August 31, 2014 | 1585 users online

Moisturizers - NARS - Brightening Serum

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2012 10:44:00 PM More reviews by BoandChica2

To the gal who said she broke out, I was wondering if this was the culprit. So far, only one mild pimple so I will continue using this as it makes my uneven-toned skin look so soft and supple. I'm 46 so I love what it does. And like another person said, the skin under my eyes looks great! I don't have to use a separate eye cream. Even tho the packaging is very chic, I don't buy expensive skin treatments for how the bottle looks! Seriously, I think even Simon Cowell would say the packaging is a bit "self indulgent" :) The serum is only 2oz, most of the cost is for the packaging. C'mon Nars, really? As long as I don't break out more then I will definitely repurchase!*****UPDATE**** 6/6/12 This has been sitting in my cabinet for awhile now. Really not sure what happened but this just became so-so for me. Can't say I'd buy it again. Not sure all that talc in the product was good for my skin. Back to the drawing board....****UPDATE**** 9/29/12 Was using it just under my eyes and all was ok until I started using all over my face. I broke out (again) and had a burning, itching feeling. I'm done with this....really :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2011 5:08:00 PM More reviews by xtinahb

A beautiful product that provides light moisture and a soft glow. They call it a, "serum," but it's really just a moisturizer with very light iridiscence and some antioxidant qualities, but not significant, according to my Nars MUA. I have combo C4/NC30 skin and it is not rich enough for my dry cheeks / chin for daily AM use in the Fall or Winter, but I love adding it to my foundations all year round. It softens the "made up" foundation look and really adds a radiance. I also use this serum as my sole moisturizer if I am going out at night, since it gives my skin extra oomph and I want a lighter moisturizer when I go out and expect to get a little shiny :) No shimmer here, just glowy radiance! And the packaging, while heavy, is beautiful, sturdy, and elegant and I love seeing it on my shelf! Will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2011 6:47:00 AM More reviews by Scazza

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

So the other day I woke up looking a bit like the Grinch. My skin was dull, uneven, circles under my eyes. After a mud mask I applied the NARS Brightening Serum without any other moisturizer. A bit later I checked myself in the mirror and really couldn't believe it, my circles completely disappeared. My skin looked even without any additional makeup. I kept checking as it seemed mysterious and wonderful. I felt very French, with even skin and no makeup!

I won't say that happens every day, but there is something magical about this product. It comes in a sculptural, sturdy cube, with a locking pump that doesn't leave you with any more product than you need. Though the bottle is glass which makes me afraid of breaking it; it's also v heavy. It's lightly moisturizing and easily layered. The product immediately softens your skin leaving it that way through to the end of the day, but you have to make sure you put enough on. It has very fine pink opalescence that gives a rosy glow. Not as much shimmer as an illuminator, but a more subtle effect rather than in a makeup product. The drawback is that it's quite expensive so I hesitate to use it every day, yet the bottle is supposed to last a year. The expense is the only drawback; I don't think a product's price should make you scared to use it and run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by knicks

For reference, I have combination dry skin and very prone to breakouts. I went to Nars just to seriously check out the eyeshadows, the MA approached me in trying to sell me the brightening serum which I have no intention on buying or even planned to waste my money on. Actually, I should thank her and glad that I brought it. It really brightens up my face. I have comments from my colleagues at work that I look so fresh. In addition to that, I really made good use with it. I mixed a tiny bit with my concealer cos I use creme concealer and it can be very patchy on my face if use alone. I honestly can tell you that it blends much easier and the coverage is great if you dip a little serum with the concealer on the back of your hands. I would definitely buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2010 2:04:00 PM More reviews by hulmerac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Loved the idea of this. Unfortunately it gave me major breakouts on my normally clear skin, every time I tried to use it. Waste of my hard earned dollars!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2010 7:45:00 AM More reviews by Pendoline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Fabulous product. It is slightly irridescent, and can be used all over the face, mixed with foundation or just used as a highlighter.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/2/2010 2:28:00 AM More reviews by calgrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this when I went for a NARs makeover and they put it under my foundation and I loved the glow and my pics looked amazing. The pump broke unfortunately and I had to return it and get a new one. Then I ended up with break outs all over my face which is always clear. Plus in reading the ingredients I realized none of them do anything for brightening one's skin and this is just a cosmetic product. I think you can get the same glow from MAC strobe cream- so back to the store this product goes.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2010 5:27:00 PM More reviews by judithwong

Unfortunately everything is more expensive in Canada. Bought it at ~$100 CDN and it's great and all but I can't say it's worth that price. I bought my second bottle in Hong Kong for half the price!! That was awesome. This creme gives very tiny specs of gold dust on your skin. I've tried to switch over to shisheido since the companies are related, but it just wasn't the same.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2010 6:38:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

ETA 12/13/2010 - After using this a few months, I have to say this moisturizer is nothing special. It doesn't "brighten" my complexion at all, unless you count the opalescence of the lotion itself, that lends a weird whitish cast to my face in photographs. I was misled by the name "brightening serum" to think that it would lighten dark spots, which it does not (at least not on me). So I had to update my review and I would NOT repurchase this.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: I was happy to discover that this Nars skincare item is made by Shiseido for Nars, and like other Shiseido skincare, it works well with my combo skin. This serum is more like a rich lotion that absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves the skin feeling hydrated and plump. Very lightly scented and I can cover my face with a little over one pump. Wears well under makeup, although I usually let it dry, apply my sunscreen (Olay Complete) then apply foundation (Nars Sheer Matte).

As a moisturizer, I love this. As a skin treatment product, I don't notice any brightening in my skintone, so I can't recommend it for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by nordhimmel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This was a hand me down from my sister who has extremely oily skin. It made her break out so if you are an oily gal, this might not work for you. I have combo skin and I didn't have this problem so just an fyi. Now on to the review... Using any NARS product is a real splurge for me and at $61 for 2.5 oz., I have no hope of ever repurchasing this. I'm always very skeptical of any miracle claims made by a product and I was wishy washy about the so-called benefits of this one until I was in a rush one morning and forgot to put this on under my makeup. I peeked at myself in my car mirror and was really shocked at how different my face looked. The next morning I remembered to use the serum and my skin was much more hydrated with less fine lines appearing. I looked more awake and my skin had more of a glow to it than the previous day. I'm at that age where I must moisturize before I put on my makeup or I'll end up looking older and more tired during the day, but this product is better than your average moisturizer. The illuminating quality is very subtle but it helped my skin a lot. I used this daily for about five and a half months so you get a lot of product. I'm not a fan of the packaging though, and the price is crazy. Otherwise I easily would repurchase. I'll be trying other moisturizers in the meantime to really see if this one was that special or if its more hype. If you can afford, by all means, try it.