Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 4/13/2015 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I can appreciate this fragrance for what it is - intense with that old-world glam charm. It is complex and beautiful, but just too heavy and doesn't suit my chemistry or personality. Very sophisticated and this will take the right woman to carry it off. It is luxury in a bottle and I wanted this to work for me - I adore the vintage bottle with the bow. Alas, my free spirited and casual ways finds it hard to pull this classic off.

on 4/7/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

A lot of people mention this fragrance in the same sentence as Tabu.

I respect others' noses, but I'm not seein' that analogy.

Tabu is richer, deeper, more active, warmer, more vibrant, more involving. Youth Dew just sits there. It is more severe, less inviting, more earthy, less malleable. My college roommate in 1981, who was more outgoing than I was, wore Youth Dew very well. I didn't. It smelled like affectation on me - not natural at all. And I hate that fact, both because I bought a big old bottle of it because I was in a big Oriental fragrance phase, and because I am never, ever gonna wear this again, it being way more staid than I am - and I'm pretty restrained, really.

Earthy is fine, but this just smelled like dirt on me. Orientals are my favorite class of scent but there's nothing "Dew"-y about this.

I'm 52 years old so I guess I qualify as an "old lady" by some standards, and I don't care to label something with a pejorative that has no meaning - "old lady"? We're all gonna get there, if we're lucky - some of us more quickly than one might wish, and that's a straight fact, y'all, sorry - and I have nothing against Estee Lauder, "Sensuous" being one of my top-three favorite scents. But this fragrance comes closest to the "old lady" label of any I have ever smelled except for (wait for it!) Chanel No. 5. So I guess I gotta go there.

on 9/28/2014 10:28:00 PM

I have a small bottle of vintage bath oil. The smallest single dab of the oil creates a lush, warm, slightly amber herbal skin scent that is somehow also evocative of clean, soapy skin. Soapy but not powdery.

If you wear a single dab it's not musty, fecal, loud, or scary. It also does not register as a powerhouse oriental like vintage opium extrait or vintage Shalimar eau de cologne or parfum de toilette.

Although it is herbal, youth dew is far easier to wear than the EL traditional herbal floral chypres azuree, aliage. (Incidentally, I do not recommend spraying azuree or aliage either - the scent trail would knock you out and last through several intensive scrubbings). But, I dab almost everything and hate sillage of any kind.

In fact, in very tiny quantities, Youth Dew reminds me a bit of vintage vol de nuit extrait, which I also dab. It is more powdery, sharp and astringent than vintage vol de nuit. But, it is also much less expensive and easier to obtain.

I would never buy youth dew in a EdP atomizer format. I cannot imagine spraying this ever.

on 8/29/2014 10:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love vintage fragrances and I finally got around to purchasing this one. This is a very unique scent and I love that about it. It's funny how alot of people say this is very strong but on me it's very light and I almost wish it was a bit stronger but it blends very well with my body chemistry. It reminds me of the smell that comes out of the woods on a breezy, crisp fall day with a touch of fireplace in the distance. Just lovely and fresh!

on 6/23/2014 3:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is one of those scents that instantly assaults your nose. It's putrid and offensive.
It evoked my body's fight or flight response. I nearly threw the tester bottle in a fit of rage after I smelled this. Luckily I had a loved one with me that helped me calm down.

It smells like what would happen if I mixed every perfume I've ever owned into a bottle and topped it off with some rotten roadkill liver.

I guess if I had to describe this "perfume" in more specific terms, I would have to call it a sweaty, moth ball, oriental.

on 6/13/2014 10:13:00 PM

I've owned many a bottle and powder-box of this stuff over the years, drawn (I think) to its unmistakable, bold signature and formidable history. It's something I remember my grandmother bathing in and my mom applying sparingly from time to time. It's unique and deserving of its cult status. Yet, in all honesty: how many times did I open that box of powder, trying to like it, and instead thinking, "Who crapped in this box?" How many times did I twist off the cap of that bath oil and decide, "Uh... maybe tomorrow"?

Fact is, the fecal indoles in Youth-Dew just ruin it for me every time. It smells like adult diapers, with a few roses and cinnamon sticks trying to compete for airspace. I can't get past that. I'm done trying. But I will concede some people smell like an amazing hippie headshop in this stuff. Most, though, smell like poop. (Including a lovely, elegantly-dressed coworker who wears YD every day because she thinks she's being a retro femme fatale, and instead smells like poop. I stand my distance respectfully.)

on 5/12/2014 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

If you don't like big, foxy orientals, stop reading now.

But if you do...this is a lady of a certain age who has left a loveless marriage and is ecstatic to find that she is as sensually alive now as she was when she was twenty. You'll want to kiss the wearer on both cheeks and take her out for a night on the town to celebrate her good luck.

on 2/6/2014 5:15:00 PM

Possibly one of the worst stenches around! On a par with aromatics elixir yuck yuck yuck. Always reminds me of a client who's hair I used to blowdry once a week, she was a lovely lady but I used to take 2 paracetamol before she entered the salon as that wretched stench took my breath away and used to give me a migraine. Not nice at all!

on 2/1/2014 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

Naysayers know nothing of great perfume, or of its history. YOUTH-DEW is an amazing spicy balsamic, with rich, powerful Oriental basenotes.

Warm and sensual and captivating. It does smell mature, but that's its strength, as it contains classic essences used much more in Midcentury than today: myrrh, frankincense, civet, balsam tolu, rose, oakmoss, jonquil, orchid, indoles, maybe even a soupcon of cigarette smoke. All the EO's in YOUTH-DEW smell authentic, not synthetic at all, and today, that's saying something.

Patchouly, oakmoss and lime-peel add a dusky-sharpness to the cinnamon/clove/allspice/tolu/black pepper mix. Intelligent, stately, bold, sexy. What is made shiny-linear, metallic in OPIUM is here presented full-force, in a round, low-pitched, concentrated boldness that means business. The heady, bulb-flower floralcy peers above the spicy, sappy-balsam-incense conglomerate, adding a chic radiance. Benzoin and vanilla confer a subtle sweetness to YOUTH-DEW's sultry statement; musks add their jungley purr.

Wallflowers need not apply: There are many women today who, wishing to eschew modern fruity/cutesy/faux numbers, could rawk YOUTH-DEW. It has a glam, yet 1950's pussycat-sexy quality to it, teetering upon camp (Hey, whoever gave camp a bad name? Women, you know that in life you have to pull out all the stops sometimes to make an impression!) that modern lovers of things-retro will adore. Picture Ginger from GILLIGAN'S ISLAND, Pat Neal in BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, Suzy Parker in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, Phyllis McGuire in cheetah-skin at Miami's FONTAINEBLEAU, or a back-combed Ann-Margret shaking her moneymaker. It's a SHAG painting come to life.

It may be the greatest spicy of the 20thc, at least there in the Top Five, along with L'ORIGAN, OLD SPICE, OPIUM, MITSOUKO. When a fragrance endures THIS long, you bet it has something.

You younger women out there, and men, try it and make it new again as a va-va-voom bombshell, nightclub number. It's probably more at home between-the-sheets than in the office. Sometimes MORE is more. You sex goddesses out there: YOUTH-DEW was the preferred fragrance of Mrs. Wallis "Chinese methods" Simpson; it nailed her a Prince. Wink, wink, say no more.

on 1/5/2014 6:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

My grandmother used to wear this sometimes and I liked it. On the other hand when I tried it years ago I gagged. I tried it again a few more times since and was overcome with the urge to wash it off. I tried it again for the last time last night and never again. It is so strong and so potent.
I sprayed one time and the entire area smelled of it for an hour. It smells on me only of incense and cloves. I do not get the other notes much at all. I smell the other scents but they are so jumbled together I can't make them out. I can still smell it tonight on my purse, over 24 hours later which to me is a crazy amount of time, lol. I had a massive headache with it and am wondering how this scent is so popular this many years later.

Popular Fragrances