Thierry Mugler Alien

3.7

on 8/9/2015 6:56:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

I have a massive perfume collection (100+) and a very wide range of tastes. Many people stick to one or two categories (white floral, oriental, gourmand, etc) but in my collection pretty much every category gets good representation with the exception of the floral aldehydes (ie, Chanel No.5).
Alien is one of my faves. There's nearly no point describing it because differing body chemistries give different results. However, overall this is a mix of fruit, musk, and flowers...a kind of grape-blackcurrant-jasmine-musk.
It is VERY long lasting in EDP and VERY rich, potent...do your family a favor and don't put any more than two sprays on.
It is not for shrinking violets or young pre-teens...it's very 'confident' and womanly. My husband is fond of it...he seems to be a fan of jasmine-y scents. I wore it to the tanning salon and the first thing the manager said when I stepped up to the counter was 'holy cow, you smell really, really good'.
Unlike its sister Angel, Alien is still unknown and complex enough that you're not gonna smell it on every fifth person. It really is a little bit 'alien', a strange, unique creation, be that for better or worse. This really is one of those that not everyone can be friends with. But don't you get tired of perfumes that smell like fifty-six others?
The bottle is beautiful and strange. Is it an otherworldly crystal? Alien talons holding a jewel? An alien egg of some kind? People who see it on your vanity will want to pick it up. Someone put a lot of thought into the design.
It is on the more expensive side, like Angel, for the amount you get, but well worth it because you need so little to make your statement.
Go test it in EDP and EDT ( you might find EDT more to your liking as it IS lighter and cheaper)but do let it develop before deciding.
Good luck!!

on 7/1/2015 11:29:00 AM

My favourite perfume I have been wearing this scene for over 7+ years, I love the scent it's very musky and mysterious. I have repurchased this a few times and have the refill bottle! It is on the expensive side but if you love it why not treat yourself.

on 5/23/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This perfume smells like it has many notes and it goes through several changes on the skin. I don't find what it settles into pleasing enough to repurchase, however. When I first spray it there is a burst of something nice but hard to describe. Once it hits the skin it smells like artificial grape and black pepper to me along with a floral scent. As it dries it becomes more floral and musky. It is a very strong fragrance and lasts long. It does not smell natural, as has been pointed out. I'm not a fan of most florals so I don't enjoy what it becomes eventually on the skin. To me it starts out interesting but becomes dull.

on 3/29/2015 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love it. So interesting and different. Definitely wouldn't work for everyone or every situation. Good staying power.

on 3/15/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the newest perfume in my collection and I absolutely love it. My body chemistry tends to work with a lot of different perfumes but this one grows to be such a sweet jasmine and Amber on my skin, it's lovely. The longevity is really nice and of course the pretty purple bottle is very pretty to put on your dressing table.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I was SO excited when I went to the perfume store to ask for a test sample of this perfume, for so many reasons. It is luxuriously expensive (more than $100 worth folks); the bottle is just SO gorgeous and goes perfectly with the name Alien; the commercial for this fragrance is so intriguing; everyone raves about it on YouTube, etc.
I think I am so dissapointed because I had such high expectations for this perfume. I expected a dark and alluring smell with something similar to vanilla or passion fruit notes or maybe a little bit of musk. Just something that would make me stop in my tracks and make me go like “whoah I need this scent in my life, right now", like the perfume Hypnose by Lancôme did, but it didn't. Instead this smells like straight up detergent. I was dissapointed beyond words. Great packaging and marketing techniques but the scent just leaves a lot to be desired. It is just “meh".

on 3/10/2015 8:57:00 PM

Love, love, love. I am just getting into fragrances, so far my faves have been bbw scents but walking around the Macy's perfume counter I just HAD to try......well Angel. I had heard so much about it but one whiff......nope it just smelled spicy. Then the strange little purple Alien bottle........I had heard of Alien before but wow........love at first sniff. I loved it on paper, went again and tested it on my skin and. DELICIOUS. The Jasmine is front and center but the Amber and woodsiness warm it up. It smells dark, sexy, and mystical. Unfortunately on me, the much touted longevity and spillage are not there.......my skin eats fragrences but a little def goes a long way. I had to have it. I should have known by just the purple bottle. It is my favorite color after all. I guess I must like white florals. It seems like what I gravitate to.

on 12/27/2014 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

I get that perfumes are a personal issue because you have to acknowledge that body chemistry plays a strong role and so do personal preferences. With that being said, I could probably douse myself with this perfume and my body chemistry would tone it down in an hour or maybe I am just exaggerating. Anyway I will repurchase it again.

on 12/19/2014 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this so much!! It's the perfume I always wear to go out at night, it's very sweet and sexy and different, I will definitely repurchase if I ever run out.

on 12/15/2014 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I tried this on a tester strip and fell in love. It was a blast of rude jasmine with some hairspray and grape around the edges. It really smelled like something from space. I tried it on my skin and it was like a completely different perfume. The jasmine lost its sluttiness and grew up into something drier and more austere and all this amber/vanilla warmth emerged out of nowhere to dominate the scent. As it developed, I realized that I had inadvertantly sprayed on the signature scent of my 60 year old aunt! She's extremely fashionable, but still. At that point I was done. This is a pleasant, agreeable warm glowy smell but it ended up being too mature for me. I could see revisiting this down the road because it is a lovely composition. My boyfriend hated it. He is a fan of vintage "old lady" fragrances on me but this is one falls in the uncanny valley of loud suburban mom smells.

Popular Fragrances