Coconut Oil

4.5

Cocos Nucifera Oil.

on 6/4/2015 12:04:00 PM

sweet baby Jesus, i love coconut oil. it can be used for so many things!

But this review is strictly on hair.

I warm up a bit of the oil, and i put it all over my hair when its dry. I wrap my hair and i sleep in it. In the morning when i take my shower i use my son's baby shampoo (wash rinse and repeat) and follow up with my regualr conditioner on the ends only.

On days i dont use it as a overnight mask i use just a tiny tiny bit as a leave-in on my ends.

my hair is so amazingly soft, shiny and healthy!

def a new staple in my hair regime!

on 6/3/2015 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Coconut oil does not work well for my skin or hair.
Leaves my hair feeling yucky, tangled, and actually looking worse then before using this.
I have tried using it several ways and also giving it time to work but in the end it was a total fail.
I love coconut oil for health benefits in cooking but not for anything else.

on 5/23/2015 11:32:00 AM

Forget all the hype.
STICK with this coconut oil miracle.
It's cheap, it's multi-useful, it's awesome smelling, like the beach days of old!

I put one third cup, melted 30 seconds in microwave, all through dry hair, working it in, then scoop it into a top knot and sleep with it.
I wash it out (sometimes a double shampoo is necessary) do a quick apple cider vinegar rinse, and then a spray leave in conditioner.

I will do this twice a week, and once time NOT WASH IT OUT; leave it in for 48h
My hair has been mad, wrecked, abused, breaking, pulled styling etc.
It's long and I am trying not to cut it all off so the heavy use of coconut oil is my attack plan.

I LOVE coconut oil because I LOVE MULTI -TASK PRODUCTS.
It is also useful as natural sunscreen (challenge yourself, seriously, it works)
And of course, it makes a killer cuticle moisturizer and lip balm and is great for brightening teeth: put a teaspoon in mouth after brushing, swish and swish it around for five minutes not really swallowing it, and don't eat or drink for half an hour. Try for a week: amazing.
And won't give you the cancer that the dental product industry would have us ignorant about, with all those chemical whiteners....

on 5/17/2015 11:31:00 AM

This isn't as great as I thought it would be. It's another product that's just too heavy for my hair. Also, it clogs the crap outta my drain.

Luckily you can use it for probably everything, so I will continue to buy it-- just not for my hair!

on 4/15/2015 2:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

So many different uses with so many beauty benefits.
- As a hair masks - Massage through roots and ends of hair, leave in for 30 mins and rinse out with shampoo and conditioner. Helps with dry scalps and dandruff.
- Lip scrub - mix coconut oil, honey and brown sugar. Taste amazing, moisterises and scrubs dry skin on lips
- Body scrub - Mix ground coffee beans, coconut oil, honey and sugar and use as a body scrub before shaving. Amazing

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Ultimate HG. I feel like I have coconut oil to thank for my hair, which is thick and curly and used to be my most dreaded chore. I started regular pre-shampooing with coconut oil nearly 6 years ago and have never looked back.
Nothing beats CO for helping grow truly healthy bouncy shiny hair.
'I like the nutiva brand for value and texture, but I'll buy any that's on sale.

Personal favorite usages:
Pre-shampoo deep treatment
"Upgrading" conditioners, deep conditioners, leave in conditioners
Sealing my ends
Detangling when mixed with slippery conditioners
When I still heat styled, I would use it as part of my blow dry cocktail and had the smoothest, non-frizzy, bouncy shiny healthy looking blowouts. I would also use it to touch up blowouts or flatirons on next day hair.
Makeup removal, hands down, the best.
Mixing with brown sugar for a pre-shave or pre-self-tan scrub down
Mixing with liquid body bronzer for that Beyonce/J-Lo writhing on the beach glow

on 12/24/2014 12:48:00 PM

If you have dry, brittle, overprocessed hair like me (bleach + dye + toner + dye + highlights etc etc) this is a GODSEND.
I use 2 tablespoons of soften, raw/organic coconut oil, coat my hair with it, put a shower cap on, heat with my blowdryer for 2-3 minutes then wrap my head in a hot towel. I leave the oil for 30-45 minutes or more, then shampoo (2 times, this stuff is hard to get off).
My hair is soft, shiny, manageable. It erases damage, i'M amazed. I also use Coconut oil as a makeup-up remover, a body butter, and to cook fish. =)

I absolutely cannot live without this product.. I have medium-long brunetter fine hair and I have spent about 10 years coloring, straightening and practically just ruining my hair in every way possible.. i was the girl who spent 2 months going from brunette to bleach blonde then a week later freaking out and dying it back to brunette. I use coconut oil as an all over treatment - I recently started getting dandruff which I've never had before and my ends are just horrible (even though i haven't dyed my hair for almost 2 years and get cuts regularly and don't use heat) when I use this as a treatment I put it all over my scalp right down to my ends my hair drinks it up straight away I tie my hair into a bun and leave it on for hours. Yes i do have to shampoo twice to get it all out but i shampoo twice every wash anyway so there's no difference to me. The coconut oil has almost completely got rid of my flaky scalp and I have seen a major difference in my ends as well, they don't break as easily there's far less split ends and the fly-aways at the top of my head at my part are very tamed now! I would highly recommend this product to anyone and everyone with any type of hair! I love this stuff!

on 11/10/2014 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I won't waste everyone's time by listing all the ways that my family and I use coconut oil. Suffice it to say it has replaced a lot of products.
For hair it is amazing - I've been using it in my hair for years.

Try it as a leave in, from the ears down or higher.
As a pre-wash oiling.
Overnight treatment.
Mix it with your henna treatments.
Mix it with your typical leave in.
Mix a little with your shampoo if you don't use conditioner.
The THE BEST way, IMO, is to mix a little with your conditioner and apply as normal after washing. This has made mountains of difference in my dry, thirsty, old hair.
Also, when I'm done washing in the shower, I spread it all over my body and baby bump. Rinse a little and pat dry..no need for lotion or additional moisturization.

on 11/10/2014 6:12:00 AM

I have long, highlighted, dry and coarse straight hair with fried ends. My hair has been feeling drier than ever recently. After another failed deep conditioner purchase, I resurrected my pure coconut oil from the bathroom cupboard and worked some through the ends of my unwashed hair (after warming it up first in my hands).

I left it on for about 30 mins then washed and conditioned as normal and the difference is outstanding. Shiny, strong and very soft, it feels like different hair already. Literally from straw to silk.

I will probably do this before every wash for the next few weeks to get it back into a good condition. I will sleep with it in next time which will probably be even better.

I imagine it won't suit everyone. If you have fine hair then it would probably make it greasy but my hair literally can't drink enough oil as it's so dry so if you have dry hair, then this is the treatment for you.This really beats every expensive product I've used hands down. HG hair product.