August 1, 2014 | 1743 users online

Masks - The Body Shop - Aloe Protective & Restorative Mask

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2014 12:54:00 AM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very hydrating product, perfect for Winter & very dry climates.

As instructed by a staff, this product is a mask you leave on for 10 minutes or so then rub into the skin & then you're set.

The consistency is nearly a thin but creamy type of mask with a strong scent (something like a bark off a tree is how I smell it, almost like the same result if you smell peppermint oil).

It feels rather refreshing on my skin and definitely nourish any dry areas/patches that I have on my face.

I often use this almost everyday. Sometimes twice a day, one right before my makeup (foundation) routine to sooth any dry patches and usually before bed.

Be warn, this does not shrink pores & can make them appear clog or bigger. I suggest you apply a toner either before or after the mask.

If I could state one flaw with this product, it would be the overpowering scent but other than that, I'm a fan & will continue to purchase this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by MissmeganA

I actually bought this for my mom (she has sensitive skin) and ended up borrowing it and liking it, and then bought myself my own container :)
I like how you don't have to wash this mask off. I have combo skin that gets very dry in some spots especially in the winter so I can't be washing my face all the time and drying my skin out more. This mask helps with the dryness and flaky skin. It is very moisturizing and soothing. I wouldn't use this more than once a week though unless your skin is extremely dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by tinarae88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this product but I really liked it. It really did soothe my sensitive skin, and didnt make my face oily after I washed it off like some moisturizing masks do. My skin just felt silky smooth, and looked more radiant after. Now it didnt make my skin a ton more radiant than before so if that is what your looking for look for something else, this is mainly for sensitive skin or skin that needs some calming, soothing relief!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2012 11:17:00 PM More reviews by multichromatic

This product surprised me. I got it as a gift from someone and wasn't expecting it to make my skin look glow, but it did. So the story is - one day I had accidentally used a face scrub that had some propanediol (ethanol, i think) and it made my skin feel tight and uncomfortable but still very oily. i was frustrated and ended up trying this mask without expecting this to come out of it but after one use, I can see that my skin looks visibly different. I like this a lot and I'll be using it a lot more now during S.O.S. situations!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2011 9:20:00 AM More reviews by delirious

This mask is my go to every winter! As the cold weather approach, my skin would be extra dry and even start flaking. After applying this mask on, my face feels fairly moisturized. Absolutely does its job and restore but not so much protect.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2010 3:22:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

I find this mask fairly moisturising but not particularly soothing on my skin. It has a texture of cream and absorbs pretty well. When my skin was extremely irritated and I used it to try soothe it, it didn't really work. I actually saw my skin go slightly red within the actual line where the mask was applied. Now I mainly use in on my normal skin as a moisturising mask. I think the tub will last a while but I don't think I will repurchase. I noticed that in winter some kind of crystals formed in the mask and were actually scratchy on the skin too (maybe it was due to cooler temperature)

I don't think I will buy this again. I would rather spend the same amount on their honey & oat mask that I absolutely adore!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2010 2:24:00 AM More reviews by downtownbebebrown

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like the fact it is fragrance free and has aloe... I use about 5 different items from this Aloe line... So far i really like it this as a Mask. I have tried many expensive and cheap different types of Masks. This one is great b/c you don't wash off!I have normal skin and i do not like harsh or oily Masks.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2010 2:06:00 PM More reviews by aquajeeling

I find body shop masks - break me out.
This mask does nothing for me really... won't buy again.
2 masks I bought from Body Shop are sitting there in my bathroom cabinet untouched for such a long time. I won't purchase any mask from them anymore.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2010 11:34:00 AM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my skin type!

** EDIT April 28/10: I am fairly certain that this mask breaks me out. Likely due to the lanolin. Even if it doesn't, it leaves a terribly greasy residue behind, so I will not be repurchasing. I will finish using it up on other areas such as under my arms and on my legs after epilating so as to not let it go to waste. **

What it Claims:
"Strengthen your skinís natural barrier with an intensive, creamy leave-on mask that softens and instantly cools."

Claims - True or False?
1) Softens skin: False. My skin feels about the same after using as it does prior, and dry spots remain dry.
2) Cools skin: True, I guess. While my skin doesn't necessarily have an itchy/burning sensation like most sensitive skin can cause, I do get some redness, and I find that it helps calm my skin down slightly.

Packaging:
Like most of The Body Shop masks, this product comes in a tub. Which I really do not like, as it's not all that hygienic. Yes, I wash my hands before using, but that doesn't make it any better. Labeling is simple and practical, and other than the fact that it is in a tub, there are no real issues with it.

Smell:
I have no idea what aloe really smells like, but this mask does not seem to smell all that.. natural. I can't really identify the scent, but it is noticeable both in the tub and while it is on your skin, but it isn't too strong.

Consistency:
This mask is quite similar to a gel-lotion, with a slightly thicker consistency than many moisturizers. It has a white colouring and goes on slightly greasy. It is designed to be a sink-in mask, and for the most part, this does occur, but there is usually still an oily residue left behind on the face.

Ease of Use:
As this isn't a mask that dries, it's quite easy to use in terms of being able to do other things while leaving it on your face; drinking, eating, talking, etc. Although it says to wipe excess off, I prefer to rinse it off, otherwise an irritating layer is left behind. I find that rinsing it off though can be quite a difficult feat, as however many times I rinse, there is still some product left on my face. The tub is easy to open and close, and the mask itself spreads out on the face thinly and evenly with ease.

Bang for your Buck:
As masks are meant to be used 1-2 times a week, this mask can easily last a good 4-5 months or more depending on how often you use it. At $18.50 for 100ml however, it is still a pricey product. If you have very sensitive skin and if this product helps to soothe that, then I'd say it is well worth the price.

Final Consensus:
Overall, I'm quite underwhelmed. I was hoping that this mask would really help hydrate my skin the more I used it, would help soothe my minor irritations and would keep my skin looking and feeling nice throughout these drier months. However, it only slightly rehydrates my skin while leaving my with most of my dry patches in tact, tends to clog my pores (I just washed the mask off 10 minutes ago or so, and noticed that the blackheads on my nose and chin, and the two on my cheek seemed much more visible) and can often sting my lips and eye area. That being said, I will continue to use it on the driest parts of my face, and I will perhaps use it all over before another mask to ensure that my skin doesn't dry out too much. I would not repurchase, as it does not seem to be for my skin, nor does the line seem promising to me (had negative results with the scrub, caused irritation).

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2009 1:42:00 AM More reviews by raynie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

im not surprised by this product, or dispointed by this product either. it's a ok mask product. i recommend person using it who has dry skins. just following the direction and using it in RIGHT way. the only effect on me is that it sortly kindly shrink my pores, but just the second day i wake up...... so.. not big deal product. wont buy it anymore.