April 17, 2014 | 1013 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Ultra Defense SPF 50 with Avotriplex

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 5/9/2013 4:23:00 AM More reviews by Lovemygold2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is absolutely brilliant...for me. Had I read some of the reviews on here I may have been put off. I picked up a 60 ml tube in a discount shop on a hope and a prayer that it would be a great alternative to my Japanese sunscreen, which I do love. Since the shipping cost went up I do not think I will buy it anymore, plus it cost more and is smaller in size. I am now going to search for a spray version in this brand, as I do need to hurry for work most days.

Pro's:
Nice light texture
Non greasy
Slightly mattifying
Did not leave a white cast after rubbing in
Smells nice
Low cost & high protection

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2012 9:05:00 PM More reviews by flipp

FINALLY. I have been searching for a high SPF sunscreen that would not break me out AND doesn't leave me looking oily or like a geisha. I found it. This goes on like regular moisturizer, sinking in without looking odd. I am so happy I decided to try this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by artsypirate

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

For as thick is stuff is it's surprisingly non sticky and didn't make me a shiny dirt magnet. I wore it to a large outdoor art/antiques show for a few hours two days in a row and was pleasantly surprised that it was enough to not get sunburned.

Unfortunately I didn't have any sunblock specifically for my face so I used this. Day one I was fine but after day two the waterproofing of this had plugged all the pores on my face. Literally every pore on my face looked like it was going to turn into a pimple! I had to scrub and cleanse my face multiple times that night to avoid the impending breakout. Basically this is a nice sunscreen if you're trying to avoid getting burnt and don't mind tanning a little but don't put it on your face!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2010 9:02:00 PM More reviews by laurore44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 9/17/2010: I took away a lippie because, unfortunately, I found that this product does get shiny on hot, humid days. It's not as thick or greasy-feeling as some sunscreens, but it's not matte either.

I still like the way it hydrates without feeling greasy, and the fact that it's non-irritating. I think it will be nice for winter. Dry skins would probably like it as well.

I have not had any increase in acne breakouts while using this product.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I am really impressed with this product.

It has an almost watery consistency, so it goes on very light and sheer. It leaves my skin feeling comfortable and soft but never greasy or chalky. Because it's not too thick, it's also very easy to apply.

I have major issues with shine from sunscreens (even those that claim to be "dry"). But this one never turned shiny on me, even after a full day's wear including a couple of hours in the sun.

To be clear, it is not mattifying but it does not add any shine or oily texture to my skin. If anything, it just makes my skin look hydrated.

I also love the fact that it has SPF 50. I am using an AHA cream daily and I need good sun protection.

Normally, I shy away from chemical sunscreens because I tend to have stinging reactions to them. But this formula did not irritate my skin at all.

I think I paid $7-$8 for an 8 oz. tube. That's about $1 per ounce, which is an amazing bargain considering the fact that my previous favorite sunscreen was $30 for 1 oz. Banana Boat performs as well as or better than any high-end brand sunscreen that I have used.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2009 11:04:00 PM More reviews by bebe_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i don't like the texture of this. too sticky. won't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2009 8:18:00 PM More reviews by AngeliaJolie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This product is great - it is light and non-greasy and provides great UVA and UVB protection. I have used one bottle and my skin looks great. I just bought another tube for the rest of the summer. And it was on sale for $7.49 a bottle, you cannot beat this price. I highly recommend it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2009 6:35:00 PM More reviews by apabbott

This is a very good everyday sunblock. What I like: 1) It has a great consistency; very smooth and easy to blend 2) It has very little odor, which is really important to me, especially since I use gobs of this everyday 3) It seems to work well, even on very sunny days my pale skin doesn't burn 4) It is moisturizing but not greasy 5) Inexpensive and easy to find

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2008 4:13:00 PM More reviews by hmag7386

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had a really good feeling about this sunscreen when I picked it up at the store. It's actually one of the few products I've bought without reading the reviews on it here first and since becoming a member on MUA! I trust Banana Boat's sunscreen since I've used it in the past when going to the beach, and even their SPF 30 sport sunscreen kept my fair skin from burning all day long. I've decided to listen to all the skin care gurus and wear sunscreen everyday all over, not just on my face. So I need a sunscreen that doesn't smell like the beach, like other Banana Boat ones do that I've found. This Ultra Defense is exactly what I was looking for, and I'm so glad I found it on the first try! It's fragrance-free, just has that bland sunscreen smell that all of them do. I don't mind it at all, you can't smell it unless your nose is right up in there anyway! It has a great high SPF that's both stable UVA and UVB protection. It contains Aloe Vera and Vitamin E and yes, it actually has a moisturizing quality to it. It absorbs quickly like it says, and apparently is waterproof as well. I'm not using it at the pool so I can't say I know much about that, but it's perfect as a daily body sunscreen. No greasy residue is left behind, and I'm over the moon about that... It spreads easily on the skin and gets to work right away. I got the 10 fl. oz. squeeze bottle of this for less than 10 bucks. I will continue to use this sunscreen as long as they make it- amazing product for an amazing value. Kiss kiss to Banana Boat!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2008 7:03:00 PM More reviews by frenchconnection

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this recently to take on a beach trip, and I was very impressed with its effectiveness. It is a clear mist, and the spraying mechanism made it very easy to apply. I coated myself before hitting the beach and again after a few hours. I got NO sun. Period. It seemed to stand up to swimming and sweating pretty well. I did not use this on my face. My face doesn't care too much for chemical sunscreens, so I used my Clinique City Block and wore a huge hat. I think it's a convenient, reliable product and will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2008 3:13:00 AM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I bought this for a recent vacation to the beach, my youngest daughter and I are both VERY fair and easily sunburned. One day, I forgot to put some on until I was actually on the beach, I rubbed myself down but missed a spot on my left inner knee area and a spot on my right thigh. I came away from the beach that day looking like I had the FUNK (lol), because those were the ONLY 2 spots that were sunburned!! My daughter never even turned a hint of pink and she spent hours in the sun/ocean, plus it didn't burn her eyes when I put it on her eyelids (yes, she's had those sunburned before--who knew?!) It also didn't cause our faces to break out, which was a HUGE bonus. I probably wouldn't wear this under my foundation as a daily sunscreen tho, it is a bit thick and leaves a sheen on the skin. This will be a repurchase every year for as long as its available, in fact I've already purchased another so that the rest of the summer we can relax at the pool sunburn free!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No