September 2, 2014 | 1240 users online

Fragrances - Caron - Alpona

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This review is for the urn parfum from Paris. It's beautiful. It is a smoothed-out green fragrance of being outdoors; it has the stunning Caron base. I would love to have a decant of this. None of the floral notes stood out, and the citrus was discernable only in the very beginning. Notes: lemon, grapefruit, bergamot, rose, orange, jasmine, orchid, thyme, patchouli, myrrh, cedar, sandalwood, musk, and oakmoss.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2009 9:50:00 PM More reviews by givemesomescents

If you love chypre then this is for you. It is one of the most well-crafted chypres perfumery has to offer. I just ordered if from the Manhattan Caron boutique and the woman told me Caron will be discontinuing it. *sniff* And with the upcoming oakmoss restrictions chypre lovers order up!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/13/2008 7:23:00 PM More reviews by talintyre

Nice cold weather citrus opening and I was getting quite smitten for about 15 minutes but then it went into the old lady drydown, boring,!! Husband distinctly unimpressed, as was I. Definitely try the sample before purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2008 4:15:00 PM More reviews by MizLiz211

I am not especially fond of citrus-heavy perfumes, but I do like Alpona! It was introduced in 1939 for the World's Fair in New York, and it must have been quite daring in its day. It's daring (for a "women's" perfume, though anyone could wear Alpona) even today: A glittering burst of citrus fruits, gorged on sunlight and liquor, on a mossy chypre base. I find the opening very fresh and juicy, while the drydown is a more candied citrus. This would make a fabulous, sophisticated summer perfume. I have heard reports that Caron is about to either discontinue Alpona or only sell it from its Paris boutique. I hope that only the latter one turns out to be true!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by chattykathy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Taken directly from the Caron website:
THE STORY
In 1939, driven by an insatiable passion for original fragrances, CARON discovered a new universe previously unknown to the perfumer: the Hesperides Garden.
Defying the Hesperides, guardians of this fabled place, CARON stole the secret of immortality from the Greek gods: the famous “golden apples.”
That’s how Alpona was born, associating, for the first time, flowers with lemon and grapefruit. These “Hespéridé” fragrances –– in nose speak –– endow the perfume with an astonishingly modern touch, evoking the gentle freshness of a Mediterranean orchard, its fruits gorged on sunlight "......
Well if all of this was true I probably wouldn't love this fragrance as much as I do. Fruity florals are the farthest thing from something I enjoy wearing. I think the description does in some way capture the spirit of this parfum. There is something about it that just sparkles and grabs you. If there is such a thing as a "dark" sparkle, this is it. It starts out as a harsh, citrusy scent that nearly smells like a cheap mens cologne. As usual, that frightening beginning dissipates and the true glory of the parfum is revealed. This is earthy, deep and playful all at once. I pick up on the brightness of citrus but the ctirus on me is more of a suggestion. It's not in your face lemon and orange, it gives this composition some energy and lifts it form being just another predictable musty chypre. (sorry, not a huge chypre fan except for a few exceptions and my bias is showing here). The oakmoss and patchouli beautifully round this out and give it a body and luxe quality that is rarely found in a scent like this .As with all Carons in my experience this is seamless and so well blended that you cannot really pick out particular notes easliy. It is a testament to Caron and the quality of their parfums, that there are quite a few notes in there fragrances that I normally dislike and they manage to make them very palatable for me. I cannot think of any other parfum out there that comes even close to this in this category. Definitely worth checking out if you want to try something unique and off the beaten path.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2007 6:39:00 PM More reviews by weinhaled

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

caron's alpona extrait is currently the shelf's golden child--warm, evolutive, and masculine in that ms. earhart way (but not as angular as miss dior, for instance, its more honeyed). like most carons, its best characteristic is that it is compellllling. you want to know more, more, more, yet you never hit that wall that says 'cologne here', you just eventually meet with warm skin. if that makes sense. no stabs in the nose i mean. this would be a dream on a man as well. (note, i have a totally different experience with non-extrait carons. nuit de noel is a cinnabon, yatagan is cliche magie noir...puh...)

i have been wearing alpona with 'flights' of parfum so i have foils. using three of a similar bent: vintage miss dior, the current alpona, and vintage replique by raphael. to summarize, miss dior is the woman who lives on her wits, alpona is the woman who lives on her looks, and replique is the woman who lives on capital... XD

vintage raphael replique after a half hour is a very highbrow skin scent. it wears close and makes miss dior seem so strident and arriviste, and really points up the seducer in alpona. replique smells of warm honeyed fruit, amber, leather...and clean diapers? it smells of a very bien eleve young mother...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2006 12:23:00 PM More reviews by deantiquer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is something very different. The notes don't tell you the story at all. And, on me, it's different from the way it is on may others. This is one you have to try on skin, and let it evolve. This is, on me, very deep and smoky incensy. I don't get sharp green at all. It's very soft and elegant. The tomboy descriptions don't fit for me either. It's more what I would describe as primal, and maybe a bit dirty/decayed the way woods disintegrate into the earth. And it's potent. One drop spread across two wrists. My first of the urn fragrances. Most don't choose Alpona, but if it works for you, it will be stellar.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2006 12:53:00 AM More reviews by Suzy_Queue

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

What I learned from Alpona: If you stick too closely to your little list of favorite notes, you just might miss some of your best-ever fragrances. I never got around to trying this particular Caron because it was billed as a citrus frag--and a grapefruit one at that. I don't hate citrus, but I have about 0 interest in it as leading player in my fragrances. I only bothered to try Alpona because when it comes to Caron, I am a completist. Well. Guess what? Hello, Lemming!! Another reviewer says that she'll refrain from listing notes, and I can see her point. This is an exceedingly well-crafted fragrance that is all about synergy and magical sums which are higher than the apparent totals of their parts. It is rich, sophisticated, alluring--as are many Caron extraits. What makes this one special is that gentle, soft BITE. It latches right on to you and you might not even know that it GOT you. I think it's the grapefruit. But this fragrance is so perfectly balanced that you aren't aware of any one note (or at least, *I* am not), they all work together to form some new and different accord, as if it were some new kind of fruit or spice, one that is very warm and glowing. Even the moss is in check, and Alpona is a chypre that comes off as sophisticated and inviting at the same time.Just beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2005 12:35:00 PM More reviews by raincheck

If Alpona was a color it would be a drab olive. I don't mean this in a negative way. It is a "dirty" green scent. Starts off very green and then starts to smell dirty, like pulling weeds from dry earth. Then it takes on a slighty orange note. It's interesting, but not my favorite Caron.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2005 11:19:00 PM More reviews by cacvsp

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Mystified by the hype about this one. Didnt like like the initial blast. Hmmmm-maybe the great part is the drydown. No--dont like that either! I was excited to try this one but find it too strong. Maybe because I had received it along with Tabac Blond and had it on my other wrist at the same time--Two different
Carons entirely. One of my HG perfumes is the wonderful Mitsouko--I never smelled two perfumes less alike , on me anyway