MAC Patentpolish in Pleasant

4.5

on 11/16/2017 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Like the previous reviewer, I picked this up as my MAC Select anniversary gift. I was torn between this shade or Ruby but as they were sold out of Ruby, I chose Pleasant (dilemma solved). This is an interesting product. It's not really a lipstick nor is it a gloss (it's not sticky/thick like MAC Lipglass, for example). It delivers a nice, natural hit of "MLBB" colour and the format is nice since I can swipe this on without a mirror, much as I'd do with a lip balm. With "chapped lip" weather approaching, it's nice to have that option. The price for this was excellent (as it was free) but I'm not sure if I'd actually buy it at full price - $20 here in Canada.

Okay - having used this for 4 or 5 days, I've really come to like it. The shade is lovely - a pinky-red that isn't too bold looking but still brightening - and it feels really nice and hydrating. I may actually purchase another one or two of these as I find them really quick, easy and practical.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

After I purchased one of these in Kittenish (separate review), I got an anniversary gift from MAC for another Patentpolish. Yay! This time I picked out Pleasant. I. LOVE. It.

Pleasant is a sheer, very wearable red. The MAC website calls it "rosy pink." Maybe, but on me it reads closer to red, in a pink way.

What is it? A twist-up lip crayon that adds color, feels smooth and a little slick (but not icky). It's not a lipstick, but not a gloss either. MAC calls it a hybrid. Okay, if you say so. I call it fun!

What does it do? Adds a little color on bare lips, and just looks a bit shiny. Over lipstick, it softens the color a bit and adds just shine. I also find it helps ease some of the dry matte-mouth feeling you get after a couple of hours with some lipsticks. It also helps your color last a little longer. IF I don't wear this alone, I love to put it over MAC Red lipstick. I like reds but I don't like them to wear me, if that makes sense? This makes that red an easy, everyday color.

It's not super long-lasting but I easily get maybe three hours' wear out of it. It does transfer some but is easy to even out with a smoosh. Very easy to reapply without a mirror. Does not travel into fine lines (but I always use MAC Prep & Prime Lip with everything).

Would I buy it again? Probably. I am kind of a lipstick junkie, though, so by the time I run out, I could easily be chasing the next best thing. So far, I've had it for about a month, using maybe 3 times a week and still have plenty.

I am mid-50s, dryish skin, blonde (today), and fair-medium with cool undertones (NW 18).