October 25, 2014 | 1107 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Shalimar

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by MES

This is a true classic, it's been around for nearly a century. In the past fragrances were much bolder than what is popular today. Initially this scent hits with a clove like incense note which quickly dissipates to a lingering powder note with a hint of vanilla. Staying power is excellent on this, even after 7 or 8 hours it's still there. The bottle is just beautiful, not something one would stash away in a cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 11:12:00 AM More reviews by jhenley

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is one of my signature scents. When I first apply it it in EDP, it doesn't smell that great. But if I wait 15-20 minutes, wow! It changes. It's this beautiful powdery amber vanilla that smells amazing! It really lasts too. What a classic! I have it in EDP, EDT, EDC, and the parfum! This is a great scent!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by nero77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Typical example of a fragrance that you need to let grow on you before you can fully appreciate it! Fist time I tried this... a very strong, very dirty, almost bitter vanillic leather aroma hit me and I found it quite pungent and almost overbearing. But after a few days, and other applications... I really had to agree with everyone here in that this is quite an elegantly made, beautifully blended, sophisticated fragrance, and I can see why many call this a masterpiece. There is not much more to add to what others have said, but I would say to first time users please give it a few tries on your skin and leave it the time it needs to fully appreciate it. Trust me, if you do this you will be rewarded, but be patient and you will see why so many people call this a masterpiece.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2014 6:14:00 PM More reviews by paisleypunk

I love vanilla, and was excited to try this after reading all the fuss about what a classic it is. But honestly... ugh! How does anyone smell vanilla in this? To me it smells exactly like baby powder... but ten times as potent. As a reviewer below noted, it does "settle down" after some time, but it's still way too strong (and I used only one spritz), and smells very little like how I expected it to. More old and powdery than gourmand and sexy.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by kieramai

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

There's a reason this perfume has been very popular for nearly a century. It's completely timeless, and really damn good. Sophisticated, sexy, glamorous, Shalimar is all of that. I'm a vanilla fiend, and the vanilla in this is delicious, but what completes it is the leather, incense and powdery notes. I don't find it to be so strong, I mean it certainly is stronger than a light floral perfume but it is nowhere near the bombs like Dior Poison. If you like perfumes like Dior Addict or Jean Paul Gaultier, this is kind of in that family- dark, sexy, elegant, vanilla based perfumes.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/9/2014 8:16:00 PM More reviews by McSwimmer

After reading all the endearing positive reviews of Shalimar (here and at other websites), I just had to smell it for myself. I went to Macy's just to try it. It's very strong. Overpowering for sure! A bottle would last you a lifetime! It was rather annoying after I sprayed a tiny bit on. It settled down about 4 hours later and wasn't too bad. But who wants to wait that long to get an acceptable scent? Not I. I do not smell much vanilla in this fragrance. I'm not sure what it smells like. It's a confusing scent. And it does seem old-fashioned. I won't be wearing this. It's OK at best and highly overrated in my opinion. I'm underwhelmed.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2013 4:34:00 PM More reviews by ryanhill

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While I do not have a bottle currently I will repurchase soon. I forgot about this classic until I came across someone wearing it the other day. It was as I remember quite intoxicating in a beautiful way. Soft but not subtle hints of vanilla just lovely

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by Anda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Of all the classic fragrances that hail from the Roaring '20s, Guerlain Shalimar and Chanel Bois des Iles are probably the only ones I reach for and would repurchase if I ever ran out, even though I don't wear them daily.

It actually took me a long time to "get" Shalimar, because the cool astringency of the bergamot, the powderiness of the incense, the animalic leather, and the smoky amber-vanilla tones felt like an olfactory clash to me for many years. But I've since learnt to apreciate its originality and complexity.

This to me is the scent equivalent of a "dark smoky eye". It's sultry, sexy, and just a little dirty. I personally like wearing this off-context on casual days, with comfy clothes and red lips.

How can any serious perfume collector not own a bottle?

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2013 10:45:00 PM More reviews by chernasy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Shalimar is so womanly and elegant. It is a meticulously groomed white Persian cat lounging on a maroon satin pillow. Luxurious, mysterious, beautiful and soft, quiet and endlessly alluring in that subtle come hither way.
The only perfume by which men make positive comments about my perfume. And some of them even know it's Shalimar!
An original that not too many women wear - and I'm thankful for that.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Bettyboo1969

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have heard of Shalimar for years but never smelt it or bought a bottle until recently.
It is beautiful and long lasting. Smells to me of Baby powder with a touch of Musk which I like. Definitely one of my favourites.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No