Clinique Aromatics Elixir

3.0

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While reading reviews for AE, have to stifle a chuckle. If one doesn't think AE is a polarizing fragrance, please send them to MUA to read reviews. :)

Personally, I really like AE. It's not my signature fragrance, but when I wear this, it uplifts my mood. Wearing AE brings to mind walking through a botanical garden, or a moss ladened forest after a rainfall ~ fresh, crisp, earthy, green and mossy. It's the equivalent of how one could easily perceive clothes would smell if hung on a clothesline in a botanical garden after a rainfall.

As with any fragrance, olfactory senses, and body chemistry, determine if one likes a fragrance or not. However, I think there's a possibility some (not all) people don't care for AE because they spritzed heavily on pulse points, or sat beside someone who did so. AE is a room clearer, if not applied with a soft touch. My method of application is to spritzed a small amount in the air, and quickly whisk my arm through the particles floating downward.

I own the sleek bottle with Aromatics Elixir written at the bottom; however, would like to also own the lovely floral bottle.

If possible, would rate with 4.5 lippies.

on 9/24/2014 2:59:00 PM

AEs genius is that it is mellows into a nutty, clean, slightly bitter scent that references classic 1970s green chypres without being as musty, overly phenolic, leathery or dated. For my skin chemistry, it's easier to handle than EL azuree, aliage or Piguets Bandit, the latter of which is overly phenolic for me. If you sense that those chypres are almost to your taste, but not quite, then perhaps AE is worth trying. AE is less overtly green IMO. If, on the other hand, you are happy with today's gourmands or relatively sweetened rose patchouli chypres without moss, then AE will probably be too historic, bitter and challenging.

It helps if you like strong openings like Montale bLack oud (medicinal iodine); camphor in tuberose criminelle; leather in Lys Epona. Modern luxury niche perfumers like Roja Dova Fetish or Nuwa are returning to this type of fragrance, so this is a way to test the genre without spending a lot.

Gorgeous and unisex IF DON'T OVERAPPLY; one dab is enough. A single spray can be way too much; more can make you tear up and feel it in your sinuses. AE's makes me think of bitter walnuts, slightly green, perhaps grass that contributes a little freshness. The nutty aspect mellows the bitter aspect - it's not bracing, but mellow, dark and deep. I don't get a bright Galbanum blast like vintage vent verte extrait, square glass bottle- not the bottle with the celery top stopper. (I love vintage vent vert for different reasons)

After I have sampled a wide variety of non-gourmand dry rose chypres, I clearly see the progression from bitter walnut to herbs to grass underscored with rose. (Nahema, in contrast, is bitter walnut green scent that trumpets fruit and rose extremely loudly). IMO, AE is also much easier to wear than other traditional chypres: the aforementioned aliage and azuree; vintage diorella (citric water fruit plus weird savory quality); the mainly melon un Parfum de Therese; overly phenolic bandit, miss Balmain, or vintage miss dior (leather chypre); or vintage rochas femme (spice)or jolie madame (distinct violet tinged leather chypre). AE is far less sweet than Voleur de Roses which is generally thought of as an unsweetened rose patchouli tinged with plum. Both AE and VdR are favorites, although AE is more challenging.

I have the vintage aromatics elixir and a bit of modern blend. In a side by side comparison on my wrist, both smell similar, but in the modern one, I can more clearly single out patchouli (which in modern usage seems to define modern chypre). if I really compare, the modern one seems a bit one dimensional, but only in a side by side survey. Given IFRA and EU restrictions on ingredients, I think that the fact that EL can manufacture a version of AE that is so close to the original is a miracle. It's also refreshing that the patchouli doesn't appear super dirty (headshop or stale bong water) or super clean, white gourmand patchouli either. The fragrance is a bit medicinal to my untrained nose in the opening, but that is part of its charm. Both versions are well priced per ml.

Note: my DH remarked that it smelt like a mainstream department store scent when he was in middle school or high school. Which was pretty much an accurate observation on his part. I am wondering if my MIL wore it at some point after youth dew and before opium.

on 6/25/2014 7:27:00 AM

I have been using this scent for years, as another reviewer states it is a timeless classic. It is a dense heavy scent and you really don't need much. I would say it is more suitable for evening wear. It always gets lots of compliments. The only downside I find is it can be difficult to just spritz a little on as the pump spray tends to to be hard to control & you end up with a full spray which is often too much.

I also use the body smoother which is much less overpowering and subtle & lasts ages. I often just smooth this on my neck - I find I get more compliments using the cream than the perfume.

I also wanted to say how AMAZING the Aromatics talcum powder is. Yes it's expensive (for talc!) However, it is like nothing you have every tried before!! It is so soft & the talc is actually a golden colour. The thing this works amazing on the most is my hair!! I use it as a dry shampoo and it hides in roots in between colouring because of the golden colour & the smell is divine!! This is a luxury but it lasts me a whole year so that's how I justify purchasing it! :)

on 6/23/2014 7:56:00 AM

Urgh, made me gag after having it on for a couple of hours. It has as quite unpleasant smell that seems to be exacerbated the longer you wear it.

on 6/22/2014 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

its a timeless classic and has a wonderful smell, this fragrance is my absolute favorite its very hard for me to describe the smell but I love it, and it has some sentimental value to me.

on 6/12/2014 7:24:00 AM

THE chypre of the century. Intellectual, timeless, earthy, clean yet dark. Hard to believe Clinique makes it, and sells it alongside the insipid Happys. Instantly recognizable, and I have instant respect for any woman who wears it.

I am so excited to report that I have found a way to enjoy Aromatics for myself! Historically, I've found the EDP and even the body products too overwhelming to my sinuses; in addition, my skin seemed to amp up the indolic jasmine component (not my favorite part of AE). I recently discovered that in Europe, this is sold as an eau de TOILETTE. And that EDT is available on eBay. And that EDT is luminous and sheer, delivering the signature AE otherworldly patchouli waft without the indoles. It comes in 1.5 ounce bottles and costs around $40. GET IT.

on 5/21/2014 9:41:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Absolutely beautiful! Can i just start by getting that out of the way? This is not one of those "prettied up" sugary florals. I seem to be a patchouli fiend & this has lots of patchouli! It's a real beauty. Head kicking sillage so easy on the spray. When i spritzed it on it made me think of walking in the back garden of a country manor, it has tons of trees growing out back with flowers & dirt & moss. I'm wrapped up in a comfy sweater on a chilly Autumn morning, i have sprayed this on....It's like a big comfy cloud of goodness. Love this!! I sat in the train with an old lady wearing this in summer & it's so beautiful I had to tell her how good she smelled. Really classy, great scent!

I wanted to add a stronger perfume to my fragrance wardrobe, and I thought I'd retest this. It was one of the first perfumes I ever tried. My mom has worn this for many years. It's not for me. I think if you're young and want a "loud" perfume,. something like Thierry Mugler's Alien is better.

on 2/17/2014 5:18:00 PM

A beautiful, unusual scent. Strangely enough reminds me of how expensive lipstick used to smell, times about 1,000. If you love chypres, you'll love this scent, but beware--a previous reviewer mentioned her dislike of Youth Dew (sold, of course, by Clinique's owner, Estee Lauder), and if you don't like that type of scent, you should probably avoid this. Very herbal but also with strong floral notes--NOT sweet, very dark and velvety--and TONS of sillage. If scents were drinks, this one would be espresso--strong, bitter, and addictive, if it's to your taste, and best enjoyed in very small quantities (n.b., it doesn't smell like coffee). If you are a habitual oversprayer, limit yourself to about half a pump from your bottle--this is a tank of a perfume, and you'll give yourself an asthma attack and everyone around you a headache if you spray as you would another scent. As intriguing as a niche perfume, but (unlike most niche fragrances) the pricing is really reasonable, and given the power of this scent, the small bottle will last you for years.

on 2/6/2014 5:21:00 PM

Absolutely vile! Always thought youth dew by Estée Lauder was the worst I had ever smelled but this one beat it. My partner described it as walking into a shop in Glastonbury full of incense. To be honest I think incense comes above this wretched, disgusting, intoxicating stink!

Popular Fragrances