November 28, 2014 | 1847 users online

Foundations - Sheer Cover - 30-day Intro Kit

rated 3 of 5 on 5/8/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by Mayagayam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE - I have to avoid using this near my eyes, it settles into the creases and fine lines and makes me look old. And if I build it it looks too cakey. For light-med coverage I'm still using it, and I often replace concealer by building on spots with a small burst.

Original Review:

If you apply the foundation in swirling motions as directed, you can layer product and it gives sheer, light, medium or heavy coverage. I layered the lightest tones on blemishes, then my regular color over that and it fully covers the redness.

However I have combination skin, and the other reviews are right - be sure your face is evenly moisturized. My t-zone is oily and my cheeks and under eye areas are dry, and heavy coverage does look cakey on my dry cheeks and eyes, but if i apply only light to medium coverage it looks fine.

I would like a more Dewey finish. This is very matte. But I love the brushes and, the portable little containers and colors and I will use the foundation powder until I find a better one. I'm trying Everyday Minerals next.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2012 5:48:00 AM More reviews by dellajaz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

First of all, the customer service of Guthy Renker has not given me any problems so far and has not taken any money without me knowing. They were all friendly & helpfull so Im really suprised to see all these negitive reviews on the company.
- The Foundations in the starter kit are lovely if you apply them properly with a good quality, dense flat top or kabuki brush. They give excellent cover & if you have dry skin & apply lots of moisturiser (let it soak in for a while first) and a good decent primer, you will find it doesnt cake or flake like ive seen people have said in other reviews.
- The brushes in the kit are crap,not dense enough, and lose their hairs.dont use them.
- The moisturisor & cleanser made my face sting so i gather they have harmfull ingredients in them. didnt like them at all.
- The duo concealer is great and covers well (although i only needed one of the shades).
- The mascara is shit.. my Maybelline mascara's do the job better ..
- and the other pallette thing in the kit , I havnt yet tried out.
- The Primer isnt great either it doesnt do what a good primer does. so I didnt use that much either.

Next time I will look forward to choosing the products I like instead of all the unwanted items. :) Would I buy the foundation again ? absolutely.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I only paid $20 for the starter kit so I can't say that it wasn't worth the price but overall although I like Sheer Cover, I would not get one of these kits again. The problem is they contain products you may not like as well as those you want. For instance - I love the foundation but only could use one of the shades and didn't like the primer. I don't really want to waste them, so I am stuck using the stuff anyway.

I guess it was a good way to try the product, but I much prefer the regular kits since I can choose the products I want in it.

Update: I have since decided that I didn't want the auto ship and experienced what others have complained about. It's pretty tough to find anyone at their customer service who can help you. This in no way affects what I think about the effectiveness of the makeup, but it is a concern potential buyers should be aware of.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by mingaling14

So I got this golden/almond kit last summer. and i still have it. anyway It came with a whole bunch of stuff for like twenty bucks which was cool. lets see i received a black carrying case (which came in handy when I went on a trip- you can put your makeup on even on a plane), foundations (lighter/darker colors), two cream based concealers (one I still haven't even used!), a lip/ eye highlighter/mirror palette( its totally tiny and melts quickly because its creamy, cheap and useless). It also came with some brushes that were decent.

This kit is comparable to the bare minerals kit. It had better packaging for sure ( i loved the carrying case), the brushes were good, the foundation color was excellent. I just hated the cheap palette with the worst lip colors, the eye colors were nice but they melted off.

The bare minerals kit was good but I didn't buy it again because the brushes are poor and the eye colors in it weren't great either. The mineral veil was what I loved most about this kit, plus the foundations were excellent too.

Oh yeah and the cleansers and moisturizers. The sheer cover kit won by a long shot. I really hated the bare minerals "moisturizer" it felt sticky and smelled weird.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by mamapasty

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I ordered the trial of this product and AUTOMATICALLY received another lot of it. I didn't even use the trial it was so "plastic looking". I called and told them I didn't want any more and, of course, it was automatically sent anyway. I will pay $132.00 for what I could have gotten at WalMart for $20.00. Such a rip off. I am only reviewing this because potential buyers should beware of their "selling practices". They are thieves in disguise and a "Plastic Looking Disguise" at that!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2012 2:14:00 PM More reviews by dollfacebettie

So...I ordered this online and also picked up a 30 day sample at Bed Bath and Beyond for $29.00 I got the Tan to Dark kit it was a little more expensive than the online kit which included more stuff. I was being impatient and wanted to try out the product. When I first opened the box...I was very disappointed at the size of each of the product. In my mind I was thinking there is no way this is going to last me 30 days. I tend to use a lot of product and was surprised that you don't really need to use a whole lot of Sheer Cover to get a nice good even coverage. I was totally wrong and it lasted a little longer than the 30 days.

I have been using Sheer Cover for a month now and love it! I actually had to try the product twice. Because the first time I used it...I wasn't really happy with my application. But I think it was just a matter of this was a new product that I never used before and trying to get familiar with how to apply it. The first application...I think I put on a thick coat of the concealer...which I corrected the second time with only applying a thin thin coat and letting it set and doing a touch up on other areas that did not get enough coverage. This was the trick...lol! Then instead of mixing the 2 powders. I did a layer of the darker powder which for me was Golden which accentuates the yellow/olive undertones of my skin and also gave me more coverage and then applied Almond over the top to get the neutral undertones and I can also used it as a highlighter. Which made my perfect matching color. The first time I combined 50/50 of each and I just looked all one color. I personally like to highlight areas. I don't use mocha because it was too dark...maybe use this as my base coat during the summer when I am darker.

Overall, fabulous product for the price. I am really happy with the concealer. It hides al my uneven skintones, blemishes and red areas. I love the powder foundation it last all day for me even with oily skin and after workouts. My only complaint is that I do get that oily glow after 6-8 hours of wear. But I blot and reapply the lighter power foundation. Ideally it would be great if this product had some sort of oil control then I would of given it a rating of 5 stars.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2011 2:49:00 AM More reviews by AmericaanHoney

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have uneven skin, and since I was my face a lot my face is also much less tan than the rest of me. I tan so easy, so my body is so dark and my face is only kind of dark. I was skeptical about Sheer Cover, especially after I found out it's related to Pro-active in some way... but I LOVE Sheer Cover. I'm the kind of person that knows if you don't try it you'll never know if it works for you. So, I always try stuff like this. It's hard for me to find a make up that looks okay on my face. The bronzer is a little thick so you have to put it on THIN, but if you don't want to use the bronzer because it is sparkly, USE THE BLUSH. Really, I put the blush all over my face and it matches the skin tone of my body very well. The concealer really covers any red spots I have. It feels REALLY light on my face. Sheer Cover gets bad reviews because of bad service, truthfully, that has nothing to do with how well the product works and should never be rated that way. The mascara is actually amazing, if you use an old mascara brush (I use my old Maybelline Stiletto brush) it works AMAZING and really pulls out your lashes, it's the brush it comes with that makes it all clump together. I would replace all of their brushes with nicer ones. It really makes a difference. The Base Perfecter feels so nice on my skin. And I love their lip-glosses, eyes shadows, etc. This is a great product if you have trouble finding make-up that works for you. But you also have to have evenly moisturized skin. It will cover anything as long as your face isn't TOO oily but ESPECIALLY not too dry!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2011 1:31:00 PM More reviews by sophiarenee

Way too expensive!
Horrible customer service!
Goes on cakey even though it is mineral make up!
Wears off way to quickly!
Do not order!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2011 9:26:00 PM More reviews by GreenEyedLady

Excellent sampler package of Sheer Cover products. The one item that I disliked in this package was the travelling foundation / concealer compact. It leaked powder everywhere; totally useless. Otherwise the products are good, last for more than 30 days, and are a great value.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2010 5:42:00 PM More reviews by sh0rtastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Best Mineral Make up kit for the price. Much better than BE! Will use SC for life.