September 21, 2014 | 1227 users online

Styling Products - Lamaur Vitae/e - Unscented Ultra Hold Hair Spray

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by DLYNN

This Lamaur Vitae-e Ultra Hold Hairspray has a mild scent, if any real scent at all. It runs about $6-$8 at beauty supply shops. I used this hairspray for my wedding and it held the curl well. It takes a lot of hairspray to feel crunchy or stiff. The hold is good without the look of having applied a lot of hairspray. This is better than the average brand sold in mass market stores, with the nearest similar product being the aerosol hairspray by Tresemme (which I would use but for the perfume fragrance setting off my asthma).

Unlike other hairsprays that claim to leave hair "touchably soft" but are in reality totally devoid of holding power, this product continues to hold the style even when it doesn't "feel" like there's a lot there. You can spray as much or as little as you like without the characteristic flakey buildup.

I turned to this product after noticing that the drugstore brand hairsprays seemed to be losing their hold. The ultimate and maximum hold hairsprays I once purchased just don't do the job anymore even though my hair texture and style haven't changed much in 10 years. My impression is that manufacturers are cheapening the formulas to force consumers to use twice as much product with half the result. This makes them more money because consumers are forced to go out and buy hairspray that much more often. Talk about sneaky!

After going through bottle after bottle mainstream retail hairspray, I came to the conclusion that the products I have used and known for years just don't have the same quality they once did. The final straw for me this past summer was when not one but three different cans of Aussie Instant Freeze, which I had been using this past couple of years, had a defective spray nozzle. The product began to leak down the side of the can rather than spray out, and it would lose pressure, too. I went to three different stores trying to find a can that wasn't a dud but they all did the same thing. At first I thought the mass market brands were just cheapening their formulas, but it would appear their packaging is lacking, too. (Oddly, I had a packaging issue with two different brands of roll-on deodorant around the same time --- the roller ball was so tight it wouldn't dispense any product and I kept having to return deodorants!) In short, all the hassle with the store brands has caused me to turn to the professional variety. I can thank my hairstylist for pointing me in the right direction.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 10:22:00 AM More reviews by Manillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great hair spray! It provides excellent hold, however you must spray ALOT! The alcoholic scent is almost unbearable since I have the "unscented" brand, so I have to hold my nose when I spray it, and then move elsewhere. It holds my curls/waves magnificently for about $2. Can't beat that.