April 19, 2014 | 1741 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Summer Color Sunless Lotion Deep Dark

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Ellieenri

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised how fast the color develops... It's great for last minute tan touch ups for an event.
Doesn't smell bad and dries fairly quickly.
It gives out a natural looking tan which is a winner.
Can't wait for summer!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:58:00 PM More reviews by beachsexybronze

Aww yes....as too many self tanners these days don't give enough DHA in their products (making you literally have to use too much product to see good results), this one still delivers (even tho-believe it or not-this is still not as good as the old school Banana Boat sunless in DEEP dark).

Let me say that I have been using sunless tanner since 1995-FAITHFULLY...Infact I have never went one week without using it since! I have tried over 30 brands and different kinds, like "buildable", "overnight", gels, lotions, sprays, you name it- etc.

I will say first that usually ANY self tanner that has a "color guard" is not my fav pick. Why? Because usually the color guard interferes with the actual color to show UP. Yes they are great for "seeing where the lotion goes", but I have found that the ones WITH color guards actually make it more blotchy or uneven!

See, when it comes to self tanner, you really DONT want too many other "moisterizers" to be mixed with the product (ONLY unless you are putting it over your feet,elbows, and knees beforehand), because moisterizers + self tanner= diluted results and a lighter tan or no tan at all (being that the color guard just rinses away)- (Trust me on this!).

The old school "Nuetragena sunless lotion in "DEEP" that was WHITE lotion with NO color guard actually made me DARK in just ONE application (the yellow bottle). Same thing for the old school NO-AD sunless tanning GEL (that was completely clear of color)-got me so darn DARK overnight -it was a rediculous but happy result!! And same thing for the original Coppertone tanning lotion (the one from the late 90's) that also made you dark with one application and had ZERO color guard! Same thing for the "endless summer" Coppertone dual lotion, and same for the OLD school "Bain De Soleil" sunless tanner that was not a "outside tanner lotion with a "tiny" bit of self tanner in it"-they used to have one that was just a self tanner and you didn't need to tan outside to see results...(sigh)...

But over the years I have found that many people seem to be annoyed by the "smell" of the sunless tanners..(the DHA ingrediant that actually makes you turn color). Now, being that is understandable, I am saddened by this because #1. NO "fake tan" is going to NOT have a smell (unless once again they are DILUTED with fragrances, color guards, moisterizers, etc). Yes of course "no one" WANTS to be "orange", but in order to get a really nice dark color, any "fake" tan will always (always, always) have a TINT to some kind of "orange" color-unless you are naturally very dark or yellow in skin color.

So now because the industry has catered to more of the "smell/odor" customer complaints for the last two decades, sadly the only sunless tanners that produce REAL dark tan colors costs a fortune-AND in VERY small quantities I will add or do not work the right way like they used to (like those like me who want a DARK color OVERNIGHT)- Not to mention, that there are too many "graduale" tanners and not enough "DEEP DARK" tanners without the guard mixed in-due to the fact that too many companies dont use enough of the DHA ingrediant inside like they should for REAL results.

The ONLY other sunless tanners with "color guards" that I have found to REALLY work is Sunlabs, Savage Bronze -(discontinued and me and LOTS of others are VERY angry about our beloved Savage Bronze self tanner mouse), and this one.

Anyhow, this one is nice, except that the fading isn't the best and it does not last too long.

But pretty good overall. Sorry for my rant above, but being an avid sunless tanner user that has always depended on using ONE application for deep dark results, sadly there just isnt enough of those products these days anymore. I could deal with the smell during the first app. Just wish some of the original products were not changed so the ones who don't mind could still use them.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2014 10:27:00 AM More reviews by ac06493

This is definitely one of the best self tanners for the price!
If you're new to self tanners this is a great one to start with. Smells fine, applies easily, lasts a decent amount of time, and gives a nice color.
It's not going to give you tons of color but for the price it is an awesome buy and I would recommend this to anyone new to self tanning though I would recommend purchasing a mitt to apply for an easier, more even application.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by kfulghum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great self- tanner. It has a pleasant smell that goes away by the morning (I only apply this at night). I am pretty pale and I bought the deep dark color which gave me a very nice glow after only one application. It is easy to apply and has streak protection. It does transfer a tiny bit in the shower but I didn't notice it anywhere else. I will keep using and probably buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 7:51:00 AM More reviews by WinterisComing9

I am quite partial to a Brazilian model glow and do everything to achieve that look. Being already on the darker side I am always afraid I will waste money and be frustrated however I was not with this product. The color showed up immdiately and after letting the product sit on my skin for an hour (I was stark nude in my bathroom watching YT videos) there is no color transfer. No color transfer is important to me bc I have very prettty white dresses to wear for the summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:43:00 AM More reviews by ashhhh3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, I'm very pale. I do tan with the sun pretty easily, but I don't like being exposed to it too much to just get a tad bit of color.
I looked Into this self tanner because of the great reviews, and the amazingly low price!
I loooooove this self tanner. I swear by, and fully trust this tanner to get a perfect color every time!
I applied two layers on a Monday night, and woke up with a very noticeably dark color. If I could recommend one thing, and this does for all self tanners, is moisturize before applying this and really let it soak in!
It didn't make my elbows or knees dark, and the lasting power is unreal.
The first time around, when It was at it's darkest, I hadn't used gloves, and even when I scrubbed (and fairly hard) it faded just a little (but my orange hands when away btw) I love the natural color it gives, and how I could compare this easily to a high end one, and this one takes the cake!
I also applied this around my hands, and it also looked great. I still recommend moisturizing your knuckles and folds!
CON: the smell is kind of funky, but I'm not one to judge smells so I'm not effected by it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by christinaccar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have tried SO MANY self tanners and this one wins every time. I choose it even over Fake Bake. Multiple times I have tried different ones and I always go back to this one. The color is so nice and natural. Not orange. It lasts about 2-3 days on my face and about 5-7 days on my body. Its thick consistency makes it very easy to apply.

After a few blotchy orange hand experiences, I have learned that it's best to wash hands and then take a tissue and put some of the lotion on that and rub it really good into the tops of your hands and the bottom of your wrists. Also do the same with your feet.

Or you could use the Banana Boat self tanner spray for your hands and feet as well. I do that sometimes.

Another thing I love about this product is it doesn't make my knees and elbows dark and dirty looking. Which is a very important quality!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2013 8:08:00 AM More reviews by coconuty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

definitely HG. best sunless tanner for me, just bought 6 of it. if you put an average amount (2 tbs per leg, 1 tbs for one arm, 1 tbs for back, 1 tbs for stomach etc) you'll have great results!
it lasts for about 7-10 days if not more. comes off with no patches, like a real tan. never breaks me out on my BODY, but it's NOT for your face!! it gave me nasty pimples on my chin and cheeks, do not try it on your face. for my face i use dennis gross glow pad (anti aging), or xen-tan deep bronze luxe (it's a big tube for your body, i only put it on my face cause it's expensive). the colour of banana boat turns out beautiful and looks real. even if you put too much- it might feel a tiny bit sticky but it NEVER comes out streaky. be sure to sleep with it or stay with it for 8 hours then rinse it off only with warm/cold water. after 16 hours you can shower as usual, i use a creamy body wash with oil (dove brand).

cons: sometimes it turns out too yellowish. saw gossmakeupartist on youtube a few weeks ago- giving an idea to add 6 drops of red food dye, to make sunless tanners look more "real".

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Bellalove403

THIS STUFF IS THE BEST SELF TANNER I HAVE EVER USED! AND ONLY COSTS 6 BUCKS! AMAZING PRODUCT!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2013 10:40:00 PM More reviews by JulieTaboulli

Holy Crap. This is the best sunless tanner I have ever used -- bar none. Let me say, as an extremely pale girl, I have bought my fair share of sunless tanners (and even gone for multiple professional ones). I'll be sticking with this one, for forever. And as a bonus, it's cheaper than most I've tried, too.
I swear, you have to try to get this lotion to streak -- it blends so flawlessly you really need to screw up for a streak (which I have done, and even when it happens, it isn't some orangey line -- it just looks slightly darker in one area).
The color is impeccable -- I (pale) use the one for dark skin, and still people think it looks completely natural (two separate compliment on how I look like I've been out in the sun!). It isn't orange in the least, it actually is a pleasant TAN-brown color, so far different from other lotions. I've also noticed it looks much better than sunless tans from salons, and fades much more naturally. When it does fade, it takes a while -- I find I don't need to reapply as often as I did with Nivea or Jergins products. It has better staying power. Finally, the smell is literally the best of all tanners I've used, with a mild lemony scent that fades over time, and doesn't scent my clothes (scents really bother me, so trust me on this). The consistency is basically that of any lotion-tanner, although I do think that it absorbs slightly faster and leaves me less greasy than others. I don't feel slick 30 minutes after application like I have with some others.

Verdict: I need to buy more. Now.