Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Extracts of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis Leaf, Quillaja Saponaria Bark, Essential Oils of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

on 8/10/2015 10:36:00 PM

I started using this product line after trying out the Clinique 3 step system. I was looking for a non-alcoholic toner and i like to stick to the same range so my mother recommended my Dermalogica. Personally i really like this cleansing gel, it cleanses my skin nicely however i think after washing it, if i didn't put any toner/moisturizer it'll feel a little tight/dry. Also, when i first transferred from Clinique i broke out for a couple of days, not sure if because stressed/period or was this cleanser but now i rarely break out, maybe like one or two small acne before my period. I don't think this cleanser will work on people with dryer skin. When i went on holiday to brisbane for a bit, the air was very dry and my face was not hydrated enough despite the amount of water i drank. My skin is combination oily so combined with the toner + moisturizer this cleanser does the job! :)

Okay long story short. I have been a dermologica lover since the age of 15 and I am 20 years old now. However one day I was told that the certain product range I was using from the dermologica brand was meant for "adolescent skin" and was re directed to use the dermologica special cleansing gel along with 3 other products from the "adult range". I have never been so disappointed in a product relating to my skin. I have combination/oily skin and this cleanser.. yes it got rid of my oily t-zone but it dried out my skin to the point where it wasn't getting a healthy glow but rather an almost wrinkled and lifeless complexion. Yes, I do get the occasional breakouts here or there prominently on my forehead and chin but nothing to major and this face wash caused what looked like tiny little bumps ALL OVER my face. I do understand that when you change face products especially face cleansers you may breakout due to dirt that may not have surfaced before from not cleansing properly or changing to a product that promises a deep cleanse (such as the special cleansing gel) but I used this face wash for a reasonable amount of time hoping for the best but however it just seemed to get worse. As a 5 year dermologica lover it saddens me to write such a disappointing review but for the price I paid compared to my original face wash I had really high hopes. The only positive thing I can say about this product is that I quite liked the packaging, simple yet sophisticated. Also dermologica handled my complaint about the purchase very professionally and promptly and allowed me to exchange the products they had recommended for my supposedly "adolescent" face products. Great customer service but overall terrible product. If anyone is looking for a great face cleansing regime I 100% recommend the "clean start" range from dermologica!

on 7/3/2015 2:07:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff smells so good. Mm. And it lathers up on my face like crazy. It's a great face cleanser. The only reason that I wouldn't buy this again is that I'm buying more products intended for dry skin. Oily and combo skin people would love this.
I'm more interested in the effect a product has on my skin, but I have to say, if this scent was in a body wash form, I'd get jugs of it. The Dermalogica body wash smells sort of like it though

on 6/17/2015 5:10:00 PM

I had high hopes, but I don't think it does much. Dried out my skin really badly.

on 6/17/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

If you are sensitive steer clear! made my skin sting like crazy and cause it to go very very dry for 3 days. Could not do anything to soothe my face.
Will be returning this and never buying again!

One of my all time favourite cleansers. Does not dry up the skin, and cleans well. Mild scent, and does not lather too much. Been using for years and still loving it!

on 5/3/2015 6:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased the travel size since I didn't want to invest in the full size bottle which is pricey for something you're just going to wash down the drain and I must admit I liked it so much I might have to splurge on the full size. I prefer using foaming face washes with my clarisonic and this face wash only takes a small drop and will go a long way to create a good lather. After using this face wash my face feels fresh, clean and I did not have any purging or breakouts. The only negative thing about this product is the price. I will definitely try a few other face washes in hopes of finding a cheaper alternative, but if nothing else works as good as this I'll be spending a pretty penny on a full size bottle!!

on 4/7/2015 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I hate it, it gave me acne !!!! A normal drugstore cleanser would have been better. :( The only thing i like is the packaging. It comes with a pump and its easy to use.

on 3/17/2015 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

PROs:
I have been using this on and off for many years on end (I change my products on a seasonal basis for my skin's needs). It is a great cleanser. It makes my skin feel fresh and clean. Though pricey, a little goes a very long way.

CONs:
As I am getting older, my skin is aging and losing its hydration, thus I've had to move on. I don't know if this is even considered a con to be fair though (my reason for not repurchasing)

on 2/18/2015 5:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Removes dirt and makeup and leaves skin fresh and clean!