MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I love this brush! I can't say that enough. :)

Normally I use a BB to apply foundation because I like the way the BB sheers out the makeup, but when I need or want extra coverage, I go for the 187 Duo Fiber brush.

Let me just say that MAC brushes are an investment. I think I've had this brush for maybe 6 years or so, and it's just as good as the day I bought it.

If you take care of your brushes, they will take care of you. They should last you AT LEAST 5 years, possibly 10 if you aren't rough with them.

I hope and pray that MAC doesn't go the way of so many other companies and start making cheaper products just to make a few extra pennies. I can't stand it when companies cheat their loyal customers. But so far, so good with MAC and their brushes.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

i use this for my studio fix and it works very well. distributes the perfect amount of product. occasionally when i go off my studio fix kicks i clean off the brush and use it as a blush brush....it's a very versatile blush and is aestheically pleasing IMO.

To Read all 1314 Reviews, Login or Join

on 2/17/2016 7:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I got this brush with short handle, same price as the long handle but better for touch ups on the go. This brush is like 1000x better than Beauty Blender. After seing a beauty guru on YT blending her bronzer/blush with a stippling brush and making it look polished and really well blended, like you know when she put her bronzer and blush, it kind of looked like two separate stripes but then she blended it with the brush and I was like damn, what a difference! She was using the one from sigma, but I'm totally not buying into YT sponsored crap so I decided straight away to get an original stippling brush which is MAC of course and having most of my brushes from them. I went out like literally the next day to the counter with my friend and we were there for over 2 hours and I almost forgot about this brush, but got it literally on the way out and firstly for a night out I used it only for blending in the blush/bronzer/contour, cause I'm heavy handed but this brush made it look so good without any lines that happen with heavier application.

After like a couple of weeks I actually used it for foundation and I was literally stunned with how it looked and the fact that after using just a couple of pumps of light-med coverage (L'oreal Lumi) instead of heavier Nars foundie, I didn't even need any concealer on my face beyond the eye area to brighten, like say what? With BB sponge, I always felt a need to pile on concealer on my chin, around my mouth, and so on, because any blemishes/redness was showing through and I know some people like that natural finish, but I opt for med-full coverage, so it was just taking more time and product to get my desired finish.
I also used this brush to blend the under eye concealer, then swiped any residue on a tissue and used it for setting powder and then blush (I use bronze blushes, slightly darker than my skin, so if you're into pinks, reds etc, I wouldn't use the same brush for both obviously!). It's literally like real life photoshop, if you look at what BB sponge promises, you will get everything from this brush but a million times better, more airbrushed, more perfected, more polished, like I never seen my makeup looking this good!

*** TLDR: Best brush ever! Foundation looks even more flawless after using it than BeautyBlender plus you can use twice as little product yet get more coverage. You can do your whole makeup just using this brush (swiping residue on tissue between layers). Perfect for keeping it in a purse for touch ups (especially the short handle version!). If I could only buy one face brush, it would be this, it's seriously amazing! :)

on 1/18/2016 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

BEST PURCHASE EVER! BEST WAY TO APPLY LIQID FOUNDATION! I'm a foundation girl because I have acne scars; I have tried a lot of different techniques, sponges are nice but they dont give 100% AIRBRUSHED finish like this brush does. I catch myself in the mirror all the time because of how AIRBRUSHED my skin looks. 1 spritz of fix plus helps it to blend like a dream. Does shed a little of black hair but nothing does better than this for me so I don't care. (I've tried knock off but this is the best, and I have not tried the Chanel Stippling brush).

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This brush is a real bummer. Maybe I got a dud? I have had it for years, and it sits in the brush graveyard. I wish I had returned it right away.

It sheds, a lot. I thought eventually this might stop, but it hasn't. Very frustrating at this price point.

I don't care for this to apply foundation. I find the bristles a little too soft, and a little too long. (but maybe it just isn't dense enough because it sheds so much?)

As far as softness goes, it is quite soft, but still feels a little pokey against my cheeks when I use it. There are much softer options out there. It just doesn't feel that great against my skin.

I have found ways to use it. It works quite well for applying subtle bronzer, or really pigmented blushes. It picks up product lightly, so you can apply pigmented product very lightly.
But honestly, there are brushes out there that do this just as well, if not better - and cost 1/4 of the price. This is just not a brush I reach for.

on 12/14/2015 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I agree with every comments that says that this brush sheds, because it does! I think this is really pointless with liquids and a good buffing brush or sponge is far less work. I bought it maybe 5 years ago when skunk brushes were all the rage.

However, I really like this brush for powder. I have very dry skin that tends to be flaky and this brush is extremely soft on the skin and does not create micro exfoliation. I use it to apply setting powder lightly every day and I love it for that. It also work for very pigmented blushes, but I actually prefer my suquu blush brush or a fan brush over that. Still work in a whim though.

If you are looking for a good brush for light setting powder application and don't mind the shedding, this brush is a good option.

on 10/27/2015 5:31:00 PM

I bought this brush after it came highly recommended by several friends but I have to say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed. I've had this brush for over a year and it still sheds like crazy. Yes, it gives me a nice smooth finish but I spend more time picking out the bristles than actually doing my makeup. It's hard to clean - the white part stains and no matter what I do, there's still a slight stain or discolouration. the actual brush is great to use and it's soft on the face. The distribition of product is great andI don't have to work too hard to get a near flawless finish. But I hate how much it sheds.

I actually went to the MAC counter to get a refund on this product but they wouldn't let me because they said that the shedding was a normal part of "breaking in" the brush and that after about 6 months, that would stop. I've been using this for over a year and it still sheds like crazy.

I'm on the lookout for another stippling brush.

on 10/23/2015 10:33:00 AM

Count me among the underwhelmed. I've had this brush for a long time--I bought it and the 188 together. It costs $42. Mine doesn't shed, but it is impossible to clean. The white bristles stay stained, and sometimes even smell bad. And the whole stippling thing doesn't work for me. I wind up with splotches of product all over my face. This brush really can't be used for buffing--it just winds up swirling product in circles. I suppose some people could use it for the same purpose as the 188 (which I'm not crazy about either--I use it for very pigmented blush since it applies it lightly), except this brush is too big for blush.

on 7/29/2015 9:25:00 PM

love this brush , it can give you an airbrush look , and easy to clean

on 7/19/2015 11:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have a question I bought mine at allcosmeticswholesale.com (ACW) {Full price $42}
So far it seems authentic, I suppose. Except when I run my fingernail along the first ridge of the ferrule it is jagged and catches my nail a lot! Does yours?! Or is mine possibly a fake? I just bought it, and received it yesterday, so I can still return it so I was hoping someone could kindly help clear it up ASAP! I would post a picture but I'm not sure how to.

Popular Makeup Brushes