Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

This is a difficult one to review, since my mother and sister absolutely love this perfume!
I bought a small bottle, but really do not like the smell. It is very strong, think i will try again when i near my 40`s.

The Positive are, if you love the smell please go ahead and purchase. It last all day long.

Green, mossy, herbal, slightly sharp, floral and chypre. This is a fragrance I wish smelt good on me, but it doesn't.

I've lost count of the number of times I've smelt this on women whose body chemistry suited it and swooned. Right now, a friend of mine wears it as her signature fragrance and it smells fantastic on her. Every time she wears it I not only sniff the air but open my mouth and inhale the fragrance molecules as if I could eat it. It smells that good on her.

Alas on me it smells dry, sour, sharp, and generally off. Every time I wear it I smell as if I'm wearing a bottle that's gone bad. Alas, it's not the bottle, it's my body chemistry. I've been trying it every few years for nearly 30 years in the hope that as my body chemistry changed it would smell good on me, but it's not to be.

There are some fragrances that smell good on nearly everyone. There are some fragrances that are totally dependant on body chemistry. Aromatic Elixir is one of those. It has a bad reputation because so many people wear it when it doesn't suit their body chemistry. It used to be a gift with purchase addition to Clinique sets, so people who were totally unsuited to its mossy embrace would spray away with abandon and end up smelling like a combination of mothballs and cheap body spray.

Don't do it folks. Test a couple of times before purchasing, and if you ever get a bottle as gift with purchase give it to someone else if it does't suit you.

I have given it a 3 out of 5 because it is fantastic on the right person. It is also quite unisex. I've know several men who wear it with success.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Totally dated, old style. Smells like a vintage floral oriental perfume going gently off. That being said, there's something warmly sentimental and feminine about it, so if you like the old styles and that feeling of history, this is worth a spin. It's not the old style I go for, but it could be yours.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was a neo-hippie chick for a bit in the 90s. I know, I know. Life was patchouli oil, ylang ylang, burning nag champa and frankincense, DIY herbal tinctures, tea balls, Doc Martens, Tiger Balm, hiking trips in New England autumn, the whole shebang. AE, during the first hour, reminds me of those things, all rolled into one.
It's earthy, spicy, herbal, bitter-green floral, a wet forest floor, a bit smoky, and totally organic. Some have called it dirty, but I dont find it to be. There's a difference between earthy and dirty. Assaulting, some have said, and I agree. It's a vintage powerhouse. Sillage and logevity beast. Tread very, very carefully.
The dry down lifts and lightens the fragrance, it actually reminds me of the Liz Claiborne fragrance in the yellow triangle bottle, which I wore circa 1998. Very similar.
It's epic, for sure. Not for everyone. You have to smell it for yourself, and if you prefer more modern perfume offerings, you'll probably hate it. Heck, based in the reviews here, you'll probably hate it anyway.
Apply it lightly and give it hours before deciding. I had to wear it 3 times before purchasing, and I've started with just the purse spray bottle. I spray into the air and walk through. Wish there was a rollerball. It's basically too powerful to spray directly on oneself.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I was given this perfume and its body lotion as a gift, but I must say I absolutely hate them both. I gave away the perfume immediately to a friend who liked it and thought it reminded her of her grandma's perfumes (literally though!). I kept the body lotion thinking I would be able to use it somehow, but no. Although the initial strong smell fades away after a few minutes, I found myself abhorred by the smell whenever I came to feel it. It is really strong and gives me a total headache. I really absolutely cannot stand this scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While reading reviews for AE, have to stifle a chuckle. If one doesn't think AE is a polarizing fragrance, please send them to MUA to read reviews. :)

Personally, I really like AE. It's not my signature fragrance, but when I wear this, it uplifts my mood. Wearing AE brings to mind walking through a botanical garden, or a moss ladened forest after a rainfall ~ fresh, crisp, earthy, green and mossy. It's the equivalent of how one could easily perceive clothes would smell if hung on a clothesline in a botanical garden after a rainfall.

As with any fragrance, olfactory senses, and body chemistry, determine if one likes a fragrance or not. However, I think there's a possibility some (not all) people don't care for AE because they spritzed heavily on pulse points, or sat beside someone who did so. AE is a room clearer, if not applied with a soft touch. My method of application is to spritzed a small amount in the air, and quickly whisk my arm through the particles floating downward.

I own the sleek bottle with Aromatics Elixir written at the bottom; however, would like to also own the lovely floral bottle.

If possible, would rate with 4.5 lippies.

AEs genius is that it is mellows into a nutty, clean, slightly bitter scent that references classic 1970s green chypres without being as musty, overly phenolic, leathery or dated. For my skin chemistry, it's easier to handle than EL azuree, aliage or Piguets Bandit, the latter of which is overly phenolic for me. If you sense that those chypres are almost to your taste, but not quite, then perhaps AE is worth trying. AE is less overtly green IMO. If, on the other hand, you are happy with today's gourmands or relatively sweetened rose patchouli chypres without moss, then AE will probably be too historic, bitter and challenging.

It helps if you like strong openings like Montale bLack oud (medicinal iodine); camphor in tuberose criminelle; leather in Lys Epona. Modern luxury niche perfumers like Roja Dova Fetish or Nuwa are returning to this type of fragrance, so this is a way to test the genre without spending a lot.

Gorgeous and unisex IF DON'T OVERAPPLY; one dab is enough. A single spray can be way too much; more can make you tear up and feel it in your sinuses. AE's makes me think of bitter walnuts, slightly green, perhaps grass that contributes a little freshness. The nutty aspect mellows the bitter aspect - it's not bracing, but mellow, dark and deep. I don't get a bright Galbanum blast like vintage vent verte extrait, square glass bottle- not the bottle with the celery top stopper. (I love vintage vent vert for different reasons)

After I have sampled a wide variety of non-gourmand dry rose chypres, I clearly see the progression from bitter walnut to herbs to grass underscored with rose. (Nahema, in contrast, is bitter walnut green scent that trumpets fruit and rose extremely loudly). IMO, AE is also much easier to wear than other traditional chypres: the aforementioned aliage and azuree; vintage diorella (citric water fruit plus weird savory quality); the mainly melon un Parfum de Therese; overly phenolic bandit, miss Balmain, or vintage miss dior (leather chypre); or vintage rochas femme (spice)or jolie madame (distinct violet tinged leather chypre). AE is far less sweet than Voleur de Roses which is generally thought of as an unsweetened rose patchouli tinged with plum. Both AE and VdR are favorites, although AE is more challenging.

I have the vintage aromatics elixir and a bit of modern blend. In a side by side comparison on my wrist, both smell similar, but in the modern one, I can more clearly single out patchouli (which in modern usage seems to define modern chypre). if I really compare, the modern one seems a bit one dimensional, but only in a side by side survey. Given IFRA and EU restrictions on ingredients, I think that the fact that EL can manufacture a version of AE that is so close to the original is a miracle. It's also refreshing that the patchouli doesn't appear super dirty (headshop or stale bong water) or super clean, white gourmand patchouli either. The fragrance is a bit medicinal to my untrained nose in the opening, but that is part of its charm. Both versions are well priced per ml.

Note: my DH remarked that it smelt like a mainstream department store scent when he was in middle school or high school. Which was pretty much an accurate observation on his part. I am wondering if my MIL wore it at some point after youth dew and before opium.

I have been using this scent for years, as another reviewer states it is a timeless classic. It is a dense heavy scent and you really don't need much. I would say it is more suitable for evening wear. It always gets lots of compliments. The only downside I find is it can be difficult to just spritz a little on as the pump spray tends to to be hard to control & you end up with a full spray which is often too much.

I also use the body smoother which is much less overpowering and subtle & lasts ages. I often just smooth this on my neck - I find I get more compliments using the cream than the perfume.

I also wanted to say how AMAZING the Aromatics talcum powder is. Yes it's expensive (for talc!) However, it is like nothing you have every tried before!! It is so soft & the talc is actually a golden colour. The thing this works amazing on the most is my hair!! I use it as a dry shampoo and it hides in roots in between colouring because of the golden colour & the smell is divine!! This is a luxury but it lasts me a whole year so that's how I justify purchasing it! :)

Urgh, made me gag after having it on for a couple of hours. It has as quite unpleasant smell that seems to be exacerbated the longer you wear it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

its a timeless classic and has a wonderful smell, this fragrance is my absolute favorite its very hard for me to describe the smell but I love it, and it has some sentimental value to me.

Popular Fragrances