Sun-In - Highlighting Spray

3.6

Water, Hydrogen Peroxide, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Lemon Juice, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Hydroxyethyl Cetyldimonium Phosphate, Dimethicone PEG-7 Phosphate, Glycerin, Quaternium-80, Panthenol, Silk Amino Acids, Polysorbate 20, Fragrance, Benzoic Acid, Disodium EDTA.

on 7/28/2015 5:14:00 PM

I have dark brown almost black hair and I have been using sun in for years with almost no hair nightmares! Every summer I spray my hair lightly with the product and results vary from a golden bronzy color to more of a reddish color. It can get brassy but that is only if too much product is being used. A few summers ago i sprayed too much and was left with a red orange color for a few months, but it eventually grew out/ faded into pretty highlights. sun in leaves my hair soft and moisturized. Do not listen to the people who swear against using this on dark brown hair, or those who say it damages it!

on 5/13/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Personally, I love this product. From what I've gathered, this is probably because I'm naturally blonde. Since my roots come in darker during the winter, I love to use this during spring/summer to lighten my roots. I see a significant lighter color after one use! I can't afford to pay for salon highlights, so this is definitely an affordable way to touch up already blonde hair. It makes some already bright blonde strands almost platinum and keeps the depths of my hair since it's always been darker on the bottom layer. I would definitely recommend this product to other blondes, but those with darker hair should beware of possible brassiness or orange color. This product can be difficult to find-I always find it hidden within other hair products in drug stores.

on 4/18/2015 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

i have really mixed feelings about sun-in so i'm going to rate it based on pros and cons. for background, i am a natural blonde and my hair has gotten brassier and brassier as i've gotten older so i bought this to try to make my hair super blonde over the summer.

pros:
i really love the smell!
it is pretty inexpensive.
it definitely makes your hair blonder and didn't give me any orange or brassy tones at all. i use this at the beach and at the pool--what i usually do is wet my hair, spray this in, lay in the sun until my hair is dry. then i get in the water for a while and when i get out, i spray this in my wet hair again and let it dry in the sun once more. i tend to see my hair get noticeably lighter with every 2-3 uses. after using a bottle of sun-in, my hair was SO much blonder and i was really happy with the color. you can go many shades lighter using this; i started out as a dirty/brassy blonde and ended up being really golden with some highlights that were almost platinum.

cons:
you have to already be blonde (i believe you have to be naturally blonde as well). this will not lighten dark hair, it will just bleach dark hair orange--even if you have light brown hair, you cannot use this! my cousin used to be blonder than me, and over a few years her hair became a light brown with blonde highlights. she thought that she could use sun-in to make herself blonde again, but using it ruined her hair and had to have it dyed back in a salon.
you HAVE to be in the sun for this to work. the bottle says that you can use a blow dryer, but i have tried this several times and never noticed any changes in my hair at all.
it is damaging to your hair. this is to be expected since it has peroxide in it. i have always had naturally soft, smooth hair. but after i finished my first bottle of sun-in, my hair has never been the same. my hair is now much more dry and i have a lot more split ends. for me the trade off is worth it; i am going to use another bottle of sun-in this summer, but i'm also going to use more damage repair products and deep conditioner on my hair (in the past i never really used any products on my hair).

on 2/18/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I like this product, but it isn't for everyone.
As a child I had super light blonde hair that kept getting darker as I got older. I use this a few times every couple months to keep my hair bright and blonde.
it does turn my hair kind of brassy (nothing that can't be fixed), not a pure platinum blonde. so I use a toner and purple shampoo for blondes which helps.
this product doesnt smell too bad and I think it works better than the john frieda spray.
it works well for me and does its job. I've repurchased it numerous times and my hair is perfectly fine, but I use a lot of leave-in treatments and hair masks.
since my hair is already blonde I dont get streaks or blotches. if you hair is dark and you try this it might not blend as well. I do have to use it two or three times each session to get it to the desired color, but i can go two months between sessions.

if you have dark hair, do not buy this.
this product only does well for me because i have blonde hair to begin with. this brightens it up and makes it lighter.

on 11/25/2014 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is one of those products that works great for a specific segment of people who have maybe light brown or lighter hair to start with. My hair has a lot of natural variation from dark blonde to light brown with even some silver strands mixed in. Sun In works very well to just boost my natural highlights a little bit. I use it with a blow dryer once every 3 or 4 months. Not often enough to affect my hair's condition or turn it orange. Just enough to maintain it's subtle highlights. It is easy to use and inexpensive. A keeper for me.

on 10/7/2014 3:23:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

For a l-ong time I really wanted to use this it is not easy to find, but I finally found it at a Hannaford.
I used this once when my hair was dyed red to bring out some copper highlights and once when my hair was brunette. It did not do a thing! ! From a formulaty standpoint it should have done something since it has hydrogen peroxide, and lemon juice. The hydrogen peroxide can only do so much since it's not an active ingredient,yet it's not like small amounts can't lighten hair to an extent.Lemon juice can lighten hair depending on how it's used but it usually requires heat which is what this product recommends,and the chamomile and calendula ingredients can impact colors ,but it's a hit or miss and the payoff is ususlly tiny.
This has silk AA's but since they arent hydrolized they wont penetrate your hair or anything. If your hair is dry and u wanna keep it moisturized your gonna have to add a leave in conditioner. Because the only thing that can function like an emollient in here is the panthenol,linseed extract, silicone and glycerin.
I tried using it for a week each morning and going in the sun,but maybe I'll try blowdrying it next time.
I found this to smell like cinnamon, but that went away within 5-10 minutes.
If you have dark brown or black hair and use a lot of this, or use this everyday be careful,because,it can turn an unexpectantly orange color.

i have natural light blonde hair, probably about level 9. sometimes the underneath of my hair is a little darker so I use this with a hair dryer to help lighten it. it works for me. but like I said I have naturally super light blonde hair. so if you have anything darker I would not advise using this. it does dry out your hair a little, nothing crazy.

on 9/29/2014 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

No way! Back in the day, before we "knew better" kids/teens would use this for a "quick fix" for highlights. I do NOT recommend this super-drying, oxidizing product. (Peroxide based - at least back in the old days.)
If you want uber-brassy or orange faux-lights - then go right ahead - but I promise you, this is a BAD MOVE.

Don't buy it, don't try it.

Horrid!

on 5/16/2014 2:47:00 PM

I have dyed blonde hair, haven't seen my natural color in 20 years but what I remember of it, it was dark blonde/light brown. I have damaged hair below shoulder length but I love the color so I don't want to fry it any more than I have to. I also can't afford to go to the salon for my roots! So, every so often, I spray the sun in a lot on my roots and then all over my hair. I blow the whole things out and it give my blonde a definite boost. It also hides my roots! Sometimes, I just do the roots. I have a cousin who's a very pretty shade of blonde and she only used sun to get it! It leaves my hair feeling very silky, too. I condition it like crazy and I don't use this product all the time. I would recommend it as a cheap, easy way to boost your blonde or hide your roots. I use the pink bottle and it smells tropical!

on 5/13/2014 1:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I have naturally dark brown hair and this did lighten my hair after a few uses, but it wasn't even and it made my hair dry. My hair in some places is still a bit dark and in others is a lighter color. At first I didn't notice that it was drying my hair out, but I don't think I've ever had split ends but now I have bad split ends after using this and my hair just feels...thin and stringy, it's weird. I used it maybe 8-10 times? Which is the amount I needed to use it for it to change my hair color somewhat noticeably.