NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 9/9/2017 11:29:00 AM

I like this for everyday wear since it is smooth and silky on my lips. Only problem is it doesn't last very long unless I put a ton of lip liner. I have three and plan on purchasing again. Very good for the price.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love these! They are a long lasting lipstick that is almost like a stain, but a bit creamier.

They can be a bit patchy if you don't exfoliate your lips first, but I do with some homemade sugar scrub and they go on like butter. They are also a bit drying at the 10 hour mark, but I kind of expected this since they are a drugstore brand. I keep some rose oil handy in my purse and slather on top and it gives me a nice sheen that mixes with whatever color I have on underneath.

I have Stockholm, Zurich, and Cannes. For reference I'm about an NC20 and pretty yellow, and I also have a lot of pigment in my lips that leans blue. So it's a challenge for me to find "natural" and nude lipsticks that don't make me look like a corpse.

Stockholm is a a very warm light peachy brown that is a bit too orange for my skin tone. Someone about NC35 and darker would find this to be a lovely warm nude, however.

Zurich is what I wanted to find in Stockholm. It is a light peachy pink with just enough brown that mixes very well with my skintone and natural lip color. The lipstick is definitely full coverage but as it starts to wear down a bit and my natural lips peek through, it's a complement rather than a contrast, especially when I mix it with my rose oil.

Cannes is a darker, slightly cooler, pinkier version of Zurich that I'm fairly convinced would look good on anyone. It is such a beautiful color and I didn't have any texture or fading issues with this, which is important since it's a darker shade (and dark lipsticks can tend to bleed matter what brand you buy).

Overall I highly recommend these especially if you're trying out the matte lipstick trend and don't feel like dropping 30 bucks on one tube of lipstick. These are cruelty free, have a huge range of colors, and are very affordable. Just be sure to exfoliate your lips first and you'll be good!

on 8/19/2017 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have strange relationship with these. I LOVE some of the colors, the smell is nice, they are so comfy to wear but they just are so patchy and they don't last on my lips at all. Berlin is my fav shade but the maintenance it requires it annoying. I probably will repurchase because I have no self-control.

on 8/14/2017 6:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love the formula!! It is a matte lipstick but it DOESN'T dry out your lips! Amazing! I got the color Amsterdam and it is so much brighter than in the package! I was a little alarmed but it drys to a really pretty red color. Very bright but it could be wearable if you like that type of color. They not last like a normal liquid lipstick does. Eating will make them patchy. For the price I think that these lip creams are worth it!

LOVE THESE. I personally like a matte finish but find that every other matte lips so drying but these! It applies smoothly and the colours in the collection are REALLY nice! I personally have Budapest, Rome and Berlin and they are some of my favourite shades of all time.

on 8/22/2017 11:55:00 AM

I think that they are overrated, I don't get the hype. These lip creams are patchy, hard to work with, "bleed" into soft lip wrinkles, they're not long lasting, applicator is to stiff and the only good thing about them is the smell. They smell exactly like whipped cream. First I got Copenhagen and it was so bad but I thought "ok its dark color they are notorious for being patchy ok lets try with another" and than I bought Rome and Amsterdam and nothings changed. Don't waste your money.

These are some of the OG liquid lipsticks and they are still great. Some of the best in my collection. They're very mousse-y and not liquidy at all. I have the colors Havana (a dark blue/purple), Vancouver (a very dark plum), and Copenhagen (deep, vampy red). Out of these, Havana is the most difficult to build up to full opacity, and Copenhagen is the easiest to work with. Here are some of my thoughts:

+ You can't beat the price and the quality. Pick these up at Ulta during a sale.
+ Huge color range.
+ These don't dry down completely, but they have less transfer than many other liquid lipsticks I've tried, and they remain very comfortable throughout the day.
+ They all layer really nicely.
+ They smell like vanilla or cake or something. Nothing strong, but pleasant.
+ Copenhagen is GORGEOUS. One of my favorite lipsticks, both for the color and the formula.
+ I've worn these with and without a lip liner. They work fine either way, though I prefer to wear these with a clear lip liner just in case. You know how it is with dark lipsticks.

- These are not completely transfer proof, though they don't advertise themselves as such.
- Some colors are difficult to work with. Havana has a lot of potential but it will never look completely blue/purple on me. Too sheer.

I will repurchase Copenhagen, and I will be trying more colors. These are really, really great and they outperform many more expensive lipsticks, both drugstore and high end.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. I currently own four: Berlin, Budapest, Vancouver and Copenhagen. Out of the four, my favorites are listed in the order that I wrote them. The staying power on these is not the greatest because on me they are not long wearing and I have to re-apply often, but the colors are so beautiful and the matte wear is so comfortable that I will not even take off a star for that. Honestly, I HIGHLY prefer the demi-matte lip cream formula to the matte formula of a product such as say...Colourpop Ultra Matte or Wet n Wild's now discontinued Megalast Liquid Lip Colors. I simply cannot tolerate a lip that is so matte that it dries your lips out. My skin and lips are dry enough already, who has time for anything that makes it even worse? I already single-handedly keep Carmex in business.

Anyways, on to the reviews!

Berlin was my first one of these creams. In the tube it shows up as a straight deep brown, but on me (woman of color, dominant undertone yellow) it is a brown with a very rich auburn/deep red cast to it. I absolutely love Berlin and wear it often as an everyday color. I just ran out (didn't know it was possible to run out of a lip cream, but I did it) and obviously I'm going straight to Target to buy another tube.

I just purchased Budapest and I already love it. I tend to stay far away from medium pinks and mauves, but I made an exception for this one. It was between Rome and Budapest, and Budapest won. On me its a dark orchid pink, and it too looks wonderful as an everyday lip color. I've been wearing it to work a lot as it is very understated.

Vancouver. Ahhh, Vancouver. City of towering, snowcapped mountains, beautiful and spectacular ocean views, dramatic coastlines and towering evergreens, and a fitting name for one of the more dramatic lip creams in this collection. I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't love a dark, moody, damn near goth lip color, and Vancouver is absolutely perfect. As a true daughter of the 90's, I cannot resist a deep, dark, blackened purple lip. Vancouver is that color that you're afraid to wear out of the house. It's that color that you pick up and put down over and over again, countless times until you finally toss it in the cart and say, 'fuck it, i'll find someplace to wear it to." And then you find that place and you wear it. You wear it out once and you decide it isn't that bad. Then you wear it again. Before you know it you're wearing it out on dates and scaring small children at coffee shops. That, my friends, is Vancouver. A fitting name for a fitting color well worthy of the city it's named for. Vancouver probably should be my favorite (and truth be told it is, but I'm simply too lazy to go back and re-write my entire review). Either way, I do not wear this to work. If I did, I wouldn't have a job. Hell, maybe I should wear it to work.

Copenhagen is the last color I have, and it is my least favorite. I purchased this color because I was hoping it would be a medium dark purple, one that is suitable for work. Copenhagen, on me, is not a medium dark purple, but a very red toned berry color. This would be ok, but I'm not really a fan of a berry colored lip. I do not do middle of the road lip colors. I stay on one of two extremes-dark, and darker. The farthest I go into light lips is a dark mauve. Either way, Copenhagen doesn't get much, if any wear time from me.

As far as price goes, there's far more lip creams that you could do worse to buy for what these cost. $5.99 is not a lot, and since I love the demi-matte formula that all of the colors in this line share, I don't consider these to be splurges at all. A word to the smell-to me they smell awful....like some girly cake. I'm not really a girl for sweets, so maybe that's why the smell annoys me, but it is very artificial and sweet. If scents bother you, be cautious when you get these, because they all smell like cake. Why I have only four, God only knows. Maybe it's because all the light pinks and reds scare me away. Who knows. All i know is, if you've been sleeping on the soft mattes and you love a light matte lip, pick one or two of these up. They're wonderful and I promise you will love them.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

One of my favourite lip products. I have two shades, Paris, and Los Angeles. Both shades on me have laste for a few hours, but they do start to wear away if I've eaten. Drinking water and things like that doesn't seem to affect the wear time. They do dry down to a matte finish after a while and it can get too dry; so I put a little bit of vaseline on my lips before application to help with that. The smell is also really good.

on 7/10/2017 8:07:00 AM

I really enjoy using these. The colour range is good. The lipstick is matte and not drying. I have dry lips but this does not exaggerate my lip lines. The only downside is that it doesn't stay long on my lips. Using a lip liner helps with the longevity. I guess I can reapply. Another point is that reapplying it doesn't make it cakey. 😊

Popular Lips Products