MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 2/10/2015 7:59:00 PM

Love MAC lipsticks. They don't give me any allergic reactions like some lipsticks do. They are long lasting. The fragrance is not overwhelming or offensive. And they have sooooo many color choices! Now about Russian Red as a color. It's a very good true red for when you want to really have a strong lip color. Not too orangy and doesn't turn pink after wearing it a while as some reds tend to do. I am not sure it's my "perfect" red. But it's certainly wearable and a very good one!

on 2/10/2015 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

A perfect red lip. I have very pale, olive-toned skin, and this is a flattering shade. Perhaps most importantly, it lasts a super-long time, and doesn't dry out your lips like "official" long-wear lipsticks do. It's simply a classic I've worn for decades (I first tried it after reading that it was Madonna's favorite lipstick in her 90s platinum-glam heyday).

on 1/28/2015 10:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

My favorite red lipstick and go to for any night out! Buying this shade will be one of the best make up related decisions you'll ever make.

on 1/16/2015 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This is a sort of... Dark red but not maroon. Just a shade or two darker of a standard true red.
I would disagree about those that say it's blue based. I think they only look at the depth of the color an assume it's blue based. It actually.. Isn't. I'd say it's quite neutral, maybe a tad bit warm.
Compared to Ruby Woo it's a bit darker but when you look at Ruby Woo you can see that it has a blue undertone whereas Russian Red, it doesn't have it.
It's quite creamy for a matte lipstick but still matte if that makes sense?
Creamy when you put it on but not glossy and it's super pigmented.
I find that this color would work for a lot of people.
I'd say it's universally flattering whether you're fair or have a very deep complexion, cool toned, warm toned, neutral etc
Depending on your lipcolor and undertone it can look different.
I find on skin with more color, like my cousin who's an NW40 both Ruby Woo and Russian Red look the same.
Russian Red is an amazing color to have in a collection.
Definitely need to get it :)
I'll post swatches of it compared to Ruby Woo and Lady Danger

on 1/12/2015 11:02:00 AM

I'm finally a big girl with a big girl job and big girl money so I thought it was about time I splurged and bought some big girl cosmetics so I visited my local MAC store. Up until now NYX was my go to supplier of matte lipstick because they were cheap and highly pigmented and Alabama was my favorite red lip, I doubted it could get any better. That is until I tried Russian Red at the counter and holy crap, why haven't I had a MAC lipstick before?! It has a beautiful matte finish and the deep blue-based red pairs beautifully with my complexion (dark brown hair, pale skin and blue eyes). I wore it to work the day after I purchased it and got compliments from everyone, from the barista at Starbucks to my main supervisor. It is a little drying but not nearly as badly as other matte lips I've tried, and the color pay off is worth it.

on 1/6/2015 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Curly, Fine

My best friend got this for me as a Christmas gift along with Cherry lipliner, and I seriously cannot be happier. I range from NC40 to NC44, and throughout the skin tone changes, this lipstick manages to look gorgeous. To me, this seems to be the grown up version of Ruby Woo; it is a deeper, more sumptuous red in comparison to the bright, cool toned red that is Ruby Woo. If you are looking for a more classic red, Russian Red will not let you down in the slightest :D

on 12/30/2014 8:18:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Why, oh why, haven't I bought this sooner!?! I already own Ruby Woo and Lady Danger, and I love them both dearly, but man oh man, Russian Red just swooped in and blew them both out of the water, what a gorgeous red! It's a real classic red, very pigmented, matte and it lasts forever, what more does a woman want..?

on 12/25/2014 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Perfect staple red for my NC-44 skin and stays on forever.

on 12/25/2014 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Love Russian Red! It's the perfect red for my NC40-42 skin tone. It's moisturizing and lasts for hours. I use it with MAC lip liner and it looks fab.

on 12/20/2014 4:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is the most beautifil shade of Red ever! I guess it flatters almost all skin tones..

even though the texture is a bit drying, a exfolition would very well fix that.

Overall, i love it!