MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 2/18/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have so many 187 brushes I really do love them, my issue is the amount of hairs they drop it is insane! I am constantly using an eyebrow spoolie to pick all the hairs up!!!

on 12/10/2016 12:08:00 PM

This is a total disappointment..the lady there convinced me to buy it and for my bad luck I didnt even try it there. The bristles are way too loose and fanned actually there arent enough of them. There seems to be a big gab between each and the hair tend to bend easily. Believe me it doesnt give airbrush finish in fact I was ended up with streaky finish. And to make the situation worse the hair started to fall all over my face. This a total waste of money.

I bought mine in 2009 and it's still going strong. I've used it every day for seven years and only the labels have worn off and it's a tad bit more flared out at the bristles than when first bought.
I will say yes, it shed like 5-7 hairs at first but it stopped after a year. Nothing too ridiculous and only slightly annoying.This is when I was just into makeup and was heavy handed and washed with dishsoap and handsoap like hardly ever. Gross- I know! But I only used this to set foundation /apply the mineralize powders from Mac, I was not even tapping into this brushes potential for five years. While at Mac one day I saw this artist using it for foundation applications and creams and was amazed. Using this as a stippling/buffing brush for studio fix, nars sheer glow, guerlain lingerie de peau, estee lauder double wear is AMAZING.
But you have to delevop the proper techniques if you dot the foundation on the face first and then try and swipe or stipple or buff it...it will leave it streaky but if you first stipple the brush into foundation and start stippling into the center and then blending in soft small circles it gives a natural airbrush finish.You can't try and use this like a buffing brush it's a different technique trust me.
I use this to first apply foundation -then I stipple my mineralize powder in medium with the same brush to set the foundations and or concealers and once I completely finish the makeup I use this to buff out any harsh lines and fix+ it. To me this is a must have for this reason I would of look like such an idiot if I didn't have this brush when I first started makeup. This makes any lines or harshness go away and leave natural blending just beautiful airbrush like finish. I love using this for everything I recommend this as one of the first high end brushes to buy you can use it for the whole face- in fact I only owned two brushes from there and in total for like four years when I was starting out. Now that I am a freelance makeup artist, I truly appreciate and believe this is one of the best brushes ever. I use this everyday personally and otherwise seriously. Now- since my clientele is picking up I am going to buy another set of 188 and 187 just for clients.
Pro's
Can be used for foundation,powder, blushes especially cream blushes, bronzer, blending and using on models face, arms,legs, back and shoulders and my favorite chest especially those who have breakouts there with Mac face and body foundation because sponges waste product and too time consuming on sets.
Doesn't waste product I use this over a beauty blender.
Cleans easily mine never stained on the white bristles it always washes out.
Airbrush finish and good for no makeup looks

Con's
Embrassing to pick bristle hairs of clients ( which is why I am scared of buying and using the new ones on them ) and annoying when
I was in a rush and using it. ( it stopped after a year)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I love this brush! I can't say that enough. :)

Normally I use a BB to apply foundation because I like the way the BB sheers out the makeup, but when I need or want extra coverage, I go for the 187 Duo Fiber brush.

Let me just say that MAC brushes are an investment. I think I've had this brush for maybe 6 years or so, and it's just as good as the day I bought it.

If you take care of your brushes, they will take care of you. They should last you AT LEAST 5 years, possibly 10 if you aren't rough with them.

I hope and pray that MAC doesn't go the way of so many other companies and start making cheaper products just to make a few extra pennies. I can't stand it when companies cheat their loyal customers. But so far, so good with MAC and their brushes.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i use this for my studio fix and it works very well. distributes the perfect amount of product. occasionally when i go off my studio fix kicks i clean off the brush and use it as a blush brush....it's a very versatile blush and is aestheically pleasing IMO.

on 2/17/2016 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I got this brush with short handle, same price as the long handle but better for touch ups on the go. This brush is like 1000x better than Beauty Blender. After seing a beauty guru on YT blending her bronzer/blush with a stippling brush and making it look polished and really well blended, like you know when she put her bronzer and blush, it kind of looked like two separate stripes but then she blended it with the brush and I was like damn, what a difference! She was using the one from sigma, but I'm totally not buying into YT sponsored crap so I decided straight away to get an original stippling brush which is MAC of course and having most of my brushes from them. I went out like literally the next day to the counter with my friend and we were there for over 2 hours and I almost forgot about this brush, but got it literally on the way out and firstly for a night out I used it only for blending in the blush/bronzer/contour, cause I'm heavy handed but this brush made it look so good without any lines that happen with heavier application.

After like a couple of weeks I actually used it for foundation and I was literally stunned with how it looked and the fact that after using just a couple of pumps of light-med coverage (L'oreal Lumi) instead of heavier Nars foundie, I didn't even need any concealer on my face beyond the eye area to brighten, like say what? With BB sponge, I always felt a need to pile on concealer on my chin, around my mouth, and so on, because any blemishes/redness was showing through and I know some people like that natural finish, but I opt for med-full coverage, so it was just taking more time and product to get my desired finish.
I also used this brush to blend the under eye concealer, then swiped any residue on a tissue and used it for setting powder and then blush (I use bronze blushes, slightly darker than my skin, so if you're into pinks, reds etc, I wouldn't use the same brush for both obviously!). It's literally like real life photoshop, if you look at what BB sponge promises, you will get everything from this brush but a million times better, more airbrushed, more perfected, more polished, like I never seen my makeup looking this good!

*** TLDR: Best brush ever! Foundation looks even more flawless after using it than BeautyBlender plus you can use twice as little product yet get more coverage. You can do your whole makeup just using this brush (swiping residue on tissue between layers). Perfect for keeping it in a purse for touch ups (especially the short handle version!). If I could only buy one face brush, it would be this, it's seriously amazing! :)

on 1/18/2016 8:08:00 PM

BEST PURCHASE EVER! BEST WAY TO APPLY LIQID FOUNDATION! I'm a foundation girl because I have acne scars; I have tried a lot of different techniques, sponges are nice but they dont give 100% AIRBRUSHED finish like this brush does. I catch myself in the mirror all the time because of how AIRBRUSHED my skin looks. 1 spritz of fix plus helps it to blend like a dream. Does shed a little of black hair but nothing does better than this for me so I don't care. (I've tried knock off but this is the best, and I have not tried the Chanel Stippling brush).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This brush is a real bummer. Maybe I got a dud? I have had it for years, and it sits in the brush graveyard. I wish I had returned it right away.

It sheds, a lot. I thought eventually this might stop, but it hasn't. Very frustrating at this price point.

I don't care for this to apply foundation. I find the bristles a little too soft, and a little too long. (but maybe it just isn't dense enough because it sheds so much?)

As far as softness goes, it is quite soft, but still feels a little pokey against my cheeks when I use it. There are much softer options out there. It just doesn't feel that great against my skin.

I have found ways to use it. It works quite well for applying subtle bronzer, or really pigmented blushes. It picks up product lightly, so you can apply pigmented product very lightly.
But honestly, there are brushes out there that do this just as well, if not better - and cost 1/4 of the price. This is just not a brush I reach for.

on 12/14/2015 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I agree with every comments that says that this brush sheds, because it does! I think this is really pointless with liquids and a good buffing brush or sponge is far less work. I bought it maybe 5 years ago when skunk brushes were all the rage.

However, I really like this brush for powder. I have very dry skin that tends to be flaky and this brush is extremely soft on the skin and does not create micro exfoliation. I use it to apply setting powder lightly every day and I love it for that. It also work for very pigmented blushes, but I actually prefer my suquu blush brush or a fan brush over that. Still work in a whim though.

If you are looking for a good brush for light setting powder application and don't mind the shedding, this brush is a good option.

on 10/27/2015 5:31:00 PM

I bought this brush after it came highly recommended by several friends but I have to say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. I've had this brush for over a year and it still sheds like crazy. Yes, it gives me a nice smooth finish but I spend more time picking out the bristles than actually doing my makeup. It's hard to clean - the white part stains and no matter what I do, there's still a slight stain or discolouration. the actual brush is great to use and it's soft on the face. The distribition of product is great andI don't have to work too hard to get a near flawless finish. But I hate how much it sheds.

I actually went to the MAC counter to get a refund on this product but they wouldn't let me because they said that the shedding was a normal part of "breaking in" the brush and that after about 6 months, that would stop. I've been using this for over a year and it still sheds like crazy.

I'm on the lookout for another stippling brush.

Popular Makeup Brushes