4.9

magnesium sulfate

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I first discovered Epsom salt baths during my college years when I worked in a factory to help with bills. Part of the work included lifting. I am a very petite, small-framed woman; so, this work always left me sore and drained. A coworker recommended Epsom salt baths to me. I tried it and it helped my muscles so much! Now I take Epsom salt baths after weight lifting at the gym. It helps prevent me from waking up with sore muscles the next day. I also take Epsom salt baths when it is that time of the month to sooth cramps. I once had a bad outbreak of ingrown hairs on my legs from using a new hair removal product. I took an Epsom salt bath as usual and noticed that the bath had really helped to heal the ingrown hair marks. It can be drying (itchy skin) if you take an Epsom bath too many times per week. I always follow up with a body moisturizer. I have gotten my family hooked on Epsom salt too. My fiancee now takes an Epsom salt bath after he goes boxing. My Dad has a slipped disk in his spine, and Epsom salt baths are one of the things that help him. I just buy bulk Epsom salt from my local drug store. No reason to spend a lot of money on it. Also, if I feel like I getting a little sick (cold, etc.) I add some ginger to the Epsom salt bath for a detox bath (ginger makes you sweat).

I love taking baths! And Epsom salt baths are even better. I truly feel relaxed and detoxed after soaking for 20 minutes. It's super cheap, relaxing, and my skin feels amazing after- what's not love?

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I know there are plenty of reviews for epsom salt baths but I thought I would just share a bit. There is actually a website and you can likely find it by googling epsom salt bath for health and there is actually a proper way to use the epsom salt. As mentioned epsom salt baths are wonderful for a painful body whether you worked out or are sick and in pain from an illness or even a cold.

I just wanted to share that yes the best way to get magnesium into our body is through the skin so that benefit alone is worth the bath. Many are low in magnesium and it would be wise to have a blood test done to check your magnesium level. I personally must supplement daily because my body won't hold on to magnesium for some reason. Everyone should drink some fluids prior to taking an epsom salt bath and right after as well. Do not exceed the amount of time which is 20 minutes or use more than directed on the package. (again you can research epsom salt baths for health). Also once you have started your bath at the temperature that is comfy for you, do not add any more water. Just soak and as the water is cooling off your body is also detoxing. If you add some baking soda to that same bath you will also eliminate even more toxins. The water is so soft and your skin will be soft also. For a good sleep or to relieve stress buy the lavender epsom salt or add a couple drops of lavender essential oil. Please be aware that using too much epsom salt isn't going to work any better and can be dangerous at that point which was mentioned also.

You can also use a mixture of epsom salt and dead sea salt for more purification of your body while allowing the salts to help with aches and pain and relax you.

A bit of important info: long ago before I had health issues and was just achy from dancing too much the night before or having long days at work etc., I wasn't aware of the proper way to take an epsom salt bath. Back then I bought the salt in the box that looks like a 1/2 gallon milk container and I was using 1/2 of that box per bath if not a bit more never thinking it could be dangerous. I overdid once and suddenly became very weak in a very short bit of time and wasn't sure if I could even make it out of the tub and get into my bed. I was scared for sure and very light headed and did pass out in bed and slept all night. I'm likely fortunate that I survived that experience. I am sharing only to help others that may not be aware as I once was not aware.

I love my epsom salt baths and when it's also hair washing day I will lay back and soak my scalp and rub it in the water to stimulate the hair follicles even. It just feels so good. LOL

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Love to take epsom salts baths. I add baking sida to it too.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I had been purchasing Epsom salt for some time as a bath soak. On a whim one I decided to try as a compress of sorts on my face. I just dissolved a small handful, about a quarter of a cup into a sinkful of lukewarm water. I soaked a washcloth in the solution, rung it out and wiped down my face. I repeated the process several more times. The real surprise was the following morning. The acne on my face looked a lot better and there was a noticeable reduction in the redness and inflammation. I applied the epsom salt solution the same way a second night, skipped a night and then did it again. After the third application about 80% of my acne was cleared. I don't use this every night simply because I have very dry sensitive skin, but with continued use this has cleared almost all of my acne. My skin looks good, really good, I even went out to the nail salon with nothing more than mascara on my face. YMMV, but this has done wonders for my acne and it's dirt cheap.

Do not put more salt into your bath than directed. It can kill you. Literally, your body can go into shock and you can die in your bathtub. It doesn't take too long and you won't feel it. It will feel like you're getting tired or "euphoric", extreme relaxation.

I love it, but I feel obligated to warn people since some comment that they put "a lot" for a certain effect.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Really appreciate what this does for plain bath water. Baths are much more relaxing, and . . . floaty. I add lots/cupfuls for a more sedating effect. Quite soporific, actually. I also make sure to drink lots of water afterwards.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Dirt cheap, effective, great results. What else could I ask for? I add this to my baths when I have a cold, any aches or pains, or just to relax! It helps relax my tense muscles, calm me down, and get a boost of magnesium (which many of us are lacking!).

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Yes, yes, and yes.
I toss a couple cups into a hot bath to help with muscle aches and pains, cramps, and sore tired muscles from working out. It's great for when you're sick or just stressed out and need to unwind. It doesn't smell like anything or leave any kind of residue on the skin. It doesn't irritate or alter my skin at all and I have really sensitive skin.
Epsom salt is also great at killing bacteria and infections. If you've got a red, hot inflamed hangnail or cut yourself with a dirty knife, soak your wound in hot water with a sprinkle of Epsom salt to kill off nasty germs and speed up healing time.
Plus it's cheap! I love it!

I can't live without Epsom Salts. After a long weight lifting workout, I just pour myself a bath and pour the Epsom Salt in the warm water and I just soak in it for 20 minutes. All my aches, pains, muscle, joint point is gone afterwards. It's as if the salt just vacuums all the pains and aches from my body. I feel terrific afterwards, the feeling is like I just rested for 3 days in bed on a pile of soft feathers and clouds. That's how amazing I feel afterwards. I agree with the poster that EVERY bathroom should have this!

Popular Bath Treatments