L'Artisan Fragrances Tea for Two

3.4

smoky tea, bergamot, cinnamon, ginger, honey, vanilla (from lartisanparfumeur.com)

on 1/13/2015 2:30:00 PM

Given my personal taste, this is really a 3.5. However, I am bumping it up to four stars because, if you like sweetened black tea fragrance with a twist (generally sweet or gourmand is not my thing), I believe that this is worth hunting down even at slightly inflated secondary market prices. This is an Olivia Giacobetti gourmand fragrance for L'Artesan Perfumers with smokey tea, incense, tobacco, with a strong hint of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, anise, vanilla and honey. (I should mention that I am not a fan of Bernard Duchafour or L'Artesan generally or even Olivia Giacobetti (though I used to wear OG's En Passant and I adore even the modern iterations of Almairac's 1993 Voleur de Roses for L'Artesan).

I do love the underlying tea tannins that have a hint of arid tarriness and smoke incense. (I am a fan of CdG's Avignon's rendition of incense). This is not overly tarry or phenolic (which in other fragrances can cause issues with my skin chemistry).
I also love the impression of black chai made without milk and the feeling that the honey and vanilla isn't quite blended in completely. It calls to mind tea done in the manner of 1990s Barney's NY style modern and black. It's urban cosy with just a hint of arid desert. Although I get a hint of arid, it's not overwhelmingly sweet powdery like Fumerie Turque (so my opinion differs that way from a reviewer below). It's also not as sweet as Menchant Loupe.

If it were less sweet, It would be more to my taste. In its favor, it is not artificially flavored like some modern fragrances (what pops to mind is SL's Jeau de Peaux, ugh). Bizarrely, in the heat of summer, I feel like wearing a dab of Guerlain pamplemousse rose (itself an acquired taste) on the back of my neck and a dab of this on the wrists. (I am a dabber, not a sprayer which reduces silage and strength).

If this is Barney's NY, I am a woman who grew up shopping at Bergdorfs; it's just a different kind of thing. I also prefer to wear vintage Caron or Guerlain extrait in winter. Your mileage may vary.

Note: in its favor, it doesn't smell at all mass produced like a drug store chai candle.

on 1/1/2014 2:27:00 AM

I think this is my second review of Tea for Two by L'Artisan. I still have half of the bottle I received as a Christmas gift (by request) several years ago. I was so captivated by this spicy and exotic fragrance for so long. Nothing else topped my list. And my fragrance list is very, very long.

I still love it. I love it so much I was sad but strangely relieved when I heard that L'Artisan discontinued Tea for Two, because it would force me to move on to a new favorite. Lately, I've been trying to fall in love with older, classic fragrances, such as Yves Saint Laurent's Opium (a deep, dark, smoldering oriental). I sprayed the back of my right hand with Opium EDT at Ulta today. Then I ordered a bottle.

But I still cherish the remains of my Tea for Two bottle. I love to spray it on my hair when I'm dressed up for an occasion. It has great staying power, and when I move, I can often smell it floating up from my scarf or clothing.

Even reading the pyramid of notes causes me to crave this fragrance:

Top notes are bergamot, star anise and tea; middle notes are cinnamon, ginger, spices and gingerbread; base notes are honey, vanilla, leather and tobacco.

I don't see star anise in many perfumes. I do see licorice notes at times. Maybe that's what pushes Tea for Two over the line and into a category all its own.

I've read that Tea for Two was marketed as a unisex fragrance. But I find it to be filled with feminine mystique: warm, sensual, and mysterious. Maybe L'Artisan will bring this back. Although my favorites are often discontinued. I felt similar disappointment when L'Occitane discontinued Ambre L`Occitane en Provence for women.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens is the only fragrance I can think of that could replace Tea for Two in my collection. Fumerie Turque is accurately categorized as unisex. It's brave, bold, smoky, spicy, and it takes "deep and dark" to the next level. But it possesses no femininity at all.

on 10/16/2012 5:45:00 PM

Either my nose or my skin causes this to just smell Smokey. It reminds me of when women smoke, and then try to cover the smell with perfume. I don't hate it, but I just can't get past the smoke element. My husband even asked me if I'd been around a friend who smokes.

on 8/28/2012 8:29:00 AM

Bought it , tested it and returned it...
a wonderful Lapsang Suchong scent with milky undertones....reminds me a lot of L'Erbolario Meharees or Frapin 1270 scents...
balmy, smoky, cinamonny milk teao.....really wonderful...
)I'm talking about the old version....)
but not for me:)

Others have already said it all, it's a lovely unique fragrance. But as much as I love it, I find it somehow too foody. This is what I like my kitchen to smell like on a rainy chilly afternoon. Warm smell of honey, hot tea in the teapot, cozy atmosphere with a touch of something smokey. I am not sure if this is what I want ME to smell like.

on 9/6/2011 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a wonderful chai tea and vanilla scent. The spices are light and airy (it has a similar impression as Bulgari The Vert, although that is lemony and floral) and the vanilla never gets too cloying or synthetic to me. There's a wonderful, almost smoky and medicinal edge to the opening that I find addictive. I found this to be a good office perfume, and I'm really, really tempted to get a full bottle.

on 3/17/2011 10:06:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The name does not sum up this fragrance at all. I get very little tea from this. I mostly get a smoky, spicy, slightly sweet oriental fragrance. It kind of smells like those sugar coated jelly candies that had a variety of flavors, and there was one jelly that was spicy, and as a kid I avoided those and ate all the cherry and grape ones. The spicy ones got hard and stale.

Theres something about it that reminds me of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla, but a tamer version. I find it to be a comfort scent. Something to wear for yourself and not for others since the only way other people can smell it is if their noses are smashed up on your skin.

Its a interesting scent but not FBW due to the fact that it has such poor sillage. Longevity is nothing to brag about either. But Ive found this to be the case with all the L'art scents Ive tried so far.

on 1/20/2011 12:12:00 PM

Notes: star anise and tea; cinnamon, ginger, spices; honey and vanilla.

This fragrance opens with a spectacular tea note framed by honey and spices. Although tobacco is not listed as a note, it is definitely present here. The tobacco note adds to the richness of the aroma and blends perfectly with the tea. This is a true comfort scent: it envelops you in its golden warmth and intoxicates you with its delicious fumes. If this fragrance were a place, Id say it is an English country manor in autumn and tea is served in the library. There are moments the fragrance veers towards Christmas cookie territory, but it never crosses the line, it is an oriental - but not a gourmand scent. Lasts for roughly 6 hours on my skin.

on 1/1/2011 9:50:00 PM

This isn't terrible, but didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. Mostly because my skin chemistry seemed to amp the smokiness and cloak all the wonderful spice notes. And I don't get chai from this at all. I'll probably use the rest of my sample but won't bother buying a bottle.

on 10/6/2010 11:25:00 PM

The first time I smelled this fragrance, I thought it smelled chilly. There are spices, yes, but I did not get the impression of warmth from them. However, recently I've been wearing it again and I smell more vanilla along with the spiciness. I really like it. It is easy to wear and not overwhelming. It is cozy without being a one trick pony--I think this would be appropriate for work, running errands, dinner out, or staying at home. I think it is a dignified spicy sweet scent. I do not smell any smoke on my skin, for which I am grateful.

Popular Fragrances