Lime Crime Velvetines

Lime Crime Velvetines

3.6

on 3/22/2018 10:06:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This: https://www.racked.com/2015/9/28/9392021/lime-crime-doe-deere-hated-xenia-vorotova

on 1/15/2018 5:06:00 PM

Got five of the matte velvetines for Xmas, adding to my substantial collection of metallic velvetines. Could not be happier. Yes they are expensive, but a little goes a long way and they dry down to being transfer proof so much more quickly than any of the other liquid lipsticks I currently own, with the possible exception of JD glow (boujois, nyx). Much less drying/heavy on the lips than Jeffree Star.

Purchased the shade New Americana. These are my first impressions:
The colour is gorgeous, a flame red. The pigmentation is incredible - one light swipe and my lips were fully covered. The application is easy and it dries down very fast. The vanilla scent is delicious.
Once it's applied and dries down, it doesn't feel sticky, althought it is indeed very drying, even on moisturized lips. It's comfortable to wear and looks great for about two hours - after that, the drying feeling becomes very annoying. It starts to fade in the inner part of the lips, without drinking or eating anything.
I really love the colour, but for $20, I wouldn't buy it again. The formula didn't impress me and, in my opinion, it's not worth the money. It claims to be long wearing but it's not longwearing at all.
If you're searching for a cheap matte lipstick i would reccommend you check out Nyx Soft Matte Lip Creme - these are $6.50 and the formula is, in my opinion, way better than the Velvetines.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I LOVE THESE! These come in my top 3 favs (other two being OCC Liptars and Chanel Rouge Coco Ultra Hydrating Lipcolors)

Pros:
-lasts all day
-does not collect near my mouth (like nyx and many other liquid lipsticks tend to do)
-goes on smoothly and DOES NOT ACCENTUATE fine lines/lip imperfections (most lipsticks do that on me, so velvetines are special for me)
-OMG PIGMENTED! I tried this over another lipstick in the hopes of "mixing shades". BUT OMG it just covered the lipstick underneath completely!
-dont transfer (i can eat without worrying and i am too lazy for touch ups)
-dont feather
-the best black lipstick hands down! - black lipstick is hard and limecrime velvetine in black velvet is SO OPAQUE!

Cons:
-yes its drying. But, it has never been a problem for me. I dont even scrub my lips, just apply my keihl's lipbalm in pear 10 mins before applying this and it is very wearable. (honestly, mac rubywoo, as much as I love the color, is more drying than these...)

My personal favourite shades:
-red velvet. My fav red along with ruby woo, but the latter is more drying so I pick limecrime more often
-cashmere. My FAV nude - i have a neutral undertone with medium brown skin, and this doesn't wash me out but is not warm (like most other nudes meant for brown skin)
-bloodmoon. Instant sexy vamp omfg transformation!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Purchased the shades Blondie, Marshmallow, Bleached and Siren.

I expected Marshmallow to have much more of a nude pink tone, but came out looking very much like concealer. Bleached had to be my favorite. Perfect neutral lip for fair complexions with warm undertones. Blondie is a metallic gold sheer. Siren is a rose-gold metallic sheer. They both look better with a neutral matte shade underneath them. They both shed good amounts of glitter throughout thier wear. They also make great use as eye shadows.

Over all, I do not feel the colors were represented well online (I looked at them on numerous monitors) and the colors I received didn't look like what I saw online. I don't see how the actual lipstick packaging is called "Cute." I found it to be boring, even matronly. The box they were shipped in was absolutely adorable, turned inside out makes the cutest storage for lipsticks.

As for the formula, my lips are dry in the winter and I know liquid lipstick can exacerbate that. Even with scrub and moisturizing, these are significantly drying. They do flake, crack and pill off within an hour or two, but lip primer helped with this problem significantly and extended it's wear. The metallic shades were almost unappetizing, due to the amounts of glitter left on my drinking glass and eating utensils. Setting spray did not help.

The smell of the non metallic liquids was very nice, just a hint of vanilla cream. The metallic shades had a raw material smell, nothing to really bother, but not as pleasant.

My final opinion, is that these lipsticks are over-hyped. The website is alluring, the packaging that they shipped in was also. The product itself is mediocre. If the color selection was accurate (I find that to be pretty inaccurate) then they would be worth a repurchase. I don't think I will.

on 10/17/2017 8:56:00 AM

Disclaimer: I am not a lipstick wearer.
I got a set of velvetines from LimeCrime for my brithday a year ago and I've tried all of the colours by now and can give an honest review.
I find this formula very tacky and when it dries, it flakes off onto everything and in my mouth, and I find that extremely annoying. Disappointing me the most is that it stays so well, and makes it difficult to remove at the end of the day, but inevitably flakes.
To clarify, I exfoliate my lips regularly, drink plenty of water, and moisturize.
Maybe it's just me, but I have a tough time with these.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love these. I have 13 shades and although some are better than others, they're amazing overall. They don't transfer, I can eat, drink and kiss without any problems, and they stay on for a really long time. They do tend to flake a little by the end of the day or if applied too heavily but that's not really a problem in my opinion. I really enjoy the smell, however some of them smell a lot more like play doh than vanilla/cake/whatever it's supposed to be? A little strange but I also weirdly enjoy that. The shade "dream girl" does leave a strong pink tint on my lips after removal but that's the only shade that I own that does that. Some shades take two coats but almost all of them are good with one. My favorites out of the ones I own are squash, M$LF (from the bundle with the same name), Peacock (from the velvetine trio bundle) and Beet it.

(Disclaimer : I bought only one shade in "Shroom", so my opinion will be based on how this color and formula apply on my lip, and how I feel about it)

Lime Crime is one of those liquid lipsticks in the market that is comfortable to wear, and at the same time gives a complete matte finished look. Usually a liquid lipstick can have either problem that a consumer might find which is, 1) Matte and dehydrate your lip (Colorpop, I'm looking at you), or 2) Moussy-velvety feeling and not long wearing.

However, Lime Crime defeats this challenge. It dries down fast but does not dehydrate my lip. It is lightweight, super long lasting, and does not flake around my lip at the end of the day. I have dry lip, so finding a matte lipstick or liquid matte lipstick is always a challenge for me, but definitely not with Lime Crime.

To me, the price for Lime Crime is a bit high (USD 22 in Thailand) but considering the overall quality and wide ranges of colors (from the nudes to the pinks, to the reds, and some other funky colors) it offer, it is a product that is totally worth the money.

on 9/19/2017 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The OG matte liquid lipstick is the best for a reason. I've tried a lot of other "dupes" or brands of the Velvetines, but nothing else comes close. It lasts all day through everything, it's super lightweight, it doesn't dry my lips out, and the shade range is awesome.

on 9/11/2017 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in Dream Girl. I have not experienced the problems that other reviewers have.
I take good care of my lips. I found a perfect lip balm made by a Greek company, and I use it every morning and night. I also exfoliate my lips. I don't know if these make a difference or not. But I don't have cracking or flaking issues.

Dream Girl is a vampy, dark plum, similar to a light coat or two of Revlon's Black Cherry. I love it. When I apply Lime Crime, I don't layer it or apply it thick. With this shade it's not necessary. I put a dot on my finger tip, then apply to my lips. I keep doing this until my lips have an even, but not heavy, coat. I'll apply the tiniest bit of lanolin over it, which gives it a moister effect. The lanolin doesn't dissolve the coverage like other lip balms. I don't know why that is?
Wear time before it starts to fade is maybe 4 hours. That's good enough for me. I like the wet formula, the smell, and the small form factor of the packaging.
I only wear dark lip color, and I love finding a stain that is truly deep. I like that I can layer it. One light layer is perfect for a daily MLBB look. A thicker application is great for the evening.

I will repurchase Dream Girl.