Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphodiacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Extracts of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Melissa Officinalis Leaf, Quillaja Saponaria Bark, Essential Oils of: Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), PPG 5 Ceteth 20, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

One of my all time favourite cleansers. Does not dry up the skin, and cleans well. Mild scent, and does not lather too much. Been using for years and still loving it!

on 5/3/2015 6:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I purchased the travel size since I didn't want to invest in the full size bottle which is pricey for something you're just going to wash down the drain and I must admit I liked it so much I might have to splurge on the full size. I prefer using foaming face washes with my clarisonic and this face wash only takes a small drop and will go a long way to create a good lather. After using this face wash my face feels fresh, clean and I did not have any purging or breakouts. The only negative thing about this product is the price. I will definitely try a few other face washes in hopes of finding a cheaper alternative, but if nothing else works as good as this I'll be spending a pretty penny on a full size bottle!!

on 4/7/2015 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I hate it, it gave me acne !!!! A normal drugstore cleanser would have been better. :( The only thing i like is the packaging. It comes with a pump and its easy to use.

on 3/17/2015 8:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

PROs:
I have been using this on and off for many years on end (I change my products on a seasonal basis for my skin's needs). It is a great cleanser. It makes my skin feel fresh and clean. Though pricey, a little goes a very long way.

CONs:
As I am getting older, my skin is aging and losing its hydration, thus I've had to move on. I don't know if this is even considered a con to be fair though (my reason for not repurchasing)

on 2/18/2015 5:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

Removes dirt and makeup and leaves skin fresh and clean!

I do not see what is so special about this cleanser. They should rename it Average cleansing gel instead. This cleanses no better than any other foaming cleanser I can buy at my local pharmacy.

The main cleansing agent in this cleanser is sodium laureth sulfate, and while there is nothing wrong with this agent, for some it might be too potent for others it will remove excess oil and debris nicely. Along with two other decent cleansing agents and a handful of "Natural" extracts the price really is just asking too much. It's insulting.

Although this is a decent cleanser and does indeed cleanse well, it could very well do without the fragrance components, as for their supposed calming and soothing benefits, more research is needed. Also in cleanser much of that benefit is just rinsed down the drain.

Decent, cleanses well, nicely packaged but overpriced.
Should come with fragrance free option.

on 1/26/2015 7:50:00 PM

I got a deluxe sample size of this in a kit for my birthday.
I have normal skin and just needed a cleanser to remove dirt, oil and makeup but didn't make my face feel too dry or stripped.
This is such a lovely cleanser that once I have finished my other ones I will go back and purchase the big size.
It lathers nicely and doesn't sting my face.

So happy I got to try it first as I was anxious I wouldnt like it.

on 1/15/2015 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

I bought this product because of the cult following and my obsession with the daily microfoliant. I have quite temperamental skin, it can be dry, oily, pimply or sensitive in varying combinations depending on the weather, my diet, my stress levels etc. I neither liked nor disliked this cleanser, it didn't work miracles on my skin but it also didn't break me out. Still on the hunt for my HG cleanser.

on 1/15/2015 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I've been using this cleanser for nearly a year. Unfortunately I bought the huge pump bottle do it's hard to finish. This is an average cleanser I didn't see any major improvements on my skin. To be quite honest a cheap drugstore cleanser would suffice. I'm a bit cross I got duped into buying this it's full of nasty ingredients and is totally average. I now use it to cleanse my brushes. Would never recommend.

on 1/13/2015 2:19:00 AM

I bought a dermalogica kit consisting of this cleanser, multi-active toner and active moist. I bought the kit instead of the full size products because I honestly didn't expect to like any of the products. I bought some Dermalogica products when I was 18 and wasn't overly impressed them, and thought they were overpriced (I didn't purchase this cleanser and got them cheap online, so who even knows if they were genuine). Recently, my sister has started using Dermalogica and was raving about it to me, plus her skin was looking great! So, I gave in and purchased a kit. Well let me just say, I'm impressed! This cleanser takes of all my makeup easily, it feels gentle on my skin and I swear since using it my skin looks and feels better. My skin always used to look red and irritated after cleansing, but after using this cleanser, it just looks more healthy and calm. I've used so many cleaners over the years such as clinique, estee lauder, Jan Marini, skinceuticals, obagi, neostrata etc, and I think this special cleaning gel is my favorite. I get breakouts now and then, have blackheads on my nose and chin, and also have some mild acne scarring, so normally I go for cleansers with AHA or BHA to try and help these issues. I'm surprised I like this cleanser so much considering it doesn't contain these ingredients! I hope the good results Dermalogica is giving me will continue :)