November 27, 2014 | 1265 users online

Lips - Black Opal - Patent Lips Liquid Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2011 6:34:00 PM More reviews by pasdetrois

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was searching for a replacement for my Bourjois Tomate lip gloss, which is an HG and which I must now try to find on eBay. I am thrilled that Orange Blaze is a very close replica, and is better in one regard -- it's thicker and has less tendency to creep. Better staying power, too.

I still use a colorless lip liner, and I don't put this on too thickly. It's lighter and brighter than the Tomate, but I love it. The color is just like a tomato.

Although I have pale olive Causasian skin, I started using some Black Opal cosmetics 15 years ago. This was when cosmetics for Caucasian women were pink-based, and before Bobbie Brown and others introduced cosmetics for warm skin tones like mine.

This is my new HG lip gloss - hope to find more colors I like.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 4:44:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, the smell is just horrible. It something I can't put my finger on but it is barely tolerable. I am not a fan of the colors, but then again I am partial to lip glosses. The consistency is very thick and you need a lip brush to apply it evenly. I won't purchase again since it will last some time and the smell is awful.

Update 08/15/2011: Still don't like it but here is a more descript review of the shades I have.

Nude Scene - a peachy shimmer that has a opaque finish. When blotted, it leaves behind a peach tint but lots of shimmer. This looked horrible on me. It looks like I was huffing on spray can fumes.

Glam - a bronzey color with lots of shimmer. The same disaster as Nude Scene.

Orange Blaze - basically a burnt orange color. Looked absolutely horrible on my NW45/NW47/NW50 skin tone.

Violine - a deep dark plum/aubergine color. It looked okay but honestly I will not wear it outside of the house. This looks like this is a workable shade but how I can manipulate it, I am at a loss.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 10:37:00 PM More reviews by mjoy14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this in Uptown Brown... LOVE IT!! I think I've purchased it about 5 times now... my fave. I've tried the Copper Tone too... didn't like that one too much.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2006 6:01:00 PM More reviews by vanillasugardream

I have 2 of them, Nude Scene ( a frosty muted champagne-peach) and another shade, which is a bronzey chocolate shade, with some gold shimmer). they arent glossy at all, more like an opaque liquid lipstick. Love that and they last a cosnsierable amount of time considering the type of product they are. i didnt notice a weird scent or taste. they have a lot of nice shades for a lot of skin tones, even though they are marketed for women of color. Myself, I am a PPP and the 2 shades I have are great. But i am able to get away with some deeper dark shades because of my coloring. The spongetip applicator is sturdy and not flimsy, way better than those glaze-type brushes.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/24/2004 8:39:00 PM More reviews by nnebulous

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found Black Opal's Patent Lips about 4 years ago and have made it a staple since. People are always asking what brand it is. I wear the Caramel Mousse every day and it was the first (and perhaps only) color I've found that complements my dark skin tone. I have since tried about every other shade that won't make my lips look huge (so basically everything but the bright red). I agree with the folks commenting on Copper Tone. I've purchased it twice now and it's the only one that requires a heavy hand to see any color! And it is abnormally gritty. FYI, I've yet to have the black cap stay on any of the colors for any longer than a week, so rest assured that you'll be getting hair and various whatnot wrapped around the wand handle eventually. Basically I love this product: it's great solo, but even better when layered with other Patent Lip colors. Caramel Mousse and Smokey (a deep purple darker than Violine) made for a very dramatic and upscale look for me...but I think Smokey is now only available on Texas Beauty Supply.com. I think this stuff is among the best any drugstore has to offer!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2004 5:25:00 PM More reviews by sienna0202

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have loved every black opal lip product that I have tried and this didn't disappoint! I have this in Violine and on me it's a nice true deep red with a nice shine. I have no complaints what so ever about this product. Definitely a repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2003 11:41:00 PM More reviews by funnygirlblack

okay once again if this was dry or gitty you need to complain to the store you got it from because when these are fresh( meaning the one you got was old and has been on the shelf too long, a problem that seems all too common with black opal's products) they go on really smooth. That being said I think these are really good. I have two one in copper tone and the other in caramel mousse. Both go on smoothly and have a slight smell that really isn't that bad. I would buy these again because they are fairly cheap and are easy to use.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/25/2003 4:01:00 AM More reviews by tashamichelle

BOO!! I wanted luscious and lovely and I ended up with gritty and gross. I have this in nude scene and it's fabo! Copper tone which is getting reviewed is this gritty, poor pigmented, dry gloss! What a contradiction right?! Dry gloss!!!! But it's true! i had to slather about 6 applications just to get it true to color. What a joke. Will I buy black opal again? Yes! This color? Hell no!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2003 11:20:00 AM More reviews by Kleines

My personal experience with this product has been overwhelmingly positive. I have the shade "Red Intensity" and it looks incredibly beautiful on my Asian/olive skin (I'm a nut for finding the perfect glam red.) After trying it on in natural sunlight at home, it looked so good I had to force myself to wipe it off (I was about to leap into the shower.) I was a bit puzzled at first by the wand, which takes up very little product, but this stuff is SO richly pigmented that a little goes a long way. The finish is incredibly opaque and the finish really is like patent leather. Great staying power as well! As for all the varying comments about the smell, mine had the fragrance of chocolate frosting (and the texture as well.) VERY pleased.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2003 4:25:00 PM More reviews by stilettoheel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this is Nude Scene, which is a perfect light shade for me! And I got it at a discount store, so I only paid 2 bucks for it, plus it smells really good! I'd recommend it to people with olive skin tones.