purple in it.

on 4/12/2015 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Caveat: This only gets 2 stars because it didn't work for me and as a "heads up" to others with my skin tone. If you are pale this would be THE BOMB contouring product and likely get a 5 star rating easily!

Note to NC30's and darker:
This will NOT work for you as a contouring product - It will be too light and if you are warm toned and try to pack it on for some sort of color payoff or attempt to use it as a barely there blush, it will look too grey and muddy.

Note to pale skin shades = lighter than NC30:
This is gonna look awesome as a contour! Especially if cool toned.

Pro's and cons abt the product:
Dirt cheap stuff here so if it works for you congrats! There is a ton of fallout to this product but it's so inexpensive that's not a big deal I suppose. Dispite fallout, I don't find this to be chalky on actual application and it seems easily blendable. This is inexpensive enough for anyone to give it a try and see how they feel about it. If you are a contouring newbie this is a good place to start experimenting as well. I highly recomend this for pale skinned folks, not at all for medium and darker.

on 4/5/2015 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This doesn't have much pigmentation, I find it hard to get enough product on my brush. This blush is chalky and does not show up to much on my NC30 (yellow) skin tone. I think this would look better on lighter and cooler skintones. I personally don't like the formula, not pigmented enough does not blend well and my brushes don't pick up much of the product, I tossed it!

on 3/22/2015 7:39:00 PM

I have this shade in both original and HD formula. It's a very cool tone, grey taupe. For my NC25-30 it works awesome as a contour shade. I would never wear this as a blush. The original isnt very light in pigmentation but build-able. It looks like it was have a sheen but it's matte. The HD kicks up more powder and is more pigmented. You can still get a light/day contour and a dramatic/night contour. It's my HG contour

Popular Blush Products