October 2, 2014 | 1135 users online

Hair - Ardell - Red Gold Color Corrector

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by MsKacey

For the first and most recent time of bleaching my own hair, I purchased this due to being told that it was a necessity in the at-home brown-to-blonde process. I mixed it in with my toner (Wella Color Charm T18 and 20 vol) a few drops a time.. and somehow between mixing and stirring lost count. I believe I had somewhere around 30 drops to one bottle of toner/2 parts developer. I said screw it, and brushed it onto my head. I couldn't help but notice it turned the mixture REALLY purple, and my new platinum hair pretty purple as well. I panicked and added a few more drops after noticed I still had a lot of gold/orange throughout my hair. At 20 minutes I was eager to wash it out, as i was scared shitless that my hair was doomed to stay purple.

It turned out pretty good, no more RED-orange in my hair and everything was balanced out due to the toner. I just have trouble differentiating if it was the toner or this that did most of the work.

You get a decent amount if you buy the bottle. Just dont make a mistake in calculating the amount of drops you need, or god forbid miscounting. Several washes later my hair is now a tiny bit brassy- but I probably used too little due to my first time jitters. I'm curious if there's anything out there that works better than this. But it does the job.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 10:14:00 AM More reviews by Sammy68

I use this every single time I dye my hair, which is approximately once a month. I add 60 drops of the Corrector to a total of 4 oz. of color: Wella Color Charm in Lightest Ash Blonde with Ion Level 10 developer to bump my light-medium brown base to a medium-dark ash blonde. I keep the color on my roots and throughout all of my hair for a total of 10 minutes. "Bumping the base" is the best way for me to achieve a medium-dark blonde base without really pulling a ton of brass. Other reviewers are correct in the fact that it does turn the dye a hot pink color, however, I'm convinced it does help tone down brass. I am very prone to pulling brassy tones whenever I lighten my hair - the banes of being blonde. The next step for me is to add this corrector to my shampoo/conditioner, because as the weeks pass by my hair will start to develop some brassy tones. I'm hoping to use this as an in-between color brass eliminator or reducer. Logically it makes sense that it would work, so I'll give it a try and add to the review later.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by gingiehanson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Okay, so I've gone around full circle from doing my own hair to salons to back to doing my own hair -- which I've vowed I'd never do again! But after watching my stylist highlight my once again healthy hair, I couldn't resist it. She did perfect the first time, then came out too gold after. So I ran back to her to fix it. NO problem. Really sweet lady. Except I wanted MORE highlights..well..I took initiative. I have level 9 blonde with pale yellow highlights. And was hoping to match that. I used blond kit clairol and highlighted myself. One problem.. came out really BRASSY. So I went back to search reviews for a brass buster. And found this Ardell red gold corrector plus..Hmm little skeptical at first but reviews sounded good overall. So next batch of highlights I put Ardell red gold in the bleach. I used a smaller portion of stage 7 lightener with activator plus powder (came together in blond kit) and amazingly, my hair is not as brassy as the first time (that's why I didn't give it 5 stars). It could have been less brassy. But also I used a small portion for a small section. Anyway, it did work, however I will try more next time. FIY I used purple shampoo Schwarzkopf Bonacure color save silver shampoo and wala. Like magic the remaining brass vanished leaving me with beautiful gorgeous pale highlighted beach blonde hair. The shampoo is my next review!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2014 2:54:00 PM More reviews by mehays

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I had great results with this today. I've been "messing" with my hair recently after hating a bad highlight job. I've used several toners with no luck. My hair has been way too orange for my liking. I've used Unred many times and have not seen any difference. I mixed the red gold corrector with a heavy conditioner and left it on for 10 minutes. My hair looks like a nice, normal shade of medium blonde.

Again, I've only used this once, and it could be a fluke, but for now I'm very happy.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by mariefumi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My hair was super brassy after I tried ombre-ing it. Went over it with Loreal preference light ash brown. Still brassy, so I bought this and combined it with dark ash blonde and I finally got a nice, light brown with a ton less brassiness, so I believe it helped my hair. Will buy again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 12:18:00 AM More reviews by MiaGator

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well this did a whole lot of nothing. I have naturally dark reddish brown hair that lifts well with regular hair color (no bleach), but it tends to pull very red due to my undertones. To counter this, I've been using ash colors when lifting, but thought this would give a boost, as my hair will go even more red in the weeks after a color job. Sun, heat styling, everything just makes the red come out more.

I bought the small bottle of this (instead of the packet), and I used even more droplets than recommended, because I know the red in my hair is a stubborn bitch. Instead of 15 droplets per ounce of color (or 30 for 2 oz), I used 40 for 2 ounces. In the shower, things looked promising. My ends looked more ashy and definitely less orangey.

However, imagine my surprise when I got out, towel-dried then blow-dried, and my hair was the exact same color, with the same level of red. Oh well, it was worth a shot. I only give it two lippies instead of one because it didn't do any damage. On a side note, I'm confused by the comments that the mixture was a warm color--hot pink is a cool color. It was definitely not orangey, coral, or anything in the warm tone. Turned the hair color straight up cool-toned hot pink.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/10/2012 4:46:00 PM More reviews by bbleu7856

I did not see the efficacy of this product. This product is supposed to tone down brassy red/gold tones when added to your hair colorant, but it actually turns the hair color gel mixture a HOT PINK ("hot" meaning the opposite of cool in color). This not what I wanted at all, and my hair indeed pulled brassy colors after using it. I am very disappointed and will never purchase this again.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2012 9:19:00 PM More reviews by demeteraurion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I also think the formula has changed for this product... it now turns my dye/bleach a bright pink color which not COOL toned and I don't see what it would do for brassiness. The drops are more of a pinky purple rather than a blue based violet. These seem to do nothing if not hinder my hair dye color. It seems to work better when added to shampoo/conditioner as it doesn't pink out but I still don't notice anything but a subtle change. The UNRED drops also by Ardell are far better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2012 9:07:00 PM More reviews by summertan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is simply a violet tint that one can put in any hair product to supress brassy tones. It doesn't use a developer and doesn't deposit any dye inside the hair just lightly coats it. It is the same idea as purple shampoos and is equally ineffective for hair colors not close to white blond. Ardell makes another toner, UnRed, which is significantly more effective at supressing red tones (but not yellow). It is a true hair dye that you put in your hair formula because it requires a developer to work. Even UnRed is very temporary so my suggestion is either bleach your hair to pale yellow before coloring or use an ashy toner-dye that works with a developer to supress brassy colors.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2011 12:16:00 AM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The bottle has lasted a long time, I'll give it that. But my hair turns brassy at the drop of a hat, and I also have natural red undertones that I hate. This doesn't do a thing for it. What a waste of time, money, and effort!