April 24, 2014 | 1903 users online

Treatments - Galderma - Benzac AC 5 (benzoyl peroxide gel 5%)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Smooshus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I used Benzac 5% for around a year and a half after my sister told me to and I was like whatever, sure. Soon realised it worked so well. I have extremely oily skin, have always had quite bad pimples, but I'm not that vain so I just got used them in my teenage years. After using this for maybe two months I had fairly clear skin, maybe one or two pimples occasionally. I got so used to having clear skin, I didn't even wear makeup and it was totally fine.

In Nov 2013 I decided to stop using it and see what happened, SUCH A BAD IDEA. I got terrible, terrible breakouts Dec 2013- Jan 2014, possibly the worst I've ever had. My forehead was constantly bumpy and I was getting horn pimples in bizarre places (don't know the official term, maybe cysts haha). It's also summer here, so I was not wearing makeup at all, only moisturiser and a non-clogging sunscreen (tried and tested previously), so I couldn't blame any other facial products.

I started feeling really self conscious about my face, it was horrible, so I went back to the gel. After two weeks ish of using it basically twice a day to really obliterate the pimples, I'm almost back to my clear skin. I still have pimples and red spots and sometimes horns but they disappear quicker, I now don't wear makeup (because I'm lazy) and I'm not self conscious at all about my face. It says on the packet that it can take up to a month to be perrrrrfect so I've still got a week or two to get to that point, hoping I'm am clear faced after that!

Also a lot of people say this product is quite drying, my general opinion on that is GIVE ME MORE. I have very oily skin, like, wipe with a cloth in the middle of the day because its so oily, so anything with 'drying' effects is like, yes, yes come to me. With this, I think its less oily during the day, but regardless, I notice no problems with peeling or tight skin. Holy grail for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 7:29:00 PM More reviews by RhiannonHocking

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Holy grail product for me. I'm 23, have had moderate acne since puberty. For me, nothing works better than this gel used all over my face morning and night after a 2% salicylic acid toner (which helps to 'slough off' the dry/dead skin the benzac creates). I tend to stray/get lazy with my routine but this clears my skin right up in just a few weeks of use every time I go back to it! Initially there is some dryness/peeling but that's normal and subsides after 4 weeks or so. It also works on any disgusting body acne I get (sweat pimples etc) AND ON INGROWN HAIRS! My only complaint is there isn't more in the tube because I go through so much of the stuff!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2014 2:41:00 AM More reviews by Shellziebellzie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It is a worthwhile product to have in your essentials skincare routine if your skin is acne-prone. It does sting and irritate a little upon your first week or so of appliance, but should be able to apply liberally after the initial stage. Heat and sunlight do not go well with this product, and heightened the itching burning sensation, so use with caution in summer. For those with normal-sensitivity skin, start off with this one. Those with sensitive skin, go with the 2.5%. Never start off with the 10%. That is unless you have skin as tough as Smaug.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/18/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by cankcank

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's harsh, it hasn't cleared up my acne at all, but it makes me feel better to apply something instead of being helplessly blemished!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by kbono23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

love but not HG! has done great things but no real hype! would buy again, but still searching for my HG product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by strobegirl1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It's been 5 months and 21 days for me. I use this alongside the Cetaphil Oily/Acne prone skin cleanser and/or the Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion with Cliniques Moisture Surge Intense.
It is incridible. Absolutely amazing. When you have acne as bad as i did you think there's no way out, Benzac AC is the way out. Start out with the 2 or 2.5 and persist. For me within 5 days I noticed a difference. 5 months later and i can tell it works because i still break out when i DONT use it.
All I have now is the acne pigmentation. I wish so much that someone would have told me to use this so so much.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/4/2013 7:38:00 AM More reviews by teacuppig

I used to use the 2.5%, which worked really well in the beginning but gradually became less effective, so I went up to 5%. Unfortunately, the exact same thing happened - my acne was well controlled for a few weeks then slowly came back again. I'm hesitant to try the 10% because I don't want dry flaky skin. It seems like benzoyl peroxide for some reason only controls my acne effectively if I use it for a few weeks then stop for a few weeks then come back to it. If I use it continuously the effect somehow wears off. I would repurchase it just because I don't know of any other product that works better but I can't count on benzac to be acne free :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2013 4:45:00 AM More reviews by paralleluniverse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Skin type: combination, acne-prone with oily T-zone and nose, dry cheeks

Pros:
- Reasonably priced at AU $14 for a 50mL tube

- Works well with consistent use. Last year in my final year of high school, my skin was breaking out all the time and I had whiteheads that just didn't go away. Foundation only covered the redness but exacerbated the appearance of whiteheads; I needed to get my skin to the best condition it could be. I applied this product from October 2012 - late December 2012 at night and slowly but steadily, my break outs reduced and whiteheads (ones that I thought would never go away!) finally disappeared. Of course, I had a gentle cleansing routine where I used Cetaphil cleanser and a good acne-friendly moisturiser (Nivea Soft).

Now my skin is great condition - I have clear skin with some milia between my eyes and very few break outs. I now use this as spot treatment and it works fairly well, in conjunction with clay masks.

Cons:

- A bit drying if you apply all over your face. So, only apply to spots if you don't want your skin to feel dry all over!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 10:58:00 AM More reviews by leen0810

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this stufff really works.
i only rely on this wen it comes to pimples.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 8:30:00 PM More reviews by ScuffedShoes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

My HG BP product. Have used this for the last year or more after continually running out of my 5% BP Clearasil acne treatment tube that was about the same price but 1/3 of the size. Amazing value for money and and effective BP cream.

I have acne prone skin that only started when I turned 20. When my skin breaks our I can get mild cystic acne on my forehead upper lip orchin. When I use this the breakouts are reduced by about 95% and cystic pimples that have already formed will take about a week to clear up vs 3-4 weeks without this product.

It is SUPER drying, especially when you first start, but please don't let that put you off as you just need to let your skin get used to it and use a nice moisturiser. The perfect combo for me (for years) has been BP and Cetaphil Daily Advance Ultra Hydrating Lotion For Dry Sensitive Skin. My skin rarely feels dry when I put these together and my break outs were so bad before this I felt like nothing would ever work.

This being said I have been wanting to wean my skin off this product for a while as
I am not that into using chemicals on my skin anymore and would love to see how my skin copes without it. I apply it all over my upper lip area below my nose, all over my forhead and all over my chin and jawline, but I am hoping to use it more as a spot treatment in thr weeks to come so maybe I can use some more natural alternatives in the future

It really is a lifesaver for people with unexplained acne break outs. Also the regimen recommends Nutrogena On The Spot BP cream, but this is so so much bigger and cheaper than that product.