October 26, 2014 | 870 users online

Hair - Coconut Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 3:03:00 PM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't have the good results that most people have with coconut oil. I tried it on my hair in many ways but I just never had the nice , shiny hair that other reviewers have. For me Castor oil is better. Coconut oil always made my hair tangled while I never issues with Castor oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 4:38:00 AM More reviews by sugarfish00

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this! I've been using this on my hair for more than 5 years now. People have always asked why I have such shiny and healthy looking hair and it shocks them when I tell them its just plain old VCO (not the extra virgin kind though). I use the cold-pressed, food-grade virgin coconut oil from Botany Works (http://www.botanyworks.com.ph/). It comes in a dark colored bottle with a pump. I use one pump of VCO, rub it between my hands and work it into the ends of my hair (never use it on the roots or your scalp or it will make your hair limp and greasy) every night then I get into the shower and shampoo my hair with my regular shampoo. I think its important not to put too much and make sure you shampoo it off. I heat-style my hair almost every day and yet it doesn't look dead and its not brittle and no split ends either. All thanks to VCO! I read somewhere that this is the only oil that can penetrate the hair shaft. Sometimes when my hair is a little frizzy, I would use half a drop of this, rub it between my palms and smooth it on my hair. I never use commercial conditioners anymore because of this.

I also use this sparingly on the dry parts of my body like knees and elbows (I use about a drop and rub it between my palms) and it moisturizes my skin well. One time, I even used this on my feet for a few nights, hoping to remove foot odor and it worked (I think VCO also has some anti-bacterial properties). I would NEVER use this on my face though as I've read that this can clog your pores and make your face break out so I'm not willing to risk it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Juliecore

I have really long processed blonde/white hair and this is an amazing oil that i never ever go without.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2014 5:53:00 PM More reviews by missyazuli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I love using coconut oil! I like to put it in my hair after I have washed it, and it feels much softer. And you can't beat the smell of coconuts in your hair.
I actually need to go and buy another tub of it, since I'm running low. :c

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2014 5:54:00 AM More reviews by hannahskm

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried the coconut oil on its own but found it too greasy.

I experimented with 2 Tablespoons of Avocado oil and 1 tbs of Coconut oil.
Gently heated on the stove and voila... did the trick.. the avocado oil somehow
balances the grease of Coconut!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2014 3:58:00 PM More reviews by jpaulhynes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for Spectrum Organic Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil. I really like coconut oil. I used it on my hair and it absorbed well and was non-greasy to the touch. I read that it is the only oil known to penetrate the hair shaft. I don't know if that translates to stronger hair, but when I started using it I had less hair loss and breakage. My hair is fine, curly and frizzy (3B type) and of medium length. One time however, I put too much oil in my hair and had to shampoo twice to get it out. I recommend this product and would buy again but I have decided not to oil my hair as much or at all. I prefer to use Alba Botanica Leave-In conditioner which contains coconut oil, and I am trying to do Conditioner Only washing from now on. otherwise this is a good product. The price is good for such a product and it should last me a long time. Note that my hair does harden in the cold weather, as coconut oil is solid in colder temparatures. I am planning on trying argan oil next, as I heard it is light.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 12:08:00 PM More reviews by andreamathews77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. My friends are tired of hearing me talk about it. I use it on my hair. I saturate my dry hair and comb it through, clip my hair up in a bun and throw on a shower cap. Sometimes I add heat from a blow dryer, sometimes I don't. I usually sleep with it in. Use old pillowcases because this stuff will leave grease stains. in the morning I have to shampoo twice to get it out....but my hair is transfomed. My dry, color treated tresses just drink this stuff up. My hair is left moisturized and so incredibly soft. I try to do this once a week. It's the best conditioning treatment I have ever done with the most noticeable and immediate results. I have dyed red and keratin treated hair and the oil has not affected my hair color at all. Not permanent or semi-permanent color has changed at all after doing this.
So good!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by radiofox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

So this is listed under hair products, and I do like to put it on the tips of my hair for some added moisture, but that's not JUST what I use it for. I keep a jar of this in my shower, and before I towel off, I massage this into my skin (something I really enjoy at the end of my showers), THEN Towel off and put on my regular moisturizer. In the winter I need this added boost, we'll see if I need that moisturizer in the summer. I also put this on my lips. I'm transitioning into natural products, so this has become my friend in a big way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by armaclin041584

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have known about the benefits of virgin coconut oil for many years but finally I feel like I have mastered how to use it on my curly, fine, thin, highly porous hair.

First, I always make sure to buy organic, virgin, unrefined, non-gmo coconut oil....best coconut oil in its raw state to use!! Totally worth the cost..$6-$15 for 16 oz. depending on the brand. Even if it was $20 for 16oz, I would still buy it because this is the holy grail product for beauty and health needs, there are soooo many ways to use coconut oil!!

There are a few things that I now realized prevented me from liking coconut oil on my hair a few years ago:

1. As a deep treatment (applied to dry hair as a pre-shampoo or after co-washing), for my hair, coconut oil takes a very long time to deep treat and moisturize my hair. So when I do want to use it as a deep treatment, I have to make sure it sits on my hair for several hours (deep treating while I sleep works the best for my hair and always leaves me with super soft hair because the coconut oil is seeping into my strands for at least 8 hours). For my hair, the longer the better!!

2. If I decide to use coconut oil after I have co-washed, I always make sure my hair is damp at most! This way the coconut oil will bind to my hair and my strands will have an easier time soaking up the nutrients of the oil.

3. If you are one of the people who do not like the way coconut oil feels on your hair, I would suggest warming up the oil for a few seconds in a pan or microwave before applying to your hair versus warming it up with your hands. I always feel like warmed coconut oil applies to my hair better than rubbing my hands together to melt it.

Just a couple of more tips, since coconut oil solidifies at temperatures below 75 degrees, I would not recommend applying this to your hair during the winter months and then walking outside without giving the oil adequate time to soak it...the oil could solidify into flakes on your hair...not cute:) Also, always keep your oil in a cool, dark place. This will help extend the shelf life.

I really am IN LOVE with unrefined coconut oil for my hair now that I have figured out how to use it. I deep treat my hair overnight at least 3 times a week and within the first week of following this routine for my hair, I saw a difference! Such an amazing, affordable, multi-purpose natural product!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by YCR

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I find that coconut oil is the best makeup remover around, at least in my opinion. It removes waterproof mascara and face makeup quite easily. I just wet my face and massage a little bit of coconut oil into my face to "break" all the makeup and then wipe it off with some tissue. I also use it as a nighttime face moisturizer and it doesn't break me out (and I have oily, break out prone skin- I break out just by touching my face...) I also use it as a moisturizer right after I shave my legs and it leaves them feeling baby soft. I also add a tablespoon of it to my oatmeal, and when the ends of my hair get too dry, I apply some of it and then wash it off and my hair feels less dry, but I always wash it off because it can get too oily for my liking, and weights my hair down. I buy mine at Costco and it's a HUGE 54 ounce jar that costs around $16 (the brand is Carrington Farms,and it is unrefined, cold pressed and organic).