NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream (All)

Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Dimethicone, Beeswax, Glyceryl Behenate / Eicosadioate, Phenoxyethanol, Dimethicone / Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Talc, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Silica, Aluminium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Isohexadecane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Propylene Carbonate, Parfum. May Contain: CI77019 (Mica) / CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI15850 (D&C Red 6 Na. Salt), CI15850 (D&C Red 7 Ca Lake), CI15985:1 (FD&C Yellow 6 Al Lake), CI19140:1 (FD&C Yellow 5 Al Lake), CI45410 (D&C Red 28 Al Lake), CI77491 (Iron Oxide Red), CI77492 (Iron Oxide Yellow), CI77499 (Iron Oxide Black), CI77742 (Manganese Violet), CI77891 (Titanium Dioxide)

on 11/12/2017 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I really want to like this product I really do but I on my lips there is zero staying power, which is so unfortunate because I literally like everything else about this product!

This lip cream applies SO easily, I am a novice when it comes to makeup but I have no issue lining my lips perfectly with this. The SA also told me to apply one layer first, let it dry then apply a second which I do. The colours look fantastic and it doesn't leave my lips dry at all.

But they do not stay on my lips!!! They start cracking and I can see patches after an hour, even if I've only been drinking water the colour fades. Unfortunately I will not repurchase :(

PS I have the colours San Paolo and Manila and I found the wear on them both the same.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

I would give this 4.5/5 lippies if I could, this formula is the closest to perfect liquid lipstick I've ever tried!

I have 3 shades of Nyx Soft Matte Lip Creams: Budapest, Copenhagen, and Moscow.
I'll include a general review common to the 3 shades I own, followed by particularities I experienced with different shades, as well as brief comparisons to other liquid lipsticks I own.

GENERAL REVIEW
Overall, the three of them wear very similarly. There is some noticeable fading at the inner rim after 3-4 hours if I wear them alone; however, I sometimes use a lip liner all over my lips as a base with a lot of my lipsticks b/c I try to maximize wear time (for reference, I wore with essence "satin mauve" lip liner). In conjunction with the lip liner, the wear time increases to about 7 hours on me, with almost no fading.
All shades lasted through normal eating and drinking. I noticed some transfer on my coffee cup, but little difference on my actual lips. However, I am often teased by friends/family for being a particularly dainty eater, since I tend to take small bites, so idk if that is a contributing factor.
The SMLC are very comfortable to wear. They did not dry out my lips at all (with or without lip liner). It feels like they're part of my lips and not just a weird membrane sitting on top. I felt slight dryness around the inner rim of my lips after about 6 hours of wear though. I did not notice any particular scent.

INDIVIDUAL SHADE REVIEWS
- "Budapest": pink/mauve on me. I have worn this one the most, both with and without lip liner. It performed pretty well without lip liner. I didn't notice significant fading. I wore it over lip liner one night and it lasted through eating and drinking, talking, and about 7.5 hours and I didn't need to touch up all night. A single coat gives me full coverage.
- "Copenhagen": This is a dark red with a purplish undertone on me. It is slightly patchier than the other two SMLC I have, so I apply two coats. I tried it once with lip liner and once without lip liner. Both times, unlike the other two, it had some more noticeable fading after eating. It was fine with drinking coffee though.
- "Moscow": Deep navy blue. I only wore this twice, both times with lip liner. It is a very bold colour and I needed an occasion to wear it. It lasted 6-7 hours before I touched up, and it did not bunch up at all when I applied the touch-up coat. Surprisingly, it didn't apply patchily at all, considering blue can be a tricky lipstick colour. I could get away with just one coat, but I prefer two to even out the colour, not taking any chances with something as bold as blue. Stains a bit more than the other two after removal, but a little scrub with warm water fixes that.

COMPARISONS
I like the SMLC a lot more than the Nyx Lip Lingerie. Both dry matte, but the LL has a dryer and more hard-core matte finish than the SMLC. Not that SMLC isn't matte, it truly is matte, it's just not a "flat" matte, if that makes sense? Anyways, SMLC overall lasted pretty well with food and drink, whereas LL had very noticeable fading for me after eating.
I think the finish of the SMLC is more comparable to the Too Faced Melted liquid lipsticks or the Maybelline Color Jolts.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love these! They are a long lasting lipstick that is almost like a stain, but a bit creamier.

They can be a bit patchy if you don't exfoliate your lips first, but I do with some homemade sugar scrub and they go on like butter. They are also a bit drying at the 10 hour mark, but I kind of expected this since they are a drugstore brand. I keep some rose oil handy in my purse and slather on top and it gives me a nice sheen that mixes with whatever color I have on underneath.

I have Stockholm, Zurich, and Cannes. For reference I'm about an NC20 and pretty yellow, and I also have a lot of pigment in my lips that leans blue. So it's a challenge for me to find "natural" and nude lipsticks that don't make me look like a corpse.

Stockholm is a a very warm light peachy brown that is a bit too orange for my skin tone. Someone about NC35 and darker would find this to be a lovely warm nude, however.

Zurich is what I wanted to find in Stockholm. It is a light peachy pink with just enough brown that mixes very well with my skintone and natural lip color. The lipstick is definitely full coverage but as it starts to wear down a bit and my natural lips peek through, it's a complement rather than a contrast, especially when I mix it with my rose oil.

Cannes is a darker, slightly cooler, pinkier version of Zurich that I'm fairly convinced would look good on anyone. It is such a beautiful color and I didn't have any texture or fading issues with this, which is important since it's a darker shade (and dark lipsticks can tend to bleed matter what brand you buy).

Overall I highly recommend these especially if you're trying out the matte lipstick trend and don't feel like dropping 30 bucks on one tube of lipstick. These are cruelty free, have a huge range of colors, and are very affordable. Just be sure to exfoliate your lips first and you'll be good!

on 11/8/2017 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This stuff burns my lips :( I guess because of the vanilla scent, but so far I haven't been able to use any liquid lipsticks or lip stains without a reaction. I used Stockholm and while the color is gorgeous, it dried my lips out and didn't stay looking even on me. It seems to work for some though, so maybe it's my sensitivity. I think I'll stick with semi-matte/classic solid lipsticks or moisturizing tinted lip balms. I'd rather my lips look soft and have to reapply my color.

on 8/22/2017 11:55:00 AM

I think that they are overrated, I don't get the hype. These lip creams are patchy, hard to work with, "bleed" into soft lip wrinkles, they're not long lasting, applicator is to stiff and the only good thing about them is the smell. They smell exactly like whipped cream. First I got Copenhagen and it was so bad but I thought "ok its dark color they are notorious for being patchy ok lets try with another" and than I bought Rome and Amsterdam and nothings changed. Don't waste your money.

on 9/9/2017 11:29:00 AM

I like this for everyday wear since it is smooth and silky on my lips. Only problem is it doesn't last very long unless I put a ton of lip liner. I have three and plan on purchasing again. Very good for the price.

on 8/19/2017 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I have strange relationship with these. I LOVE some of the colors, the smell is nice, they are so comfy to wear but they just are so patchy and they don't last on my lips at all. Berlin is my fav shade but the maintenance it requires it annoying. I probably will repurchase because I have no self-control.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

One of my favourite lip products. I have two shades, Paris, and Los Angeles. Both shades on me have laste for a few hours, but they do start to wear away if I've eaten. Drinking water and things like that doesn't seem to affect the wear time. They do dry down to a matte finish after a while and it can get too dry; so I put a little bit of vaseline on my lips before application to help with that. The smell is also really good.

on 8/14/2017 6:13:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love the formula!! It is a matte lipstick but it DOESN'T dry out your lips! Amazing! I got the color Amsterdam and it is so much brighter than in the package! I was a little alarmed but it drys to a really pretty red color. Very bright but it could be wearable if you like that type of color. They not last like a normal liquid lipstick does. Eating will make them patchy. For the price I think that these lip creams are worth it!

LOVE THESE. I personally like a matte finish but find that every other matte lips so drying but these! It applies smoothly and the colours in the collection are REALLY nice! I personally have Budapest, Rome and Berlin and they are some of my favourite shades of all time.

Popular Lips Products