Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

4.2

on 1/23/2015 6:39:00 PM

I can't get TF private collection where I live, and even if I did, I can't afford it. I was in Charleston this past week and happened upon a lovely cosmetics boutique that carried this line.

I love tobacco and I love vanilla so I made a beeline for this scent. The lovely SA gave me a generous sample. As someone mentioned, this is a sweet, lovely pipe tobacco scent. Others have already gone through the rest of the ingredients so I won't repeat that part. All in all, this is not my beloved Serge Lutens, but I do like it. I took one lippie off because the staying power is not the best (on me, anyway) and for the price I expect much more. I said I would not repurchase because it' s too expensive for me to even purchase it once, let alone several times.

If you are tired of the same old same old flowery, fruity, syrupy stuff that doesn't seem to go out of fashion (more's the pity), want to try something different, and money is not an issue, you might want to explore this. And I'd advise you to hurry before the anti-tobacco Gestapo goose-steps in and bans the use of this scent. "For our good," as per tyranny' s habitual excuse.

on 1/21/2015 12:31:00 PM

Two star meritorious, and would appeal to main stream taste and niche wallets, but i wouldn't reach for this sweet, simple fragrance often. However, if SL Chergui is too spice laden or SL Fumerie Turque is too busy, fusty, murky, powdery for you, this has possibilities. I would also suggest, as a bargain alternative, Avon. Perle Noire (not because they are similarly noted, but they have the same uncontroversial pleasantness.

In my mind TB is an apres ski lodge fragrance (and I don't ski), not merely a wintery fragrance. In that limited Apres ski sense, I would pick SL Filles et Aguill instead, a more versatile pine fragrance. For a more versatile fragrance more people think of as wintery, I would recommend Malles Eau de Hiver. Positives are that TB is not powdery, not artificial candied or plastic.

This opens on my skin as modern sweet scent strongly flavored with clove pipe tobacco and vanilla tinged with cherry. It does not change in dry down. But, it's not enough for me to buy a larger decant much less a bottle.

However, I am not a gourmand fan or a Tom ford fragrance fan; the only Tom ford I would like to try is the discontinued Velvet Gardenia.

My favorite tobacco smokey fragrances are: original Vintage Tabac Blond extrait; L'Artesan. Tea for Two; and, if I wanted a more complex, albeit also sweet, tobacco, an older version of Lutens Fumerie Turque. If I wanted a clove carnation, Floris Malmaison, EL Spellbound; Mitsouko extrait; If I want vanilla, it's usually vaguely orientalish in guerlainade or lutens.

on 1/2/2015 12:10:00 PM

Well well, this was my first dive into a high end fragrance and I think I am in love. I am by no means well spoken with describing scents in depth like some of you wonderful folks are so about the only thing I can say is this deliciousness is like sex in a bottle; gorgeous, smoky, deep and warm. I picture snow topped roofs with fireplaces billowing, fuzzy sweaters and curled up with a book and hot cocoa lol. Definately not a summer scent by any means.When I first starting researching Tobacco Vanille my thought was "Tobacco? yuck... I don't smoke why would I like this at all!" But it's not anything you would expect; the tobacco is more of a spice (to my nose) which lasts about an hour on me and then dries down to this lucious powdery vanilla. My husband surprised me with the large bottle for Christmas and I can't wait to wear it because I find myself sniffing my arm all day; he loves it on me too. It also has the best staying power of any fragrance I have ever owned; 12hrs later and I can still smell it.

on 6/29/2014 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

If you are looking for an unconventional, rich and opulent warm scent, try tobacco vanille. It is a strong perfume that has both silliage and lasting power. Starting out, TV is a rich pipe tobacco and honey. As it sits on my skin, both of those remain and it becomes more honeyed; not sickly sweet honey however. The vanilla note is there, but it is not on my skin anything like the vanilla that you'd typically find in common fragrances. TV's vanilla is subtle, gourmand, not at all cloying, not sweet, not anything like any vanilla body spray at the mall. A few years back we were on vacation in Deadwood, South Dakota. There is a tobacco shop there in Deadwood, where you can buy all sorts of fancy cigars and tobaccos. TV reminds me of the robust, warm scent of that store, a honeyed pipe tobacco at its finest. Think of expertly maintained deep cherry wood antique chairs with rich burgundy brocade seat pads, in a room with earthy dark brown and burgundy colors, a fireplace with simmering embers, and hardwood cherry wood flooring; that would be TV in décor.

on 3/21/2014 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

Earth-shatteringly beautiful. As a vanilla/gourmand devotee who is trying to build a more serious fragrance collection, some of the higher end fragrance houses can be intimidating. Tobacco Vanille seemed palatable enough so I procured it as a blind-buy. Upon initial spray, I was mystified. Swirls of earthy expensive cigar smoke woven with vanilla cream and kissed with spice. I couldn't take my nose from my wrist. With time, the scent evolved, becoming more robust and sweet, like a beautifully blended whiskey and a splash of Coke with a glossy, honeyed finish. Tobacco Vanille is simultaneously inviting and bold. I think I would loving smelling this on my SO just as much as I love wearing it. The longevity is just right and the scent screams sophistication and opulence in a sublimely androgynous way.

on 7/28/2013 8:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Tom Ford Private Blends line is really interesting although too expensive. Found some of them fairly inadequate to be honest. I have tried Santal Blush (rich, spicy sandalwood), Noir de Noir (dark boozy rose liquor and tuber), Neroli Portofino (fresh summery orange blossom and bergamot), Black Violet (heavy masculine violet with lots of fruity notes and oakmoss), Cafe Rose (interesting semi-dry rose with hints of coffee), Lys Fume (spiced lily), Amber Absolute (sensual thick incense-y amber), Jasmin Rouge (true, warm jasmine), White Suede (suede and musk, a vintage-like skin/ leathery scent), Oud Wood (heavy oud and rosewood, more masculine than feminine), Tuscan Leather (smells exactly like a new leather accessory, I don't find it wearable personally), Urban Musk (slightly dirty, animalic musk), Champaca Absolute (now, that's weird, unusual ''dirty'' salty floral) and Tobacco Vanille so far.

Sure it's not ultra complex but has layers that unfold harmoniously, great sillage and longevity, you can certainy tell it's creative in it's simplicity and high quality.

The opening is mostly about dried tobacco leaves and a good amount of cloves. The vanilla becomes more prominent as it dries down and the cacao makes me think of freshly baked brownies but in a very abstract way. Since the woody notes are there as well I wouldn't say it smells edible at all, so don't worry about smelling like a desert.

I think a man can wear it easily; yes, it is sweet but not syrupy, with this amount the tobacco in the opening and the woods in the drydown it can't be a girly perfume really.

Overall I'm very pleased to have Tobacco Vanille in my collection since it's an unusual perfume with bold presence, major compliment getter and satisfies my tobacco cravings - no I'm not a smoker, just appreciate the scent - but seems to be a hit-or-miss as well so try before you buy.

on 4/25/2013 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium

I love this perfume, and so does my boyfriend (who has never worn perfume or body spray in his life). It is a very sexy, spicy perfume. It starts of smelling strongly of tobacco, cinnamon and cloves, then settles to a nice smoky vanilla scent. It is very strong and lasts well on my skin. I only need one spritz, but I usually do two or three. The packaging is also lovely, however the black heavy bottle may not appeal to everyone.

If you like rich, spicy or boozy scents with vanilla and spices, you will love this.

on 1/15/2013 11:34:00 AM

This is my new favorite cold weather scent, I suspect that it is not really suited for the heat. This opens with a blast of tobacco, honey and a dash of cocoa. Overtime the cocoa fades and leaves you with a blend of cherry pipe tobacco and warm, sensual vanilla. It is a unisex and that's evidenced by the fact that my boyfriend loves the smell on me and likes to spritz some on himself as well. This is a very warm, comforting smell that makes me think of cozy sweaters by the fireplace. This differs from some of TF's other traditionally masculine notes (like in Tuscan Leather) that only very confident women wear and forces you to go out. The price tag is the only thing preventing me from buying a bottle(I have lots of samples!) and I've sought out replacements like Spicebomb and L'occitane's Eau Des Baux but nothing matches this one. Longevity is very nice, I can usually smell it 6 hours later.

on 12/31/2012 5:11:00 PM

Major disappointment! When I tried this at NM it was wonderful but they were out of it, so they gave me a mighty hefty sample. It continued to be wonderful, then, ok, then: BAD and I mean horrible. It was actually overwhelming with the vanilla, this vanilla smells like something you cook with not a good expensive aroma, the tobacco is underwhelming. It took me a shower and rubbing alcahol to get this garbage off of me and still I could smell it. There are fragfances out there that have a 'cult' following that it seems are because of the designer or the price but not NOT on merit and this is one of them. An overrated fragrance at best...I've never smelled anything from the five and dime but I'm guessing they would come out like this. Disgusting!

on 12/31/2012 12:53:00 PM

This is a very interesting one. A unisex gourmand scent with an amazing staying power, which, true to its name, smells exactly like a blend of tobacco and vanilla. However, after a while I notice that it also smells a lot like cocoa. I love it, it stays on for ages without using a lot, and it's not overpowering! Why is it so freaking expensive?!

Popular Fragrances