October 24, 2014 | 1785 users online

Treatments (Face) - Skinceuticals - Refining Night Cream With 1 % Pure Retinol

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2014 4:16:00 AM More reviews by clare26

I've used retin a, retin a micro, tazorac and differin and never had any issues with break outs from those products, but skinceuticals retinol made me break out :(
I know sometimes people experience an initial breakout from retinol products, but because I didn't from any of the dermatologist prescribed products, I'm thinking it might be the dimethicone in this product that did it.
Dimethicone coats the skin, which basically means skin can't breathe and nothing can get in or out. I know dimethicone isn't a problem for many people, but for us acne prone types, I think it can sometimes be a problem. Trapping bacteria and gunk doesn't sound ideal to me!
Just after using this product, I tried la roche posay effaclar duo, and it also broke me out. I noticed it also has dimethicone, so I will be avoiding this ingredient from now on!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by tamo245

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was not expected such serious medicine since it was over the counter. I have used retin a in .05 and .1 percent concentrations and this seemed to do as much as far as peeling and exfoliating as either of them. However, with retin a it peeled, then got better while just giving my skin glowing results in just a few weeks. 1 month in using the skinceuticals I am still getting reddness, itchyness and pretty bad sensitivity. I much prefer the retin A and when I go to Mexico in next month I will pick up some of that and ditch the skinceuticals.

Also, it brought it down on my neck one day and the next morning I looked like I had 2nd degree burns. This is some serious stuff, don't be fooled into thinking because it is over the counter that it isn't.

I have the metal tube, purchased off of amazon and the packaging is great.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2014 7:30:00 PM More reviews by Danni85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's now been six months since I started using this product. I apply it every night days, at night only. My skin is combination with first signs of ageing. Nothing prepared me for how my skin would break out. It peeled, it was flaky AND I had awful acne along my jaw and chin and forehead. It was just coming up everywhere, really. I persevered and after about 6 weeks it died down.This product still causes pimples on my face, but they are quite tiny. A the same time, if I apply it on a pimple every night, I find it disappears quickly. It's strange in that way.

I bought this product to combat ageing. I have found that beside the pimples, my skin is more refined BUT it is way more drier. This means that it looks older unless I drench it in moisturizer.

Overall, my skin is more even and smooth for the most part and I will continue using retinol. I'm just not sure if it will be in this product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2014 7:38:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This product gave me terrible breakouts. It's ok i understand there might be some purging, but being covered with acne days after days just because of this product is just unthinkable. I buy this to get better skin, not to become covered in spots and feel depressed. I stopped using it and i see in some reviews that some people continued using it for month and breakouts were still there...
For the price i am terribly disappointed. I have tried retinol before in other products so i guess the problem is from the skinceuticals one.
Before using this product, i tried the 0.3% version (commercialised in Europe) and same problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 10:49:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVING this!!! I am a PC fan but wanted to try something else for retinol. I had been using the PC Skin Recovery Retinol and then switched to the PC Resist Intensive Retinol which is labeled their strongest % of retinol but they won't specify what the concentration is. It was only until I read on the PC FB page that the concentration is less than .5% that I decided to look elsewhere.

I was a little nervous about what to expect. When I first applied the Skinceuticals, I was surprised that I experienced NO tingling or burning. Like other reviewers, I noticed nothing after first 2 applications. Then, I started peeling/flaking. I did not have redness just peeling that look a good scrub to get rid of. I'm already seeing results that are gorgeous! I am prone to milia and it has already removed one milia bump that I've had for months.

As all other reviewers said, start slow. If you haven't used retinol before, start with the .5% first. Like another reviewer, I put this on my neck (that was not used to retinol) and it got down in a crease and burned the heck out of my skin. I blame that on user error not the product itself.

I'm happy that this will likely reduce the cost of my skin care regimen because I'll use less. The PC product costs less but I was applying twice a day. The Skinceuticals I only apply 2-3x/wk.

I have the metal tube not the pump. Will repurchase again and again. Very cost effective and produces visible results - that's what I look for in products! HG!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by surfcowboy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This product can either scare you away or make you see the potential and keep using it sparingly. I am not gonna lie, I freaked out when my face started getting splotchy, sensitive and red. The pealing was annoying but it did not bother me as much as the skin sensitivity towards any face product including the most gentle ( SNAIL MUCUS GEL).

For 1-2 days after using this product at night, my face saw no peeling, no sign of anything. Then when I woke up on the 3rd day ( I did not put any on my face that night), my face was a freak show. I did not want to leave the house!! I tried oatmeal mask to take redness and red blotches away which did help but what I found was that jojoba oil did help a lot in calming my skin.

My skin is starting to peel more and more, different areas every day lol
I almost decided to quit this product but now that I am seeing results begin, I cant wait to go through this all over again. Do expect extreme sensitive skin to your basic creams even the most gentle!!! Do expect to look in the mirror one day and freak out because you look UGLY but don't worry, with beauty comes ugly first lol

I had a pimple on the my cheek with left a red mark, after using this it faded it away and is still fading. I recommend not using it 2 night in a row ( that was dumb of me) since this stuff is potent. Use it ONCE a week at night and later on maybe upgrade the dosage to twice.

DO NOT put it around your eye area.... thankfully I did not and read instructions...

Give this a try and don't expect beautiful results right away...remember that there is a ugly stage so just make sure you have a good makeup to hide this redness lol Maybelline dream mouse is what worked for me..EXFOLIATE GENTLY FIRST....all my high end bb creams, cc cream didnt work! Thats how red it was lol APPLY it with a beauty blender!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This a great maximum strength retinol to use instead of a prescription retinoid or in alternation with it: once in 2-3 days. I actually get less side effects from 0.025 Retin-A than from this.

For something comparable - same concentration and consistency- I'd go with Paula's Choice Retinol Body Treatment. That is strong stuff, just like this, without the price.

NOTE: The PC Body Treatment has the same concentration as the Resist Retinol Serum but you end up applying more because it is not slippery silicone, but a lightweight cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by cazana1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like others have mentioned this stuff is strong, I read the comments below but didn't take any notice, I thought I could handle it. As I put the cream onto my face, it's very lightweight and it absorbed right into my skin. I did this 3 nights in a row and the 4th night I thought I would have a night off, when I woke up in the morning, looked in the mirror and I was peeling everywhere and my face felt very sensitive whilst I tried washing with a gentle cleanser. Around my eyes were burning - please don't put near your eyes, very unpleasant. It soon calmed down, but I only use this 2 nights a week, no more, I might increase as my skin adjusts. My skin, is super sort, wrinkles are softer, I have a fresh faced glow. I am very happy and like another reviewer said as I am only using it 2 nights a week, it is working out so much cheaper than my old routine and it gives results!!!
So if you are reading this, don't be like me and please take our advice and go easy!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by makeupsmad

Holy smokes I can attest that this stuff is strong. It HAS to compare to at least the lower percentages of the rx stuff.

I have combo skin normally although it's been dry with the winter. I ::thought:: my skin was acclimated to retinol as I've used the drugstore stuff which I know is not the same thing but I've also been using a 1% by skinfinite 2-3x per week certain days to kick it up a notch. Clearly these are not the same 1% standards.

I've had to buffer this and use it no more than 1x per week so far. My eyes especially have been sensitive since it's probably migrating in my sleep. My skin has gone through some irritiation, but I've also added Obagi's Blender, so some of it could be the combined products. Last week I started to peel on my nose and around it. Luckily it wasn't a raw feeling with the peel, but it did flake considerably.

UPDATE: I did end up flaking considerably on my nose and around it on my cheeks, etc but it wasn't painful, like I said. What was REALLY bothersome was what happened to my neck. DO NOT use this stuff under your chin/your neck unless you know what you're getting into. I had a bright red chemical burn which wierdly settled into the deep horizontal line I have (probably from sleeping) and severe itching/peeling. My husband was horrified and said it looked like he tried to strangle me with a rope or something. It was truly ugly. My fault, because I should have known that my neck is more sensitive (I didn't try my chest).

So far I'm pleased with the product. I probably should have started with the .5 and worked my way up but like I said, I thought my skin could handle it. Just go slow and mix it with gentle moisturizers if you aren't acclimated to stronger stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Ispania

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a tube version and it is very easy and comfortable to use.

I thought my skin could tolerate 1.% without preparation and I was right. This cream did not irritate my skin. I didn't have any stinging and burning and even flaking. The only mistake I made was to put it under eyes and quite liberaly. I did it before yesterday and today I still have red patches under my eyes which look like a burn and they burn a little. But it's not that bad.
As I understand the cream is mostly for anti aging effects not anti-acne. When I have some pimples and smooths the cream over them nothing happens. For flare ups i use Avene Triacneal which is quite helpful. I can't see dramatic changes but think the overall skin tone is more even and smooth now. I also did not notice that my crow's feet and fine lines are getting better. May be it takes longer to see fine lines to fade but I will be happy if the cream will prevent the appearance of new lines. Thanks to this cream and avene triacneal I don't use foundation now, only TM or just powder. A couple of months ago I wouldn't do it.
This cream doesn't dry my skin and I don't even need to use moisterizer over it, and my skin is dryish in winter.
Overall, I think this is a good cream, worth a shot. I will definetely will come back to it, but for now I want to try other OTC retinoids like replenix or cellex- c and some other brands.