July 22, 2014 | 2498 users online

Foundations - Almay - TLC Truly Lasting Color

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by kaitsy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this foundation quite a lot whilst going through university, when I thought my makeup collection was at it's best and when I took more time applying it. I'm a drug store makeup girl (mostly) but I have tried some high end brands from Sephora recently. I had luck with the higher end brands, certainly, and the coverage was incredible but I found they oxidized on me. And that is my problem with a LOT of foundations, in general - Turning that awful orange mask-y colour. I had a bit of a love affair with Garnier's BB Cream recently, and I loved the coverage/finish of that but - again - too dark, too orange-y by the end of the day, and I also became quite oily (not unexpected but I knew I could do better). I've tried Maybelline's Superstay foundation in recent months (oxidized), and Cover Girl's 3 in 1 Foundation, too (not bad, the colour was good but I would get oily).

Anyway, it was inevitable I would come back to this, I guess. Almay is more expensive than those brands by about ten dollars where I shop, but it was time. It is kind of sticky like I remember it to be, but I'm such an oily person that I don't find it hinders my application at all. The coverage is less than I remember, but I'm okay with that because I didn't want something too full in the summertime. It's nice coverage, natural, but covers my dark spots, acne, and acne scars without too much product. It lasts long, I don't get very oily, it does NOT oxidize (Buff matches me quite perfectly), and my skin in general just looks better whilst, and even AFTER wearing it. My pores are smaller, I'm less oily, and my overall complexion while wearing this foundation is just so nice. Not too matte, not too dry, just a nice, natural, but serious coverage. I am RELIEVED to be using it again, if I'm quite honest. I've used L'Oreal's Infallible in the past, and I found it rubbed off high traffic areas of my face quite easily (around the mouth/chin), but Almay's TLC stays put and treats my skin well. So glad I came back to it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Zagliadod

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The texture of my skin is rough and dry, and I am very easily irritated and broken out. I am still looking for a great foundation, but am using this in the mean time. It has good coverage and is gentle on my face, which is a rarity. The problems I have with it are that it is a bit sticky and can be hard to apply smoothly, and that it dries a bit chalky on my already dehydrated skin. It would probably be very nice on normal or maybe even slightly oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Skilo888

I keep coming back to this foundation after years of trying many other more expensive foundations. I have the most sensitive skin ever and have reactions to even the most "sensitive skin friendly" products. I mix two pumps of TLC with 3 pumps of Aveda hydrating lotion to thin it out. This works for an all over coverage that's still natural enough for a sunny day. I'm a lifer now!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2014 5:42:00 AM More reviews by reneemeraz510

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have continuously repurchased this foundation for around four years and I still use it whenever I apply my makeup.

Back when I was in high school, I suffered from terrible acne. I found that the only foundation that did not break my skin out at the time was Bare Minerals Matte SPF 15, however, I was in need of a more affordable foundation and just happened to be shopping at Target. I decided to walk into the makeup department, and purchased the color Buff on a whim. I figured since Almay's cosmetics target those who have sensitive skin, I hoped that this line would live up to its words and would not cause any further breakouts. When I got home, I decided to read up on some reviews and many people raved about this product. I then decided to give it a try.

The first thing I noticed with the packaging is that it has a pump, which is great because I dislike pouring out foundation and wasting a bunch of product. My skin tone is about an NC-30 in MAC and contains plenty of yellow undertones. The color Buff is a bit too light for me, however, a touch of bronzer made it look just right. I noticed the shade I got has yellow/ golden undertones which suits my skin tone perfectly unlike most drugstore foundations I have tried in the past. The consistency was not too thick, nor was it runny. I applied this foundation with a stippling brush and it glided on seamlessly. This foundation has a light to medium coverage and dries to a matte finish, which is a plus in my book due to the fact that I have oily skin. It lasted all day with very little oil break through, zero oxidation, and did not cause any breakouts. It also feels very light weight on the skin and did not settle into any of my pores. The coverage of this foundation is somewhat build able, however, it was unable to completely cover a few of my scars and hyper pigmentation I had on my face. One thing that I did notice with this foundation is that it can cause a white cast when taking photos with flash because it contains SPF 15, but I overlooked this problem since I normally apply SPF 50 under my makeup anyways.

My acne has subsided ever since and I no longer have to continuously break my bank by purchasing higher end foundations when I can spend less than $10 on a drugstore foundation that works just as good if not better in my opinion!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by elsamarie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for the past couple of weeks waiting for something to go wrong with it. I always find something wrong with a new foundation. It oxidizes, causes a breakout, gets too oily, looks too dry, doesn't last, or doesn't match. I have always had a terrible time finding a good match. Now that you understand that I'm very picky with foundation I'll say that I can't find a thing wrong with this foundation. It's really working for me. It wears very well. Last weekend I put it on at 8am and washed it off at 10pm. I looked long and hard at my face before I washed it off to see how it looked and it still looked great. It didn't separate, get oily, look icky under my eyes, pool in my pores, or wear off. It actually looked almost exactly the same as it did in the morning. I have not put powder over it because it doesn't need it. It actually looks better throughout the day because it starts to look a bit softer. I doesn't cause the skin under my eyes to look crepey at all. It also has not caused any breakouts for my sensitive skin.
I'm using Neutral and it's a great match for my NC30/35 skin.
I use one pump and apply with my finger tips by pressing it gently rather than spreading it around like a moisturizer. Any more than one pump and it starts to look cakey. I would say it has medium coverage, which I usually don't choose because I have a lot of redness and uneven skin tone, but I really like it anyway.
I don't put it on my eyelids because my eyeshadow creases terribly over this. I give the foundation a few minutes to dry while I put on my eyeshadow primer and then I'm ready to put my blush on.
You can't beat the price, either. I paid about $8 at Rite-Aid when it was on sale. Save your receipt and you can return it there if you don't like it.
I really love this foundation and I rarely say that about any foundation. I'm so thrilled that I found an affordable drugstore foundation. I will definitely buy this again and again. Please don't discontinue! It's my HG!

***Edited to add***
After getting a bit of sun I would normally use mac nc40 and I've found that Almay TLC Honey is a great match. I was surprised because it was the darkest shade they had and I'm far from dark, but it worked well. I tried Warm first and it was too light and too pink. So yay! Still my HG!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2014 4:47:00 PM More reviews by roman0vmarisa

I personally love this make. I have some surface acne scars and a little bit of acne and just started using proactive and threw away my other makeup that was non-com. I bought this not knowing how it would be. I absolutely love it! I don't think it's thick at all, it feels like I have nothing on my face. I usually have used heavy concealer and foundation before but with this foundation I don't need to use concealer, but I set this foundation with a little elf powder - it's cheap and the best powder I have used, even more so than bare minerals! It stays on very well, all day and it doesn't change it's color or rub off from my hands or clothes. Overall, it's fantastic. Amazing coverage. Long-lasting color, good price and it truly lasts all day.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/21/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Kelro

I'll start by giving a background here. I have suffered from acne on and off for 5 years. My skin is very oily and very sensitive (yay for me!) so needless to say, it's quite fussy. I've recently been put back in the hands of a dermatologist to get rid of the massive breakouts occurring all over my face.

That being said, my previous HG foundation was Estée Lauder Double Matte which was sadly discontinued. Foundation gods, why must you mock me?! In light of that tragedy, I was back on the hunt for a good foundation, preferably drugstore because that would make my wallet very happy!

So I go and start carefully reading labels on countless bottles, trying to find something oil free and non-comodegenic. This is surprisingly hard to find, but I picked up Almay's TLC, saw where the label stated that it met those two qualifications, and bought it.

I tried it the next day. The consistency is very thick, which was fine. I thought that meant it would cover pretty well, but sadly it did not. I first tried it with a sponge (which gave me very light coverage) and then a stippling brush. The best I got was medium coverage with the brush. Again, this was fine, I can live with things peeking through. The finish was very nice, sorta satiny on my skin. It looked natural. The color also was a good match, I purchased the shade Buff. Staying power surprised me in the best way, it lasted a good 10 hours when I wore it.

Now on to why it gets such a low rating in my book: the blemishes. Now, I normally test foundations for a while before I judge them, but I could not go more than 3 days. The first day I wore it, when I washed it off I noticed a new blemish by my nose. Although I'm used to getting face demons, my face has been free of new ones since starting my new acne routine. I brushed it off as nothing and applied again the next day. Once again, when I was removing it at the end of the day there was a new blemish, only this time on my cheek and quite painful. At this point, I was pretty sure it was the foundation, but I decided to try it one last day just to be sure. Big mistake. As I took my makeup off, not only was the one on my cheek significantly bigger and more painful, there was the addition of two more blemishes on the same cheek. That was the final straw for me.

To wrap this up, I wanted to like this foundation because it looked great on, lasted, and was easy on the bank account, but I suffer from enough acne without a foundation adding more to it. It may claim to not be pore clogging, but I beg to differ.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by oscarnabby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is another foundation that is going back to Rite Aid after only one use (the other being Revlon Photoready), and for almost the same reasons. This foundation was stinging my skin the moment I put it on. I wore it the whole day anyway (I know, I know...pretty stupid but my skin is rarely that sensitive). After the initial stinging went away, I noticed that my face just felt tighter and tighter all day. Stinging sensation returned after about five hours of wear. My wrinkles under my eyes looked horrendous. I couldn't take it anymore, and went to wash it off, and when I took out my contacts and could see my skin close up, I was oddly fascinated to observe that it seemed to have caused my entire chin to peel, and the foundation was caked around the peelie islands. Aside from the fact that my skin hated this foundation like a mofo, I can't think of any redeeming quality to it aside from the nice pump bottle. It didn't provide much coverage at all, and the color selection is severely lacking. I would need a warm shade between neutral and buff, which they don't have (NC25).

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 3:40:00 AM More reviews by gmmuto48

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

So I love/hate this product. Here is a quick overview of why and further down I'll put more details for those of you who aren't in a hurry/ are more thorough when deciding on a potentially new product.

Love:
- Consistency
- Coverage
- Lasts All Day (12 Hours)
- Looks Natural/Skin Like
- Velvet Matte
- Also my face has not broken out once this whole month with this product- even through stress and humidity and TOM- not one single zit which is a miracle!

Hate:
- Color Range= too pink/dark (I got the shade 120)
- Oxidizes BIG TIME
- Settles in fine lines under eyes and accentuates them! (only 21! my eyes should not look like I'm 50!)
-Drying Time (15 minutes)

Love Details:
-Consistency: Very thick/ creamy- just nice (I apply with a beauty blender)

-Coverage: Evens out skin but will need concealer for under eyes- I can't really say how well it covers zits because this makeup didn't clog my pores enough to get one! :D despite being very hard to take off at night :P

-Lasting Power: This foundation really does last all day. I have had the opportunity to try it out in every climate over this month- from freezing with ice to humid and sunny 85 degrees. I'm a college student so I need my makeup to last my 12 hour school days from 8am when I put it on to about 9 at night and this stays on although it does get a little shiny (but not oily looking) around 10 hours but that's still better than most! Also I do wear a primer and I DON'T set it with powder and I DON'T blot either.. foundation is garbage to me if I have to do either of those two things.

-Looks: This makeup also looks like my skin which is so refreshing to find in a matte foundation! That being said... It doesn't really help cover pores if that's something you're looking for but it doesn't accentuate them either. Also the matte is velvet not just flat looking which is nice also because for everyday you just don't want to look super fake/perfect just mostly perfect.

- Skin Types: I have combination/oily skin and I find that makeup can break me out, especially some of Revlon's line like the Colorstay Whipped and Kat Von D's Lock It Tattoo Foundation but this foundation actually allowed my pores to stay clear enough to the extent that I was able to keep an acne free face which I didn't know was possible with a liquid foundation. I also found that on the icy/dry days of this month, this foundation did not accentuate any dry patches I had which is also nice because then you can wear it during any season.

Hate Details:
-Color Range: Looking at this in the store I knew it was going to be too pink/ dark but I picked it up anyways in hope that it would blend out which it does but then it oxidizes but I'll get to that later. But anyways there's only like 6 shades so very poor color range form Almay. :P

-Oxidizing: Yaayyy! Who doesn't love an orange face?? So yeah, it's very strange because this makeup although too pink, it blends out and while it's wet, it matches my neck which is white/yellowy so I have no idea what's going on with this makeup! First it's too pink, then it's good and then it turns orange so who knows! All I know is that anyone can tell that my face is orange and dark even with inside lighting! Outside is probably even worse! So that's my major con with this makeup and why I probably won't buy it again.

-Settles: This makes me so mad.. like almost perfect foundation but then it makes my eyes look so old its not even kind of acceptable. Although it doesn't settle into my smile lines which is just beyond me because you'd think it would do both if it did one? So another huge con for me.. nobody wants to look 30 years older than they actually are.

-Drying Time: This is just annoying and it really confused me the first I tried this product. When I put this on, it looks like my face is sweating.. like not oily or dewy but sweating and its not pretty. So the first time I put it on, I was like euww.. and walked out the door (for class) and hoped it would dry by the time I got there. Also this takes like 15 MINUTES to dry on my face! That's soooooo long! And annoying! My blush brush is absolutely disgusting looking because the foundation is still wet when I put my blush on because who has an extra 15 minutes in the morning to wait for their makeup to dry? Not me.

SO do I recommend this makeup? Yes and no.. If you can find a good match in the store and you do not tend to oxidize then yes. But if you do tend to oxidize and you can't really find a good match I'd say skip it and spend your 14 bucks elsewhere.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/12/2014 8:04:00 AM More reviews by allycat7005

This foundation is awful. It's not easy to blend, and no matter how much you try, it always looks cakey. This foundation is NOT meant for dry skin. A couple of hours after I applied it, I noticed that the skin on my nose stated peeling. Will not be repurchasing.