August 28, 2014 | 1812 users online

Lotions/ Creams - LUSH - Helping Hands

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2014 5:43:00 PM More reviews by mscourty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

One of my favourite skin care products ever! Rather than the pot I got a bottle with a pump on the top. With this and the 45g size it's perfect for work. I have to use alcohol based hand sanitizer a lot which is really drying. Using this afterwards has gotten my skin into much better condition.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 12:14:00 AM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been wanting to try this product for a long time and I have to say, I'm really disappointed. I wash my hands a lot and in the Idaho winters they get painfully uncomfortably dry. But this product was just mediocre. It's more moisturizing than nothing but it's no better than any average drugstore hand cream. It smells weird, it's greasy, it's expensive... For me, it's not a winner. It's not that it's a bad product, just a mediocre one. I will not be buying this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/28/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by MissTaDa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So disappointed! I normally LOVE lush products but this hamdcream was completely lost on me. I'm the exact demographic for this cream being a hand washing addict & was assured by the sales assistant that the cream would fix (at least moisturize) my dried out scaly spots & calm the general red, distressed skin on my hands. It didn't.
The cream doesn't feel overly special when applying it.....too little & your hands don't feel like they've been touched by moisturiser, too much & you end up an greasy/almost sticky mess!
I use this as a nighttime handcream & admit that maybe if I used it more frequently during the day I'd have better results, however the packaging limits its use.....carting around a tub in my handbag or opening a tub everytime I was my hands (which is a lot!) is just not practicle.
I also didn't care for the smell.....would it have killed them to put some lavender essential oil in there?
Although I wouldn't recommend this product, it's good enough that I'll use it up instead of chucking it, after all, it didn't make my hands worse so there's no need for such drama AND I will be trying another lush handcream after this to see if they do have a formulation that suits me because generally, they're products exceed expectations.
Hope this helps xx

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 11:47:00 PM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm updating this review after having used this product regularly for a while now on both my hands and my feet. Short version: smells a little weird but doesn't linger, does wonders for my dry skin, cuticles, and feet. It's even improving the appearance of the starting-to-get-crepey skin on the back of my hands (i.e., the dreaded "old lady hands"). I'm pretty impressed, and I'll most definitely buy this again and again.

This is a very rich, thick cream. It's heavy and somewhat oily/greasy when you first apply it, and you don't need very much. If you don't like heavy creams, you probably won't like this, though I found that it does sink in fairly quickly (that may depend on your skin type; my skin is very dry and fairly thin and I'm starting to get "old lady hands" which is why I've been working hard to find good moisturisers to help combat that a little).

This is designed for people with very dry skin, such as people who wash their hands frequently. If you don't need a really heavy duty moisturiser, you may find this too heavy (but my dry skin loves it).

The scent is... well, it's kinda weird, especially when you smell it in the tub. It's mostly camomile (which is also supposed to be healing/soothing for the skin), but also apparently contains lavender and marigold oil (again, this is a healing/soothing oil), and it's not the most pleasant floral scent in the world (in fact, my first thought was that it reminded me of yeasty beer!), BUT the scent dissipates pretty quickly and you're left with just a faint camomile and slightly waxy smell that isn't particularly objectionable nor very strong. If you really hate camomile and/or marigold, you might be pretty put off by this, but I didn't find the scent very lingering at all, and I don't mind camomile (though, I admit, I'm not crazy about marigold). The lavender is so faint that I can't really clearly detect it, and certainly not once the scent dissipates.

Ingredients include linseend and almond oil, and a healthy portion of glycerine, plus cocoa butter and shea butter amongst other ingredients (which you can read for yourself on the Lush website). I was surprised to see that there is no wax of any sort (not even jojoba, which is actually a plant wax rather than an oil), because the cream leaves a lingering layer on the skin (not terribly greasy once it all sinks in, but I do notice it). I suspect that's the glycerine at work, as glycerine is a humectant (that is, it draws moisture). I suspect that some people who feel this is oily or greasy are actually reacting not to the actual oils, but to the glycerine (though if you don't have very dry skin, or the particular oils/butters in this don't work well with your skin, you will have oil/butter on the skin for a while).

I also have tried using this on my feet, and so far, I have to say it's doing a startlingly good job, probably better than anything else I've tried (though I do use a liquid cuticle remover for the hardened and built-up skin around my toenails; this is my "every night before bed" treatment and it definitely helps).

I would recommend that before buying this, you get into Lush and get a sample, if that's at all possible, but if it's not, consider how much moisturising you need, and if the answer is not "quite a lot", then go for something a little lighter. If, however, you have really dry skin, you wash your hands frequently, you get chapped skin for various reasons, you want a really thick moisturiser to use overnight, or something along those lines, this is a really good choice. I think this would also be an excellent choice as a cuticle treatment, particularly if you don't like Lemony Flutter.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2013 6:43:00 AM More reviews by honeysighs

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this hand cream after trying every lotion/moisturiser/cream under the sun. I have extremely sore and irritating eczema on my hands from my job (hairdresser) So I tried Helping Hands (I am a Lush addict and have been eyeing it off for a while now)
I apply a generous amount to my hands every hour or so when I am working and it has made such a wonderful difference! - It has drastically reduced the redness, the dryness and the irritation..They're actually soft now. It doesn't take long at all to soak into the skin and the smell doesn't linger (which is somewhat a relief because it isn't the most pleasant smell, but it isn't horrendous)
I will be repurchasing the bigger tub when I run out of this, and I recommend this strongly to anyone whose hands spend a lot of time in water (especially hairdressers, nurses etc) you won't be disappointed.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2013 8:01:00 AM More reviews by Nandana

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Now one day in Lush I saw this stuff and it was quite new then. The woman in Lush was doing a demo on my friend's hands and I liked how it felt. I dint quite like the smell but I liked how soft her hands felt and bought a tub. Used it for a while now and I absolutely hate it. It smells weird now. It doesn't moisturise or anything...its just a coat. Even my friend hates it now. It really smells horrible. I'll stick to my favourites...Soap & Glory hand food and Flexitol. Oh btw if anyone hasn't tried Flexitol hand balm, YOU SHOULD! Its amazing. Its packaging might not be very attractive but dont get fooled. Flexitol so creamy, so moisturising and smells amazzzzing!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by lushyluxe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This tacky hand cream does not work. It smells terrible too. Its a miss.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by spinacha

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I didn't get good results from this hand cream. It went on very greasy and it took forever to absorb. Similar to what other reviewers have described, the lotion sat on top of my skin.

When the lotion finally did absorb, my hands felt no different there was no improvement, but also no worsening. It did nothing.

The lotion comes in a tub with a screw top. The packaging is air tight, which helps keep the product fresh; however, the fact that you have to dip your hands directly into the product can be a sanitary concern for some. The product packaging is made of a hard material, which is resistant to breaking or cracking.

The scent was okay. Not sure how to describe it - it has a very light scent and not anything overwhelming.

I won't repurchase this product, simply because it did nothing for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2013 7:13:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my new go-to hand moisturizer. I wash my hands a lot and this cream was made with people like me in mind. After using this just once my hands felt better, not so dry and cracked. I use this on my hands at bedtime and wake up with soft, moisturized hands. The cost is a bit steep, at $18.95 UDS for 3.5 oz. however, a little goes a long way, so you can give this a shot and have it last a long time!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2012 1:42:00 PM More reviews by spontmercy

Lush's Helping Hands is a semi-thick, dusty-pink tinted hand cream. It doesn't really sink in too well even on my parched hands, just kind of sits there and leaves a greasy residue. But what really ruins it for me is the smell. I'm not typically too picky about fragrances but this cream kind of smells like puke to me. Lush products are always hit or miss with me, and this one's definitely a miss.

A much cheaper and more effective alternative that I recommend is Avon's Moisture Therapy hand cream.