NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

These are some of the OG liquid lipsticks and they are still great. Some of the best in my collection. They're very mousse-y and not liquidy at all. I have the colors Havana (a dark blue/purple), Vancouver (a very dark plum), and Copenhagen (deep, vampy red). Out of these, Havana is the most difficult to build up to full opacity, and Copenhagen is the easiest to work with. Here are some of my thoughts:

+ You can't beat the price and the quality. Pick these up at Ulta during a sale.
+ Huge color range.
+ These don't dry down completely, but they have less transfer than many other liquid lipsticks I've tried, and they remain very comfortable throughout the day.
+ They all layer really nicely.
+ They smell like vanilla or cake or something. Nothing strong, but pleasant.
+ Copenhagen is GORGEOUS. One of my favorite lipsticks, both for the color and the formula.
+ I've worn these with and without a lip liner. They work fine either way, though I prefer to wear these with a clear lip liner just in case. You know how it is with dark lipsticks.

- These are not completely transfer proof, though they don't advertise themselves as such.
- Some colors are difficult to work with. Havana has a lot of potential but it will never look completely blue/purple on me. Too sheer.

I will repurchase Copenhagen, and I will be trying more colors. These are really, really great and they outperform many more expensive lipsticks, both drugstore and high end.

on 7/10/2017 8:07:00 AM

I really enjoy using these. The colour range is good. The lipstick is matte and not drying. I have dry lips but this does not exaggerate my lip lines. The only downside is that it doesn't stay long on my lips. Using a lip liner helps with the longevity. I guess I can reapply. Another point is that reapplying it doesn't make it cakey. 😊

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. I currently own four: Berlin, Budapest, Vancouver and Copenhagen. Out of the four, my favorites are listed in the order that I wrote them. The staying power on these is not the greatest because on me they are not long wearing and I have to re-apply often, but the colors are so beautiful and the matte wear is so comfortable that I will not even take off a star for that. Honestly, I HIGHLY prefer the demi-matte lip cream formula to the matte formula of a product such as say...Colourpop Ultra Matte or Wet n Wild's now discontinued Megalast Liquid Lip Colors. I simply cannot tolerate a lip that is so matte that it dries your lips out. My skin and lips are dry enough already, who has time for anything that makes it even worse? I already single-handedly keep Carmex in business.

Anyways, on to the reviews!

Berlin was my first one of these creams. In the tube it shows up as a straight deep brown, but on me (woman of color, dominant undertone yellow) it is a brown with a very rich auburn/deep red cast to it. I absolutely love Berlin and wear it often as an everyday color. I just ran out (didn't know it was possible to run out of a lip cream, but I did it) and obviously I'm going straight to Target to buy another tube.

I just purchased Budapest and I already love it. I tend to stay far away from medium pinks and mauves, but I made an exception for this one. It was between Rome and Budapest, and Budapest won. On me its a dark orchid pink, and it too looks wonderful as an everyday lip color. I've been wearing it to work a lot as it is very understated.

Vancouver. Ahhh, Vancouver. City of towering, snowcapped mountains, beautiful and spectacular ocean views, dramatic coastlines and towering evergreens, and a fitting name for one of the more dramatic lip creams in this collection. I wouldn't be who I am if I didn't love a dark, moody, damn near goth lip color, and Vancouver is absolutely perfect. As a true daughter of the 90's, I cannot resist a deep, dark, blackened purple lip. Vancouver is that color that you're afraid to wear out of the house. It's that color that you pick up and put down over and over again, countless times until you finally toss it in the cart and say, 'fuck it, i'll find someplace to wear it to." And then you find that place and you wear it. You wear it out once and you decide it isn't that bad. Then you wear it again. Before you know it you're wearing it out on dates and scaring small children at coffee shops. That, my friends, is Vancouver. A fitting name for a fitting color well worthy of the city it's named for. Vancouver probably should be my favorite (and truth be told it is, but I'm simply too lazy to go back and re-write my entire review). Either way, I do not wear this to work. If I did, I wouldn't have a job. Hell, maybe I should wear it to work.

Copenhagen is the last color I have, and it is my least favorite. I purchased this color because I was hoping it would be a medium dark purple, one that is suitable for work. Copenhagen, on me, is not a medium dark purple, but a very red toned berry color. This would be ok, but I'm not really a fan of a berry colored lip. I do not do middle of the road lip colors. I stay on one of two extremes-dark, and darker. The farthest I go into light lips is a dark mauve. Either way, Copenhagen doesn't get much, if any wear time from me.

As far as price goes, there's far more lip creams that you could do worse to buy for what these cost. $5.99 is not a lot, and since I love the demi-matte formula that all of the colors in this line share, I don't consider these to be splurges at all. A word to the smell-to me they smell awful....like some girly cake. I'm not really a girl for sweets, so maybe that's why the smell annoys me, but it is very artificial and sweet. If scents bother you, be cautious when you get these, because they all smell like cake. Why I have only four, God only knows. Maybe it's because all the light pinks and reds scare me away. Who knows. All i know is, if you've been sleeping on the soft mattes and you love a light matte lip, pick one or two of these up. They're wonderful and I promise you will love them.

on 6/27/2017 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I like these to an extent, they're comfortable to wear. The shades Monte Carlo and Budapest go well with my olive skin. However, they're not transfer proof or long lasting AT ALL and you have to keep on reapplying which is annoying. Would not repurchase

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have a couple of shades of Soft Matte Lip Cream that I like a lot, and a couple that I don't really care much for. I would repurchase a couple, but I wouldn't buy new shades since this isn't really a formula that I am in love with. It feels nice and light on the lips, but it isn't very matte. I don't really expect much in terms of long wear out of these since they aren't marketed as such, but I do wish they had a more matte finish; in reality, they're satiny both in feel and finish. For reds I like a satin finish sometimes, but I don't like the way that darker colors look on me in a non-matte formula. If you're looking for comfort or something that isn't matte, then definitely give these a go.

on 6/24/2017 3:47:00 PM

I have this product in three shades, Tokyo, Vancouver, and Transylvania. Tokyo is a very light baby pink, Vancouver is a dark purple with red undertones and Transylvania (despite it's tube colour) is a dark maroon red.

pros: Packaging is small and applicator is small enough to get some precision unlike most matte liquid lipsticks that have a long wand. It's a soft doe foot applicator and all three shades I own have pleasant vanilla-cake-scent. Hard to pinpoint the exact smell, but definitely smells like something edible and sweet. The small size makes it easier to fish out product as opposed to the long narrow tubes of most other mattes, and definitely saves room in your bag. Plus all the shades are named after places, so if you have a favourite travel destination or are from a larger city you will be able to find a shade named after that location. From a collectors stand point, the naming choice really makes me want to collect all my fave places in the world. Plus they have one of the widest selections of colours I have seen in a drugstore brand. Literally something for everyone of any skin tone.

Cons: These are marketed as matte, when really it should say semi or demi matte on the package. They never seem to dry down completely which causes some feathering, and these are definitely not transfer proof! I had the same issue with these as I did with the Revlon HD line, they wear out and become patchy after no time at all, and as a person who's job requires a lot of talking, therefore a lot of water drinking, it's not cute after 1-2 hours of wear. It will transfer onto your boyfriend, girlfriend, cups, cigarettes, kleenexs, etc. This is only really an issue with the darker shades, which is a shame due to how wide a selection these have colour wise. Also these are priced between 9$ CAD - 11$ CAD depending on where you purchase them, and there are far better liquid mattes for less. Tokyo is the only shade I have that is wearable, and unfortunately pastel pink isn't a good colour for me or my style anymore, so it rarely sees the light of day.

Verdict- Price is a bit high for quality, however colour variety saves the product. With a formula change these would be perfect, however I don't buy matte lipsticks with the intention of re-applying every other hour. Very disappointed that these were a miss for me personally.

on 6/7/2017 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

I love these so much. The color I've been wearing lately is a little off for me so I put a sparkle gloss over it and it makes it perfect. These are very comfortable and have some staying power. Definitely recommend everyone atleast try out one. ♥

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have been kinda obsessed with these for the last couple years - they are just a great wearable lipstick. I have so many shades, my favourites being Stockholm, Athens, Abu Dhabi and Cairo (all nudes). They make it look like you're not wearing lipstick but your look is somehow perfectly pulled together. They're magic, especially if you like everyday natural makeup looks. I usually wear these if I want to look natural or if I don't want too much on the lip with a smokier eye look.

The nude colours I mentioned are all fantastic for medium-fair skin tones. If you know the struggle where darker nudes (think lolita from KVD) are too dark for natural wear but nude lipsticks can often look like concealer lips on you, these are perfect. I especially love athens and stockholm, which are pinky-peach-brown nudes.

The formula is also very interesting. Not my HG formula of liquid lipstick because they aren't transfer proof and don't last as long as some other ones. Contrary to some opinions I've read before, they do actually dry down in about 5 minutes after applying, they don't stay wet all day. I also think they can be a little bit drying if you wear them 3 or more hours. But I like them because they are a mix of traditional matte lipstick and a liquid lip and the way they look on the lip is so natural and nice.

Overall, if you're beginning with liquid lipsticks and you like matte lipsticks I'd recommend giving these a go. If you're looking form something more hydrating or creamy, these won't work for you unless you wear a gloss overtop or a balm underneath.

on 5/25/2017 7:14:00 AM

I have hemmed and hawwed about trying these for a few months. So I finally picked up Abu Dhabi at my local CVS. The color is nice, I would call it a browny nude color. Regarding the product itself, eh. I have been a lipgloss person for many years, while liking lipstick preferring gloss. Now while I still like gloss I find myself migrating back towards lipstick, and have been trying out some matte ones lately. I like the look of matte and also like the feel of not having anything or barely anything on the lips. I really have no interest in trying any liquid lipsticks though, I don't like the idea of applying a product and having to wait for it to dry, I can't be bothered with it.

Well, that is kind of what this product is and I should have listened to the reviews. The texture is nice, kind of moussy but it seems like it takes forever to fully dry and when it does I feel a cakeyness. Plus, it does seem drying to me and it's not long before I just want to wipe it off. I have tried with a lipbalm and that seems better but I am not over the moon with these. I am a huge fan of NYX other lip products (butter glosses and butter lipsticks). I thought or hoped these would be a matte lipstick type of product but it is a liquid lipstick type product which is just not my thing. I will pass this on to my niece who does dig liquid lipsticks.

I will give these three stars, and attribute my opinion to the fact that I am just not a liquid lipstick person. I will stick with the butter glosses and lipsticks.

on 5/14/2017 12:40:00 AM

I have the shade Budapest and it was my first NYX product. I like it, but personally prefer the Liquid Suede or lingerie over this.

Popular Lips Products