April 24, 2014 | 1936 users online

Hair - Ardell - Red Gold Color Corrector

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by mehays

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had great results with this today. I've been "messing" with my hair recently after hating a bad highlight job. I've used several toners with no luck. My hair has been way too orange for my liking. I've used Unred many times and have not seen any difference. I mixed the red gold corrector with a heavy conditioner and left it on for 10 minutes. My hair looks like a nice, normal shade of medium blonde.

Again, I've only used this once, and it could be a fluke, but for now I'm very happy.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by mariefumi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My hair was super brassy after I tried ombre-ing it. Went over it with Loreal preference light ash brown. Still brassy, so I bought this and combined it with dark ash blonde and I finally got a nice, light brown with a ton less brassiness, so I believe it helped my hair. Will buy again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well this did a whole lot of nothing. I have naturally dark reddish brown hair that lifts well with regular hair color (no bleach), but it tends to pull very red due to my undertones. To counter this, I've been using ash colors when lifting, but thought this would give a boost, as my hair will go even more red in the weeks after a color job. Sun, heat styling, everything just makes the red come out more.

I bought the small bottle of this (instead of the packet), and I used even more droplets than recommended, because I know the red in my hair is a stubborn bitch. Instead of 15 droplets per ounce of color (or 30 for 2 oz), I used 40 for 2 ounces. In the shower, things looked promising. My ends looked more ashy and definitely less orangey.

However, imagine my surprise when I got out, towel-dried then blow-dried, and my hair was the exact same color, with the same level of red. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I only give it two lippies instead of one because it didn't do any damage. On a side note, I'm confused by the comments that the mixture was a warm color--hot pink is a cool color. It was definitely not orangey, coral, or anything in the warm tone. Turned the hair color straight up cool-toned hot pink.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by bbleu7856

I did not see the efficacy of this product. This product is supposed to tone down brassy red/gold tones when added to your hair colorant, but it actually turns the hair color gel mixture a HOT PINK ("hot" meaning the opposite of cool in color). This not what I wanted at all, and my hair indeed pulled brassy colors after using it. I am very disappointed and will never purchase this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by demeteraurion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I also think the formula has changed for this product... it now turns my dye/bleach a bright pink color which not COOL toned and I don't see what it would do for brassiness. The drops are more of a pinky purple rather than a blue based violet. These seem to do nothing if not hinder my hair dye color. It seems to work better when added to shampoo/conditioner as it doesn't pink out but I still don't notice anything but a subtle change. The UNRED drops also by Ardell are far better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2012 9:07:00 PM More reviews by summertan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is simply a violet tint that one can put in any hair product to supress brassy tones. It doesn't use a developer and doesn't deposit any dye inside the hair just lightly coats it. It is the same idea as purple shampoos and is equally ineffective for hair colors not close to white blond. Ardell makes another toner, UnRed, which is significantly more effective at supressing red tones (but not yellow). It is a true hair dye that you put in your hair formula because it requires a developer to work. Even UnRed is very temporary so my suggestion is either bleach your hair to pale yellow before coloring or use an ashy toner-dye that works with a developer to supress brassy colors.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The bottle has lasted a long time, I'll give it that. But my hair turns brassy at the drop of a hat, and I also have natural red undertones that I hate. This doesn't do a thing for it. What a waste of time, money, and effort!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2011 1:25:00 PM More reviews by channy616

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't write many reviews but I really feel a need to warn any of my platinum blonde sistahs out there to stay away from this stuff like it's the plague! As a previous reviewer said, Ardell Red/Gold Corrector used to be the bomb....it would take your yellowish, brassy hair and transform it into the most beautiful shade of flaxen white blonde like it was magic. However, they have DEFINITELY changed their formula, and consider yourself warned that your hair will now turn a hideous shade of pinkish orange that will take you at least five shampoos (possibly more) to rid yourself of. They need to drop the "Corrector" from the name and just rename it "Red/Gold Drops" because that's basically what it is now. I know it's not just an off-batch because I have been purchasing this and re-purchasing this for about six months because I had such extreme cognitive dissonance as to the new formula now sucking so much :-( I just didn't want to believe it.....but, alas, every time I re-tried it I kicked myself for being such a crazy idiot who was so quick to forgive and forget...... and dutifully hopped back on the shampoo train for another afternoon of trying get the damn stuff out! I have officially banned myself.....no more tries and never again.

If anybody has found a good substitute.....either drops or a conditioner. I'm on a no-poo so I can't use a purple shampoo (but if you're not, I super highly recommend Swcharzkopf Silver Lights shampoo for a beautiful, flawless white blonde every time).

What a bummer!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by Lola0

Well...i tried it, and i wasn't expecting SUPER GREAT results since i only spent 1 dollar on it, so...
You see my natural hair is light blonde, but i made the stupidity of dying it black. I grew tired of it after 5 months and i wanted my light hair back, so i bleached it an it got quite brassy, and by saying brassy i mean BRASSY! Anyways, after that i dyed it light ash blonde and i put this red/gold color corrector and well i don't know if it was the hair dye or this corrector but my hair is brass-free right now. So i guess it kinda helped a little...

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2011 4:05:00 PM More reviews by hayleyprivitt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for about 5 years and have always had a platinum effect when using it with a bleaching kit. I purchased the product yesterday and the packaging has changed from the last time I used it about five months ago. Additionally, the chemical reaction in the bleach usually causes a lavendar color, however now it is a pick, orange color. I was pretty upset when rinsing the bleach out to discover that the hair was bright orange and yellow and the corrector had failed to correct the red or gold at all. Has anyone else noticed a change in this product since the packaging changed from a clear vial package to a slim purple envelope????