Clairol Professional - 7th Stage Cream Highlighter

4.4

on 5/21/2015 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

****I am naturally dark ash blonde. Using my method, I am able to obtain very pale yellow-y blonde hair.****

I've been all over the map with trying to find the most effective, least damaging way to lighten my hair over the past 10 years. I think this is as good as it gets. However, I have some additional tips for using this product that the label won't mention to consumers.

It does not matter what brand of developer you use. Clairol suggests using a Clairol developer "specifically designed" for this lightener. However that is not true, as developers all work the same.

What you really need to be looking at when choosing a developer is not the brand, but the volume and inactive ingredients. I go for Blond Brilliance's line because it has some moisturizing properties, but there are plenty to choose from. As for volume - I use a level 5. That is the lowest on the market and currently only Blond Brilliance offers it at Sally Beauty Supply. Here's to hoping other companies get on board with this. My natural hair color is pretty dark compared to the result I get. So if I can use such a low volume...most of you can too. There is NO reason to use a 30,40,50 volume. The higher the volume of developer - the more damage you'll be creating. Higher volume = higher percentage of peroxide. For those of you claiming you'll get no results...at least try it before knocking it. I didn't think I could get my hair to almost white with this low of a peroxide %...but I do with ease.

Moving forward, here is a BIG tip to preventing damage and using less product. I heat up coconut oil then soak my roots in it 2-3 hours before root touch up. I do not wash it out. Sometimes the coconut oil hardens up at room temperature so I blow dry it and it softens back to a liquid. The coconut oil temporarily bonds to the protein in your hair, protecting it from chemical damage. It won't work as well as Olaplex, and it won't stop ALL damage from happening, but this has made a HUGE impact on the quality of my hair. I used to use about 3 bottles of Clairol 7th Stage Lightener. Which was excessive, but it was hard to fully saturate the roots. I now use about 1/2 a bottle. That is insane to me. And I have a big alien head.

I divide my hair into sections so I'm only applying to virgin roots. I do not want to overlap already bleached parts, but sometimes...its a mess. I guess this is why a lot of people opt for powder lighteners. I however, find them to be way too drying and harder to wash out so there's extra damage in the result. I'll be sticking to this.

Edit: Noticed I didn't mention something important. Bleaching is SUPPOSED to turn your hair to a brassy shade. You should not be getting fully white hair, and if you are - I'd be concerned about the health of it. What you want is to get to a yellow shade. If it's orange-y, process again for a much shorter amount of time until you get the shade of butter. TONER is what will get you an ashy shade. Sally Beauty Supply has a ton of options. If your hair is orange-y and you don't want to go lighter - opt for a blue toner to cancel out the orange. If your hair is yellow - opt for a purple toner. DO NOT THINK YOU ARE SMARTER THAN THE SYSTEM. Using purple on orange-y hair won't do ANYTHING effective and using blue toner on yellow hair can give it a green tint. :\

on 9/15/2014 8:44:00 PM

Wow this product is ridiculously good! So here is my hair background: Level 3-4 naturally, I bleached my hair last month ( it was back to it's normal color with a bit of medium golden brown dye still lingering in mid lengths to ends ) I used ion oil based bleaching kit first.. Red hair, then loreal quick blue, still red then loreal quick blue again light orange yellow finally then two bottles of wella toner t14 two different times and my hair was finally yellowish and light. ( I know it's bad but I did this over 5 days time). I used shimmer lights and my hair was passable. It was a light golden blonde, but very flat in color, so I then used clairol natural instincts in medium golden blonde to darken it a tad and make it more natural then I used bleach to highlight small strands all over and it was finally lovely. Sadly after all that my roots are now an inch of dark dark brown all over so I decided to try this based on the reviews. First off it didn't burn, but it smelled horrid, to be expected though, it's bleach. I did my roots and had my husband help me with the back 30 minutes later I rinsed and holy moly it was soooo pale blonde I was shocked!!! I expected some red orange or yellow tones and had bought toner to remedy that but no, it's nearly platinum, I actually have to dye it darker blonde to blend it with my hair. Wow, I will always use this for bleaching my super dark hair now!! I will just have to shorten the time next time I process it!! So in love with how effective this was, versus the 3 other products I had to use three times to get barely close to this color initially!

on 4/14/2014 2:10:00 PM

I have been using this product for over a year since Born Blonde was discontinued and it gets me almost to my desired results. I use this with 2 activator packs and 40 cream volumizer. It's hard to tell how much it has lifted because of the blue-ish purple color, so sometimes I feel that I rinse it out too early. On a few occasions, it has left my hair a little more golden than I was hoping, so I wait a few days and mix a 12N color with 40 volume and leave that on for only a few minutes to those areas.

on 1/9/2014 10:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

It's pretty good i like it. It works with my black hair quickly. It's great for my roots. Only thing I don't like about it is it smells bad.Otherwise it's a great product.

on 4/30/2013 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a great lightener....I always mix mine with 40 volume CLEAR developer and 2 packets of the Clairol 7th Stahe lightening activator.....this is great if you're trying to go from a dark hair color to a pale blonde.....works better than most powder lighteners......I highly recommend it!!!!! Use a good blonde toner after!

on 11/19/2012 1:21:00 AM

Best on the scalp lightener available! The 7th Stage Double Drabber is the only one to use. This is my staple product for maintaining my platinum hair. It's such a shame they discontinued the blue-violet toner that went with this because it gave perfect results every time. The only toner readily available to use with it is Wella White Lady (T18) which is ok but harder to get perfect results. Anyway, I love this product and have used it to do my own hair for well over a decade. In the past couple years I became unable to do my own hair and was forced to go to a salon. The salon charges a grossly inflated price of upwards of $130 just for root touch up and results are no where near to my standards. I will be recruiting someone to help me and will be going back to doing my own hair for a fraction of the salon price. Play around with this product, the lightening activator packets, and with developer volume and you will get good results. I pray this never gets discontinued.

This worked like a dream. I had level 7 auburn hair, almost to my waist, that I had been coloring with demi permanent colors over my natural blah blonde. I mixed up a batch of this stuff with 3 activator packets & 20 volume developer and left it on for about 30 minutes under a plastic shower cap. Then I mixed up another batch and added it to my roots for another 30 minutes under the shower cap. Presto chango my hair was the color of a banana. It worked perfectly. My hair did feel dry, but not overly damaged. I definitely recommend getting enough supplies for two batches if your hair is past your shoulder blades. I only got my second batch in case I needed to bleach twice, but I ended up using it. I also added 2 tablespoons of olive oil to it and still used every last drop. Luckily it bleaches so well I only needed to do it once.

I've used the now discontinued Wella Creme oil bleach kit which was ultimately too gentle to get my hair to the pale yellow stage and Wella Wellite with 20 and 30 volume developer and it just didn't life like 7th stage does. My natural hair color is about a level 6-7 strawberry blond and I use three packets of activator along with 20 volume developer and leave the bleach on my roots under a plastic cap anywhere from 30-45 minutes. I use heat, usually until my arm gets super tired from maneuvering the blow-dryer around my head.

I tone with wella white lady toner and bam I'm done! I really love having platinum hair and it just got too expensive to maintain going to a salon and I was never happy with the results (I usually had to sit through multiple bleachings because they never got it right the first time!) but now I can do my own hair for dirt cheap and have it come out wonderfully! Now if only getting the back of my head weren't such a challenge!

on 12/21/2011 10:32:00 PM

I have tried this product twice and am not sure what I am doing wrong. I want to achieve a light blond color but instead I'm getting a yellow orange color. I am new to this, but read so many great reviews, decided to try it. I have natural medium brown hair with blond highlights. It is getting expensive to maintain so I decided to try to do it myself. My roots are growing in fast and I want to go all blond. I am only doing patch tests until I can get it right. I tried using a 20 developer with 3 activators for an hour and then I mixed half 20 and half 30 (which equals 25 volume) with 3 activators for an hour. Both gave me same results bright yellow orange hair! I put a toner on for 15 minutes which darkened it to a strawberry blond. I am afraid of using a 40v but am thinking about trying a 30v next. Anyone have any suggestions? Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Am I not leaving it in long enough? Am I leaving the toner in too long? Do I even need a toner? Someone please help!

on 8/24/2011 2:01:00 AM

First I'd like to say that hair that is already dyed a dark color is hard to lift, obviously. I have stubborn black Asian hair, so this product was pretty amazing. A section of my hair is already bleached blonde (which I dye purple), so using this product on my roots was awesome! When I use box bleach from the store, it makes my natural black roots turn into a cheesy orange color. With this product I used 3 activator packets and 20 volume developer (the creme). My roots became a golden blonde while it turned the rest of my already bleached hair a nice light blonde. I definitely recommend this product to people who know what they are doing because it saves you a trip to the salon and a lot of money!

Popular Hair Color Products