September 22, 2014 | 1572 users online

Self Tanners - Shiseido - Brilliant Bronze Quick Self-Tanning Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by utilizer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I fell in love with this self-tanner the first time I used it, I even went and bought the second bottle the next day. However, as to other reviewers, it wasn‘t quite the same, when I used it second or third time, although I followed the self-tanning rules (exfoliating, moisturising etc.). The colour is beautiful, but it does leave streaks, because it dries so fast and you can‘t really see where you put it. It isn‘t that bad, but I will probably try something else when I finish the bottles. Also, it doesn‘t feel very nice on my face and gives an oily sheen to the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2014 8:35:00 PM More reviews by invisiblemonstar

I've been using this tanner for a while and have bought back ups for it, because overall I'm very pleased with it!
The cons that I've found for this tanner are few, but they are something to keep in mind if you're on the fence.
CONS:
-Like most tanners, the packaging is opaque, meaning that you have no idea when you're running out of product, other than guessing that it feels a little bit lighter. It kind of sucks when you've gone over one leg and then can only put half as much product on the other because you didn't know you were that close to running out. But that's pretty much true with all tanners, not just this one.
-There isn't a tint or anything, so if you need one in order to know where you've applied it, that might be a problem.
-The tanner itself is pretty sticky, and that can feel pretty strange, so if you're someone who's very texture oriented, this might not be for you.
-It can get a little patchy as it comes off, but again that's just a risk of self tanning.
-It does have a self tan smell.

That all being said, I think that the pros of this product far outweigh the cons.
PROS:
-It dries really fast. It might feel sticky for a while, but it won't come of on clothes or bedding.
-The smell doesn't linger for too long! I apply at night and when I wake up I can't smell it.
-It doesn't steak at all when applied with a mitt.
-The gel consistency makes the product super easy to control
-The color you get is a very nice nutty brown color- it's not orange at all! It might not be SUPER dark upon first application, but you can build it up pretty easily to your desired color.
-The packaging is not messy at all. You won't get tan everywhere on accident, and you can lock the nozzle after each use.

Just remember that, like all tanners, it can make your skin really dry- so make sure to apply a lotion after it dries!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2013 2:10:00 PM More reviews by MichelleChambers

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really love this self tanner. It goes on as a very smooth, very light gel. The best part, it dries in less than a few seconds! I know that's hard to believe but it's true. The smell is light and fresh as well.

If this tanner has any downside, it's the fact that the color isn't very dark-- this one definitely falls in that "light-to-medium" range. It's also a little bit sticky; which is kind of uncomfortable.

But if you're looking for a little glow, this is a great product :)

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2009 9:48:00 PM More reviews by Sakuraharu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a wonderful tanner, I've used it for years. If you don't mind to use it at night.

The tricks of applying it are as follows:
a)Use at night before bed, it will not stain your sheets
b)in the shower use a loofa to *gently* exfoliate your legs(especially ankles), or area or application. Make sure to do for minute or 2 each leg.
c)When you are dry and out of the steam, mix equal parts gel with a light moisturizer. Apply a thin coat. Use sparingly on knees and ankles.

I think the bottle is ugly, but besides that it's ok.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2009 11:18:00 AM More reviews by Susan425

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Expensive, sticky, doesn't give much color. I've tried many different brands and this is the first self tanner I've bought that I threw out the bottle before using it all up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2009 4:45:00 AM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Other reviewers are right, this is very sticky.
The fragrance is bearable and not the worst I've smelt

What is annoying is that it is extremely light, after 2 applications I can barely see it on my skin and everytime I place my knees together, they stick!

I am not someone who likes a heavy, orange tan. I like something lightly bronzed but this is too much bother. The only good thing that I can say is that the shade is an extremely light nutty colour and doesnt have a fake tan look to it.

Edit: This is darker than I first thought, it just takes hours to develop properly. That the good news, the bad is that it looks orangey after the first layer and if you scratch your skin, it takes off the self tanner. Not an indication of a good tanner. I consider myself to be a whiz at applying tanner with latex gloves and making it look natural however I have a streak on my foot that I'm going to have to scrub at. My review remains at 2 out of 5

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by TanAndMadeUp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this self-tanner because it dries so quickly and gives me the faux color that I crave in the summer months! It does not seem to sweat off or stain my sheets. I have very pinkish skin and don't want a self-tanner to make me turn too red or too orange. The color that it gives me is a dewy brown, so it corrects the pinkness of my skin and makes me look much darker. Is not runny or streaky. Make sure to exfoliate once or twice a week and to moisturize daily when using this product!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/11/2008 5:32:00 PM More reviews by everfallen

I first bought this in light based on the recommendation of the sales associate. I have since gone back and bought a 2nd bottle in medium. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:
This does not come out orange on me (both light and medium). It might come out differently on different skin tones. I am Asian with medium skin. It's fairly easy to apply, especially the light, which is almost impossible to mess up. You have to be more careful with the medium. If you work on rubbing it in evenly, you should not experience any streaks or spots. It dries in 15min as stated on the bottle. I can sleep on white sheets without it rubbing off. It gives you color very fast. I put this on at night after I shower, and I am tanned when I wake up the second morning. The light gives me pretty good color with 2 applications. The medium only takes 1 (but the light is harder to mess up).

Cons:
I am not a fan of the fake tan smell, but I can deal with it. It does go away if you shower the 2nd morning. The gel feels a bit sticky, even after it dries. Again, that goes away after a shower. At $28 a bottle, the price is also not cheap. You have to wear gloves to apply or you will have funny looking palms. It will not wash away with soap and water.

Conclusion:
I wish this stuff didnt smell, wasn't sticky, and had drug store prices. But the bottom line is that it works. Until I find something better, I will stick to this.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/2/2008 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Lala201

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This self tanner is a waste of money!! I have pretty fair skin and this did show color on my skin, but the color was orangey and barely any darker at all. It cost me 28 dollars and was in no way worth that amount of money! The only thing that this product had going for it was that it was very easy to apply because of the gel consistency. I actually used it day after day for about a week just to see if the color could add up to a medium tan, I wasn't expecting bronzed goddess, as the deepest shade was medium, but I had barely a light orange-ish tan after a week of applying it!!! I will not be repurchasing and have found many other tanners including drugstore brands that are, on a scale, just as good to amazingly better!!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2007 1:26:00 PM More reviews by azn_babay_kat

I intended to buy L'oreal Sublime Bronze, but it retails for $18 at the drugstore, EEK! no thanks, for a little bit more, I could get something better like Lancome. However, Lancome was out of stock of the one I wanted, so I decided to try something that is not very well known, but indeed from one of my fave skincare brands - shiseido. It retails for $32CDN, which is pretty reasonable pricing.

It comes in a sanitary pump bottle, yay, no more brown nasty dried up sunless tanner on the bottom of the cap. The texture, surprisingly, is a *clear gel* with a thin texture, think the texture of hand sanitizers. Yes, it does have a pretty high alcohol content, but i looooove the way it feels on, it dries so very quickly, so i was able to do two layers in half an hour and be able to put on my clothes right away :D

It is somewhat drying though, so please make sure you moisturize well after the colour has developed. The colour is a nice light brown, i dont detect any orange in it at all, but the colur is rather light, as after two layers, I'm probably only a shade and a half darker. My skin tone is quite dark, though, (NC35), so it would probably work quite nice for people with lighter skin tones, and take more layers and effort for me.

I have no problem with streaking, it doesn't smell like flowers, but ALL sunless tanners have that crappy DHA smell anyway, so it's pretty much expected. I'm gonna keep this around to use on my face and to touch up on the days i dont feel like getting some sun.