October 25, 2014 | 1000 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - luminous color glaze in brilliant brunette

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by carolmaria

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Great product. Like the just-previous poster, my hair's been brittle and not taking dye very well recently. Some loss, as well. The texture is very fine and porous. That said, I like it as thick and healthy looking as possible. My hair sucked it right up, with little rinse-out. Now it's glossy, manageable, with a great rich sheen. Almost feels like someone else's hair! But, I get to enjoy it!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Skeptigal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My once super thick and unbreakable hair no longer picked up perm dye after menopause. My reddish brown hair became a mousy dry mop streaked with gray. The last few dye jobs had , damaged the cuticle leaving my hair gummy when wet. So much $$$ wasted on stuff that left greasy hair. I tried Brilliant Brunette glaze. The color and moisture deposit started immediately and built up over time. I now use it twice a week and the difference is amazing. Although my hair feels gummy when wet, it looks fantastic when dry. The color glaze leaves a few natural looking grays and turns the mousy hair brown while bringing out red highlights. My hair has never been this smooth and shiny, it really gets a lot of second looks. I've notice the most positive reviews seem to be from people with damaged or dry hair. I'm going to try to use it instead of perm dye. I can tweak the color or moisture content by varying the amount of glaze or conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've got dyed darkest brown hair with my roots slightly lighter but not noticeably so. I have greys so use a permanent colour roughly every six weeks but also do my roots and refresh the colour when I need to with a semi permanent as my hair grows quickly so my greys are always showing unless I'm vigilant. I've recently added a colour deposit shampoo to my regime two or three times a week and figured the John Frieda glaze might also help keep my colour vibrant. I mix it with my usual conditioner as this makes applying it easier as it's quite jelly-like otherwise, and work it through the length of my hair but concentrate mainly on the roots. It's all helping; the colour is rich and vibrant and even though my hair sometimes looks almost black on the ends I can see they take on a subtle but rich dark brown hue (if that makes sense) when I use this product. It's messy so not perfect but I find mixing it with conditioner and leaving on for five minutes the best way to apply it. I want to try L'Oreal Chroma next for a more dramatic colour boost; maybe Mahogany or a purplish shade.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2014 8:34:00 AM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I have been using this for many years now, since it came out so its an HG for me. So much to say about this!

My hair color is a never ending, color changing of black-light brown of various tones. Whatever color I have, this glaze gives me a boost. This is a shining treatment while giving the hair a tint of warm dark brown hair color. The color is sheer and the longer you leave it on your hair, the more intense and darker it becomes. You are supposed to get as much water out as your can and apply this. I have even applied this DRY and I got more intense results. Once a week should be good. The result is fabulous. I cannot rave how nice my color and shine in my hair looks. I am always receiving compliments on my long brown hair. My hair color is so rich, more depth, and shiny, just like brown hair should be. The color is not permanent.

One thing I absolutely HATE with this glaze/glossing is the application. Your hands will turn brown!! I must scrub and scrub to get it off. Gloves are recommended. I wish this came in a bigger size, I have long thick hair and I go through this quickly so I buy 2 at a time. This glaze will not make the hair healthier, I actually dont like the texture of my hair afterwards. Its kind of dry....This is not the cheapest buy not expensive as if going to a salon so this saves me money.

If you had black-medium brown hair you will LOVE this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Fancychic55055

I personally had great success with this product. Since I have dark brown hair dyed to a 6rb I thought why not try it! Might get me through to the next hair appointment & let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised. Turned out better than expected. I'm not sure why everyone says it smells bad because to me mine smells like coconuts? Not chemicals. Didn't dry my hair out & was totally suggested by my hair stylist.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't believe this is a product that is going to make your hair a healthier condition. I found it to be slightly drying like most glossing and hair dyes are. So, I wouldn't use it as often as the box says. That said, I used it for the first time last week and my hair still looks fantastic. It made it shinier and smoother and I had fewer frizz and fly-aways. I didn't really expect anything in the way of color but it warmed up and deepened my dark brown hair just enough to flatter my skin tone but not so much that anyone is going to comment that I dyed my hair. I usually like gloss products ok for use before an event I want to look extra nice for but this is now my favorite due to the way it bumps up my color

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Luminous. Color. Glaze.

these are three words I would not use to describe this product.

Admittedly, at first I was a skeptic, bc I am very particular about what I put on my already fine/fragile hair, but after reading decent reviews all over the internet about this product I decided to give it a go.

My goals:
-I have about 12 gray hairs on my head. I hate them, but I'm hesitant to dye my hair bc like I said it is fine and fragile.
-I have a desire to make my hair shinier and more maneagable. always a nice goal, lol
-I would like to add some texture to the hair, by coating or "glazing". Hence the glaze part.

For me this product succeeded in literally NONE of those three tasks. The product immediately dries out your hair the second it touches it, which makes it realllllllyyy difficult to work through the hair.
And even though it is more mild than hair dye, if I leave it in for more than the 3 mins it states on the bottle, I definitely get an irritated feeling.

It's a pain in the butt to wash out, and once it is finally all washed out- Voila! my hair is frizzy straw. What "glaze" is supposed to make hair drier??

This glaze makes products less effective, my hair is now harder to style... which is exponentially more annoying bc it is damaged *because* of the glaze itself....

To be fair, I waited until half the bottle was finished before writing this review... just to make sure there wasn't some sort of miraculous effect that was just lost on me at first. Nope! This product works like butt.

It also leaves your hair smelling like box dye.

And grays? What gr---- oh wait nevermind. they're still there..

Did I mention is isn't cheap? I think I paid like $11. A salon glaze would cost like 20 or 30 :(

I guess I learned my lesson-

This was a definite loser for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dyeing my hair various shades of medium to dark brown for several years now, and I bought this glaze to combat the brassiness that shows up after a few weeks of dyeing. It works very well for that, I like it a lot! I've been using it once or twice a week, in the last few weeks leading up to my needing to completely re-dye my hair. The brassiness is toned down significantly, my hair looks rich and shiny. I've been getting compliments on how nice my color looks.
The one reason this gets a 4 rather than a 5 is that it takes a lot of product to completely saturate my hair. Granted, my hair texture is fine but there's a lot of it on my head, and I have shoulder-length hair currently, but I use about 1/6 or so of the bottle each time. When you consider the cost of using this much product vs. results, it's somewhat impractical. I think this would be a great choice for someone growing out their color but I'm on the fence for myself. However it works exactly the way it should, and beautifully, it's a great product.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Hawaiianlocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Works great does what it's supposed to. Must be used with heat. Smells bad like tinted lotion. I'm going to get the clear glaze next time

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Akdownin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this product is AMAZING.

The only way you couldn't love this product is if you had the wrong expectations from it. This product WILL NOT give your hair the same effect that dying it would. That being said, as someone who has dyed their hair for 7 years now, this product is truly a staple for every girl that wants to maintain a dark brown hair color. My hair color is naturally light golden brown so a few weeks after dying my hair it ALWAYS gets brassy. I've even gotten so frustrated with it that after paying $300+ to get my hair dyed and highlighted, I bought a $7 box of hair dye to cover it up, which just left my hair looking flat and too dark. This product is amazing because it is basically an at home toner. It will take the brassiness out of highlights/ color without covering them up! It basically makes your hair a richer color while leaving all of its dimensions. Also, it says to shampoo, condition, and then use the product. However, I found that after rinsing the product out my hair was tangled so I prefer to shampoo, use the glaze, wait 10 minutes, and then condition it. Hair is shinier, less brassy, and all around richer. Like I said, if you want a drastic difference, do not expect that from this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No