September 21, 2014 | 1010 users online

Hair - Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Juliecore

I have really long processed blonde/white hair and this is an amazing oil that i never ever go without.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by missyazuli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love using coconut oil! I like to put it in my hair after I have washed it, and it feels much softer. And you can't beat the smell of coconuts in your hair.
I actually need to go and buy another tub of it, since I'm running low. :c

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2014 5:54:00 AM More reviews by hannahskm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried the coconut oil on its own but found it too greasy.

I experimented with 2 Tablespoons of Avocado oil and 1 tbs of Coconut oil.
Gently heated on the stove and voila... did the trick.. the avocado oil somehow
balances the grease of Coconut!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by jpaulhynes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for Spectrum Organic Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil. I really like coconut oil. I used it on my hair and it absorbed well and was non-greasy to the touch. I read that it is the only oil known to penetrate the hair shaft. I don't know if that translates to stronger hair, but when I started using it I had less hair loss and breakage. My hair is fine, curly and frizzy (3B type) and of medium length. One time however, I put too much oil in my hair and had to shampoo twice to get it out. I recommend this product and would buy again but I have decided not to oil my hair as much or at all. I prefer to use Alba Botanica Leave-In conditioner which contains coconut oil, and I am trying to do Conditioner Only washing from now on. otherwise this is a good product. The price is good for such a product and it should last me a long time. Note that my hair does harden in the cold weather, as coconut oil is solid in colder temparatures. I am planning on trying argan oil next, as I heard it is light.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 12:08:00 PM More reviews by andreamathews77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. My friends are tired of hearing me talk about it. I use it on my hair. I saturate my dry hair and comb it through, clip my hair up in a bun and throw on a shower cap. Sometimes I add heat from a blow dryer, sometimes I don't. I usually sleep with it in. Use old pillowcases because this stuff will leave grease stains. in the morning I have to shampoo twice to get it out....but my hair is transfomed. My dry, color treated tresses just drink this stuff up. My hair is left moisturized and so incredibly soft. I try to do this once a week. It's the best conditioning treatment I have ever done with the most noticeable and immediate results. I have dyed red and keratin treated hair and the oil has not affected my hair color at all. Not permanent or semi-permanent color has changed at all after doing this.
So good!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by radiofox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

So this is listed under hair products, and I do like to put it on the tips of my hair for some added moisture, but that's not JUST what I use it for. I keep a jar of this in my shower, and before I towel off, I massage this into my skin (something I really enjoy at the end of my showers), THEN Towel off and put on my regular moisturizer. In the winter I need this added boost, we'll see if I need that moisturizer in the summer. I also put this on my lips. I'm transitioning into natural products, so this has become my friend in a big way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have known about the benefits of virgin coconut oil for many years but finally I feel like I have mastered how to use it on my curly, fine, thin, highly porous hair.

First, I always make sure to buy organic, virgin, unrefined, non-gmo coconut oil....best coconut oil in its raw state to use!! Totally worth the cost..$6-$15 for 16 oz. depending on the brand. Even if it was $20 for 16oz, I would still buy it because this is the holy grail product for beauty and health needs, there are soooo many ways to use coconut oil!!

There are a few things that I now realized prevented me from liking coconut oil on my hair a few years ago:

1. As a deep treatment (applied to dry hair as a pre-shampoo or after co-washing), for my hair, coconut oil takes a very long time to deep treat and moisturize my hair. So when I do want to use it as a deep treatment, I have to make sure it sits on my hair for several hours (deep treating while I sleep works the best for my hair and always leaves me with super soft hair because the coconut oil is seeping into my strands for at least 8 hours). For my hair, the longer the better!!

2. If I decide to use coconut oil after I have co-washed, I always make sure my hair is damp at most! This way the coconut oil will bind to my hair and my strands will have an easier time soaking up the nutrients of the oil.

3. If you are one of the people who do not like the way coconut oil feels on your hair, I would suggest warming up the oil for a few seconds in a pan or microwave before applying to your hair versus warming it up with your hands. I always feel like warmed coconut oil applies to my hair better than rubbing my hands together to melt it.

Just a couple of more tips, since coconut oil solidifies at temperatures below 75 degrees, I would not recommend applying this to your hair during the winter months and then walking outside without giving the oil adequate time to soak it...the oil could solidify into flakes on your hair...not cute:) Also, always keep your oil in a cool, dark place. This will help extend the shelf life.

I really am IN LOVE with unrefined coconut oil for my hair now that I have figured out how to use it. I deep treat my hair overnight at least 3 times a week and within the first week of following this routine for my hair, I saw a difference! Such an amazing, affordable, multi-purpose natural product!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by YCR

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find that coconut oil is the best makeup remover around, at least in my opinion. It removes waterproof mascara and face makeup quite easily. I just wet my face and massage a little bit of coconut oil into my face to "break" all the makeup and then wipe it off with some tissue. I also use it as a nighttime face moisturizer and it doesn't break me out (and I have oily, break out prone skin- I break out just by touching my face...) I also use it as a moisturizer right after I shave my legs and it leaves them feeling baby soft. I also add a tablespoon of it to my oatmeal, and when the ends of my hair get too dry, I apply some of it and then wash it off and my hair feels less dry, but I always wash it off because it can get too oily for my liking, and weights my hair down. I buy mine at Costco and it's a HUGE 54 ounce jar that costs around $16 (the brand is Carrington Farms,and it is unrefined, cold pressed and organic).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

Unrefined, extra virgin coconut oil is hands down the best thing I've ever put in my hair, on my skin and in my food. I don't use it on my face as it breaks me out, but I do use it all over my arms, legs, feet, hands and neck :-) About twice a month I will nuke some in a bowl, run it through my hair and slather it all over me. Mind you, I wear crappy clothes when I do this. I throw my hair up in a bun and leave it in all day until taking a shower in the evening.
It is very good to cook with but be carful not to get it too hot if you're frying something with it as it will smoke you out of your house ...

My hair and skin are soft and my food is healthier. Can't beat that!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2013 3:07:00 PM More reviews by Hair12341234

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Blue

Hairdresser recommended coconut oil heated for deep conditioning. I had to heat it in microwave a good 60 seconds to get it to absorb heat, which was fine. Kept it on hair with saran wrap for 2 hours.

It took me 3 days and a pound of shampoo to get it out of my hair, for 3 days my hair was stringy until I finally succeeded in getting it all out.

The rating is still good as my hair is in OK condition (as good as it was or better), however, for me all the hassles of washing it out so many times cancels out any benefits so I won't be buying it again.

I will be trying Avocado Oil next since a reviewer stated it doesn't require much to get it out of the hair ;-)