Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 1/19/2015 9:59:00 AM

I was hesitant to try this due to its mixed reviews (it seems you either love it due to its effectiveness or you hate it because it aggravated your skin). However, after using this for 2 months, I'm in the love-camp. I've had a bit of acne in my youth with subsequent minor scars and imperfections and I was looking for a product that could help me to achieve a more smooth-looking, glowing skin. After doing my homework, I decided trying a retinol product was worth a try since it stimulated cell regeneration and - turnover on a deeper level (compared to eg. AHA or BHA). Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 came out on top from reading many articles and reviews, with the caveat it's not for everyone due to its potency. I decided (bravely or stupidly) to skip the 0.5 version and just start on 1.0, taking care to use it twice a week and proper hydration to alleviate dryness and subsequent flakiness.

I use this in conjunction with my Kiehl's Ultimate tonice and prior to my LA Prairie night cream, after I 've given it at least 30min to sink in. I use it twice a week, with the Olay Resurfacing elixer on other days. I've not had any allergic reactions to it, although sometimes I can see very light flakiness here and there which is solved through careful exfoliation in the morning. Very happy with this product and will buy again when run out.

P.S I bought it on Ebay from trusted sellers.

on 1/6/2015 9:12:00 PM

This is not for retinol novices! If anyone is new to retinol maybe try skinceuticals 's 0.5 retinol instead of this 1.0 version. Way too harsh / strong for my skin and I literally felt burned after using this for only 2 times. Had to return it back to Dermstore, which is a great site that accepts reasonable returns/exchanges.

on 10/7/2014 4:16:00 AM

I've used retin a, retin a micro, tazorac and differin and never had any issues with break outs from those products, but skinceuticals retinol made me break out :(
I know sometimes people experience an initial breakout from retinol products, but because I didn't from any of the dermatologist prescribed products, I'm thinking it might be the dimethicone in this product that did it.
Dimethicone coats the skin, which basically means skin can't breathe and nothing can get in or out. I know dimethicone isn't a problem for many people, but for us acne prone types, I think it can sometimes be a problem. Trapping bacteria and gunk doesn't sound ideal to me!
Just after using this product, I tried la roche posay effaclar duo, and it also broke me out. I noticed it also has dimethicone, so I will be avoiding this ingredient from now on!

on 9/4/2014 10:36:00 AM

I was not expected such serious medicine since it was over the counter. I have used retin a in .05 and .1 percent concentrations and this seemed to do as much as far as peeling and exfoliating as either of them. However, with retin a it peeled, then got better while just giving my skin glowing results in just a few weeks. 1 month in using the skinceuticals I am still getting reddness, itchyness and pretty bad sensitivity. I much prefer the retin A and when I go to Mexico in next month I will pick up some of that and ditch the skinceuticals.

Also, it brought it down on my neck one day and the next morning I looked like I had 2nd degree burns. This is some serious stuff, don't be fooled into thinking because it is over the counter that it isn't.

I have the metal tube, purchased off of amazon and the packaging is great.

on 9/2/2014 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's now been six months since I started using this product. I apply it every night days, at night only. My skin is combination with first signs of ageing. Nothing prepared me for how my skin would break out. It peeled, it was flaky AND I had awful acne along my jaw and chin and forehead. It was just coming up everywhere, really. I persevered and after about 6 weeks it died down.This product still causes pimples on my face, but they are quite tiny. A the same time, if I apply it on a pimple every night, I find it disappears quickly. It's strange in that way.

I bought this product to combat ageing. I have found that beside the pimples, my skin is more refined BUT it is way more drier. This means that it looks older unless I drench it in moisturizer.

Overall, my skin is more even and smooth for the most part and I will continue using retinol. I'm just not sure if it will be in this product.

on 7/7/2014 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product gave me terrible breakouts. It's ok i understand there might be some purging, but being covered with acne days after days just because of this product is just unthinkable. I buy this to get better skin, not to become covered in spots and feel depressed. I stopped using it and i see in some reviews that some people continued using it for month and breakouts were still there...
For the price i am terribly disappointed. I have tried retinol before in other products so i guess the problem is from the skinceuticals one.
Before using this product, i tried the 0.3% version (commercialised in Europe) and same problem.

on 4/27/2014 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVING this!!! I am a PC fan but wanted to try something else for retinol. I had been using the PC Skin Recovery Retinol and then switched to the PC Resist Intensive Retinol which is labeled their strongest % of retinol but they won't specify what the concentration is. It was only until I read on the PC FB page that the concentration is less than .5% that I decided to look elsewhere.

I was a little nervous about what to expect. When I first applied the Skinceuticals, I was surprised that I experienced NO tingling or burning. Like other reviewers, I noticed nothing after first 2 applications. Then, I started peeling/flaking. I did not have redness just peeling that look a good scrub to get rid of. I'm already seeing results that are gorgeous! I am prone to milia and it has already removed one milia bump that I've had for months.

As all other reviewers said, start slow. If you haven't used retinol before, start with the .5% first. Like another reviewer, I put this on my neck (that was not used to retinol) and it got down in a crease and burned the heck out of my skin. I blame that on user error not the product itself.

I'm happy that this will likely reduce the cost of my skin care regimen because I'll use less. The PC product costs less but I was applying twice a day. The Skinceuticals I only apply 2-3x/wk.

I have the metal tube not the pump. Will repurchase again and again. Very cost effective and produces visible results - that's what I look for in products! HG!

on 2/28/2014 10:15:00 AM

This product can either scare you away or make you see the potential and keep using it sparingly. I am not gonna lie, I freaked out when my face started getting splotchy, sensitive and red. The pealing was annoying but it did not bother me as much as the skin sensitivity towards any face product including the most gentle ( SNAIL MUCUS GEL).

For 1-2 days after using this product at night, my face saw no peeling, no sign of anything. Then when I woke up on the 3rd day ( I did not put any on my face that night), my face was a freak show. I did not want to leave the house!! I tried oatmeal mask to take redness and red blotches away which did help but what I found was that jojoba oil did help a lot in calming my skin.

My skin is starting to peel more and more, different areas every day lol
I almost decided to quit this product but now that I am seeing results begin, I cant wait to go through this all over again. Do expect extreme sensitive skin to your basic creams even the most gentle!!! Do expect to look in the mirror one day and freak out because you look UGLY but don't worry, with beauty comes ugly first lol

I had a pimple on the my cheek with left a red mark, after using this it faded it away and is still fading. I recommend not using it 2 night in a row ( that was dumb of me) since this stuff is potent. Use it ONCE a week at night and later on maybe upgrade the dosage to twice.

DO NOT put it around your eye area.... thankfully I did not and read instructions...

Give this a try and don't expect beautiful results right away...remember that there is a ugly stage so just make sure you have a good makeup to hide this redness lol Maybelline dream mouse is what worked for me..EXFOLIATE GENTLY FIRST....all my high end bb creams, cc cream didnt work! Thats how red it was lol APPLY it with a beauty blender!!!

on 2/26/2014 6:43:00 PM

This a great maximum strength retinol to use instead of a prescription retinoid or in alternation with it: once in 2-3 days. I actually get less side effects from 0.025 Retin-A than from this.

For something comparable - same concentration and consistency- I'd go with Paula's Choice Retinol Body Treatment. That is strong stuff, just like this, without the price.

NOTE: The PC Body Treatment has the same concentration as the Resist Retinol Serum but you end up applying more because it is not slippery silicone, but a lightweight cream.

on 2/26/2014 6:08:00 PM

Like others have mentioned this stuff is strong, I read the comments below but didn't take any notice, I thought I could handle it. As I put the cream onto my face, it's very lightweight and it absorbed right into my skin. I did this 3 nights in a row and the 4th night I thought I would have a night off, when I woke up in the morning, looked in the mirror and I was peeling everywhere and my face felt very sensitive whilst I tried washing with a gentle cleanser. Around my eyes were burning - please don't put near your eyes, very unpleasant. It soon calmed down, but I only use this 2 nights a week, no more, I might increase as my skin adjusts. My skin, is super sort, wrinkles are softer, I have a fresh faced glow. I am very happy and like another reviewer said as I am only using it 2 nights a week, it is working out so much cheaper than my old routine and it gives results!!!
So if you are reading this, don't be like me and please take our advice and go easy!!!