MAC Lustre in Syrup

4.4

on 8/7/2012 4:07:00 PM

Overall, as far as MAC lipsticks go I think this is a nice color for someone a little darker than me (NW15). In general, I find MAC lipsticks (and many others) to be a little drying, so I admit to being hard to please in the lipstick category. The color/texture overall was good for a MAC lipstick, but I just feel like it wasn't anything particularly wonderful...hence the 3 "middle of the road" lippies.

on 8/7/2012 2:48:00 PM

Too close to my natural lip shade that you dont really see the sahde when its applied. A touch of carmex lip balm would ahve the same affect for me and so much cheaper!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Overall a nice color but it looks a little dull on a NC15 skintone. It has a mauvey tone and would be a good MLBB shade. I would imagine this to look good on darker skin tones. Would consider this if I have tons of b2m and not sure wat to exchange for. LOL

This is a great everyday color but can be mixed for a little more 'oomph'. it gives you just a hint of color without it being overwhelming. I really like the consistency of this and isn't drying at all. I do wish that it has a little more staying but I guess that would make the lipstick a little more drying. Overall this is great and I would repurchase.

on 6/3/2012 3:26:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

Syrup is a great go-to shade for me. It is one of the first lipsticks I bought from MAC. At that time I was honestly feeling a bit nervous about lipstick in general. I agree as been previously said its a "my lips but better" type neutral. Its perfect for days that I am in a rush and want easy, yet polished. I think the pigmentation is great! It's easy to take along in your bag and touch-up without having to also fish out a mirror. All in all I love it and would definitely repurchase. :)

on 6/2/2012 6:54:00 PM

This is MY all time favorite lipstick. Perfect. Absolutely perfect!

on 5/17/2012 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I love Syrup! This is a wonderful neutral shade for everyday wear. It's a classic pink with brown. I'm NW20 and this shade is very close to my natural, pigmented lip color. It has a very creamy texture, but still can be drying, much like most MAC lipsticks are, I've found. I use lip balm underneath to help with that. I usually wear this as is, but sometimes add clear gloss on top for a different look. And, as with all MAC's lip products, it has the lovely vanilla scent. I will definitely buy again, though my MAC lipsticks tend to last a long time.

on 5/2/2012 4:34:00 PM

I LOVE this Lipstick! I was afraid of the color at first(as I am with all Lipsticks)but once I tried it I loved the way it looked with my skin tone. It feels very moisturizing on & it lasts for hours.

on 4/26/2012 10:46:00 PM

I just came home with this lipstick and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Like some others, I was looking for a basic 'go-to' lipstick with just enough pigmentation for my lips without looking too done up. I also wanted something that wasn't too pink and I could wear with browns as well. It has some purple in it, which is good because it works with my Satin Taupe and Club eyeshadow, also from MAC. I'm a big fan of the lustres because they're not too drying and you don't often need a lipgloss on top.
I think for us lighter ladies this is a great natural, "days-off" option, or a good colour for days when you want to keep the focus on your eyes. It's basically like my lips but better. I wish it had a bitttt more pigment, but that's what you get for a lustre and it was kind of what I was looking for anyway. I'll try it with a liner underneath and a few more swipes.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Syrup is a sheer, fleshy medium pink with a purple undertone. this reminds me a lot of 'Modesty' (cremesheen), but that is a little more tan.
i think Syrup is such a great and wearable colour because it combines the 'my lips but better' kind of nude (i can't wear true nudes) with a purpley pink. i tried to pair this with a pink lipgloss over the top, but i personally found that it lost its charm because this is a pink that makes you look twice, not just a true pink.
on the subject of what to pair this with; i want to bring to light a bit of a problem with this colour, that it doesn't always show up straight away on my medium pigmented lips, and i know some other ladies with more pigmentation in their lips complain about this. what i found really really helps, is to apply this lipstick to dry, naked lips and then once you've built up the colour to your liking THEN add a gloss or a balm (i like to add a clear gloss or a blue gloss to enhance the purple tone in this colour). i find that the dryer and more naked my lips are, the stronger this colour goes on.
another trick to enhancing this colour, is to wear a true nude like MAC's Myth as a base, and to apply it with a good lip brush instead of straight from the bullet.
i love this colour so much! and i must admit, the name drew me in a little too :)

Popular Lipsticks