October 21, 2014 | 1204 users online

Fragrances - Clinique - Aromatics Elixir

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2014 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Aimbl

Gorgeous if you don't overapply. A single spray is way too much. A tiny dab on one wrist is sufficient for the entire body for the entire day.mellows into a beautiful herbal nutty bitter skin scent that smells clean and modern. When you dab it on, you get a feeling that the is a complex structured scent that references historic type chypre. However, AE's genius is that it is NOT musty. It makes me think of bitter walnuts, slightly green, perhaps grass that contributes a little freshness. The nutty aspect mellows the bitter aspect - it's not bracing, but mellow, dark and deep. I don't get any Galbanum blast like vintage vent verte extrait, square glass bottle. And, it's only after I have sampled a wide variety of non-gourmand dry rose chypres that I clearly see the progression from bitter walnut to herbs to grass underscored with rose.

IMO, because of its nuttiness, perhaps, I don't get a leathery or tobacco sensation. I find this easier to wear than other traditional floral herbal chypres, such as : estee lauders azuree or aliage (which has a distinct jarring flavor interspersed with a unique note of sweetness); vintage diorella (citric water fruit plus weird savory quality, but not nearly as Melon as un Parfum de Therese); bandit, miss Balmain, or vintage miss dior (leather chypre); or vintage rochas femme or jolie madame (distinct spice). Compared to AE, even the dark unsweetened Voleur de Roses seems a bit honeyed, due to the plum wine accord underlys the dark patchouli rose. AE is a bit more challenging to wear and even earthier than VdR. Both AE and VdR are favorites.

I have the vintage aromatics elixir, but I have read that the modern versions are quite good as well. Both versions are well priced per ml.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 7:27:00 AM More reviews by Mellonz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this scent for years, as another reviewer states it is a timeless classic. It is a dense heavy scent and you really don't need much. I would say it is more suitable for evening wear. It always gets lots of compliments. The only downside I find is it can be difficult to just spritz a little on as the pump spray tends to to be hard to control & you end up with a full spray which is often too much.

I also use the body smoother which is much less overpowering and subtle & lasts ages. I often just smooth this on my neck - I find I get more compliments using the cream than the perfume.

I also wanted to say how AMAZING the Aromatics talcum powder is. Yes it's expensive (for talc!) However, it is like nothing you have every tried before!! It is so soft & the talc is actually a golden colour. The thing this works amazing on the most is my hair!! I use it as a dry shampoo and it hides in roots in between colouring because of the golden colour & the smell is divine!! This is a luxury but it lasts me a whole year so that's how I justify purchasing it! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by babycat1973

Urgh, made me gag after having it on for a couple of hours. It has as quite unpleasant smell that seems to be exacerbated the longer you wear it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 8:55:00 PM More reviews by oilyteen

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

its a timeless classic and has a wonderful smell, this fragrance is my absolute favorite its very hard for me to describe the smell but I love it, and it has some sentimental value to me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 7:24:00 AM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

THE chypre of the century. Intellectual, timeless, earthy, clean yet dark. Hard to believe Clinique makes it, and sells it alongside the insipid Happys. Instantly recognizable, and I have instant respect for any woman who wears it.

I am so excited to report that I have found a way to enjoy Aromatics for myself! Historically, I've found the EDP and even the body products too overwhelming to my sinuses; in addition, my skin seemed to amp up the indolic jasmine component (not my favorite part of AE). I recently discovered that in Europe, this is sold as an eau de TOILETTE. And that EDT is available on eBay. And that EDT is luminous and sheer, delivering the signature AE otherworldly patchouli waft without the indoles. It comes in 1.5 ounce bottles and costs around $40. GET IT.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 9:41:00 AM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

Absolutely beautiful! Can i just start by getting that out of the way? This is not one of those "prettied up" sugary florals. I seem to be a patchouli fiend & this has lots of patchouli! It's a real beauty. Head kicking sillage so easy on the spray. When i spritzed it on it made me think of walking in the back garden of a country manor, it has tons of trees growing out back with flowers & dirt & moss. I'm wrapped up in a comfy sweater on a chilly Autumn morning, i have sprayed this on....It's like a big comfy cloud of goodness. Love this!! I sat in the train with an old lady wearing this in summer & it's so beautiful I had to tell her how good she smelled. Really classy, great scent!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/5/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by BrigitteBardot

I wanted to add a stronger perfume to my fragrance wardrobe, and I thought I'd retest this. It was one of the first perfumes I ever tried. My mom has worn this for many years. It's not for me. I think if you're young and want a "loud" perfume,. something like Thierry Mugler's Alien is better.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2014 5:18:00 PM More reviews by kjknees

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

A beautiful, unusual scent. Strangely enough reminds me of how expensive lipstick used to smell, times about 1,000. If you love chypres, you'll love this scent, but beware--a previous reviewer mentioned her dislike of Youth Dew (sold, of course, by Clinique's owner, Estee Lauder), and if you don't like that type of scent, you should probably avoid this. Very herbal but also with strong floral notes--NOT sweet, very dark and velvety--and TONS of sillage. If scents were drinks, this one would be espresso--strong, bitter, and addictive, if it's to your taste, and best enjoyed in very small quantities (n.b., it doesn't smell like coffee). If you are a habitual oversprayer, limit yourself to about half a pump from your bottle--this is a tank of a perfume, and you'll give yourself an asthma attack and everyone around you a headache if you spray as you would another scent. As intriguing as a niche perfume, but (unlike most niche fragrances) the pricing is really reasonable, and given the power of this scent, the small bottle will last you for years.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/6/2014 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Blondiebec

Absolutely vile! Always thought youth dew by Estée Lauder was the worst I had ever smelled but this one beat it. My partner described it as walking into a shop in Glastonbury full of incense. To be honest I think incense comes above this wretched, disgusting, intoxicating stink!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by LyrA236

Aromatics Elixir is not for you if you prefer a sweet or "fresh" scent. While it can be applied lightly, it is not something that strikes you as "light." This is a very complex, dry herbal scent, and it is by no means soft or dreamy. In fact, it is rather cerebral. There are flowers. There is citrus. But the overall impression is a palette of deep, mossy green notes. Someone mentioned that this scent is "chilly." Yes, I can see that. It does well in winter. The dry down is woody. As deep and uncompromising as this is, I would not call it loud. Please do not decide after the first sniff. You must live in this a while. And go easy.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No