April 20, 2014 | 1333 users online

Fragrances - Guerlain - Mitsouko

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by franzvonstuck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Right from the start, I never bought this perfume, just tested it.

And as you guess from this statement, I´d never buy this perfume for me.

Finding a new perfume is alway a chore for me. Right now, I have exactly 1 perfume I´d buy again and 2 others I don´t bother to buy again.

I thought I´d stray from my usual clean-scented perfumes and find something completely different for me.

Most perfumes smell awful on my skin. It´s just my skin´s chemistry and I don´t blame the perfume. I´m very sensitive towards fragrances too and get a headache easily from bad perfumes.

Mitosuko was not meant for me. While I wore Samsara several years, Mitsouko smelled really bad on my skin..

One perfume review described Mitsouko´s smell:

"Mitsouko is one of the well known aromas of chypre olfactory group with cool top notes and oak moss in the base. But it also has a note of a juicy peach, which gives a clear and quite gourmand nuance. It features bergamot, peach, jasmine, may rose, spices (cinnamon), oak moss, vetiver and wood."

I definitely couldn´t smell any of the mentioned flowers or spices on my skin.

Hate to say it, but it smells like mothballs or rather clothes, that hung in a mothball filled closet for years.

It had no development on my skin, no depths, no undertones, just a flat powdery scent clinging to my skin.

In fact, it was overwhelming powdery on my skin and the whole day I wore it, I couldn´t detect any of the described undertones and basenotes.

I´d strongly suggest to test this perfume as it is a very classical scent from 1919 and if you´re used to "modern" perfumes, this migth be a olfactoric shock to you.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by frankiiekeji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got the EDP during a 6 hour wait at cdg airport after smelling some - quite frankly - atrocious scents (that's you, poeme by lancome!) and I'm glad I did.

I didn't want to rush into buying it so I spritzed some on and took a long walk to let the scent develop on my skin properly. I wasnt wowed at first spritz but when it dried, it evolved into this complex mesh of glamorous feminine elegance. I'm not usually one for powdery scents but there's truly something special about this. I find it quite alluring and it grows on me more each time I wear it. The staying power is fantastic as well.

Mine came in a classic gold box that I found quite refreshing given how busy perfume packaging can be.

If I ran out, lost or broke my bottle in a freak accident, I would definitely re-purchase

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 8:45:00 PM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've tried a few Guerlain perfumes over the years namely Shalimar, Samsara, L'Heure Bleue and Idylle. Samsara and Idylle smell divine on me but the rest (even though they smell good in the bottle) end up smelling putrid on me. I guess there's something in my DNA that just doesn't mesh well with Guerlain perfumes. Despite this, I decided to try Mitsouko mainly because I was on a Jean Harlow kick (this was reportedly her favorite perfume) and partly because I went through a very short lived phase of buying perfumes I've never smelled just because I could (By the way, this is a very silly practice and I don't advise any one do it unless you like collecting perfumes you don't use or you're super rich and simply don't care).

I'll say this much, Mitsouko is not your run of the mill, peppy fruity/floral perfume that you'll smell on every other woman if you're at the mall. As with almost all Guerlain scents, there is something moody and haunting about it. There's a darkness to it that is mellowed by the peach note and it is rather heavy. It actually is a very lovely scent that has amazing lasting power but on me, this just smells awful. Other people think it smells lovely on me but there's something in it that I just don't like. It also gives me a raging headache even if I spritz a tiny amount so, unfortunately, this will just sit in my drawer. I do take it out from time to time because the bottle is beautiful but as far as wearing it, I just can't bring myself to do it again.

If you're looking for something off beat yet classic and sophisticated, I would recommend this. I can easily see this being the signature scent of someone who can pull this off because it is an usual and unique scent that people remember.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 1:16:00 AM More reviews by SickSexFix

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

Fun fact: Jean Harlow, in addition to Ingrid Bergman, wore this fragrance as well!

I was so excited to get my hands on a small sample vial of Mitsouko EDP. The notes in this vintage fragrance sounded fascinating and Im a big fan of chypres. On me it smells warm, herbal and a bit dirty. The peach in it is not sweet at all, but a dry, subtle peach. I like the oakmoss base but unfortunately, at least on me, it smells like my hair if I didnt wash it for a week. That realization was sort of funny to me because just the week before I received my order I thought to myself "Hey, it would be super interesting if someone made a perfume that smelled like unwashed hair!". I like that scent (yeah, yeah, dont judge!). Some scents (like Costus or Civet) come off that way.. but there isnt any in this formulation. I guess its the spices or wood or just my skin that makes it smell this way. The fragrance didnt ever settle on my skin, it sort of changed every hour.

This isnt an easy fragrance to wear and its not for all occasions. Its definitely not boring! but a fascinating fragrance. It lasts for hours (just with a dab behind each ear) and the projection is average.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2013 1:58:00 PM More reviews by sillage

I thought of Mitsouko on Saturday, while I was watching the movie "Indiscreet" (1958) with Ingrid Bergman and Cary Grant. They say online at several sites that Guerlain Mitsouko was Ingrid Bergman's favorite perfume. I have also read that Charlie Chaplin wore it.

There is a scene toward the end of "Indiscreet" -- in Ingrid's bedroom -- and she's sitting at her vanity -- and Cary Grant is stomping around the room (they're fighting). And on Ingrid's vanity are many small crystal bottles, but there is one *massive* bottle on her vanity, shaped just like one of the old-fashioned disc-shaped Guerlain bottles -- with a domed pointy gold lid. You can't see the label, but if Mitsouko was her real-life fave, then perhaps this prop was her personal choice? - a representation of her own favorite perfume?

Personally, I've tried to "get" Mitsouko -- many times. I've owned EDT, EDP, and parfum versions. No, I just don't like it. So sorry, I know it's a huge fave on this board and others. Not for me. Chypres are very hit-or-miss for me -- I only like a few.

It's just too oakmossy -- like straight-up oakmoss + vetiver to me. Someone once said it smells like "pickle juice" on the board, and LOL, it really does! I totally see that. It seems to have a salty, almost briney or soy sauce quality, to me.

I just don't understand all the references to melancholy, rain, gloom, mystery, and art -- all of which appeal to me greatly. As an introvert, I feel I should love this -- but I don't get those images & feelings from this fragrance, sorry. It doesn't even really smell like perfume to me, and I long ago gave up trying to learn to appreciate it.

It came out in 1919, means "mysterious" in Japanese, and here are its notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes: Bergamot, Jasmine, Rose, Citruses
Heart Notes: Lilac, Peach, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes: Ambergris, Oakmoss, Spices, Vetiver, Cinnamon

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by aidyruth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I first sprayed this perfume on, my stomach basically dropped. I was SO disappointed. It reminded me of an old cheap perfume that I found in my mums garage when I was 4, and even as a small kid I thought it smelt gross & like an old lady. I had such high hopes.

But then, I sorta stopped thinking about it and resigned myself to washing it off later. Then, shortly after, I was like holy S**T what is that amazing smell?! It was me!!! I only used one spritz and its the perfect strength, especially for an EDT.

I'm not gonna harp on about base notes and what I can smell in this, since I am useless at that, but what I can say is give this a go, wait for the dry down and don't freak out when you first spritz it. You won't be disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Franka23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Mitsouko; her otherworldliness can render me still. She evokes a calling from the wilderness, of mountainous terrain and forests where deer forage quietly. There is a longing to be in touch with nature. We knew it so well as children once, but lost along the way.

She is truly a wildcard, this one and will take time to appreciate. Then, she hits you like an epiphany and will never let go.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by Bettyboo1969

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Classy, sophisticated, sexy & simply stunning!!! This is your evening perfume with that little black dress with pearls. I think this perfume is more for the over 40's but that's not to say someone younger cannot wear it but think it's probably suited to a more mature woman. Reminds me of my Mum who wore perfumes like this when I was a child. Very sort of 1950's type perfume. I hope Guerlain never stop making this perfume.

Oh and I have the Edt which is very long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

I deleted my 2008 review of Mitsouko because I really needed to update it .
We all know by now how reformulation and the exclusion of oakmoss has ruined many a Guerlain classic and if not so much as ruined them but changed their historical character as many of us Gueralin lovers adored.
Well in November last year, Les Sentuers in London told me to look for batch codes 2P01 and onwards as Thierry Wasser had made changes to Mitsouko to include oakmoss.
As per his Basenotes interview in 2011 - he said he has procured a low atranol IFRA apporved oakmoss .
Jo Fairley also has mentioned this same information on her blog and her twitter. So it's gotta be correct ,yes ?
He said his love for the Guerlain classics and Mitsouko meant that he wanted to restore Mitsouko .
I waited a reasonable time for the new batches ,I took my chances and ordered .....
Today I received Mitsouko extrait batch code 3N01 ( made January 2013 ) .
I nearly cried but I could not because I could not believe it... I was smelling Mitsouko in extrait as she was to me before . I had a small bottle of Mitsouko vintage extrait and this is the same smell . I am beyond excited.
Mitsouko is as close to the classic pre IFRA nonsense Mitsouko - as it will ever be - unless the IFRA will allow back more oakmoss than the 0.1 % now allowed. Oakmoss is up for review by IFRA this year so keep your fingers crossed.I am crossing fingers, toes and everything i can .

The extraits I had - made in 2010 and 2011 -were beautiful but not really that smooth mossy peachy Mitsouko - they were more floral ( iris ! ) , more shimmery peach in the heart rather than dusky peach skin and rather disjointed in total . The dry down abruptly became vetiver and then nothing much at all - in other words Mitsouko prior to this new version got lost in the top and then base ,for me at least.
The EDP of 2012 and before is good - ish but the vetiver was too much for me in the dry down - harsher ,brighter ,harder. Though I took what I could get of Mitsouko and accepted the change.

New Mitsouko 2013 is smoother , less floral ,mossier ,more golden and seamless. It seems deeper in heft and not harsh in the base.

Thierry Wasser- my respect for you was already quite great before but I respect you even more so now. Thank you for giving me back my Mitsouko . Thank you for restoring her well and keeping your word. I really do not need all my other perfumes anymore as I have myself back .Mitsouko is back !

Edit : 28th June 2013 - I just received Mitsouko EDP batch 3N01 . Very lovely . The new versions of EDP have been good but this is better. The bergamot opening is longer and the scent has more depth than the previous version . Will update in due course.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2013 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh no, this sent me heaving and gagging: I have sprayed this with a hopeful heart (and nose) and almost had my breakfast pop up and say hello! I have read through a number of components' lists for Mitsouko, but so far I am not even close to figuring out what exactly creates this "old mouldy nut" note that hits me like a train. I love every single ingredient ( from those that allegedly form the composition) on its own, especially peach! - how I can find this scent revolting is a mystery of all mysteries to me. It was so bad that i don't ever want to even try again, unless it's a vintage ( which usually is a synonym for "much better" to me, perfume-wise ). The bottle is superb, the history is thought-evoking ... What can I say: no love lost between me and Mitsouko, which is still a plus for all its lovers: one person less wearing a perfume - more space to smell original for those who do.:)