Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 7/26/2015 1:09:00 PM

The name Youth Dew is an interesting choice, as there is nothing youthful or dewy about this fragrance. I finally got around to testing this in Boots, I sprayed a good amount on my wrist, and what can i say? It smells almost exactly like Tweed by Lentheric, a seventies/early eighties favourite. I can remember going to family parties in the 70's, and there were always four things there, pineapple & cheese on cocktail sticks, black forest gateau slowly thawing, Pernod and black, and the scent of Tweed thick in the air (generally mixing with clouds of cigarette smoke).

It's a heavy, dated fragrance, and truthfully I can't imagine it smelling good on anyone. Maybe it does though, who knows? It's not for me.

on 6/10/2015 7:46:00 PM

Mixed emotions about Youth Dew. I should say first it DOES NOT work on me, in any way.

Not at all.

It smells like, for lack of a better word, "dirt." I mean that literal. It smells like "dirt" on me. What does not smell like, smells like dirty, baby diapers. :(

Just not compatible with my skin chemistry. I bought it from the Estee Lauder website, directly, so I know I received a real bottle of Youth Dew.

It's horrendously awful on me - and it stayed on for a full 24 hours, despite showering TWICE to get rid of the smell! I was prepared to thoroughly detest this perfume until something unmistakable and unbelievable happened:

My mother and sister stopped by to visit and I informed of them of my rather terrible, Youth Dew "ordeal." :) My mother asked to smell it and I still had the bottle, so I bought it out. She tried it on and my goodness, did it smell beautiful on her. Just heavenly. All woods and spices but so deep and complex that if it smelled like that on me, I would wear nothing else for life.

It was GORGEOUS and completed it's reputation of "masterpiece" on her. Then, my sister tried it and it worked the same on her. Beautiful.

So, I gave it 5 stars because if it works on your own skin chemistry, it is a great and full, beauty. But if not, it's a thing of *terrible.* LOL I, humbly, put forward that you try it on in a store and see how it works on you. I'd advise against buying it, online.

on 4/13/2015 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I can appreciate this fragrance for what it is - intense with that old-world glam charm. It is complex and beautiful, but just too heavy and doesn't suit my chemistry or personality. Very sophisticated and this will take the right woman to carry it off. It is luxury in a bottle and I wanted this to work for me - I adore the vintage bottle with the bow. Alas, my free spirited and casual ways finds it hard to pull this classic off.

on 4/7/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

A lot of people mention this fragrance in the same sentence as Tabu.

I respect others' noses, but I'm not seein' that analogy.

Tabu is richer, deeper, more active, warmer, more vibrant, more involving. Youth Dew just sits there. It is more severe, less inviting, more earthy, less malleable. My college roommate in 1981, who was more outgoing than I was, wore Youth Dew very well. I didn't. It smelled like affectation on me - not natural at all. And I hate that fact, both because I bought a big old bottle of it because I was in a big Oriental fragrance phase, and because I am never, ever gonna wear this again, it being way more staid than I am - and I'm pretty restrained, really.

Earthy is fine, but this just smelled like dirt on me. Orientals are my favorite class of scent but there's nothing "Dew"-y about this.

I'm 52 years old so I guess I qualify as an "old lady" by some standards, and I don't care to label something with a pejorative that has no meaning - "old lady"? We're all gonna get there, if we're lucky - some of us more quickly than one might wish, and that's a straight fact, y'all, sorry - and I have nothing against Estee Lauder, "Sensuous" being one of my top-three favorite scents. But this fragrance comes closest to the "old lady" label of any I have ever smelled except for (wait for it!) Chanel No. 5. So I guess I gotta go there.

on 9/28/2014 10:28:00 PM

I have a small bottle of vintage bath oil. The smallest single dab of the oil creates a lush, warm, slightly amber herbal skin scent that is somehow also evocative of clean, soapy skin. Soapy but not powdery.

If you wear a single dab it's not musty, fecal, loud, or scary. It also does not register as a powerhouse oriental like vintage opium extrait or vintage Shalimar eau de cologne or parfum de toilette.

Although it is herbal, youth dew is far easier to wear than the EL traditional herbal floral chypres azuree, aliage. (Incidentally, I do not recommend spraying azuree or aliage either - the scent trail would knock you out and last through several intensive scrubbings). But, I dab almost everything and hate sillage of any kind.

In fact, in very tiny quantities, Youth Dew reminds me a bit of vintage vol de nuit extrait, which I also dab. It is more powdery, sharp and astringent than vintage vol de nuit. But, it is also much less expensive and easier to obtain.

I would never buy youth dew in a EdP atomizer format. I cannot imagine spraying this ever.

on 8/29/2014 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love vintage fragrances and I finally got around to purchasing this one. This is a very unique scent and I love that about it. It's funny how alot of people say this is very strong but on me it's very light and I almost wish it was a bit stronger but it blends very well with my body chemistry. It reminds me of the smell that comes out of the woods on a breezy, crisp fall day with a touch of fireplace in the distance. Just lovely and fresh!

on 6/23/2014 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is one of those scents that instantly assaults your nose. It's putrid and offensive.
It evoked my body's fight or flight response. I nearly threw the tester bottle in a fit of rage after I smelled this. Luckily I had a loved one with me that helped me calm down.

It smells like what would happen if I mixed every perfume I've ever owned into a bottle and topped it off with some rotten roadkill liver.

I guess if I had to describe this "perfume" in more specific terms, I would have to call it a sweaty, moth ball, oriental.

on 6/13/2014 10:13:00 PM

I've owned many a bottle and powder-box of this stuff over the years, drawn (I think) to its unmistakable, bold signature and formidable history. It's something I remember my grandmother bathing in and my mom applying sparingly from time to time. It's unique and deserving of its cult status. Yet, in all honesty: how many times did I open that box of powder, trying to like it, and instead thinking, "Who crapped in this box?" How many times did I twist off the cap of that bath oil and decide, "Uh... maybe tomorrow"?

Fact is, the fecal indoles in Youth-Dew just ruin it for me every time. It smells like adult diapers, with a few roses and cinnamon sticks trying to compete for airspace. I can't get past that. I'm done trying. But I will concede some people smell like an amazing hippie headshop in this stuff. Most, though, smell like poop. (Including a lovely, elegantly-dressed coworker who wears YD every day because she thinks she's being a retro femme fatale, and instead smells like poop. I stand my distance respectfully.)

on 5/12/2014 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

If you don't like big, foxy orientals, stop reading now.

But if you do...this is a lady of a certain age who has left a loveless marriage and is ecstatic to find that she is as sensually alive now as she was when she was twenty. You'll want to kiss the wearer on both cheeks and take her out for a night on the town to celebrate her good luck.

on 2/6/2014 5:15:00 PM

Possibly one of the worst stenches around! On a par with aromatics elixir yuck yuck yuck. Always reminds me of a client who's hair I used to blowdry once a week, she was a lovely lady but I used to take 2 paracetamol before she entered the salon as that wretched stench took my breath away and used to give me a migraine. Not nice at all!

Popular Fragrances