Zote Soap

4.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Don't let the price fool you: you can get this for less than $1.00 at Walmart in the laundry aisle. The bars come in white, pink, or blue, but they're the same formula but the color of the bar is different. Thanks to MUB I picked this up to clean my BeautyBlender and other makeup sponges after taking too long with washing my sponge with dish soap. This soap works wonders with makeup brushes and sponges and laundry too. It smells like citronella, which is just fine as I don't mind (and like) the smell.

For sponges: I simply get my sponge super wet, and gently rub the dirty areas into the soap (it helps if the soap is a little wet too). Foundation stains are gone after that, even ones that (what I thought was) stained on. This stuff works so good that the pink dye on my BeautyBlender is also leaving with it (I don't have a problem with this at all). Being a daily sponge washer I can really appreciate this soap as it only takes me about 30 seconds to clean my sponge now. Before Zote, I would take at least a few minutes with dish soap.

For brushes: I used to use baby shampoo with a BrushEgg to clean my brushes but Zote basically replaced both of those things. Now I simply dampen the top of the Zote bar, wet a brush, and then swirl the brush into the bar. You'll see the color from the brush go straight onto the bar. It only takes about 10 seconds per brush to clean, then rinse (longer if you have face brushes).

For spot treating stains and laundry: Zote cleans of days old stains like it was never there in the first place. Get the clothing spot wet, get the surface of the soap damp, rub the clothing into the soap and days old food stains is gone. As I'm writing this, I sound like I should be the ShamWOW guy yelling at you about how amazing this stuff is, but it really is. I will be taking this bar of soap with me everywhere I go when I travel, you can even grate this into little tiny chunks and throw it into your washing machine as a laundry booster or without laundry detergent if you're in a pinch.

Storage: Zote is easy to cut, so I cut a piece off and put it into a travel soap container with the lid and keep that in the bathroom. The rest of the bar goes into the laundry area wrapped in saran wrap. I'll cut more chunks off for my sponge and brushes as needed. Though the bar is huge, one bar should last a while.

Edit 10/20/17, Comparing with BeautyBlender BeautyCleanser Solid: I got a BB BeautyCleanser Solid along with one of my BBs for free. The only difference is scent and the bar's texture. BeautyCleanser Solid does not smell like citronella (BeautyCleanser Solid doesn't have a strong smell), and the BeautyCleanser Solid is a bit harder than Zote. Performance-wise, it's the same. So if the scent and texture difference doesn't bother you, don't bother wasting the $ on the BB BeautyCleanser Solid!

Beef tallow soap that has a citronella scent that can easily be found at Walmart, Big Lots, & HEB for 99cents. It contains a degreaser which is the reason why it's fabulous for cleaning makeup brushes and even better for its intended purpose, which is to clean laundry. It's really easy to cut into smaller chunks, so I keep a piece for makeup bushes and another for laundry stains. Works wonders on white tshirts & socks! Simply make soapy water in a large bowl & soak your whites for an hour or two. And if your skin isn't finicky, you can shower with this to keep your skin mosquito free for a few hours. I haven't tried this, but my fatherNlaw can't use any type of mosquito sprays because it triggers severe severe asthma and Zote is the only thing that will give him relief during mosquito season.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This stuff is $1 at walmart and impossible to beat in terms of being used as a makeup brush/beauty blender cleaner! This is the only beauty blender cleaner I use, and I don't find that it damages the sponge nor does it make my brush bristles rough.. It's super effective and quick at cleaning and rinses out completely clean.

The way I use this is I will take a sharp knife and carefully cut the soap into 3-4 slices, that way I can use one piece without getting the rest of it weird/damp. Then I will rub it on my beauty blender and just rinse it out. Voila! totally clean and scentless.

I read about using this to clean makeup brushes. Found this at our local IGA for $1.29 for the larger 14.1 oz bar. Cleaned my makeup brushes so quickly! Sliced off a piece, put in the bottom of a cup, dampened my brush and swirled away. Very easy to rinse out. Now trying it on my husbands work clothes, so far so good. Took the lazy way and just threw very thin slices in the wash. Most people grate it.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I recently bought this recently and washed my brushes with it, and it was the single best thing i have used to wash my brushes. it is a definite must try for only $1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I tried this after all the hype I read online and I can tell you the hype is justified. This is cheap, smells great, and cleans makeup brushes with the most minimal effort of any product I've ever used. It rinses exceptionally clean too so no fear of build-up. And only .99 cents for a huge bar of the stuff! It's awesome! Only problem is that I'm only able to find it at Wal-Mart which is kind of inconvenient but not really since I'm at Wal-Mart at least once a week anyway.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse

I had never heard of this product until I read a review of it, and I bought it based solely on reviews. This is a 14.1 oz. bar of soap I found in the laundry products section of Walmart. It cost 97 cents. All I can say is that it cleans makeup brushes and sponges better than anything I have ever used in the past. Ever. The white fibers of my brushes are whiter than they have been since they were new. My RT sponge had Colorstay foundation in it, and I figured it was there to stay. Zote removed it LIKE THAT and was easy to rinse out. It rinses easier than anything I've ever tried. Ever. I'm going to try it on laundry problems, like when my husband drips olive oil on a shirt, or spaghetti sauce on a white T-shirt. This is beyond HG. I think it's SHG (supreme HG, in my book). It's cheap, easy to use, works like a dream. What more could you want? I'll update this review if I find any other problems it solves. It's amazing. Best thing ever. EVER. And this bar will last forever. FOREVER. Seriously.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Where has this been all of my life hahah. Before finding about this soap I used my facial cleanser with a EVOO to clean my brushes but it would take many washes to get foundation build up deep within the brush. With Zote Soap, it gets the gunk out effortless and in less washes. I do feel like it dries up my brushes so I remedy that by washing it one last time with my facial cleanser. This added step is also good for those with sensitive skin as to wash remaining detergent. I have never used this to wash my clothes but may consider it as this stuff is powerful!

I now look forward to washing my brushing as this awesome find makes it soo easy!

So a friend told me about this I figured she was just cheap and didn't want to spend the money on brush cleaner. This works unbelievably well, my white brush that was covered in foundation is white again.

Appearance wise it looks something like old soap and so attractive :). After the usage it smells great and works good.