April 21, 2014 | 1897 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - luminous color glaze in brilliant brunette

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by Fancychic55055

I personally had great success with this product. Since I have dark brown hair dyed to a 6rb I thought why not try it! Might get me through to the next hair appointment & let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised. Turned out better than expected. I'm not sure why everyone says it smells bad because to me mine smells like coconuts? Not chemicals. Didn't dry my hair out & was totally suggested by my hair stylist.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2013 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Lydia07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't believe this is a product that is going to make your hair a healthier condition. I found it to be slightly drying like most glossing and hair dyes are. So, I wouldn't use it as often as the box says. That said, I used it for the first time last week and my hair still looks fantastic. It made it shinier and smoother and I had fewer frizz and fly-aways. I didn't really expect anything in the way of color but it warmed up and deepened my dark brown hair just enough to flatter my skin tone but not so much that anyone is going to comment that I dyed my hair. I usually like gloss products ok for use before an event I want to look extra nice for but this is now my favorite due to the way it bumps up my color

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Luminous. Color. Glaze.

these are three words I would not use to describe this product.

Admittedly, at first I was a skeptic, bc I am very particular about what I put on my already fine/fragile hair, but after reading decent reviews all over the internet about this product I decided to give it a go.

My goals:
-I have about 12 gray hairs on my head. I hate them, but I'm hesitant to dye my hair bc like I said it is fine and fragile.
-I have a desire to make my hair shinier and more maneagable. always a nice goal, lol
-I would like to add some texture to the hair, by coating or "glazing". Hence the glaze part.

For me this product succeeded in literally NONE of those three tasks. The product immediately dries out your hair the second it touches it, which makes it realllllllyyy difficult to work through the hair.
And even though it is more mild than hair dye, if I leave it in for more than the 3 mins it states on the bottle, I definitely get an irritated feeling.

It's a pain in the butt to wash out, and once it is finally all washed out- Voila! my hair is frizzy straw. What "glaze" is supposed to make hair drier??

This glaze makes products less effective, my hair is now harder to style... which is exponentially more annoying bc it is damaged *because* of the glaze itself....

To be fair, I waited until half the bottle was finished before writing this review... just to make sure there wasn't some sort of miraculous effect that was just lost on me at first. Nope! This product works like butt.

It also leaves your hair smelling like box dye.

And grays? What gr---- oh wait nevermind. they're still there..

Did I mention is isn't cheap? I think I paid like $11. A salon glaze would cost like 20 or 30 :(

I guess I learned my lesson-

This was a definite loser for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been dyeing my hair various shades of medium to dark brown for several years now, and I bought this glaze to combat the brassiness that shows up after a few weeks of dyeing. It works very well for that, I like it a lot! I've been using it once or twice a week, in the last few weeks leading up to my needing to completely re-dye my hair. The brassiness is toned down significantly, my hair looks rich and shiny. I've been getting compliments on how nice my color looks.
The one reason this gets a 4 rather than a 5 is that it takes a lot of product to completely saturate my hair. Granted, my hair texture is fine but there's a lot of it on my head, and I have shoulder-length hair currently, but I use about 1/6 or so of the bottle each time. When you consider the cost of using this much product vs. results, it's somewhat impractical. I think this would be a great choice for someone growing out their color but I'm on the fence for myself. However it works exactly the way it should, and beautifully, it's a great product.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Hawaiianlocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Works great does what it's supposed to. Must be used with heat. Smells bad like tinted lotion. I'm going to get the clear glaze next time

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Akdownin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this product is AMAZING.

The only way you couldn't love this product is if you had the wrong expectations from it. This product WILL NOT give your hair the same effect that dying it would. That being said, as someone who has dyed their hair for 7 years now, this product is truly a staple for every girl that wants to maintain a dark brown hair color. My hair color is naturally light golden brown so a few weeks after dying my hair it ALWAYS gets brassy. I've even gotten so frustrated with it that after paying $300+ to get my hair dyed and highlighted, I bought a $7 box of hair dye to cover it up, which just left my hair looking flat and too dark. This product is amazing because it is basically an at home toner. It will take the brassiness out of highlights/ color without covering them up! It basically makes your hair a richer color while leaving all of its dimensions. Also, it says to shampoo, condition, and then use the product. However, I found that after rinsing the product out my hair was tangled so I prefer to shampoo, use the glaze, wait 10 minutes, and then condition it. Hair is shinier, less brassy, and all around richer. Like I said, if you want a drastic difference, do not expect that from this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by seagoddess35

i like this to give my hair a bit of oommph. i think it dioes keep my color a bit fresher longer. smells good to me and adds nice shine. i do use it several times a week. more you use it, the more it works.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 9:22:00 AM More reviews by lisatip

Used this morning for the first time and I love the way my hair turned out after blow dry. It is so smooth and soft, compared to the normal puffed out frizzy way it normally turns, even after using smoothing products. I used it as the instructions stated, which were to shampoo AND condition, rinse and smooth/pull water out as much as possible and then apply from roots to ends. Rinse off hands with soap and water. Leave on 3 minutes and rinse while finishing up with shower. I used no additional styling products, just blow dry and brush. LOVE IT.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2011 4:15:00 PM More reviews by xmakemeoverx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to buy a color glaze because my hair tends to look dull, since I dye it so much. Also, my hair is on the drier side, so using a glaze would soften it a bit. I was trying to decide between the brunette color glaze or the clear one, but I chose the brunette since my hair is technically brown (red-brown, but close enough) and it would only deepen the tones of my hair. It's very easy to use. All you do is shampoo and condition your hair, then once you're done, put the glaze in, It's very gentle, doesn't stain, and you only need to keep it in for a minimum of three minutes. Then you just wash it out and you're all done. At first, I wondered if it was helping my hair because the first couple times I used it, it made my hair look greasy, rather than glossy and shiny, but after using it for a couple of weeks, I can tell you that I have seen some improvement with the texture of my hair. It's much softer when it's drying and also makes my hair appear healthy and shiny, without losing any of the depth of my hair color. It's not super cheap, but they do have deals on this product (which is what happened when I bought it at CVS) and also you only need to use a small amount (for me it's a dime size, since I have short hair, but it's probably more so for longer hair) to get the results you want, so it lasts a long time. I'd say give it a shot. It's not too intimidating for people who don't dye their hair or people who dye their hair strictly at a salon and if it doesn't work for you, then you can always return it. What do you have to lose?

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was so excited to try this when I bought the Chestnut to Espresso glaze. However, it did not live up to expectations.

Not sure what specific ingredient is at fault, but my scalp burned like crazy while I had the product on and then continued to itch for days afterwards. After three separate attempts, I took it back for a refund.

As others have noted, it stains both hands and scalp. The hands are easy to clean with soap, but the scalp staining requires a shampoo to be rid of it.

This product does work in staining the hair and can be helpful for camoflauging grays or counteracting hair dye fade. However, I think a non-permanent dye, like Clairol Beautiful, will work just as effectively and provide better coverage and more color options...and at less cost and no scalp irritation.