Annick Goutal Myrrhe Ardente

3.6

on 9/11/2013 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This, along with Guerlain Shalimar, is my go-to autumn fragrance when the weather turns cooler and the leaves turn brown. It is just the perfect backdrop to this scent. Wearing it makes me think of bonfires, crisp cool air, soft woolen scarves and Christmas lights. Smokey, resinous and tobacco. Love it.

on 10/18/2011 2:42:00 PM

AG Myrrhe Ardente (Burning Myrrh) is a sweet, smoky fragrance that is easy to wear and stays close to the skin. It wears linear on me and for about 5 hours. Myrrhe Ardente is unique, enjoyable & unisex. More smoky than myrrh, imo - that aspect reminds me of that campfire fragrance from Tauer (Lonestar?), although the AG is harsh compared to the Tauer.

My EdP is marked 88% alcohol by volume, which really puts it in the EdT territory imo. Like all AG's that I've owned or tried, I don't think the price & longevity justify a full bottle purchase.

I picked up Myrrhe Ardente (and the rest of the Les Orientales series) in 15ml bottles for about $10 each, plus shipping, on ebay. At that price, I say go ahead if this strikes your fancy. However, I wouldn't recommend a FB blind-buy without sampling.

Sweet, vanillic, slightly smoked and as comforting as a favorite blanket, Myrrhe Ardente is soft on the myrrh but offers just enough to be mysterious without wandering into unapproachable territory. Sillage is soft and lasting power isn't more than a few hours on my skin, but even after that I still catch soft hints here and there. I wish it were more intense, but still feel it to be another gem from the Les Orientalists line and see myself using up my mini for sure and wouldn't mind owning a larger bottle.

Notes: Myrrh essence, tonka bean, benzoin; myrrh resin, guaiacum wood, vetiver; absolute essence of beeswax.

This fragrance opens with myrrh framed by benzoin and tonca bean. The three notes complement each other very well; the accord is sweet but balanced, the myrrh adds a certain dry resinous quality to it that prevents the composition to smell like vanilla pudding or ice cream. As the fragrance progresses the vanillic impression diminished and I detect a faint trace of liquorice which I don’t know where it stems form. Quite linear from this point on, the fragrance is interesting and quite pleasing to smell. Despite the foody connotation it is not gourmand, as the smokey quality of the myrrh prevents that. From the middevelopment on, this fragrance vaguely reminds me of Ambre Soie, but Myrrh Ardente is definitely sweeter. It is a nice fragrance but not for me. Last 6 hours on my skin.

on 2/3/2011 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is like "starter" myrrh--if someone wanted to know what myrrh smells like, I'd recommend this. A bit more resinous than Ambre Fetiche, but like AF, a little too heavy to suit me in the long run.

on 11/25/2010 7:33:00 AM

This certainly was NOT love at first sight or smell; I came to like it in my third of fourth try. The first two times it seemed too medicinal and to be honest, it paled in comparison with my favorite Ambre Fetiche which I ended up buying finally. The third time I liked it's sweet milkiness but found it too sweet. But then it was spring and now it's late autumn. I tried it again yesterday and it now seems ideal for this weather. It's sweet for sure, but the smokiness in it prevents it from being nauseating or childish. And after a while a menthol note comes out to add an interesting twist in what would otherwise be nice but nothing to dream about after it's left. It lasted all day on me and I got whiffs of it when I thought it was gone, calming and caressing me.
I agree with another reviewer that I smell anise in this, even though it's not listed. But I swear it's there, which is not something I can say for the myrrh:) So, besides the misguided name, yes, I think it's FB worthy.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this captivated me from the second i sprayed it.........there is this hugely medicinal rush when you first spray it that almost fizzes in your nose and i swear it smells like root beer........but a sophisticated root beer that suddenly GUSHES with this beautifully ancient smell of amber and woods and it leaves me feeling cheerful..it is not a girly scent at all......and it isnt a small scent..it is a very unique and large scent that lasts pretty well and seems to nip at you during the day..i love this scent and its one of my favorites.

on 8/18/2010 11:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This and PdE Ambre Russe are perhaps my two favorite fragrances ever made. Whereas Ambre Russe is a little much to wear in the summer, I could wear Myrrhe Ardente all year - heat or cold. I do get an initial blast of a cherry-vanilla soda note, but it quickly dissipates into a lovely sweet-but-not-too-sweet, ambery-vanilla-wood-resin-smoke-incense scent that is utterly gorgeous. The wood note is definitely at the forefront, but its dry, sweet, incensey woods. The myrrh in this is a sweet myrrh - opoponax, not the more common (and slightly bitter) variety. Resins become deeper and richer in time, so this is one that will undoubtedly age beautifully. It's not overpowering, but it lasts a long time - 3 spritzes in the morning lasts all day. I love that it's both drop-dead sexy and unpretentiously natural - the kind of sexy that isn't trying to be sexy, it just is. I also love that its understated elegance is equally at home with a flannel shirt or a silk dress.

At first it is decidedly medicinal… like an antique herbal expectorant one might procure at the local apothecary run by an unlicensed homeopathic pharmacist. It might cure you, it might kill you.
It soon becomes whispery smoke and mysterious veils and soft, powdery incense made from mystical tree resins. The kind of dream-tree one must ask permission to use, from the dryad living in. A very otherworldly scent, almost.

on 5/24/2010 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My dear God! The stench!!! I would never, ever, EVER in a million years wear this perfume again. I bought it off of eBay, three samples for a couple of bucks .. The horror when I tried it on! It smells a LOT worse than the greenest Wunderbaum ever .. I'm still in shock. This doesn't even deserve to be called perfume. It's more of an abomination!

Popular Fragrances