December 18, 2014 | 1614 users online

Hair Color - LUSH - Caca Marron

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2014 7:29:00 AM More reviews by mcmanu5

I have medium brown with slight red undertones, virgin hair and I felt bored of my colour but unwilling to try any chemical dyes- i didn't want anything too drastic, so I decided to give Caca Marron a try. Incredibly messy and definitely worth getting a friend to help you with (to avoid missing any bits) but despite the long process of putting it in and washing it out, the end result was totally worth it for me- my wirey, fine hair looked thicker, conditioned and a beautiful glossy, deep copper colour- more noticeable in the sun. Many people didn't realise I had coloured it, they just commented on how good my hair was looking! As it fades gradually over time, I never had any hint of uneven hair colour from my roots showing through.

Would recommend to anyone wanting to liven up their hair colour and due to the cocoa butter and all sorts of lovely things to condition your hair, this product is great for anyone with dry or fine hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2014 5:25:00 PM More reviews by drmac16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Hair background: As a child I had light blonde hair which slowly started darkening and becoming a mousy blonde/brown nasty color. When I was 15 I started dyeing my hair dark brown and continued that for about 7 years. I was also a swimmer during this time so my hair was very chlorine damaged. Once I stopped swimming I decided to start lightening my hair and I got it back to being a very light blonde. I found this hard to maintain - it would look good for a week and then would get very dull and dry looking. I then dyed my hair an ombre so I could start growing out my natural hair. The ombre was starting to not look so great and my mom told me my hair looked dull and had no shine to it whatsoever. I started looking for alternative methods to dye my hair and discovered lush henna.

I started researching online and found that the indigo in the caca brun and caca noir can turn blonde hair a green/grey colour if there are no red tones so I picked the caca marron to try first. Now it is a bit messy to apply but I had my mom do it for me and we were done in about 30 minutes and I have thick mid back length hair. I used all 6 blocks. I actually didn't mind the smell. I left it on for 3 hours. I read another review where a girl said she got all the chunks and coffee grounds out by dunking her head into a bucket full of water while in the shower so I tried that and it worked great! I dunked my head twice and shook my hair around in the water and all the large pieces came out and then I just needed to condition once through to get the rest. I was in the shower for about 15 min. Now lush says to shampoo hair after but some people say that this will strip some of the colour so I didn't use shampoo. I don't normally use shampoo anyway, just water and conditioner. However, since there is sooo much cocoa butter in your hair, your hair will not really dry afterwards. It will remain slick and oily. I went out that night after doing the henna and had to wear my hair up in a sock bun so no one would notice the oiliness.

So as far as colour goes...my roots and the part of my hair that was a light brown colour didn't change drastically but has a nice auburn glow and it is soooo shiny. The part of my hair that was blonde is a bit orange. Nothing I can't hide with an updo but if your whole head is blonde, be aware that you may have to wear a hat for a few days. I'm waiting to see if the orange darkens a bit after oxidation. Now ladies, henna is not a type of dye that you can try once and get a perfect colour!! If you had bad results the first time I do suggest trying it again because the colour builds up after every application and becomes richer. Plus there's no harm in reapplying since it's a deep conditioning treatment as well. I'm going to reapply in a couple of days to get a deeper colour. Any questions, let me know!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/9/2013 3:04:00 PM More reviews by MoodySunshine

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Never again. I bought the black version of this dye (caca noir) and it was the biggest waste of money! I found it extremely hard to apply, and the turnout was awful. It made my hair this really gross looking reddish brown shade. The next day I had to cover it up with a black semi permanent dye, because it just looked so bad. The reason why I had to use semi permanent instead of permanent is you have to wait atleast 3 months before using permanent stuff, because if you put permanent dye over henna it can go a greenish color. I believe you can have positive experiences with henna, but I wouldn't suggest anyone to take the henna route. Theres much better natural dyes out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2013 9:49:00 AM More reviews by chocolatecadre

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I swear by this product. In fact, I'm sitting on the computer with the henna in my hair right now!

The pros of all of the Caca series (Noir, Marron, Rouge, Brun) is a long-lasting, vibrant colour that comes out extremely natural and doesn't damage your hair as much as other hair dyes would. If you're looking for a natural hair dye solution, this is the way to go.

The cons list is intimidating: it's messy to use, takes a long, long while (you're better off doing it on a day off) and can take a while to wash off, as well - it generally isn't the most user-friendly dye to use.

To me, it's completely worth it, though. I get compliments on my red hair all the time, and if there are no roots showing (my natural colour is ashy blond, so the roots are not too visible even when there are some), people think it's my natural hair color. I once used Brun and found it a bit dull, a sort of dark, dull brown - so I would go for Rouge or Maron or Noir if you really want black hair.

Things to look out for when using: it's best to grate a couple of squares off the bar into a bowl, using a grater you won't be using for food (ie get a cheap new one and then only use it for henna). Then add boiling water, and try to get the consistency of yoghurt in the mixing process. Touch the paste with gloved fingers, and when it's warm but not so hot it burns, apply it to hair. Once you've applied it all over, definitely cover your hair with cling film and then a warm hat or a towel. Leave on for minimum 2 hours, I prefer 4 hours or even 5 (just watch some movies while it's on!).

It's the best natural hairdye out there, and worth the trouble for me - for anybody wanting a super-quick, easy fix, though, I wouldn't recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 4:54:00 PM More reviews by missmelanierose

Very very very very messy - but it's worth it to avoid permanent damage to your hair. This colour makes my medium brown hair soft and just a bit reddish, which glows beautifully in the sun.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/4/2012 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Nicola92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try something different on my virgin hair without it being too drastic and caca maroon gave me just that. I really liked the reddish colour payoff it gave me, it is relatively cheap due to the bob length of my hair and received many compliments on the shininess of my hair. However the application is a rather tedious process, creating the right consistency is difficult, trying to wash the dye out takes forever and cleaning the bathroom of green stains takes even longer. Although I really liked the results it takes far too long for someone who is slow at doing things as it is, also I canít stand the scent of the block, which makes storage difficult.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/3/2012 12:45:00 AM More reviews by Taliw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have used Lush henna for 2 years now because I love using a natural product on my already damaged hair. I've used the Maroon, Noir, and Brun so far. I have naturally light brown hair and my hair was a platinum blonde 2 years ago when I first started using this stuff. At first I loved that my hair was shiny an full after using the henna, I also loved the lovely array of highlights it also gave me. The downsides to the hennas are considerable though. Aside from the smell and the mess this stuff makes, oh and the insane amount of time you have to leave it on. I found that while it gives me highlights, it also unevenly colors my hair, and this isn't because I dont apply correctly, I've henna'd at least a dozen times. I find that my roots always end up alot lighter then the rest of my hair, and after about of month of having the color on, my ends turned green. Like 4 inches worth of green. I ended up getting most of it cut off, but that killed my length. I also find that the bars don't cover that much hair. I use 5 of the pieces to cover my mid back length hair, and it's like 28 bucks a bar, which I use every 3 months. Still cheaper then a salon, but expensive for a home system. Overall, I feel like I've spent enough time with the henna that I am ready to grow out my natural color instead of continuing this tedious and often unsuccessful process again.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 2:47:00 PM More reviews by macaroni555

I've found this to be a great product.
Would also like to comment on Natalie's post about chemicals. Lush products are definitely all chemical-free. She posted a really cool website, though, that I hadn't heard of before: goodguide.com (the other website is under construction). Props for looking this up!
However, I'd just like to point out that I found goodguide's health rating very inaccurate. The ingredients it listed as having a health concern in Caca Marron were: lemon, cloves, coriander. Since these are all things that are used in food (cloves and coriander are spices), I think Caca Marron is pretty safe for your hair.
Happy dyeing!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2012 12:34:00 AM More reviews by sweetjennymarie

Bought Caca Marron on a bit of a whim. My natural hair colour has been looking a little flat lately and I wanted to perk it up a little. I had been thinking about it for a few months and finally decided to give it a go one day. I didn't find the setup process that difficult, just cut each square into 4 pieces and poured some boiling water over them and smooshed them til they melted. I used the entire bar, (which made it a bit pricey for an at-home hair dye) but my hair is quite long so I usually end up using 2 boxes of dye anyway. I did the application outside on a sunny day and MAN is it ever messy! Definitely looked like someone did their business on my head (Boyfriend had an awesome time laughing at me.) The smell was bleh but boxed dye smells awful anyway so this is just awful in a different way. pretty much did the opposite of what i should have done and just loaded the mush onto the top of my head and massaged it down to the ends without sectioning it off or anything which made it a bit more difficult and messy than it should have been. Then wrapped saran wrap around my head and chilled out for 3 hours. Showering it off was the worst part. I thought those coffee grounds would never come out! Shampood the hell out of it then deep conditioned with some argan oil conditioner and blow dryed. The result was a beauuuuutiful natural looking red-brown that totally breathed new life into my shaggy mane. It was soft and definitely thicker. My hair is naturally thin and boring brown, but my mom is a redhead so i do have some natural red highlights that were brought out by the henna. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with thin hair or someone that just wants a low maintenance natural (but better) looking hair colour. As a plus the Sales Associate at Lush gave me a ton of pointers and the store offers to do the first application for you for free if you feel a bit overwhelmed!!

Pros:
Great colour
Leaves hair soft and thick
Low maintenance
Less damaging
Cons:
MESSY!
Smells like old wet hay
Little bit pricey
Takes a long time (3hrs)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by xthemusicoflifex

I wanted to love this, I really did, but LUSH's Caca Maroon just didn't cut it for me. Before using the henna I had read up about it and knew it would be harder work than box dyes, and much much more messy, but box dyes left me with an allergic reaction. Before starting the henna, my hair was about 3 inches shorter than my bra strap, and a light brown/reddish tint/ dark blonde color and all natural.

When using the LUSH product, I used 3 squares and followed the directions exactly. When it came time to put it in my hair, it was about the consistency of pudding, and matted my hair together. It was so matted together that it was very difficult to reach dry parts of my hair to coat them, and it looked like I had dreads (and felt like it too!). After my head managed to get covered completely, I did NOT saran wrap it, and left it on for around 3 hours. When I was washing it out it was unbelievably hard to get it out of my hair and it turned my shower dark green (walls, curtain, everything!). After I washed it all out and conditioned, I dried my hair to find out that it was GREEN tinted in the front (where my part is), and the rest of my hair got maybe one shade darker, but it was hardly noticeable. Even though henna is known to condition hair, my sometimes manageable hair felt like straw after everything was rinsed out.

Overall, I'm deeply disappointed with this product and don't even know if I'll use the rest of the bar. It was a pain to put in my hair, tinted it green for a few days, and didn't last long at all. Not to mention the smell is fairly obnoxious.

(NOTE: Make sure your shower drains really well before you rinse it out, or else you'll be stuck trying to figure out how to unclog the mess in a pool of deep green water)