September 16, 2014 | 1744 users online

Shampoo - Palmer's - Olive Oil Formula Smoothing Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2014 6:55:00 AM More reviews by egilsdottir

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Palmer's Olive Oil shampoo and conditioner are both on my list of top drugstore beauty products.

I'm growing my hair out, and am very picky about the products I use on it. My hair is naturally straight, fine and is color-treated every 8 weeks.

I tried this shampoo and the matching conditioner on a whim, and was very impressed with the results. My hair was soft, bouncy and shiny.

This is not a shampoo that I would use every day, because of buildup. I have a whole arsenal of shampoos and conditioners that I alternate to avoid buildup/product fatigue. I use this shampoo whenever it looks like my hair is getting too dry and/or frizzy. I'd absolutely recommend this shampoo and the matching conditioner to anyone - I think it would work on just about any hair type.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 8:36:00 PM More reviews by GMJAG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was quite skeptical about buying this shampoo to be honest. I recently had a new hairdresser cutting my hair and she recommended this shampoo to me. It was under $5 at Wal-Mart and OMG . Its amazing. Let me just add, I have fine hair, but a lot of it. It's very easily damaged and I am not ethnic. Surprisingly, this didn't weigh my hair down, it lathers well, the smell isn't the best but it makes my hair look nice so I have no complaints. Out of dozens of shampoos ranging from the cheapest of the cheap to super expensive ones, this is my favorite and I will continue to buy it. I have long hair and normally, I have an unbearable amount of split ends despite the fact that I rarely use heat on my hair. I think this product has had a part in keeping my hair moisturized and in better condition during these dry cold winter months. I will continue using this product and when pool season comes around I hope this product will continue to save my hair! Totally recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by alovelispell

This is my favorite shampoo of all time. I have naturally curly hair and this shampoo and conditioner softens abs defrizzes it like no other. It's definitely a holy grail for this curly girl.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 8:48:00 AM More reviews by gxnxsissss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's a lovely olive scent, a gel like formula but not jello like. It's green too which I find adorable lol & so is the cabellina shampoo I mention.

LOL NEXT

I've done everything too my hair. Bleach. Heat. Dye. Bad haircuts & I'm nourishing it back to health. My hair IS relaxed, but I'm Puerto Rican/Dominican. Naturally silky. Fried now. This is crucial! First I wash my hair with my cabellina rosemary chili shampoo, then this. This leaves my hair smooth, soft, silky, just amazing (all still in the shower). I honestly do recommend this, it leaves your hair light, bouncy, clean & silky. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 11/14/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by NicoleTMY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this as it said to remove product build up and I hoped it would cleanse my scalp. It was just okay and my scalp felt itchy sometimes after use. I would not buy this again

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2013 6:21:00 PM More reviews by lilshaxter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this shampoo and conditioner for about a year now.
I'll give you a brief history on what I did to my hair. You can skip this if you want, but if you have the same symptoms that I describe then you may want to keep reading. I am of Middle Eastern descent and so I have wavy black hair that can sometimes get frizzy. I had bleached a good portion of my hair and so my ends were dry and frizzled even though I used treatments. I had then dyed my hair black twice to get my original hair colour. My hair did not like this at all. My ends were super dry even with product and my hair was breaking. A lot of it fell out. I then tried an organic shampoo because I figured my hair had enough of the chemicals. Bad idea. I tried the organix shampoo and I think my scalp had an allergic reaction to it. It was so itchy. So on top of all the other things, my scalp felt like it had fire ants in it whenever I washed it.
Then my friend recommended the nourishing properties of olive oil.
I purchased the Palmers brand at first (thank God because I tried the Organix olive oil conditioner later on and I found it lacking).
I didn't notice much of a change initially except that my scalp didn't burn, which was probably because I stopped using the other shampoo. I got a hair cut and using this shampoo over time made my hair look so much better than it did before I bleached it. It was light, shiny, and a little more voluminous. I don't have thin hair but it didn't weigh it down nor make it poofy. Of course I used this in conjunction with the conditioner, but I also deep conditioned my hair about 1x every 1-2 weeks.
I love this shampoo. It makes my hair look healthy, lathers well, and actually cleans my hair. I wash my hair about every 3 or 4 days. I've tried other shampoos wherein I've had to wash my hair the next day - such a bother.
Because I don't wash my hair that often, the shampoo ended up lasting me quite a while. Even so, at $10 a bottle, I wouldn't say it's the cheapest. Also, a note for Canadian guys and gals is that I can only find this at Walmart and haven't seen it on sale or else I'd stock up. I've checked Shoppers, grocery stores, beauty supply outlet, Rexall and none of them carry this brand.
The packaging is green and although it's not the cutest, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm not wasting product.
One thing that people might consider a con is the smell. I personally don't mind it. It smells like a clean plant. However, when my sister smells my hair she can't stand it. My advice is to open the lid and take a whiff before you purchase it, in case it's something that really bothers you.
Overall, I'm super happy with this product and will continue repurchasing because it hasn't failed me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 12:08:00 PM More reviews by elfriede

I was looking for a shampoo that was gentle, had some good oil in it (my discontinued favorite had avocado oil), and was free of sulfates and silicones. I have Caucasian hair that is wavy and very frizzy. Sulfates = poofy-fried-witchy-poo hair. Silicones = greasy hair and scalp zits. This is working out well. The first day I noticed some improvement, and my hair is softer, shinier, and stronger than it was a month ago. At first I thought it left my scalp too oily, but so far, no zits--my scalp feels healthy. Not loving the scent, but it is light and clean, and doesn't linger much.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2013 12:12:00 AM More reviews by ChloeYoung

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pretty decent shampoo for dry hair. Foams very well and the scent is not so chemical. Not sure if it is organic or not, I am almost through a bottle and my hair seems to like it. But I won't repurchase for a while because the olive oil formula may be too oily for higher temperature

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 9:39:00 AM More reviews by rborsich

I love this shampoo. Finally a product that is actually moisturizing my hair, instead of drying it out while claiming to be "hydrating." After just one wash my hair came out more smooth and more manageable.

The packaging isn't as "cool" looking as bigger brands, but it isn't bad and I have no complaints about the functionality of the design. I do get some odd looks when I am buying it, as in the stores around me it is sold in the "Ethnic Hair Care" section, even though it is definitely good for more than just ethnic hair types.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 1:03:00 AM More reviews by lynowens

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Omg i love this thing over here! i recently bleached the hell out of my hair ends, and was on the verge of snipping them away until I chanced upon this at my local drugstore.

Smells amazing, and my hair feels softer and smoother instantly after a wash! Definitely has made it much more manageable and when I run my hands through my hair, I can't really differentiate between the bleached ends and my normal hair. MAD LOVE. so recommending to people, and so getting this over and over again