4.5

Cocos Nucifera Oil.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

New to using coconut oil and I'm impressed with the results.
Hair Type: Very dry, coarse, porous & thick. Prone to frizz

I've always loved using oils in my hair. My three favorites are olive oil, macadamia oil and argan oil. About a month ago, I got blonde highlights in my hair and I hated them. It made my ends extremely dry. To get rid of the highlights, I did an at home dye job and did an all over color in my natural hair color. However, my ends still felt like they were deep fried. If you could imagine crumbling up potato chips in your hand, that is what my ends sounded like when I touched them. My go to oils just weren't penetrating into the hair. They would coat it but if just looked like an illusion. My hair appeared shiny but it would snarl easily and my ends still felt dried. NOTHING in my arsenal was fixing the problem.

I did a little research on hair oils and I had no idea some were penetrating oils and some are just sealant oils. Coconut oil is #1 for penetrating oils. Coconut oil prevents hair from taking in too much water. Why is it bad for hair to take on water? When hair takes on too much water, the inside swells up but the cuticles on the outside can't. The cuticles begin to split and are forced to stand up. When the cuticles are forced in this way, they break. When cuticles break, it makes the hair porous. This describes my hair situation. After I shampoo and condition my hair and blow dry it straight, all the cuticles flare up and it looks as though someone went into my hair with a razor. This is why I relied on "sealant" oils so much because they were able to tame my cuticles. However, my hair was never healed and still felt dry. Porous hair takes on too much water. Using penetrating oils like coconut make hair hydrophobic. Porous non hydrophobic hair is also prone to frizz. Frizz happens when the hair's cuticle layers are raised. How do you know if you have porous hair? You fry a pork chop and that pork chop haunts you until you rewash your hair. Porous hair holds onto smells very easily. By using penetrating oils like coconut, it forms a barrier around porous hair to prevent excess water to enter and it will start to feel smooth and healthy again.

My routine: I use 100% organic coconut oil. It is sold in a mayo type jar and it has a thick solid consistency. I put two tbs. in a measuring cup and heat it up in the microwave for a minute or until it melts to a liquid. I coat my hair from roots to ends and dipping my ends into the measuring cup to really saturate them. I work it into my hair and wrap it up and put a shower cap on. I leave it in for 3-4 hours. I shampoo twice after (no conditioner).

I am writing this about the overall use of coconut oil. I have had awful irritation on my right hand. Initially caused by an allergic reaction, I had a kind of eczema. I tried everything. I used natural products and tried and true hand creams. I have spent a fortune trying to clear this up since last June. Sometimes it would clear up and then flare up again. It is also partly due to hormonal issues. So, finally I decided to try this. I use it with peppermint oil and it has almost completely cleared it up. It is so much better. I also use it on the ends of my hair which has made my hair amazing. Sometimes I use it on my face to take off make up. So I would say this is an important product for everyone to have on hand. You can also use it for cooking!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Backtrack to six months ago: My usually long, luscious eyelashes had become stubbly, brittle and very weak due to stress, harsh wintery conditions and waterproof mascara abuse.

Initially, I intended to purchase castor oil to remedy the situation. I didn't get around to doing that, and because I was desperate to regain my former lash glory, I slathered on the next best thing in my opinion: Coconut oil.

I always have a bottle of trusty coconut oil on hand for conditioning my dry, wavy hair, moisturising my legs after shaving and occasionally for oil cleansing (I prefer sunflower seed oil for my face).

But I digress.

In a coconut shell, just a few drops of this oil applied to my lashes regularly transformed my sad lashes into lashes that are healthy, dark and lengthy. Unfortunately, I don't notice any difference in terms of volume.

Two caveats: Slathering your lashes in coconut oil is potentially milia inducing. I noticed that if I apply this every night, by the end of the week, I gain a few new milia spots. To prevent this from occurring, I apply the coconut oil every other night. This method seems to keep them at bay.

To state the obvious, don't get the oil in your eyes. Your vision will become temporarily blurry and it might sting a bit.

I usually purchase ordinary coconut oil from my Indian grocery store. It's extremely inexpensive, and a 200ml bottle has lasted me six months so far.

All in all, coconut oil is incredibly versatile and I'm sure one could find use for it. I especially adore it for keeping my lashes in tip top condition.

sweet baby Jesus, i love coconut oil. it can be used for so many things!

But this review is strictly on hair.

I warm up a bit of the oil, and i put it all over my hair when its dry. I wrap my hair and i sleep in it. In the morning when i take my shower i use my son's baby shampoo (wash rinse and repeat) and follow up with my regualr conditioner on the ends only.

On days i dont use it as a overnight mask i use just a tiny tiny bit as a leave-in on my ends.

my hair is so amazingly soft, shiny and healthy!

def a new staple in my hair regime!

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Coconut oil does not work well for my skin or hair.
Leaves my hair feeling yucky, tangled, and actually looking worse then before using this.
I have tried using it several ways and also giving it time to work but in the end it was a total fail.
I love coconut oil for health benefits in cooking but not for anything else.

Forget all the hype.
STICK with this coconut oil miracle.
It's cheap, it's multi-useful, it's awesome smelling, like the beach days of old!

I put one third cup, melted 30 seconds in microwave, all through dry hair, working it in, then scoop it into a top knot and sleep with it.
I wash it out (sometimes a double shampoo is necessary) do a quick apple cider vinegar rinse, and then a spray leave in conditioner.

I will do this twice a week, and once time NOT WASH IT OUT; leave it in for 48h
My hair has been mad, wrecked, abused, breaking, pulled styling etc.
It's long and I am trying not to cut it all off so the heavy use of coconut oil is my attack plan.

I LOVE coconut oil because I LOVE MULTI -TASK PRODUCTS.
It is also useful as natural sunscreen (challenge yourself, seriously, it works)
And of course, it makes a killer cuticle moisturizer and lip balm and is great for brightening teeth: put a teaspoon in mouth after brushing, swish and swish it around for five minutes not really swallowing it, and don't eat or drink for half an hour. Try for a week: amazing.
And won't give you the cancer that the dental product industry would have us ignorant about, with all those chemical whiteners....

This isn't as great as I thought it would be. It's another product that's just too heavy for my hair. Also, it clogs the crap outta my drain.

Luckily you can use it for probably everything, so I will continue to buy it-- just not for my hair!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So many different uses with so many beauty benefits.
- As a hair masks - Massage through roots and ends of hair, leave in for 30 mins and rinse out with shampoo and conditioner. Helps with dry scalps and dandruff.
- Lip scrub - mix coconut oil, honey and brown sugar. Taste amazing, moisterises and scrubs dry skin on lips
- Body scrub - Mix ground coffee beans, coconut oil, honey and sugar and use as a body scrub before shaving. Amazing

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Ultimate HG. I feel like I have coconut oil to thank for my hair, which is thick and curly and used to be my most dreaded chore. I started regular pre-shampooing with coconut oil nearly 6 years ago and have never looked back.
Nothing beats CO for helping grow truly healthy bouncy shiny hair.
'I like the nutiva brand for value and texture, but I'll buy any that's on sale.

Personal favorite usages:
Pre-shampoo deep treatment
"Upgrading" conditioners, deep conditioners, leave in conditioners
Sealing my ends
Detangling when mixed with slippery conditioners
When I still heat styled, I would use it as part of my blow dry cocktail and had the smoothest, non-frizzy, bouncy shiny healthy looking blowouts. I would also use it to touch up blowouts or flatirons on next day hair.
Makeup removal, hands down, the best.
Mixing with brown sugar for a pre-shave or pre-self-tan scrub down
Mixing with liquid body bronzer for that Beyonce/J-Lo writhing on the beach glow

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

If you have dry, brittle, overprocessed hair like me (bleach + dye + toner + dye + highlights etc etc) this is a GODSEND.
I use 2 tablespoons of soften, raw/organic coconut oil, coat my hair with it, put a shower cap on, heat with my blowdryer for 2-3 minutes then wrap my head in a hot towel. I leave the oil for 30-45 minutes or more, then shampoo (2 times, this stuff is hard to get off).
My hair is soft, shiny, manageable. It erases damage, i'M amazed. I also use Coconut oil as a makeup-up remover, a body butter, and to cook fish. =)

Popular Hair Products