MAC Russian Red

4.6

on 7/26/2015 11:11:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

***Look for my picture wearing Russian Red lipstick.

I am Asian, with a skin tone ranging from nc25-nc30. I love this lipstick. It is matte but does not dry out my lips at all! It goes on opaque and smooth. I always apply on top of a lipliner and find that it does not bleed easily. It stays on for a long time, except if I eat, then I have to reapply. I need to wear this more often!

on 7/12/2015 9:42:00 PM

This is my go to Matte Red, it is amazing. I went into MAC to get Ruby Woo because it looks so good but as soon as I swatched it on my hand I changed my mind, Even on my hand it was super dry and I don't think that would be comfortable on my lips, but enough of that. Russian Red Looks beautiful and makes your teeth look a lot whiter. It smells fantastic and goes onto the lips with ease. My only issue with it is that its not transfer proof. I doesn't move on my lips at all but for the first few hours I wear it, if I drink or eat you can see the stain it leaves on the cup etc. After a few hours it is a lot better. I find it removes easily but it also very long wearing. I will buy this again and again. I don't find this product drying at all.

on 7/7/2015 6:09:00 PM

One of my favourite red lipsticks and I have lots! In fact, this was the first ever 'proper red' I ever wore and years later it is still an essential in my make up bag. It is a lovely blue based red that looks polished yet very modern. It has a matte texture, but isn't too drying. It feels very comfortable on the lips and is long lasting. I do have to touch up between meals and drinking, as you would expect. Overall though, it lasts for hours with minimal fading. It never fails to liven up my face and I wear it during the day and also turn to it for evening make up too. It really is a very versatile red and will suit most skin tones.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

o my gaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! I finally found my holy grail red lipstick! no really...I'm in love. No exaggeration. It is the absolute perfect shade of red, It definitely stands out but in a good way. Most reds are either too bright on me to where they look obnoxious and cheap or too brown where they look more vampy. Russian red is the perfect in between yet true red shade. Definitely old hollywood glamour style. It's matte which I love and being so, the staying power is amazing! another thing I love is that despite it being matte it isn't as drying on your lips as most matte lipsticks are. Believe me I have tried oodles and oodles of red lipsticks but nothing compares to this gem. It will definitely compliment a vast array of skintones so if you're looking for that perfect shade of red look no further ladies!

on 6/16/2015 3:20:00 AM

My favorite red lipstick ever!!! I luv it in my opinion its better then ruby woo not too drying either sadly mac keeps raises its prices will i we purchase again maybe i have found a dupe nyx matte in perfect red spot on too .....still luv u Russian red! !! Just becomeing a lil pricey

This is the best red lipstick! I've tried many different red lipsticks over the years from drugstore to high end and this is the best one! It's a true red that will go with many different skin tones. It looks great on me when I have fair/pale skin and when I have a tan. This is a matte lipstick so if you like shine or a little moisture just add a clear gloss or lip balm and problem solved. I find this lipstick looks great with and without a liner. I will definitely repurchase this lipstick!

on 5/21/2015 11:16:00 PM

Cannot go wrong with this!
Perfect bright red, I absolutely love it. Looks amazing with my fair complexion.
Stays on all day, barely needs to be reapplied. Been a fan of this one for years!

Only have 2 cons -
Hard to remove and smudges very easily!!! If you get any outside of the lip line it is ridiculous to get off, you end up with red smudges everywhere!

on 4/22/2015 8:55:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my first purchase from MAC and also my first red lipstick. I bought this after i try it and compare it to Ruby Woo. Both matte but Russian Red is not as drying as Ruby Woo. It's very true red, not turn orangish or pinkish like some people experience with other red lipsticks. Very pretty and you can wear it with simple eye make-up on many occasion. Long lasting, but still need reapply after eating, otherwise it will turn up blotchy. It's classic and bold, i think every woman should have one. Definitely one of my favourite lipstick all the time.

Eyes: Violet

Originally purchased this because my all time idol madonna wore it in the express yourself video and I love it. The colour is vibrant and is nice on pale cool toned skin.
The only thing is if your not careful it can bleed and I wish it was a little longer lasting

Olive NC20, black hair, brown eyes, non-pigmented lips for reference. (I finally got properly matched for you guys!)

I bought this without actually trying it on, relying on MUA reviews, swatches, and the fact that it looked gorgeous on Bond Girl Vesper Lynd (the beautiful Eva Green) in Casino Royale. I was really nervous to try it on when I got home--I usually stick to brick reds such as Viva Glam I, NYX Alabama, and NARS Cruella, because I thought they were easier to pull off, and I was afraid this would pull garish on me as per some of the previous reviewers.

But oh my goodness, for me Russian Red is THE Red! I actually think I'm done with trying other reds out there because this is the most flattering, most perfect, timeless, classic red lipstick I own. It's definitely a bit blue-toned--I've noticed that only cool lipsticks suit me--but not as much as Ruby Woo. It pulls deeper on me, while on others it can be very bright. For the majority though, Russian Red is very neutral, which makes it incredibly easy to pull off, and I've gotten several compliments!

With my other reds, I found that I had to balance everything between my skin, my eyes, and my cheeks so that nothing was too overpowering. However, with Russian Red, I'm perfectly happy with bronzer, just a contour in my crease, and winged liner in tribute to the pin up girl style of the 1950s. Since I go to school and have to get up at 5AM to get ready (Makeup priorities. I'm just saying), this makes for a very done up yet quick and simple look that isn't nearly too fussy or "too much" for the daytime--not that I've ever listened to that rule. I've even worn Russian Red without foundation and only undereye concealer, and therefore my hyperpigmentation showed through. Fortunately, it added a lovely casual vibe to the look to make it work with a t-shirt and jeans. I use Brick lip pencil (also seen on Vesper) underneath to just trace the outline of my lips when I want to look more polished.

The formula of Russian Red, I find, isn't as creamy as Diva, and isn't as dry as VG1, but as far as mattes go, isn't bad at all. It makes my teeth look pearly white, my skin practically glow, and contrasts wonderfully with my hair and eyes. (I really hope I don't come off as vain; I just enjoyed it that much!)

As for dupes, I own Revlon Really Red, Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Standout, and Milani Matte Confident, and in my eyes, Standout is the best alternative to Russian Red. Really Red isn't quite a dupe in my opinion as everyone claims: it's also a true red, but it's lighter and dips a toe into warm tones rather than cool--it's more tomato. Standout is maybe just a hair darker (but of course enough for me to still be dissatisfied lol), and can have the tendency to feather or bleed if you don't do well with emollient lipsticks, though it's just wonderfully creamy otherwise. I might pop this on over Russian Red to give my dry lips a little more life. Confident is a smidgen darker, and a hell of a lot drier--it broke on me, and that never happens. But all of these, especially Standout, are a good place to check if the brightness might be too loud for you.

All in all, if you're like me and you aren't satisfied with dupes and you love collecting reds, you definitely need Russian Red in your life. 100% will repurchase. (Plus it smells freakin' amazing.)

Popular Lipsticks