MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Nippon

MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Nippon

4.2

on 2/10/2019 10:46:00 PM

Nippon is my favorite lipstick. I have fair skin and blue eyes with a neutral skin tone, leaning warm. I cant wear solid peach lipsticks - they look orangey on me and I generally cannot wear pinks . They look too lavendar or bluish. But this is the perfect pink for me. It is one of the only lighter pinks that I have found that are not blue based so I can wear it.\ It's kind of a peachy pink with a very good balance of both. Great for neutral complexions. It lasts for about 3 hours. Honestly if you cannot find the perfect pink and they all look sort of blueish or mauvey on you - try it. I just wish it was not so expensive. I have found that the Revlon super lustrous creme lipstick Pink in the Afternoon is a pretty decent dupe for this. Though it's one shade less neutral peachy than the Nippon.

I was looking for a dupe of Marc Jacobs Beauty lipstick in “Have We Met?”, which was my favorite sheer pink lipstick until it got discontinued in my country. Temptalia suggested “Nippon” as a dupe, so I got it (for free- thanks to Back 2 MAC program).
It’s a nice color, but not exactly as lovely as MJ. It’s a more saturated warm pink with a coral hue. I have yellow-olive skintone and usually typical coral shades don’t suit me (at all!), but this one is quite flattering.
I didn’t expect it to be long lasting, since sheer formulas usually aren’t, just wanted something I could apply on the run.
It’s quite a “dry” formula but doesn’t dry out my lips- it actually makes them look glossy and feels pretty lightweight (I hate sticky/creamy lipsticks).
Overall i don’t think it’s an outstanding product, you probably can get something similar at a lower price point. But I like it and probably use it up soon, just like my Marc Jacobs lipstick.

on 10/9/2017 1:52:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is a lovely color, don't get me wrong. It's a warm-toned, coral-y pink, with a somewhat glossy finish and a bit of slip. Against my muted warm coloring, it looks more like a neutral pink, with a bit of brightness to it.
As for the formula, it's not as opaque as I'd prefer. It's not that long-wearing and will come off after you eat, which would be forgivable...if it weren't for the fact that it leaves behind BUCKETS OF MICROGLITTER THAT STICK TO YOUR LIPS FOREVER.
Ahem. Sorry. Let's try that again.
Maybe the MAC Cremesheens just aren't for me. I'm fine with lipsticks needing touch-ups after I eat, but I look for lipsticks that wear off gracefully, so I don't have to worry excessively while eating about whether my lipstick abruptly looks awful. Nippon leaves behind visible microglitter on your lips even after the rest of the color goes away, and said glitter is the most persistent part of this lipstick -
it takes rubbing or hard wiping with a wet paper towel to remove. It's weird, because the lipstick doesn't even *look* glittery when you're wearing it normally, just...after the pigment comes off. I'm quite annoyed with it having this kind of fatal flaw, because as I said, it's a pretty color. I'll probably be looking for a similar color to replace it once I run out, but I won't repurchase it because of the formula issues.

For context: NC25, lips tend toward dryness, this was actually my first MAC lipstick but I now own several others (satin and matte finishes).

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Have been looking for that perfect coral for ages - most tend to pull really orange on me which is a shame.

I love this one. It is just the perfect brightening colour, doesn't look too much, just really fresh and pretty. Reminds me a bit of a peachy lipstick I had from L'Oreal (?) years ago; it has a slight shimmer to it. It's moisturising and lasts ok if you're not eating. It is fairly sheer so not hard to reapply though.

It's expensive for a lipstick I will need to reapply fairly often. But, when you find that perfect colour, you find the perfect colour!

Would buy again if I lost it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'm surprised no one has reviewed this lipstick but perhaps it's because MAC is constantly churning out collections that they all start becoming a blur.
Personally I tend to ignore them because I don't find the colours really all that unique (for the most part although there are exceptions) and it's essentially a big marketing ploy.

Nippon was released in the summer of 2015 as part of its Cremesheen Pearl collection with other Asian named lipsticks and glosses.
I chose Nippon because it's a hybrid of my beloved YSL #34 Rose Rive Gauche and MAC's Shanghai Spice. The MAC website describes it as a creamy mid-tone coral pink and I'd say that's somewhat accurate. It's actually rather subdued on my pigmented lips so if your lips are pale in nature, this would show up a lot more.

Nippon does have a sheen finish but it's not as shimmery as Sunny Seoul (which isn't that obvious either). I'll wear it with Shanghai Spice for a very natural lip look that still gives me enough colour.

It can settle into the lines of my mouth so I've deducted one lipstick for that. My YSL doesn't which is why I tend to favour that lipstick above the Cremesheens.
Still, I do like MAC's Cremesheens and the price point is much more reasonable than YSL.