September 23, 2014 | 2010 users online

Fragrances - Donna Karan - Chaos

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know why I don't get this one out more. It is supposed to be a calming herbal and woody scent, to bring some balance to one's chaos. I think it smells like a sandalwood soda, if there were ever such a thing. Effervescent and woody, with something like a cherry apple compote and spices. There isn't any fruit listed in the notes though. It isn't foody, just very interesting and unusual. I like to spray this into a little body lotion for all-over light and soothing scent. I also love to spray it on my duvet.

Notes per fragrantica: sage, coriander, spices and exotic woods.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/28/2013 8:20:00 PM More reviews by delish288

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I remember wearing the body lotion and received a small bottle of fragrance, wow what a fragrance. I smelled so good, soft, cuddly and warm. Then we had a fire in the garage, which sent smoke through the house and my sil happened to receive all my fragrances including the large bottle that I did purchase. So half a bottle of body lotion and almost the entire bottle went. then it got discontinued. Wow what heartbreak for me. I did purchase the newer model which is so much stronger. How I wish the old chaos had just been rebottled and not tweaked, too strong for me now.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2013 10:07:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was lucky enough to try a sample of the original version of this. Although I'm a perfume lover I'll admit I'm a complete novice at detecting notes etc. All I can say is its a gorgeous deep scent with sandalwood and many other spicy notes. I would buy this again but I found quite a similar sent in the Armani Prive line, I believe it was Cedre Olympe but I could be wrong :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/18/2012 9:04:00 PM More reviews by emilyasalways

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this after a friend repeatedly urged me to do so because I like Black Cashmere: she claimed this was similar, but "much better." Perhaps the original version was different, but the one I tried (Chaos reissued) was vile. This reminds me of two things: the liniment I put on my horse's legs and a sharp, rancid, one-dimensional perversion of the scent of Bonne Bell lipsmackers in Cola flavour, which I had as a teenager. Revolting.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2011 10:53:00 AM More reviews by MUA23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Since I wear earthy/grassy scents, a friend gave me alarge sample size of this fragrance to try. I had never heard of it before (I live perfumes, but have never tried one from Donna Karan). I could not figure out the notes in this, so i looked them up to find an interesting mix of lavender, sage, chamomile & coriander combined with spicy and warm notes such as exotic woods, amber and musk. That's fine, but the putting these together skillfully is the key and there is nothing complex about this to me. It is lovely smelling though and I will continue to wear it. Will I purchase it? No. I'd rather save my money and get a Jo Malone or an Andy Tauer. Sorry Donna, it's just not that memorable.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by greydovefeatherwing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I heard such good things about this and I bought a bottle without even trying it first. Big mistake. Started out nice enough, root beer, some cola smell. Then.....mens cologne and aftershave. I felt like I should wear a tie and a mans suit. OMG it was sooooooooo masculine! Gross! I don't know why so many women are attracted to wearing aftershave smells these days.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2011 3:13:00 PM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I recently had a chance to try the original, and for those of you who lament missing out on it, let me assure you...this is "I want what I can't have" mentality run amuck! It is an utterly unremarkable fragrance. Everyone wants it because A) everyone else does, and B) it is very rare. If it were sold at every Target, no one would buy it because there are so many scents that are more interesting. All I'm saying is be aware of psychology when you're lemming for this. But it's not horrible at all, just very very very very very overrated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by brookebaird

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

It's not often that something is discontinued and then it comes back (thank you Donna Karan for reissuing this and Black Cashmere). This is one of the few fragrances that I am not ashamed to say I wore in the 90's. Chaos is comforting, complex, and still seems modern. It's warm, woody, and slightly fruity without being too heavy. The scent lasts for 8+ hours and I find it appealing on all but the hottest days. Whenever I wear this, I get compliments. Since it's so elusive and hard to find, it's almost a signature scent for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2010 4:35:00 AM More reviews by ocarina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Glad to see I'm not the only one who detects a HUGE topnote of Coca-Cola in Chaos...complete with "fizz". It delightfully sweetens what would otherwise be a bone-dry incense/herbal scent. I am curious at the reviewers who call this a loud and wafting fragrance. On me it is very, very intimate and soft with hardly any sillage (deducting a lipstick for that and fow the below-average lasting power). I used to own a bottle of this before it became the most coveted DCd scent around, but now my bottle is the slick black cylinder that all re-released DK fragrances come in. Really nice and worth owning...not your average incense for sure!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2009 8:19:00 AM More reviews by izika

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't know if it's just me but this fragrance reminds me of Shiseido's Feminite du Bois.
Like Feminite du Bois it's a lovely woody floral, a bit soft with the sillage and hardly noticeable. I wear it to work.