Skinceuticals Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

water, cyclomethicone, cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone crosspolymer, dimethicone, dimethiconol, laureth-4, laureth-23, hydrogenated lecithin, butyorspermum parkii (shea butter), caprylic/capric triglyceride, ceramide 2, ceramide 3, phytosphingosine, cholesterol, hypericum perforatum extract, propylene glycol, allyl methacrylate crosspolymer, polysorbate 20, retinol, BHT, sodium polyacrylate, dimethicone PEG-7 isostearate, glycerin, polyacrylamide, C13-14 isoparaffin, leureth-7, bisabolol. rosa canina leaf extract, silybum marianum fruit extract, passiflora incarnata flower extract, chamomilla recutita (matreicaria) leaf extract, citric acid, methylsothiazolinone, tetrasodium EDTA SkinCeuticals 5/27/09

on 6/16/2015 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Like most Skinceuticals products, this one is really good. I've used retinol products for awhile now, so my skin is used to them. Even though this has a 1% concentration, it really didn't irritate my skin too bad. It did start peeling a little after about 2 weeks, but that's a good thing when using retinol! Excellent product.

on 5/27/2015 10:02:00 PM

Incredible product!!! I have suffered acne for over 20 years since my late teens. Getting very close to 40 and was not able to find anything to clear up your acne is very disappointing and extremely frustrating. However after starting with .5 for couple months long and continuing with 1.0 retinol of skinceuticals have changed my skin and my confidence drastically. I have no acne now and a very nice bright looking skin. Having acne for 20 years left me with scars so I'm hoping will be getting better overtime with continuous use of this product. After a month of incredible results I also bought skinceuticals C E ferulic antioxidant and B5 hydrating gels and have been using them daily. One of my friends is a plastic surgeon and he insists on using retinol at night and an antioxidant in the morning. The results are simply amazing. I use the retinol every other night with Josie maran argan oil on top. I use Josie's argan oil at night and in the morning as a moistrizer. That helps calming down any irritations and hydrating my skin super well. Never had any problems. I also exfoliate twice a week. Highly recommended!

on 4/26/2015 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Edit: I'm finally giving up on this. I have used it too long to still be coping with irritation and redness. It's just too strong for my skin. Even using it just once a week in the humid summer months is making my skin blotchy and red. I also suspect it may be giving me broken capillaries. So it's just not worth it and I'm stopping it.

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. Like so many other reviewers, it makes my face red and blotchy and peely. Though I've used it about a year, my skin has never become used to it, so I only use it once maybe twice a week. I use the tiniest amount but still end up with irritation for the next day or two. I always hate the way my face looks and swear I'm throwing the stuff out, but can never bring myself to get rid of it. Because as soon as a couple days goes by and the redness dies down, I like the way my skin looks. Almost like I've had a good peel. But I just wish I wouldn't have to go through the "ugly" days to get good skin!!

on 1/19/2015 9:59:00 AM

I was hesitant to try this due to its mixed reviews (it seems you either love it due to its effectiveness or you hate it because it aggravated your skin). However, after using this for 2 months, I'm in the love-camp. I've had a bit of acne in my youth with subsequent minor scars and imperfections and I was looking for a product that could help me to achieve a more smooth-looking, glowing skin. After doing my homework, I decided trying a retinol product was worth a try since it stimulated cell regeneration and - turnover on a deeper level (compared to eg. AHA or BHA). Skinceuticals Retinol 1.0 came out on top from reading many articles and reviews, with the caveat it's not for everyone due to its potency. I decided (bravely or stupidly) to skip the 0.5 version and just start on 1.0, taking care to use it twice a week and proper hydration to alleviate dryness and subsequent flakiness.

I use this in conjunction with my Kiehl's Ultimate tonice and prior to my LA Prairie night cream, after I 've given it at least 30min to sink in. I use it twice a week, with the Olay Resurfacing elixer on other days. I've not had any allergic reactions to it, although sometimes I can see very light flakiness here and there which is solved through careful exfoliation in the morning. Very happy with this product and will buy again when run out.

P.S I bought it on Ebay from trusted sellers.

on 1/6/2015 9:12:00 PM

This is not for retinol novices! If anyone is new to retinol maybe try skinceuticals 's 0.5 retinol instead of this 1.0 version. Way too harsh / strong for my skin and I literally felt burned after using this for only 2 times. Had to return it back to Dermstore, which is a great site that accepts reasonable returns/exchanges.

on 10/7/2014 4:16:00 AM

I've used retin a, retin a micro, tazorac and differin and never had any issues with break outs from those products, but skinceuticals retinol made me break out :(
I know sometimes people experience an initial breakout from retinol products, but because I didn't from any of the dermatologist prescribed products, I'm thinking it might be the dimethicone in this product that did it.
Dimethicone coats the skin, which basically means skin can't breathe and nothing can get in or out. I know dimethicone isn't a problem for many people, but for us acne prone types, I think it can sometimes be a problem. Trapping bacteria and gunk doesn't sound ideal to me!
Just after using this product, I tried la roche posay effaclar duo, and it also broke me out. I noticed it also has dimethicone, so I will be avoiding this ingredient from now on!

on 9/4/2014 10:36:00 AM

I was not expected such serious medicine since it was over the counter. I have used retin a in .05 and .1 percent concentrations and this seemed to do as much as far as peeling and exfoliating as either of them. However, with retin a it peeled, then got better while just giving my skin glowing results in just a few weeks. 1 month in using the skinceuticals I am still getting reddness, itchyness and pretty bad sensitivity. I much prefer the retin A and when I go to Mexico in next month I will pick up some of that and ditch the skinceuticals.

Also, it brought it down on my neck one day and the next morning I looked like I had 2nd degree burns. This is some serious stuff, don't be fooled into thinking because it is over the counter that it isn't.

I have the metal tube, purchased off of amazon and the packaging is great.

on 9/2/2014 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's now been six months since I started using this product. I apply it every night days, at night only. My skin is combination with first signs of ageing. Nothing prepared me for how my skin would break out. It peeled, it was flaky AND I had awful acne along my jaw and chin and forehead. It was just coming up everywhere, really. I persevered and after about 6 weeks it died down.This product still causes pimples on my face, but they are quite tiny. A the same time, if I apply it on a pimple every night, I find it disappears quickly. It's strange in that way.

I bought this product to combat ageing. I have found that beside the pimples, my skin is more refined BUT it is way more drier. This means that it looks older unless I drench it in moisturizer.

Overall, my skin is more even and smooth for the most part and I will continue using retinol. I'm just not sure if it will be in this product.

on 7/7/2014 7:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product gave me terrible breakouts. It's ok i understand there might be some purging, but being covered with acne days after days just because of this product is just unthinkable. I buy this to get better skin, not to become covered in spots and feel depressed. I stopped using it and i see in some reviews that some people continued using it for month and breakouts were still there...
For the price i am terribly disappointed. I have tried retinol before in other products so i guess the problem is from the skinceuticals one.
Before using this product, i tried the 0.3% version (commercialised in Europe) and same problem.

on 4/27/2014 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

LOVING this!!! I am a PC fan but wanted to try something else for retinol. I had been using the PC Skin Recovery Retinol and then switched to the PC Resist Intensive Retinol which is labeled their strongest % of retinol but they won't specify what the concentration is. It was only until I read on the PC FB page that the concentration is less than .5% that I decided to look elsewhere.

I was a little nervous about what to expect. When I first applied the Skinceuticals, I was surprised that I experienced NO tingling or burning. Like other reviewers, I noticed nothing after first 2 applications. Then, I started peeling/flaking. I did not have redness just peeling that look a good scrub to get rid of. I'm already seeing results that are gorgeous! I am prone to milia and it has already removed one milia bump that I've had for months.

As all other reviewers said, start slow. If you haven't used retinol before, start with the .5% first. Like another reviewer, I put this on my neck (that was not used to retinol) and it got down in a crease and burned the heck out of my skin. I blame that on user error not the product itself.

I'm happy that this will likely reduce the cost of my skin care regimen because I'll use less. The PC product costs less but I was applying twice a day. The Skinceuticals I only apply 2-3x/wk.

I have the metal tube not the pump. Will repurchase again and again. Very cost effective and produces visible results - that's what I look for in products! HG!

Popular Treatments (Face)